/pcbg/ - PC Building General

>Assemble a part list
pcpartpicker.com/
>Example gaming builds and _monitor_ suggestions; click on the blue title to see notes
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/
>Learn how to build a PC (You can find a lot more detailed videos on channels like Bitwit)
youtube.com/watch?v=69WFt6_dF8g
>How to install Win7 on Ryzen
pastebin.com/TUZvnmy1

If you want help:
>State the budget & CURRENCY for your build
>List your uses, e.g. Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, include purpose (e.g., photoediting, gaming) and graphics card pairing (if applicable)

CPUs:
>NO i5 7500/7600K or i7 7700/K. THEY ARE DEFUNCT AND SUPERSEDED BY COFFEE LAKE
>G4560/G4600 - non-gaming (light tasks) or bare minimum gaming builds with a dedicated graphics card
>R3 1200 - Budget builds (best with OC + fast RAM)
>R5 1600 / i5 8400 - Great gaming (especially the i5 8400) or multithreaded use CPUs (especially the R5 1600)
>R7 / Used Xeon / Threadripper / i7 - Heavy Multi-Tasking / VM Work / Mixed use

RAM:
>Current CPUs benefit from high speed RAM; 3000-3200 MHz is ideal
>Before buying RAM for Ryzen, check your Mobo's QVL or look for user reports

Graphics cards:
>Consider Vega 56 for a Freesync monitor
>Crypto-Currency miners have driven GPU prices up (particularly Radeon)
1080p
>MSRP of standard 1080p cards: 1050Ti, 140USD; 1060 3GB, $200; 1060 6GB, $230; RX 570 4GB, $170; RX 580 4GB, $200
>GTX 1070 if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
1440p
>GTX 1070/Ti and 1080 are standard choices; currently overpriced
>GTX 1080Ti if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
2160p (4K)
>GTX 1080Ti

General:
>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING
>A 240GB or larger SSD is almost mandatory; consider m.2 form factor

Previous:

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/product/QNX2FT/asrock-z370-extreme4-atx-lga1151-motherboard-z370-extreme4
amazon.com/Gigabyte-Geforce-GDDR5-Graphic-GV-N1050OC-2GD/dp/B01MG0733A/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1515795585&sr=1-1&refinements=p_n_condition-type:2224373011
pcpartpicker.com/list/vJJ8RG
pcpartpicker.com/list/324wwV
pcpartpicker.com/list/JXWjYr
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811165416&ignorebbr=1&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-PC&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-PC-_-pla-_-Server - Chassis-_-N82E16811165416&gclid=CjwKCAiA1uHSBRBUEiwAkBCtzewx0xRAh5Fx1HQm8VxnR0gK4bkb-loY7SXUH11IoEjgFtciDO6T2xoCzlwQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
youtube.com/watch?v=Svwus0dEWyE
pcpartpicker.com/list/
amazon.com/Geforce-1050Ti-Graphics-STRIX-GTX1050TI-O4G-GAMING-Graphic/dp/B01MG9AKKZ/ref=sr_1_2?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1515814775&sr=1-2&keywords=1050ti
amazon.com/Strix-Radeon-Gaming-Graphics-ROG-STRIX-RX560-O4G-EVO-GAMING/dp/B07661CXT2/ref=sr_1_8?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1515814775&sr=1-8&keywords=1050ti
ekwb.com/news/ek-announces-ek-fluid-gaming-a240r-kit/
reddit.com/r/arma/comments/74gi9f/arma_3_coffeelake_performance_fixed_iotechfi/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>before autosage
No.

Is Asrock being bad a meme? I'm eyeing this motherboard

pcpartpicker.com/product/QNX2FT/asrock-z370-extreme4-atx-lga1151-motherboard-z370-extreme4

Remember to grease those sockets up for smooth insertion, /pcbg/!

Any recommended YT channels for actual motherboard reviews?

reminder to avoid intlel until 2019

I never forget my tube of dielectric grease, user!

Good way to mitigate spectre.

Yo I got a problem.

I think my gpu might be dead but I'm not sure.

I got a refurbished, never used 970 the other day.
left it testing with furmark for like 10 minutes and had no problems, but today I tried firing up pubg and my video crashed like 2 minutes into the game.
it went:
>loud audio glitch (the one where the last sound that was being output is repeated a bunch of times in a second)
>blank screen, either black or the dominant color of my last screen.

then it either keeps the audio going, or just no audio as well.

the thing that is giving me pause is, I had a similar problem with another refurbished 970, but that one crashed instantly when I fired up Furmark, while this one goes on smooth sailing for as long as I leave it.

Could it be something else?
my power supply isnt the best, but it's not complete trash (vs550).
maybe my outlet is not feeding good current?

should I try some other benchmark like unigine valley?

My "new thread" post was the 310th post

Asrock is fine

Reminder to stop with the boring jokes

Are your drivers updated? Also uninstall any old drivers completely using DDU in safe mode

Asscock is better than any board manufacturer except Asus. Actually, all others are complete trash. Buy mobos from these two companies and you're good.

A lot of just regular python usage while multitasking + a dash of gaming, anything heavy goes on aws. Any thoughts?
Specs:
ASRock Mini-ITX Motherboard - AB350 GAMING-ITX/AC
Noctua NH-L9I
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X
ZOTAC GeForce GTX 1070 Ti AMP
Samsung 850 EVO 500GB 2.5-Inch SATA
Corsair CX Series, CX600
Fractal Design Node 304
G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2400

Monitor:
32in 4K 3840x2160 HDR IPS AMD FreeSync

Thanks for puttin coffeelake back on the list

Would this be a bad buy to put in my old pc amazon.com/Gigabyte-Geforce-GDDR5-Graphic-GV-N1050OC-2GD/dp/B01MG0733A/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1515795585&sr=1-1&refinements=p_n_condition-type:2224373011

All good except memory, you should buy a fast ram like 3200c14 G.SKILL Trident Z, Ryzen cpus benefit from it a lot.. If your budget doesn't allow it - ditch the 1800x for 1700/x, but get that fast ram.

Is now a bad time for part prices?

Get faster RAM
1070Ti is a little weak for the monitor's native res

Probably fine, but how old is your PC, and do you have a PSU with PCIe power connectors?

How's the dark rock pro 3 for cooling a 8700k with some overclocking? It matches my color scheme the most.

SHOULD I WAIT FOR PRICES TO GO DOWN
HOW LONG WILL IT TAKE FOR PRICES TO GO DOWN.

I DDU'd
removed any possible remaining amd drivers (i uninstalled them before but just to be sure), removed the nvidia ones I had on and reinstalled them.
now let's see
btw tried unigine valley and it went fine at max settings

Its a 5 or so year old intel, yeah it has PCIe power connector.

Rate my build, buttplu/g/s

>i7 6700
>GTX 1070ti (+ a 1050ti that I will install when I can afford a new mobo)
>24GB RAM
>120GB SSD and 2 TB HDD

Yes. Prices are retardedly high right now.

>nVidia can gain a chunk of AMD marketshare
nvidia's biggest problem are the owners of their older cards. nvidia literally competes with itself more than with amd.
ampere will be announced during GDC in march. expect, so you can expect first cards to come in april/early may and 1160 even later

Tidy them cables senpai

>Intel
into the trash it goes.

very nice looking PC.

Ok, tried playing the game again.
Same crash.
Slight audio glitch...blank screen, error message sound....cant get out of it.

Since there is no way for me to get out of this black screen and see thw actual error message, which could help me....
Is there a way for me, after rebooting to check some log for errors and identify it that way?

Thank you

a cute
A CUTE!!!!!!!!

Roger roger, thanks for input

What is the best inexpensive 1440p 144hz freesync monitor?

>tfw fell for building pc meme
you guys told me building pc was like lego. FUCK YOU IT WAS HARD AND CONFUSING AS FUCK. I spent a whole week trying to build this shit. I broke my ram when i tried to install it and when i installed the newly bought ram it didn't feel tight. best buy dude told me the motherboard was also broken because i didn't install my previous ram right. So i had to buy a new motherboard and redid all the building process. i spent more than 1000$ for this piece of junk. i should have just bought ps4. it's much cheaper and easy to use just plug and play.
FUCK

kys

I'm putting together a new build this weekend.
Am I finally being forced to use Windows 10, or is it still viable to go without?

Hi Sup Forums my current cpu 8600k is paired with some ddr4 2400 (2 x 8gb) im not sure about the actual ram speed because i haven't tested it but assuming it runs at about above 2200mhz.would i still be getting proper cpu performance or should i be looking at some slightly faster speed ram for optimal performance thanks boys.

>I broke my ram

noob

99% sure this is pasta

You can still install Win7 but it's a pain

RAM is fine but you can also try manually overclocking

Eh, if you can't afford $600 for a nice monitor then you can afford 1440p

Go with W10 while it hasnt turned in to a complete advertisement system

Need help Sup Forums, gotta decide quick.

GTX 970 G1 Gaming for 175$ or GTX 1060 6GB Aorus Xtreme for 250$ ?

1080p gaming on a 144hz monitor btw

pcpartpicker.com/list/vJJ8RG
Can a kind user add me any ram for the ryzen 5 1600? I will not be overclocking and I only want 1 8gb ram since they're overpriced. Plz and Ty.

>>G4560/G4600

4k, 2560x1440, or 3440x1440 for best productivity?

Can a GT 1030 or RX 550 run the above screen sizes?

i would go with the 1060 man unless you are waiting for new cards the vram is nice

Pretty much any 3000MHz or 3200MHz
3200 CL14 is best; the G Skill is often recommended

>Can a GT 1030 or RX 550 run the above screen sizes
Yes, as can any recent iGPU

Bit of a toss up considering the 1060 has a warranty

Thanks user, my current motherboard doesn't have HDMI 2.0 or DP so I think I need either another one or a discrete graphics card to run a resolution above 1080p at 60Hz. I figure I may as well get the latter and enjoy better performance for the few games I play.

should i get a 1080ti or wait for nvidias new gpus this year?

For 1080p medium settings.
pcpartpicker.com/list/324wwV
Did I do good?

pcpartpicker.com/list/JXWjYr

2-3 more weeks...

What case is this? define mini C?

If you can get one at MRSP or close to ($20 more or something) in a week or so, I'd do it. Volta's probably not coming out till late Q3 and could cost more.

Seems good.
>That fan splitter
Is it because of the mobo ?

This makes me wish I had money.
Enjoy your build, user.
[spoiler]god tier tastes on the pc case[/spoiler]

Ryzen is super easy to install 7, Intel newest I'm not sure, see OP

Yeah, it's because the mobo has 2 headers
and I got 3 fans.

Im wondering if the performance jump of the new gen will be the same as pascal (1080 being 10-20% faster than 980ti etc)

I have a AMD Rx 580 and used a shitty and fx something 8 core processor. I want to upgrade the CPU.
I use my PC for gaming (Arma3, PUBG are the most CPU intensive games I play I think), occasional rendering (blender) and like to run at least game+music+discord+some other smaller services.

What CPU should I get? What's overkill with the gpu? I don't really have a budget, I'm flexible but as long as the mentioned games and programs work fine and it can handle some stuff that'll be released, I'm happy.

Intel for games? Or Ryzen for power/price? Which ones would you recommend?
(I'll need a new MoBo, I know that, but I'll need one for both Ryzen and Intel so I'm flexible)

Quick I need to pull the trigger now:

Should I sacrifice RBG led header, more power phasers and 30$ for an Asus motherboard instead of a MSI one? The MSI is perfect for my need but its an msi and I head lots of bad things about it. I don't need rgb right now but may regret it in the future.

>ARMA, PUBG
i5 8400

Looks good

Don't buy that monitor. Really awesome 4K monitors are right around the corner

I have a choice between a Ryzen 5 1400 with a RX 580 4Gb and an Intel Core i5 7400 with a nVidia 1060 3Gb. Which one is less troublesome. It's probably useful to say that I'm talking about a pre-built. Both are the same price.

For gaming go with the 1060. Both cpu isn't what you should write home about but should do the job. Also always look at psu when getting a prebuilt. They are often the most trash.

8700k and 1800x are the same price should my build be amd or meltdown?

Can someone help me identify the hardware here? It's only $40 at a local thrift store, going to buy it Monday I think just for the case which is this one, first result in google.

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811165416&ignorebbr=1&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-PC&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-PC-_-pla-_-Server - Chassis-_-N82E16811165416&gclid=CjwKCAiA1uHSBRBUEiwAkBCtzewx0xRAh5Fx1HQm8VxnR0gK4bkb-loY7SXUH11IoEjgFtciDO6T2xoCzlwQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Definitely the R5 + 580 build

Probably 8700K (or neither) but depends on your use

Did you just recommend a 3GB 1060 over any RX 580?

AM4 is the better platform, and the RX 580 > 1060 mostly for free-sync savings

Plus you can almost sell 580s for $400 again

Is ultrawide a meme?

I love the immersion it could hypothetically bring with it, but I need at least two screens for multitasking and anything other than a second ultrawide looks retarded.

Just bideo geames

the R7 1700 with an OC is the chip you actually want.

Best value CPU still IMO, aren't 8700Ks $400?

Unless you need the best 144hz gaming the R5 1600 is more than enough for games

youtube.com/watch?v=Svwus0dEWyE

I’m retarded and don’t know how to oc and on Amazon they’re the same price

I am going for 1440p 144hz

You open your Bios or Ryzen master, set 1.3V and probably 3800mhz, then go up or down on frequency, not going over 1.35V for daily use.

Plus we know Ryzen+ is coming soon with what should be 4.5ghz average OCs. I wouldn't spend too much on a current Ryzen chip, maybe even just get the R5 1400 for now

Well do you actually care about having the best possibly 144hz gaming experience or do you want say 100fps average in AAA games while saving money with Ryzen?

It’ll be at least a couple months (read: tax season) before I buy the cpu mobo and ram I have everything else. But will Ryzen+ work well with x370? Or will I have to wait for new boards too? Also as long as I’m getting 100 frames or more I’d be happy.

/pcbg/ I need your help, I need to know what the cheapest 1050ti is that you can find from a decent brand.

X470 is stated to be more optimized for Ryzen+, but Ryzen+ will work in existing boards with a BIOS update

if you're buying then there's not much point in planning now, the gap between intel/AMD will close with Ryzen+

Brand doesn't matter with cheap GPUs, 1050tis should cost no more than $160, get dual fans if possible

Or better yet what's your current system?

A specific reason for the i5?
Thanks for replying, I thought about i5s.

What about Intel's likely performance losses after fixing their security issues?

pcpartpicker.com/list/

I have all of the components except for a GPU, still trying to decide betwen 1050ti and 1060.

So pretty much just wait and see what amd drops in March? Because unless the ryzen+ prices are what the 1800x is I’m just gonna go with that.

What's a good case if I'm just looking for HDD bays and air flow?

Mid tower is preferred, but they don't make the case I was eyeing anymore (500R)

Meshify C

What's the difference between this
amazon.com/Geforce-1050Ti-Graphics-STRIX-GTX1050TI-O4G-GAMING-Graphic/dp/B01MG9AKKZ/ref=sr_1_2?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1515814775&sr=1-2&keywords=1050ti
and this
amazon.com/Strix-Radeon-Gaming-Graphics-ROG-STRIX-RX560-O4G-EVO-GAMING/dp/B07661CXT2/ref=sr_1_8?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1515814775&sr=1-8&keywords=1050ti

Yes I am an idiot

Isn't that RX 560 just a rebranded 460?

From some reviews I read/videos I have seen it's supposed to be faster

Just be careful user

I want to keep my vega cool but it sounds like a fucking jet engine under 100% load. the fan maxes out at 4900rpm
is it safe to run it that fast? will it wear out the fan really fast?

? I would only buy one new, I'm avoiding miners

wrong link

1060s and 580s are over $300 right now, waste of money

are you only gaming at 1080p 60hz? What kind of games?

Probably $399 or something for the 2800X but ya the prices should be relatively the same

WHY THE FUCK IS A 1050TI $250

The RX 560(1024) is one tier below next to the 1050

EKWB has a Fluid Gaming Vega lower cost water cooling kit coming, buy that
ekwb.com/news/ek-announces-ek-fluid-gaming-a240r-kit/

your fan can run at 100% all day everyday

In that case i5 8400 or R5 1600 + OC

ARMA and PUBG don't like Ryzen, and it's not worth getting anything more than an i5 8400 for gaming

Check the number of SPs. Some 560s aren't the full 560

It has good airflow, but I need more bays. I'm planning to set up a raid 1 array and need at least 6 bays, but preferably more.

looks like a tyan S5353 judging by the fact that the word Tyan S5353 is literally painted on the board

>$1,200 budget
>MUST have an i7
>MUST have a graphics card for video editing and 4X games
I'm indecisive help me pick a Desktop/Laptop Config

didn't notice it, it might have really old C2D quad cores

It is a pretty pricey server case for only $40 though, I really don't need it, but it might be neat to put my future TR system in there, it's also missing everything else in the case

Don't believe this guy For arma you definitely want an i7

Very New here guys, and relatively new to building cpus. Building in the USA for gaming, wanting to make it last a bit.

NZXT elite sr
Ryzen 1700x
Taichi X370

G.SKILL TridentZ Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600)

CAS Latency
Timing
16-18-18-38

(I know I fucked up with the ram....)

Masterliquid lite 240

MSI 1070 GTX ( sniped used off eBay for $403 GPUs are fucking rare, really wanted a Vega 64.)

Entermax revolution Xt 750 Watts power supply 80 plus gold

Samsung 850 Evo 1 TB 2.5inches

Samsung 960 Pro 512 GB NVME
Windows 10 home

So how does it look? I’m coming from Wii pleb class.

Forgot to add the 1070 gtx is an Aero G if that makes any difference.

>MUST have a graphics card for video editing
You don't know what you're doing

Even in ARMA there's not much benefit to getting more than an i5 8400
reddit.com/r/arma/comments/74gi9f/arma_3_coffeelake_performance_fixed_iotechfi/

Well /pcbg/ I've fucked up. I got drawn in by the corsair carbide 240. Didn't even bother researching the case which I now regret. My 1080ti is far too large and I've had to remove the side window so I don't crush it.

Can't decide whether I just want to modify the current side panel with a new panel on the outside or just buy a new case.

isnt that case supposed to be massive? how doesnt it fit?