type something into google, press enter

> type something into google, press enter
> google searches through its gigantic database and applies its complex algorithms to find a match
> 0.42 seconds have passed

Everybody agrees that speed is important. Now let's switch to Rust:

> write trivial 500 line program that uses a database and webserver library
> compile
> 15 sec later: success

Rust programmers say: "This is fine, why are you compiling so often as to make this matter?"

Now my question is: Is there a clinical name for this behavior other than just "retarded"? Because they seem retarded to me. I will gladly embrace the Jai programming language when it launches sometime later this year.
Thank you Jonathan Blow. Truly, from the bottom of my heart: THANK YOU.

bitch no one wants to wait for shit to load.

not according to c++ and rust developers. They think it's your job to program with less compilations, if you cant manage that then you're stupid

You know that the google algorithm have certainly been compiled for hours by clusters of server and that's one of the reason it is so fast?
It's certainly not some js or java shit that is running the whole show

better start dreaming in code then.

ok cool, so the algorithm which has an undefined runtime and has to be processed over billions, possibly trillions of websites is now 50% faster thanks to c++ compilation.
Wow now we really know that it isnt a big deal and Google is fast because of c++.

nah I will use jailang because I'm not a retard

15 seconds isn't a long compile time for many languages. Also learn the difference between compiling and google running the worlds most optimized code.

You are comparing execution time and compiling time.
I was comparing compiling time and compiling time.
Do you see a pattern?

I literally cant talk to anyone online anymore because you people are all too freaking retarded to process anything I say correctly. Here is a big hint for you, you absolute ultra turbo retard: Compilation is the execution of a program too.

>nah I will use jailang because I'm not a retard

sounds like some scratch written by a Malaysian

> Is there a clinical name for this behavior other than just "retarded"?
Gold right here

google search time is only for the first X results displayed on the page and does not include the page generation, also muh billion results will hardly show you few thousands and then will display message that rest is not relevant enough
>compilation time
zero cost abstractions are payed on compile time, Rust has hella lot abstractions
>Jai
can't wait but I'm afraid it will be too much gamedev oriented

> comparing compile time to run-time performance

neo-Sup Forums is fucking retarded.

Jai and Jon Blow are cool though.

If you think database lookup and compilation are comparable in any way, you're the one being retarded here, and haven't done any programming ever. It's not even language-dependant.

I dont think so at all, I think database lookup should take a lot longer and yet Google is so much faster.
Wow, sounds like Rust messed up even worse than I thought.. kinda the opposite of your """"argument"""""

>I think database lookup should take a lot longer
Then you're legit retarded. Lookup is embarassing parallel(before you sperg out, it's the actual term for that). Compilation is mostly linear. Inherently.

*embarrassingly

What's faster, finding a black stone in a pile of stones, or building a tower out of that pile?

>muh billion results will hardly show you few thousands and then will display message that rest is not relevant enough
fkin always hated these jew tricks

ok, i guess jailang broke the laws of the universe then because it compiles in parallel.
gg retard, I win

stealing this one

>doesn't understand the difference between parallel and embarrassingly parallel
Yep, retard. Even if a task is only 5% linear(and parsing the language alone, even if done as parallelized as possible, is like 90% linear) you won't see any increase in speed past 16 cores. With Google's resources looking at a billion of stones is literally faster than putting one stone on top of another. It's that bad.

you're just full retard, faggot. As if you know which parts and how many parts of google's algorithm are parallelized. You act like it's 100% parallel. Moron.
dumb shit.
retard.

>t.pajeet

>15 seconds isn't a long compile time for many languages.
*Laughs in C*

Lol m8, bazel takes over a minute to just initialize..at Google. Building Java.

You're comparing a completely parallizable and heavily cached process run on servers that are scaled heavily both vertically and horizontally... to compilation?

Jai is blazing fast and is doing a lot of things right, but it's still not production ready. He hasn't even done an optimization pass for the output.

Don't make Jai a meme language because you don't understand computer science, programming languages, or practically anything. It's positive forward progress for languages, and you're going to make Sup Forums hate it because of your uninformed shilling.

So many dumb retard teenage codemonkeys here on Sup Forums, holy crap.
You know that compilation servers exist too? Apparently not.
Ever heard of ccache?
Apparently not.

I D I O T

90% of the responses here have been about how compilation isnt the same as executing a program. Lol. A compiler is a program. Read that 10 times until it sinks in.

90% of responses here is trying to explain to you that these workloads are fundamentally not comparable. 10% is you reeeing about the latest meme language.

and I'm trying to tell you, with facts, that they are absolutely comparable. I successfully rebuke objectively false statements like distributed compilation supposedly not existing. Yet you respond with 'no'. Sorry, but I win.

>HURR, A PROGRAM IS A PROGRAM
Is that your argument?

You forgot:
>change a single line
>compile
>15 sec later: success

Only Mozilla non-binary non-straight non-white non-males will defend this

>make -j64
>oh look my 50 file many thousand line software has compiled in 5 seconds

i don't see the problem. why would you ever need to compile quicker than that? any reasonable testing to look at the change will take much longer than the compilation anyway

> 5s
>i don't see the problem. why would you ever need to compile quicker than that?

> 5kb RAM
> why would anyone ever need more than that?

> any advance in human tech
> why?

just wait for the ox to finish plowing the field, I mean enjoy the fresh air who cares right?

Not even sepples are this bad. Are you completely clearing your project before every compilation or something? Only the first compilation is long.

Umm no senpai, I had to split a 2k LOC project because it took ages for the benchmarks to run.

>just wait for the ox to finish plowing the field, I mean enjoy the fresh air who cares right?
Absolutely right. Technology was a mistake.

Fact: You're an idiot

The difference is that the radio of testing to compilation won't change. The comparison does not make any sense. You will never be in a situation where after a change, the compilation time will be a significant part of the time spent testing the change. But please conveniently argue that part of my comment.

>i need to recompile after every line because I'm an undergrad that can't fucking code properly

This is what interpreted languages are for.

If you need to run your program after every single line change, and recompile everything everytime because you're too dumb to use make, just use an interpreted language.

>You will never be in a situation where after a change, the compilation time will be a significant part of the time spent testing the change

you never even wrote a single line of code in your life, correct?

Huh. I've interacted with Alex Crichton. Is he pushing diversity or smth?

rust has cargo, a build system which basically does what make does.

heh? C doesn't have parse-time checks without full build?

This is why "coding boot camps" are doing more harm than good to the industry.
Everyone should be required to take a data structures class that emphasizes program performance analysis.

Where can I learn that without using my poverty bux

>complains about 15 seconds of paid rest

Truly the wagecuckest of all wage cucks