Whats so important about pointers?

whats so important about pointers?

my professor wants us to use them for call by reference in c but I dont like them so just used global variables instead on my last project and got a D even though everything worked fine I should have gotten a A

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Other urls found in this thread:

linkedin.com/pulse/9-most-in-demand-programming-languages-2017-abuzhar-hussain
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>load like 3GB of data into RAM
>want to run a function on the data
>don't want to use 6GB of RAM
shit nigga ya need pointers

>paying $8000 a year to learn basic programming

I learned the entire 4 year curriculum of a cs codemonkey in 4 months

Greater control, better resource usage, anti-pajeet technology because they can't grasp it.

D was far too generous a mark. Consider yourself fortunate.

I hate people like you.
You're told to do something so do it.
It doesnt matter if you know better. You're being judged on how well you can use pointers so use them.

>being taught c

Quit.

Most programming jobs are JS, Python or Java. You are learning nothing here and all of this pain and misery is pointless.

I'm incapable of understanding an important feature so instead of making time to understand it during the one period I am -allowed- to learn and make mistakes, I'm ganna do dumb shit and whinge when people call me out.

-t stupid user who writes garbage code

a) No they aren't. Maybe most programming jobs (you) apply for.

b) Even if you don't use it, a good C class helps resolve theory into practice with concepts like managing your own memory.

Should've gotten an F.

>most jobs you apply for

Uh.

linkedin.com/pulse/9-most-in-demand-programming-languages-2017-abuzhar-hussain

>resolve theory into practice

I forgot Sup Forums is full of psuedo-academic types who are more interested in jumping on the bandwagon of the latest 'smart' programming language instead of actually building a career or making money like the rest of the software industry.

If you are still resolving theory then a language isn't ready for the real world and still needs years of development. Real development isn't about academic papers or theory it's about getting shit done as efficiently as possible.

Stop giving advice and go back to whatever circle jerk you feel at home in here.

Without knowledge of C you literally hamstring yourself from any job involving compilers, firmware, high level performance, most electrical engineering.

But you're right. You could always go apply for another one of the low hanging webdev jobs.

How many of those are actually hiring?
everything is a webapp now.

>so just used global variables instead
LMAO kill yourself faggot. its not even that hard holy shit, the absolute state of Sup Forums in 2017+1

I don't want it to be true but all the jobs going in my area are either c#.net, java ee or web dev.

How do i into "REAL" programming?

>linkedin.com/pulse/9-most-in-demand-programming-languages-2017-abuzhar-hussain
>5. C++
>6. C#
>8. iOS Family
>Most developers writing for the iOS operating system use Objective-C, C, or Appleā€™s new Swift programming language.

I see C and 3 languages that literally have C in their name. Fuck off you retard.

Write REAL software in your spare time and build a portfolio.
You can use any language you want to write a webapp backend.

>compilers
>HPC

Academic rubbish with very little real world value for the majority of people.

>firmware
>ee

Protip: you need a LOT more than just programming to do these jobs correctly.

>low hanging webdev jobs

The last time I checked, most of the 'big data' jobs which are pretty much the wet dream of most dev types are done in the JVM. Knowing C is completely irrelevant here.

Most of the full stack jobs are done in either Java or Python.

In fact, the only decent paying C++ jobs I've seen are in Algorithmic Trading, but it's convenient to forget that you need a PhD and to already be in the finance world before you'd even be considered for an interview in one of these.

>are more interested in jumping on the bandwagon of the latest 'smart' programming language instead of actually building a career or making money like the rest of the software industry.
In other words Sup Forums is a (mongolian) technology enthusiast board and actually does this shit for fun instead of just trying to "[make] money like the rest of the software industry". Sounds about right. OP is also talking about academic programming so i don't know why you brought up the software industry because a professor could have many other reasons for teaching C than just "you can make money with this".
oh by the way
>reddit spacing
>Uh.
yeah, you need to go back

idk about you, but i just got hired as a C dev this month. feels good. I like rust and shit but i'd rather be writing cee than a WEBAPP

nice reddit spacing retard.

>cs
>programming
A good school doesnt teach programming in cs. Mfw u cant write your own interrupt controller for a simple network pic

> C#
> resembling C in any way.

>i'm a c developer and I'm defending my choice of career

>does this shit for fun

I don't think OP is at college 'for fun'. Most people who study programming are people who want a job or a career out of it.

If computers were still the domain of hobbyists no one would be using them. Even your super special languages like Haskell wouldn't even be talked about if big companies with lots of money didn't see a point using them.

>because a professor

Most professors are professional academics who have never worked a real job before. The reason the teach C is because they don't know or care about what's going on in industry because their job is teaching not development.

Teaching C in 2018 is completely unethical and stupid.

>need A LOT more than programming
if you attended the uni I studied at and took part in a Bachelor of Electrical Engineering you'd literally be ready to program firmware in C. The elec program is pretty much the soft engg but sub out all the algorithms, compilers, AI classes for circuitry and firmware programming. So I don't think it'd be unobtainable, no. You sound to me like someone who watched a few Udemy courses and desperately tries to shit on "academic" programming because you know that you can't handle that content.

But what do I know, you're just some faggot on a basket weaving forum anyway.

>i would rather make money and be miserable than make slightly less money and have a job i find engaging
cuck

>Teaching C in 2018 is completely unethical and stupid.

this. even C++ is more useful and actually built on modern language concepts that are safe and sane. C is fucking bunk.

(me)

I'm supporting C and going against the redditspacing child. I do this shit for fun, and you should too.

Imagine using a PC without a pointer

>you need to do all of this

Thanks for proving my point.

>shit on academic programming

I shit on academic programming because it doesn't produce good programmers. It produces snowflakes who think that because they got an A and wrote a thesis on compilers or type safety that they can tell coders who have been actually producing commercial work for 10 years how to do their jobs correctly.

In fact, the only reason I am even in this thread arguing with you idiots is because I'm so tired of the bad advice I see thrown around here.

>i would rather be making money

Yes, that's why I go to work. That's why I don't need handouts, that's why I can choose to live where I want and enjoy a lifestyle that I can afford.

That is the reason why anyone does this shit for a living. If you were paid nothing and had to do it for a hobby then you wouldn't. Look at how many projects are on github just sitting idle because people either couldn't see a point finishing them or were abandoned because there was no reason to continue.

EE's make notoriously bad programmers.

>what is foundational knowledge

this

they expect you to learn how to program on your own

>2 whole years of study
WOW SO MUCH WORK

Might just go watch this YT video on the new LMJSOX stack that's hip and in. That'll make me employable.

>been actually producing commercial work for 10 years how to do their jobs correctly.
You want to know how I know you're a bittervet getting cucked by young chads who care about more than "get it to market"?

I'm sure this is bait, but on the off chance it isn't, you're clearly too dumb to be a programmer. It's not even just being mean, you'd just be miserable in a programming job that you're unfit for.

Dynamically sized data structures. That's why you need pointers.

The most important piece of knowledge you can have in the software industry is what people are actually using. The reason this is so important is because if you are hired as a dev you need to contribute to the code base or you'll be out the door in no time. Knowing how C's pointers work is pointless when you need to know how to program in Java.

As I've already stated, C is becoming a legacy language now for the vast majority of the software industry with few exceptions that aren't relevant to most people just starting their careers.

>You want to know how I know you're a bittervet getting cucked by young chads who care about more than "get it to market"?
>cucked

More like clean up.

Seriously, this is almost a public service to people like you because it's a real pain in the ass to hire someone because they have a good CV, find out that the suck or are only interested in doing things 'their way' which doesn't work, then need to get rid of them only to hire another person to do the same thing.

It's only after completely cutting off grads or idiots who have worked for these meme start-ups that you actually get people who get the game and can produce quality code.

>2 years of study
>so much work

At the bare minimum, I'd expect someone who has been programming for two years not to have a fucking ego or think that the knows how the world works. But, you'd be surprised.

No, it's you people constantly telling people to dumb down their CS programs so they can hire more programmers only to find that those programs aren't worth shit. You may not "need" pointers for 95% of modern software development but being unable to understand something as basic as a fucking pointer means you're a complete failure as a programmer. If you want to be a code monkey that shits out spaghetti code held together by stack overflow then you don't even need to go to a university.

>they can hire more programmers only to find that those programs aren't worth shit.

I'm not telling anyone do dumb down anything. I'm telling you that you shouldn't be learning C because no one uses it anymore and it's irrelevant knowledge in contemporary software market.

>if you want a code monkey

That's actually why I told OP to drop out and go somewhere where they can teach him contemporary programming languages. If you spend your college time coding in something relevant then you'll come out as a programmer who can hit the ground running rather than some CS grad who has been working in legacy languages who needs years of on the job training (which no company will invest in) who expects to be taken seriously with no skills.

I'm not against you here, I'm just telling you that the ship has sailed for C. If you want a career (or to have a job that pays you program so you can get to the point of mastery) and to get to become a senior engineer or something like that you need to master another language that is contemporary today so you can still work in 5-10 years time instead of needing to start again or change careers because you are set in your ways.

How do I find a low hanging webdev job? What skills do I need? I want to finally bring in money while not leaving my house.

Best troll ive seen here in a little while.

This.

Also this.

To learn how they work, duh. Would you really write hundreds of global variables on a real program?

First, C is never dying, it doesn't matter if it's a good thing or a bad thing, it's just not going to happen. If we can't get rid of COBOL then we're definitely not getting rid of C. Second, C is the Lingua Franca of programming. Pretty much every language has some way to interface with C code. Third, C provides the best proxy for teaching people about the hardware without forcing them to deal with assembly. No one can disagree that C has been on the decline for a long time (although a lot of traditional C code has just been replaced by C with classes so it barely makes a difference) but I highly doubt it's going to die. And yes, I'd agree that C isn't useful for getting many jobs these days, but I'd say every programmer that it worth a damn should at least know the basics of C.

>make array of pointers to functions
>you are now a programming god

> If we can't get rid of COBOL then we're definitely not getting rid of C.

COBOL is dead. Most companies are migrating to Java now for obvious reasons.

>C provides the best proxy for teaching people about the hardware without forcing them to deal with assembly.
>C is the Lingua Franca of programming.

Great, then it belongs as a graduate level computer science course along with assembly and LISP rather than forming the basis of someone's tuition in any programming related discipline in any STEM field.

>every language has an interface

So? Gluing together languages truly is something that belongs in the CS world.

I'm going to stop this because I've said all I can here. We can agree to disagree on this topic, but the bottom line is as you have already stated.

C is something that has it's place in education but it's completely unethical in 2018 to be teaching it as the language of the main body of work for any course which is marketed to students as a pathway to a development career.

Yes, I agree, I'm not even a C shill despite developing C code for HPC being my main job. But that stuff belongs in coding boot camps, not Computer Science programs. But maybe I'm just resentful of how much Industry has tainted computer science.

Agree with you. Annoying bastards

Pointers are essential. Pointer arithmetic is pure unmitigated cancer.

>Most companies are migrating to Java now for obvious reasons.
No they're not, the only COBOL codebases still around will probably be around until the company goes bankrupt. The amount of technical debt you would incur from rewriting the whole thing in a different language, on top of the unfathomable cost, is why they're still using COBOL. They've weighed the decision to stick with it 17 years ago and decided it was best.

Migration is big business, my man. Just about every IT consultancy offers it in some form.

The only true COBOL or mainframe guys left are pushing 60 now. Most of them are retired or getting ready for retirement and no one is taking their place. Hence why most companies with a big mainframe codebase are scrambling to migrate their shit before these guys are done.

It sounds like you want to attend a trade school, not a university. Universities are academic, they teach you the theory behind stuff.

school is all about proving that you're a good docile and obedient code monkey. do what you're told and never think for yourself because that's not what you're going to be paid for at your future dead-end cubicle job.

>professors who teach about "standards" but don't explain why and provide cases why bad practices are bad
which is 100% of professors

when we were asked to pass the references in the given function as pointers so the changes made stay after exiting the function i worked around it and returned a struct instead.it did what it was supposed to do but i still got an F for not doing it the proper way.and the teacher was completely right giving me an F that day.your professor was too generous with you with that D OP.

>whats so important about pointers?
they are necessary for complex data structures and efficient memory management

As soon you leave stdio you will know.

>You're being judged
What kind of fascist school do this.

learn how the memory works CIA fucking nigger