So I upgraded to a better computer a while ago and kept these 2...

So I upgraded to a better computer a while ago and kept these 2, there are a lot of pictures from my travels in there but nothing else that is relevant to me.

What do I do with them? I don't want to keep them in a drawer forever.

Seagate 120GB
Hitachi 200GB

Install Gentoo on them.

just buy a IDE to SATA or USB connector. These things are cheap as hell on ebay where you can buy all the chink shit that does this directly, so you can get your "travel" pictures.

I have one of those and for some reason my new system doesn't like it, my usb ports stop working if i plug it in.

I guess I'll do that, thanks.

Would they work as fast through USB and sata? I mean I guess they'd work faster through sata, right? Or does that not matter.

Is Gentoo difficult if I've only had experience with Debian? Also. my uni makes us use Tectia now? I used debian in CC.

Also if I were to sell them... how much should I ask for?

You can make a desk/wall clock

also, I need to brush up on my Unix. I got by with taking the 1 credit class even though it had a different prefix.

Buy enclosure and use it as external HDD

you need an adaptor to use those on modern pcs. copy data from them and format them properly and sell them to retrofags.

How long did it take for you to compile that comment?

Usb 3.0 wil handle 50MB/s HDDs with no issue, usb 2.0 is too slow. Sata is best because no overhead

Did this with a 17 year old HDD last night. Works like a charm.

I used Sabrent brand from Amazon as I have had success with their products in the past

Don't those chink adaptors have a chance of burning up? I think it happened in a druaga1 video from memory.

Not really, they are very simple PCB's with a marvell or Asmedia chip.

Don't know about those, but the more expensive stuff for this kind of work is Delock, IOcrest or Syba which is basically IOcrest.

Their stuff seems to be put together with more care than the more chinky knock-off stuff.

I would look at your brand for future purchasing as well thanks.

They do have a molex power on them thought, their know to burn up.

Won't be much.

>These drivers are to big for real legacy stuff that could use it as an upgrade.
>These drivers are too small and slow for more recent legacy stuff

People that upgrade or modify older hardware generally use Flash to IDE converters for pre 1996 Stuff. Or buy a SATA to IDE converter for post 2000 era stuff. You can just drop a cheap SSD with a converter in a PC, console or other from e.g. 1996 and higher.

These converters cost about $3.

Your drives came in at the end of the IDE era and are lower end versions with only 120GB storage which even in 2006 was already nothing.

I would say anywhere between $3 to $5. Or you might find some idiot that needs a specific brand because of some weird appliance, but most likely that won't happen.

If you haven't done it already, then check their smart stats first. If they are close to failure, then throw them into the trash.

I fried a hard drive by plugging the male molex end the wrong way around.