I want to close down every windows/google etc thing i have, but it's this tangled mess of linked accounts and programs...

i want to close down every windows/google etc thing i have, but it's this tangled mess of linked accounts and programs... i want to just pull the plug and get rid of this fucking nagware piece of shit
i dont know if linux is the thing for me, or what email i should switch to
have any of you managed to escape the grasp of microsoft and how'd you do it?

Other urls found in this thread:

tutanota.com/
github.com/W4RH4WK/Debloat-Windows-10
discordapp.com/privacy
appdb.winehq.org/),
theregister.co.uk/2014/07/11/tutanota/
ghacks.net/2015/08/14/comparison-of-windows-10-privacy-tools/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>he hasnt embraced the botnet

Gmail was the only hard thing to get rid of for me, becasue I had it for my bank, paypal, bills and everything

what did you switch to good sir?

tutanota.com/ use this op for an email also most linux distros are garbage, besides mint and ubuntu, if you have an intel processor use konata thats a nice sexy distro.

konata? not sonata? having trouble googling for that
thanks for the email tho

distro for otaku

Im using protonmail and gnu/linux, works great for me

can you game on any of these? i have no experience with linux
but what's it called specifically? can you link?

Sure. You won't have all of the fancy triple a titles, but that's ok for me, as I wouldn't play them anyway. This is not an excuse, as I've a windows 7 partition that could technically play them if I wanted too, I just never do that be used most of them are shit anyways. Also check out lutris, they've got prebuilt installers for winesteam so you don't have to care about setting it up yourself. After all, gnu/linux has lots of games and the performance doesn't suffer noticable on most of them

that totally kills the deal for me tho...

If you have no Linux experience than EVERYTHING and every distro will take some degree of learning/effort. You want to game? I say to stay with distros based on the "big" ones like Ubuntu/Fedora/Debian/Arch that are frequently updated AND designed for a desktop experience. Head to Distrowatch.com to learn about some of the most popular distros. I would say start with something like Ubuntu or perhaps preferably, LinuxMint. You can go from there, and they are very commonly used including for gaming.

Yes you can game on Linux with relative ease. Some of it comes down to your GPU - you'll need to get the proper drivers. If your games have a Linux version, you'll be in luck as Steam for Linux is common and easy to use as Steam for Windows pretty much. Now, want to play Windows only games? That's a little more effort as you have to use WINE, an app compatibility layer - winehq.org . How well this works at any given time is dependent on a number of things including the particular game itself.

Remember however that WINE is basically a feat of engineering getting a program NOT made for Linux to run on Linux, so it may take some configuration and in some cases may not work well or at all (though a game may be supported later etc). If you can't put up with having to do a little work/learning, or expect EVERY SINGLE NEW AAA GAME supported on Windows to work in Linux on Day 1 with ease, then you're going to have a bad time. And don't be pissed at Linux, be pissed at these devs who make proprietary shit.

Moving to Linux is not very difficult if you're realistic about things - its a completely different OS with a lot of great benefits.

Then you value video games more than your right to privacy. That's a choice you will have to live with for now.

Getting rid of Google is easy (at least if you don't need Android), but Windows is a pain.
I don't give a shit about games desu, the problem is all the niche software that doesn't have Linux alternatives.
Plus I already know Windows inside out, I know how to babysit it. Not sure if I want to spend time learning Linux. Unless something major happens, GNU/Linux desktop distros won't really be competitive for another 20 years.

Get a Mac.

You can't just expect people to play lots of games on a technology board. The board you're search in for is

its pretty easy, i've always used a Mac. you can even try hackintosh, it can be better than linux on specific hardware.

It's actually the other way around, since ios is a proprietary, uncustomizable, useless piece of shit that, as an addition, you have to use on an iphone and sailfish doesn't even work for 99% of the stuff if you really want to use it. Android is the only way to go, but android is shit without the Google integration. I feel like the librem 5 is really the only hope we've left

Unless you need some stupid normie apps (you don't), you can use something like LineageOS without ever touching Google. iShit is an option too, I guess.
Smartphones are fucking toys, they aren't required for anything, since most people still use regular calling or SMS and won't kill you if you don't install Whatsapp.

Good luck getting work done on a PC if you don't have some specific software, though, which is Windows only or Windows+Mac at best.

yeah, i do
is there atleast some way to fucking nuke all these updates to win 10 so it doesnt fucking nag me all day?
i disabled it for like 6 years straight, but it recently started updating again against my will

Yes they would if you don't life in burgerland where people use technology from the last decade without any will to change whatsoever. Where I live everybody uses whatsapp, lost of them don't even realize that there are other messengers around

Specifically which games are you looking to play? There are plenty of titles that have Linux ports and plenty more that are playable through WINE.
If you're alright with missing out on a few games here and there, then using Ubuntu may just work out for you.

If you're not a Sup Forums retard and you're alright with tinkering with stuff, then a solid option for email is to set one up yourself. Get a cheap domain name and setup an email server on a Raspberry Pi. Nobody will have access to your emails but you.

Take a look as this repo here: github.com/W4RH4WK/Debloat-Windows-10

op uses discord mostly

i'm currently playing stuff like divinity ii, dragons dogma and dark souls, and from what i can tell, none of those work for linux? though i didnt spend that long looking

i meant korora im fucking retarded, just use korora if your still here. If you have intel its a great damn distro and has good nice looks ubuntu is a decent pass so is mint.

Then he should change asap, since discord is literal spyware

also use a usb to install linux, dont install it as a main driver if your gonna use your hard drive as an install partion it with a program or with the linux set up progress. MOST distros can let you play most games with wine so it doesnt really matter which one you choose but if it doesnt play on wine just use windows for gaming and linux for browsing the web.

nah discord is fine, its run by shit posters in aussie land and encrypted if your using some server with dipshits screaming civil war or terrorism then your screwed, its also better then irc anyone can grab your ip with 2 clicks and mumble and that other chat one is retarded, along with unusable and old. Ill give irc a pass because its nostalgia

so is whatsapp? so is everything

>tangled mess of linked accounts and programs
don't link them then, problem solved

It literally says in their ToS that they can and will record everything you say, write and do and share that with 3rd partys
discordapp.com/privacy
>what is libre software

According to the WineDB (appdb.winehq.org/), Divinity II, Dragon's Dogma, Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition, and Dark Souls II all run fine through WINE. Dark Souls III does not seem to have a port or run well through WINE.

you need an email to sign up to literally everything
and if that email is of the hot variety then windows knows
some libertarian i'm sure~ i dont really care if people spy on me so long as nothing comes of it

>He actually thinks anybody gives enough of a fuck to listen to his conversations on a platform intended for gaymers

ye, not to talk shit on him, he's technically answering my question, but not all of us are paranoid

>he doesn't care about being a literal product for advertising companies
Kys

oh no! a company will get more accurate data on the wants and likes of their consumers on a regularly updated, state of the art piece of software that can run without ads ??

The fuck type of advertising company is going to be paying to mine data from gaming callouts and groups of friends calling each other faggots?

the last platform people latched on for this was candid and the running theory was that they are trying to create a bot that can filter trolls and wrongthink and then sell it to facebook or something

It is quite a mess, I was ging to do the same. But I realized I also have things like my phone number attached and other things. I'm really fucked and I can't go back now.

i feel you man...
and can i just say, i got real exited over a OS themed after konata for a second there
the first youtube review i found of it just said it's a shitty version of fedora tho? any comments?

Install Windows with no ethernet plugged in, make local account instead of MS account.
download ShutUp10
Done.

>Recommending wine for games.

Hhahah.

I had guild wars 2 running in wine when i had a dedicated GPU, gtx 970. Got 45-60 fps. Pretty good imho

Meh. Some games work alright. I'd say as replacement no. What with the workarounds and poor performance/bugs. Linux ports and dualbooting is the way to go. There is also pci passthrough. But I haven't messed with it yet.

hmmm....

theregister.co.uk/2014/07/11/tutanota/

Honestly LTSB is all you need, literally windows without the bullshit

i will look into this, saving the whole thread to notepad before going to bed
thanks everyone

>theregister.co.uk/2014/07/11/tutanota/

im alive, and if you do want an anime themed linux distro get moebuntu then its lucky star stuff and other girls, not sure if you'll like the weird menus.

just use vivaldi.net then i actually never knew this was german, im gonna stop using it then.

its fedora with extra security and stuff, along with its tweaked for an easier out of box linux distro.

AFAIK Telemetry features still need to be disabled via 3rd party programs
Use at least 4 or 5, no 1 solution will cover the whole spectum, if 100% coverage is even possible.
Here's a good master list of privacy tools: ghacks.net/2015/08/14/comparison-of-windows-10-privacy-tools/

T. LTSB 2016 user

how do i get past the business shit when i want ltsb, also microdick banned using keys without having a digital license i think.