Thoughts?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

thoughts?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Other urls found in this thread:

design.perl6.org/Differences.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

The best. Don't tell reddit.

i prefer php

Perl is p good but I think perl6 is comfy

sucks shit. Python is, and forever will be, the elder God-tier scripting language!

bash is all you really need

/thread

old and busted, try Ruby

thoughts)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

Best RegEx engine, revolutionized the world with hashes
Literally the best scripting language ever created

It's good language

Perl's dead, baby.

Perl's dead.

Perl is a write-only language.

Perl 6 was dead on arrival. The world has moved on.

great for text substitution.

I find myself always getting back to it for heavier data crunching.

Perl is great and something you should try out in your spare time, however it's pretty much a dead language and you'll only find it in legacy systems

Dead write-only language.

Use it everyday for backend dev. I like it a lot.

Ruby > Perl5 > Perl6 >>> (...) >>> Lua >>>>> (...) >>>>> Python2 > Python3

>perl is a write-only language

it's the same as people saying that to use haskell you need a phd in maths

Is like these idiots dont know what they are saying anymore. Is like they are paid to shill python or some shit.

It's comfy

Perl is powerful. Well suited for back end processing. Strong complex but powerful syntax. CPAN is literally world class.

Old enough to have been simplified / built upon well. Still you should learn it, especially if you run Linux or similar.

why? perl6 looks like it tried too hard to be every language at once and failed horribly at it. i'm only going off the sample code i saw though; i only have actual experience with perl5

>python2 is better than 3
i used to agree, but try out py3. it has better unicode support among other nice things

Meh. Still a better C API than CPython.

It's dying though. The number of pumpkin faggots is shrinking and so is the number actually sustaining users. Most CPAN packages were always of questionable state but the situation is deteriorating fast.

Was your exposure to perl6/rakudo their advent calendar?

Obscenely powerful, robust, consistently readable unless you're playing code golf.
Requires you spend about 3 months in a tibetan monastery to gain mastery over sigils and to learn how to think in operator-based logic instead of type-based logic

What means p good?

if I remember correctly it was design.perl6.org/Differences.html

Reminder that Perl developers are among the highest paid and most respected developers in the world and the people complaining in this thread are minimum wage code monkeys.

>Perl developers are among the highest paid and most respected developers in the world

This.

>Reminder that Perl developers are among the highest paid and most respected developers in the world
You almost always see this effect as languages become deprecated. "Study shows Smalltalk developers average salary is $185,000." "Study shows APL developers are 10x more productive." etc etc

It's because almost the only people still using those languages have been in the industry for decades. Has nothing to do with the languages themselves.

What can I do with Perl that I can't do in Bash?

What part of that pod makes you think that Perl6 failed horribly?
Supporting many paradigms is not a new addition to the language, Perl also lets you do things in whichever way you find more intuitive. Perl6 does it in a more consistent manner though.

perl was originally designed to be a succinct scripting language and not a full-blown programming language. its OOP will always be second-class to other languages, and so will its typing and regexes and whatever other features. i only ever got into perl because of its C-like syntax + powerful PCRE engine that python and js ended up copying due to its superiority over POSIX regex. the only features from perl6 i can say i really like (and that have already been introduced in later versions of perl5) are smart matches and the say() function

Proper string interpolation. Anytime you need to nest quotes in bash scripts, the backslashes get out of hand quickly.

>Perl's regexes aren't good
Yeah, you've never actually used perl

Its my favorite language. I just has a bad reputation because Perl web devs have been bad at keeping up with trends until Rails and Django made them get their asses in gear. Unfortunately by that time PHP had already replaced it and new users were using Rails and Django. Very few care about modern Perl web dev, even though its easily as good as any other interpreted language

I don't think that's what he said

>perl regexes will always be second-class to other languages
>I got into perl because of its powerful PCRE engine
haha wat

Best technological investment I've made so far.

>its OOP will always be second-class to other languages
>so will its typing and regexes
>regexes
You're a bigger idiot than he is

learn how to read lol

whoops maybe i mistyped when i said "regexes", sorry about that

i meant the regexes are good compared to other regex engines, sorry i shouldn't post while drinking

Would he have made these mistakes if he lived and breathed perl? I think not. Checkmate atheists

kek yeah im a lowly peasant compared to the perl monks

Good, you've taken your first step into a larger world

There are no bad Perl scripts, only bad Perl programmers. Unfortunately, the vast majority of people I know IRL are pond scum, including me. In five jobs, I have only met two or three truly competent Perl coders.

In my very tiny, insignificant niche of Sup Forums, lazy plebs use Perl because that was the standard set in the '90s. Those genuinely interested in programming and the poseurs go with Python.

I'd say it was more accurate that lazy plebs use python (or javascript) because everything is already laid out for them to copy and paste on a thousand teach yourself coding websites and stack exchange pages

That is true, but among people I know, people who think about which language to use choose Python. People who do not care choose Perl. Again, the niche I work in is very different from the rest of Sup Forums -- the average age is probably 40.

ur gay lmao

I truly believe Perl Data Language can turn the table again.

PDL is really neat. I was frankly surprised that it was still maintained because I had the impression that everyone moved to numpy for number crunching.