How the fuck do I install this piece of shit on Linux?

>not in repos (I'm on debian ffs)
>no installer
>two binaries and a weird "run-mozilla.sh" script
>no readme of any kind

I mean I can extract the archive into my asshole and symlink the "waterfox" binary into some random location in my PATH but surely there's a better, more standardised way? How should I go about this? And why did the dev make it so shitty?

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.debian.org/HowToPackageForDebian
hackgnar.com/2016/01/simple-deb-package-creation.html
waterfoxproject.org/
dl.bintray.com/hawkeye116477/waterfox-deb
bintray.com/user/downloadSubjectPublicKey?username=hawkeye116477
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Make your own package dumbo.

>Waterfox
Lol

But why should I do this? How come nobody has done this before, considering this is a pretty popular fork? I'd understand if I was using void or something, but this is just ridiculous

>this is a pretty popular fork
Ha

Name me a more popular one

Stop whining and do it faggot.

Icecat

Then tell me how ffs, dpkg is gay as fuck. At this rate I should really go back to void, at least xbps is easy to use

Just double click the .exe :^)

>debian
lol

Hell if I know, I don't use d*bian.

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

Yeah my research just showed it's really, really gay

Just gonna go with the original plan of extracting into bumfuck nowhere and symlinking into PATH, thank fuck this is a temorary setup I just need to get working for now

wiki.debian.org/HowToPackageForDebian
Now GTFO and get spoon fed somewhere else.

hackgnar.com/2016/01/simple-deb-package-creation.html

>muh debian
>muh 1 billion outdated packages
doesn't have have a popular firefox fork

this is actually true, you just run the "firefox" file

>go to waterfoxproject.org/
>can't even do something as simple as user agent parsing right so it shows me the download for macOS even though I'm on GNU/Linux

There's no "firefox", there's "waterfox" and "watefox-bin". They appear to be the same but there's no way to know.

Is the first by any chance a wrapper for the binary?

>using ff from apt
wtf are you doing

Nope, it's a binary itself, the header (or at least the first 40 bytes or so) is identical to waterfox-bin. It's what I symlinked into /usr/local/bin.

No there isn't a "standard way". I did what you said to " install" it.

are you dumb?
dpkg -i waterfox*.deb
apt install -f

wow that was really hard !

Download tar
Extract tar and cd into dir
./waterfox

there is no .deb package avail you have to make on yourself or add yet another PPA to the system. you could use arch/gentoo and this would not be a problem

oh. why would the dev do this?
also whats the PPA?

yeah, it does suck. which is why i dont like debian/*buntu on desktop.
echo 'deb dl.bintray.com/hawkeye116477/waterfox-deb release main' | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/waterfox.list

And the public GPG key:
curl bintray.com/user/downloadSubjectPublicKey?username=hawkeye116477 | sudo apt-key add -