Anyone have experience with Slackware? Thoughts, recommendations, tips...

Anyone have experience with Slackware? Thoughts, recommendations, tips? Been using it for about a week now on my netbook with LXDE and it's pretty comfy.

Other urls found in this thread:

docs.slackware.com/slackware:beginners_guide
slackbuilds.org/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Maybe.

I use Slackware, with sbopkg its pretty good. Overall really stable. Don't forget to compile your own kernel, since their default JustWerks.jpg huge.s kernel is not needed, as it is a backup that, well, has everything and just works. You generally don't need to do that, but if you are really into customization, might as well. Overall, it made me stop hopping so i give it a

Meme

it works but so does any other distro. i used it on my old home server for a while.

>no dependency resolution
trash

Back then in 2000-2001, after just a little of dragonlinux, slackware was the first linux I used back then, it taught me lots of POSIX stuff, but I eventually became frustrated by how things are done in it, so it's a great distro to learn the POSIX and UNIX ways. I used it for like 7 years, I have this old IBM 486 in my place that I really love that still has it installed.

But otherwise there are better distros if you just want an operative system for your specific needs (unless your specific need is a very POSIX-UNIX linux distro).

I quite like that aspect of it actually.

It actually does if you want it to, i.e there are tools for everything. Or maybe you have never tried it and only know that it doesnt have dependancy resolution, which does if you want it to have it and you can use slapt-get, sbopkg or any other tool that does the job.

sbopkg does make it easier, yes. depends how purist you want to be. I personally use it since I don't see the point in searching for shit sbopkg can find for me if I already know what it is I need.

Slackware is neat if you have an airgapped system, or are otherwise in a low-connectivity environment, because everything is right there on the DVDs. It's one of the only Linux distros that's actually, meaningfully distributable anymore. Back in 2008 I put Slackware on an old AthXP desktop because nothing else gave me the tools to compile madwifi from source right on the installation media.

On the flip side, you have to manually read security mailing lists and update packages or use because there's no way built in to the OS to update anything whatsoever. Fixing this and shipping Flatpak by default would make it immensely more useful.

>On the flip side, you have to manually read security mailing lists and update packages or use because there's no way built in to the OS to update anything whatsoever.
man slackpkg

having to manually hunt down dependencies for each package seems like a pointless waste of time

They're all on SlackBuilds.org

Slack was good 20 years ago.

>not using gentoo

>mocks one of the last true unix like os with init.
fuck you shill

Slapt-get/Gslapt. You dont know the difference between your arse and a hole in the ground.

IT IS THE SAME AS EVERY OTHER MEME DISTRO BUT WITH DIFFERENT PACKAGING METHOD AND PACKAGE MANAGER

My Linux distro is so minimalist and barebones I actually send electric signals to my processor manually
Who needs all the other shitty bloat when I can do everything myself

enjoy the recommended 9gb+ bloat install

You and i both know that you dont have to do that.
I chose what i wanted to install.

enjoy your dependency hell

How so?

slackware package manager doesn't resolve depedencies

Oh my fucking god you seriously have to stop listening to Sup Forums For FULL dep resolution use slapt-get with gslapt if you want gui. There is also the guix package manager. You dont know shit.

so you have to use an unsupported 3rd party tool just to install packages? lol

If you are a lazy prick then yes.
Slackpkg will tell you what dependencies you need so throw then in a queue. How many packages do you install each day? 600?

and packages that depend on other packages?

What do you think?
I have nothing to argue with you if you enjoy your resolution done for you than great. I dont see how resolving your own deps is such a problem unless you install endless amounts of packages every day. (Which makes you a hypocrite )

well there's another problem. If you want any package other than whats in slackware (a shit load) you have to get it from alienbob. What happens when he doesn't feel like maintaining his stuff anymore?

>(a shit load)
Haha um no....

Look at slackbuilds that what i use.

Turns your computer into that old meme of needing to build everything from scratch in order to get the most basic thing working in Linux.

1) read this -> docs.slackware.com/slackware:beginners_guide
2) Download the slackbuilds - > slackbuilds.org/
3) Search more SLACKWARE!

>slackbuilds
oh ya more dependencies to manually resolve

Read it again its the options for running ffmpeg EXACTLY the way you want it. Its not my fault that this notion of customization is beyond your scope of computing. You can download it pre done if you want but why when you can strip hal of the shit out out that you dont need first. Besides slackware current already has it installed so change to the current tree and a precompiled version will appear in your upgrades with everything done for you.

>You can download it pre done if you want
how?

It takes some time but it gets rid of the bloat see your other post. If its all too much dont use slackware. Why you so mad?

obviously I don't need multiple desktop environments but I do need a shit load of dependencies for programs like pcsx2

LEARN HOW TO USE SLACKWARE YOU FUCKING MORON! ITS ON THE VERY PACKAGE MANAGER YOU BASH.

What the fuck garbage software are you installing then? Im not a huge computer nerd but even my ass knows that If I can't download everything I need for a package to work right off its one webpage/repo it's trash. It's not like there aren't 10 different tools and SlackWare specific repos to deal with dependencies. I like having to manage them a bit more closely, I always have and know exactly what dependcies I need, and I don't have to get any that I don't need that can break my shit. I had enough of dependency hell on the mainstream systemdick distros.

That reminds me i better get the newer version.

why would I use slackware?

I dont know. Why would you?

cool mascot?

I still member when I went through this process a couple years ago, good times. Slackware is comfy.

Oh look the child dumps on slackware because he has to resolve dependencies for a fucking ps2 emulator.

you never played ridge racer v?

i used Slackware for about a month in mid 2017
it's extremely bloated and trying to remove random stuff like SeaMonkey resulted in issues
pretty comfy if you don't really care about bloat though, no systemd either

Yeah recommended install is big but getting rid of seamonkey shouldnt of resulted in anything except that its gone. Strange.