So I just recently replaced my high end Parasound power amp that my father gave me with a cheaper Emotiva A-300 due to...

So I just recently replaced my high end Parasound power amp that my father gave me with a cheaper Emotiva A-300 due to it continually falling into protection mode. On paper this may seem to be a massive downgrade but I honestly can't hear a difference what so ever. Why do audiophiles think there is such a difference in sound between amps? Surely room acoustics and speaker placement makes more of a difference than amplification.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Xpa_4Lao2z0
bostonaudiosociety.org/bas_speaker/wishful_thinking.htm
tom-morrow-land.com/tests/ampchall/index.htm
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

You probably can't hear the difference because you have cheap, shitty speakers and the room you have them in is awful for music

It's called diminishing returns. Sure, if you spend tens of thousands of dollars on your source and your speakers and on preparing your room with sound dampening materials and acoustic modification, and you played the same material dozens of times first on one, then on the other, you might be able to hear the difference. Realistically in the average $10-15k home theater system you aren't going to notice a difference.

post your speakers, OP
these are mine
and ill tell you why you can't hear a difference
and mostly likely, it's this haha no pajeet it has nothing to do with the money

I have kef ls50

The room I have them in is fairly decent as a listening room. Carpeted and symmetrical speakers are positioned about 1m from the wall and are angled towards me. There is one window but the curtain is normally down to minimise reflections.

>most likely you have cheap, shitty speakers
>but naw it ain't about the money
Fuckin' dumbass fuckin' niggers, I tell ya hwat

Snake oil plebs pls go

Parasound is a brand that makes a big deal out of turn tables and phono, they're the pinnacle of snake oil tech

except we're talking about amplifiers
lurn too reed

Everything in a music system matters. Yes even the cables. t. people who have never heard a good sound system

More evicndece you anons don't know a thing about good sound. Parasound is actually pretty garbage. Bloated bass, warm, weak mids and narrow soundstage. Get a big boy amp, not compromised made in Taiwan stuff.

you bought a 30wpc amp to drive mid-tier speakers
why don't you settle down, junior

have you tried replacing the screws in your speakers with brass ones? the sound is probably being distorted by the steel screws making it hard to hear the difference.
youtube.com/watch?v=Xpa_4Lao2z0

I bought a 30w class a amp to drive 96db sensitive speakers. And yes, the speakers I bought are up to snuff and quite an appropriate match. Yes, they did cost 4 times more Than the amp (new). Ill share pics if them in the speaker thread next week, if it's still up.

Ps. I said this in the other thread but the xa30.5 is 30w in class a, it goes into class ab after, and can push 200w around 3ohms. It's a very capable amp that's able to drive my 85db sensitive kefs at 90db spl. All of this is a moot point since with a 96db sensitive speaker, I will never be pushing the amp past 16w.

I fail to see how your comment is either relevant or appropriate.

t. snake oil gulping retard

Just use what sounds good to you,

Why are There two amp threads, was the user in the last thread so triggered that he needed to make a new one?

if an amp is designed correctly, the only difference between two should be how loud you can crank it and what happens to the distortion. Most audiophiles don't understand how amplifiers are built, or how amplifier technology has changed and progressed and to shield that they parrot marketing junk or other people who know just as little

I made my own little amplifier a couple years back and it sounded just as nice, if not better because it was simple and well put together, than anything i compared it to

fuck off, shoo shoo back to your 999999 thinkpad, intel, logitech and nvidia shill threads

There's a huge improvement going from $20 headphones to $200 headphones but only a negligible improvement going from $200 headphones to $1000 headphones.

Pretty much all top end audiophile gear is snake oil. Just buy something above average and enjoy your music.

I'm the same user who has been shilling my pass labs actually

>I'm [...] shilling [...]
shill

dumb Torontofag

I'm ok with being labelled a torontofag. I'm Canadian so by default I'm a "dumb Canadian" what's that got to go with audio anyway? I brought it up because it just makes it easy to buy and sell used gear at good prices. Buying this stuff new is exhorbantly expensive.

You're running around on Sup Forums showing off an overpriced amp and bragging about your expensive snake oil. I know everything in Toronto is hilariously overpriced but $3k for a stereo amp is fucking stupid.

I didn't make either of these threads btw and I certainly didn't expect many if any of all of you to approve. Tell me, have you ever actually heard what a pass lab sounds like in a appropriately matched system? If not, good, please hush.

I have heard plenty of high end systems. There isn't anything special about Pass Labs except a name and marketing, they're just like all the other "halo" brands like Parasound and McIntosh that get sales by putting outrageous prices on their products so retards who believe "you get what you pay for" apply universally will buy them.

Um sorry sweetie but comparing mac and parasound and pass all at once... two of those aren't in the same league. If it sounded bad then the system was bad or the room was bad. You also failed to mention which mac and which parasound (lol parasound) gear you heard.
Ps. I actually think pass is over priced (new) but I got mine used at a significant discount and will have zero problem flipping it for a few hundred more then what I paid for. That's the nice thing about buying used audio gear at good prices, especially if they are in high demand like mac or pass.

I didn't say they sounded bad. I said they didn't sound noticeably better than much cheaper gear.

Why are you buying audio gear with the intention of flipping it? Do you regularly swap your equipment or something?

3000 dollar snake oil amp. Shitty 16 guage wiring feeding speakers. Btw your amp won't be in class a mode for long with ls50s.

I'd write a massive post explaining why today's amplifiers are just TOO good but it's fucking 6 am and i can't be bothered.
Amplifiers have globally reached a stage at which it makes no sense to make them even better and you CANNOT hear the difference in an actually correctly made experiment.
The reason they sometimes sound different is because of the impedance loading of the speakers which can sometimes be horrendous.
"High end" speaker manufacturers don't give a single fuck about engineering well made products.
The fact that they all react almost randomly to matching just serves to maintaining dumb ideas like "oh, our speakers are so good you can hear the different sounds from different amplifiers" when in reality some amplifiers are just chocking or going haywire with very reactive loads.

Every person telling you "you can't hear the difference because you don't have the right speakers" in the thread is spewing shit or doesn't know the fuck he's talking about.

Maybe you aren't able to hear the differences. I was involved in music my whole life. I playe two two woodwinds and 3 brass instruments at grade vii level. I know exactly what a double bass sounds like because I sat behind one for 12 years. I'm 100 times more qualified then you'll ever be to guage and judge how good an audio system sounds. Sorry sweetie but you just don't have good hearing if you can't tell the difference between a parasound and a mac amp. Also I don't flip gear, I was making a point that I could always sell it for more than what I bought it for which makes your whole argument here quite pointless. You're only convincing yourself what you want to hear. Perhaps you're scared that yes, better made gear sounds better. Also taking gear home and listening to it in the privacy and comfort of your room is a completely different (and correct) way to evaluate something new in the system. Not to mention that with the Each new auditOn at new places, there's going to be different speakers, sources, preamp...
ps. Price and cost is not relative to performance. I am a firm believer in this

I've played nearly a dozen instruments in actual productions starting in grade six, both woodwinds and percussion, and I also have a good understanding of the electrical side of audio equipment. You're a blowhard who thinks he's qualified but doesn't actually know anything and it shows. You buy ridiculously overpriced audio equipment for bragging rights and then delude yourself into thinking it sounds better so you can justify your purchase.

Hmm... you criticize my choice of speaker wire while at the same time calling other things i have snake oil. Are you zeospantera? >>Btw your amp won't be in class a mode for long with ls50s.
Thanks for reminding me but I find it hard to believe that you haven't read my previous posts where I state I'm getting different speakers that I was supposed to get last week. Just gonna assume you're now shitposting and baiting me. Don't worry hun, I won't ignore you. But please put some effort into your responses next time ok sweetie?

Calling bullshit on all your posts. Prove it or go home. I can post my acceptance letter letter to join the don wright faculty of music. Any time nerd I'm waiting.

>sweetie
>trying to demean people to quell your anxiety and buyer's remorse

>buys several-thousand-dollar amp
>saves $1 buy buying 16AWG wire instead of 12AWG

This was the stupidity I was trying to point out in my reply. But it went over his head.

You're a delusional faggot
I play with measuring gear everyday capable of counting almost down to individual electrons flowing through a cable.
There's been a gazillion studies on the subject and every time you fags have been blown the fuck out.
The ONLY thing we still have to master at building in terms of sound quality are building perfect speakers ( which we are a far cry from ) and perfecting room acoustic treatment.
Everything else from source to amplifier is just DONE
The only ones that don't sound good today are the ones that measure objectively bad because some chick designed them wrong and the ones that do better are LITERALLY INDISTINGUISHABLE from one another to the human ear.
If you're so confident about your sound gauging skills, why don't you go take Randi's challenge ?
I'm sure it's still around.
You already make too much money sucking flute to care about a million dollars, amirite ?

Ignoring you til you provide some evidence to back up your claims

Ooh, you got into a private school! Good for you!

I could go get some of my instruments but I'm lazy. Closest one is my alto sax and it's in the attic.

>look it up
>it's not even a private school

lol, that guy's not even me
Keep your shit straight faggot

O-okay

Actually I went to public school and high school... the don wright faculty of music is one of the most prestigious music schools in Canada if not North America. The fact I got accepted was impressive considering my social credentials and fairly average extra curricular activities. If you weren't Replying to me then my bad but don't see who else You'd be talking to

bostonaudiosociety.org/bas_speaker/wishful_thinking.htm

tom-morrow-land.com/tests/ampchall/index.htm

>DO YOU KNOW WHO I AM

why did you criticize his choice of speaker wire, user?
you know how PTSD he gets about that
why don't you follow his detailed history about his speaker gets?
what is wrong with you user?

>I fail

Yes, you did.

nah

whats a good cheap amp and speaker brand then?

If you are in the states it's hard to go wrong with emotiva even in Australia where it isn't as good value it still kills everything available at its price point. A300 and pt100 cost the same as a basic Marantz integrated with 70watts per channel

>thread title: amps
>OP comment: amps
>your spergy comment: hurr phono! snake oil! i've no idea what i'm blithering but i'm jealous!
>user comment: this thread is about amps
>your spergy comment: hurr no it's not

keep up the good work

>OP is about Parasound amp
>give examples to show that Parasound is a shitty brand
>one of those examples is specific to a product that is not a power amplifier
>hurr off topic

You're a fucking retard and you know it.

You don't have to go overboard with amps, but if you have the money to go overboard, I'd prefer you go overboard with companies not owned by Harman group.
Also, if you have the money to go overboard, you may as well get really good speakers, too, since speakers are the most important component.
And finally, extremely high quality speakers can be purchased these days for about the same cost and mid-tier garbage you find in box stores. So it has more to do with being an intelligent scrounger than having money to buy everything in sight, although, there's nothing wrong with the latter, either.

>Do solid state amplifiers sound different?
How's the autism treatment going?
Better yet, post your set up, so we can all laugh.

goddam thats sexy

>extremely high quality speakers can be purchased these days for about the same cost and mid-tier garbage you find in box stores.
Name some examples you cunt

Can't right nao; still cornholin' ur mum.

It's either buy a pair of those, or a new sports car, neither of which I intend or can afford to do.

I don't have a dedicated stereo system because I'm not an autist. My only stereo system is Beyerdynamics DT 770 PRO and O2+ODAC.

And if you really think my earlier post was off topic it is you that has autism.

>Why do audiophiles think there is such a difference in sound between amps?

Because they are retards.

I just went through this entire thread and I drew the same conclusion

>owned by Harman group
Why exactly? Because pricing or incidents the public rarely knows about?
Enlighten us please.

actually, you don't have one because you ARE an autist
>i need my isolation in my own little headphone world

kinda sexy

he doesnt know what hes talking about... just because something is owned by a big conglomerate doesnt mean its instantly bad... look at the jbl synthesis line and the amazing products they keep putting out

>jbl synthesis
take it from this user
he owns one himself
right user

im not that user but i've heard them in person and would have got them but decided to go for cheaper speakers so i could buy a nice amp. jbl 4367 is a really nice speaker but just a bit over my budget, I'll probably see if I can pickup a used pair for 40% off the msrp in a few years.

Those cost as much as a decent car in Australia. RIP

>Why do audiophiles think there is such a difference in sound between amps? Surely room acoustics and speaker placement makes more of a difference than amplification.
Depends on the speakers also, you dildohead.

Can't say anything about But I do, and I like them :)

There's a huge difference in amplifiers. Compare a SET tube-amp against a good transistor-based one with demanding speakers. But when comparing amps that are about the same there's no bigger difference. As you stated, room acoustics and speakers will play a bigger role. Heck, speakers even impact the amps performance with their impedance and sensitivity.

Are Passlabs any good? They look cool, but don't measure very well.