How viable is it to use the original Nokia 3310 in 2018?

How viable is it to use the original Nokia 3310 in 2018?

Other urls found in this thread:

engadget.com/2017/01/17/att-shuts-down-2g-network/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

If your country still uses GSM, it's fine.

Pretty much every criminal uses it

lmao

I use it as an emergency hammer, bottle opener, screwdriver
Fucker has been going strong ever since i bought it in 2003

/thread

Is there any alternative to GSM?
Even burgers start ditching the CDMA or whatever the shitty meme is called.

Why the fuck americans use CDMA/TDMA? We dropped that thing years ago

You can call with it, you can text with it. You don't need more.

>tfw I still have a 3320 but my country dropped CDMA

may work on t-mobile. a sprint/verizon model may work for a couple more years on their network. won't work on at&t as they have shutdown their 2g network already.

verizon and sprint used it through the 2000s then LTE was standardized and everyone is on that, but all the legacy network and legacy devices (like legacy alarm systems) that are on those networks are still CDMA, thus it still persists for a while.

it's also why Qualcomm has the US by the balls, they have a lot of patents essential to CDMA. it's why the US Samsung Galaxy phones use qualcomm processors and international variants use Exynos: the need for the good CDMA support in the US market.

It's piece of cheap plastic shit with plastic frame and shitty abs outer shell, don't know where that stories about toughness came from.

6310 was tough but no one here had one since it was expensive.

easier to spy on
you can't just ditch your # and get another chip

numbah 1 freeduhms!

IMEI is still the same, you accomplished nothing with changing just sim card.

It's 100% viable, I still use an 1100 and it does everything I need it to do. Screw phoneposters.

They love being jewed.
Who doesn't want a Verizon™ certified phone?

Not necessarily
engadget.com/2017/01/17/att-shuts-down-2g-network/

We're making progress, even Verizon phones have SIMs now as LTE is a GSM-based technology. I've heard you can even use a 4G Verizon phone on a GSM network (with only LTE though)

If you are paranoid (or just a drug dealer) you can change the IMEI on some phones or you can just buy a throw away phone and a throw away SIM.

Is there any country who DOESN'T use GSM?

the same country that just discovered EMV

I still have one in excellent condition. Even the battery is still original.

>he thinks you can't use GSM in the US
Everyone point and laugh at the retarded foreigner

except most countries dont do 2G anymore... So it actually WONT work unless you live in a shithole like Canada, which is also turning the 2G off in a few months.

The phone networks are in absolute shambles at all times. Everything that you think couldn't go wrong, does. Even things like "close the doors".

I can use CDMA on my country too, but that doesn't mean that every carrier supports or everyone uses.

>but that doesn't mean that every carrier supports or everyone uses.
Exactly like in the US.

It depends on the phone, but most modern smartphones (at least on the higher end) have the same hardware for each carrier and support all of the same LTE bands and CDMA bands. It may be carrier locked to the carrier in software settings, but if you buy it outright with no carrier lock, it's just determined by the SIM card that is inserted.

I have no idea what the fuck are you guys talking about

Time to hit up Wikipedia

You're probably not the only one considering how shitty Sup Forums has been for some time already

>swiping a tape

Fucking millenials ......

maybe Sup Forums is more your speed

...in which case you'd buy a phone that will take a SIM.
1/10 bait harder

Very viable if you're a professional assassin.

>How viable is it to use the original Nokia 3310 in 2018?
Don't know about the 3310, but I'm using 1280 right now.

Fuck social media, daily recharges, apps'n shit.

I would use one of these if I didn't like a slide out keyboard so much.

why not if it does everything that you want. its better than the new version

Every EU country does
"Other countries" aren't just Mexico and Canada, u you dipshit

nokia has some nice models with sliding keyboard too

what

theres no reason to turn it off because the hardware is backwards compatible.

>unless you live in a shithole
>Every EU country does

Remember to tip the guy that's shooting you on your next grocery shopping, user. Don't tip with a chip card though, he doesn't have all day.

At what point did toddlers stop playing with these things? That's all it takes to figure out an audio cassette.

>non-original response
stay mad

Is this ironic on purpose or by accident?

>ironic
I prefer to make the day without worrying about getting shot by a mental neckbeard

>which is also turning the 2G off in a few months.

really? so I'm stuck with smartphones? wtf

You yuropoors have piss-poor media.

My ideal dumbphone would have VoLTE so that'd work for me.

yes

My Nokia C2-01 desu works perfect. Enjoy your chink google botnets, plebs.

>inb4 ISPs spies on you
Better just one than 26842 apps.

Most people only seem to want to text. Texting sucks on a dumb phone.

Current 6010 user.

anyone here has the "new" 3310? What the fuck

If you are 35 or under, YOU are a millenial.

It's a shitty smartphone in a 3310-style body.

Does anyone use a E7 today? How would that work just for sms and calls?

I have a 6310 and a 8310 in working condition. The 8310 gets some use at weddings, I have to use an adapter from nano to micro to mini SIM.

that's the thing, it doesn't seem like a smartphone, does it even have a touchscreen?

Why do you ask stupid questions you can easily search up?

Best 2017-2018 (or older but still updated) feature phone?

that's my phone

works fine

Alcatel Go Flip (LTE, wifi hotspot, otherwise dumb)

Nokia 3310 3G (3G only, comfy as fuck)

You can't, AT&T doesn't support 2G network anymore.

The frequencies are being changed to other things. Yeah, 4G and 3G are backward compatible, but 2G isnt 'forwards' compatible on 3G or 4G, so the spectrum a 2G phone transmits on wont be usable in most developed countries.

Most anons say 2g doesn't work. so no

You can't

Wish there were more capable feature phones.

Might buy one in a week or two but it will end up unused. Even some of the ones here that run Android are kind of bland.

you mean i wont have INTERNET on my PHONE oh the horror

No, he means your phone won't work as a phone, you dumbass.

Jesus...

soon the very concept of "media" will become obsolete as more and more devices ship with nothing but integrated permanent storage

If you're the type of person who texts frequently, even simple messages, you'll be forced to use the T9 keyboard. No matter the proficiency of the user, you'll be held back in comparison to a smartphone touchscreen keyboard or a feature-phone with a qwerty keyboard. If you don't, then assuming your country still supports 2G, you'll get 4 days-1 week of moderate use and detach yourself from the burden of social media brainwashing.

QWERTY >>>>>>>>>> T9

>tfw no dumbphone with blackberry style qwerty keyboard

Whatsapp and Snapchat is the only way I communicate with normies, but they are both botnet

>Using Snapchat ever

>not getting nudes from local sluts

>Disgusting 3d women

I'm sorry to hear you're mentally ill

I want those clam phones Japanese use

I could write a text in my pocket using an old nokia and the T9 input without anyone noticing.

Couldn't do that on a modern smartphone

But fuck going back, my phone isnt for calls amd texts - its mostly used as a portable web browser & ssh client

It's fine if you don't have a job or any friends.

You don't need a smartphone to keep in contact with friends if your friends aren't boring cunts

Spoken like a true hikky. Why should your friends go out of their way to deal with your bullshit need to feel like a special snowflake?

This is the weakest troll ever

t. someone with boring friends
You look like a bunch of girls with your "smart"phones

>Friends are boring for not spending money on a text plan just to message me.

How are they going out of their way? They can still call and text me, which most people do anyway. Do you only talk to your '''friends''' on social media or something?

>which most people do anyway.
No, they really don't. Unless you're 30+, I guess.

I require navigation and hotspotting.

YOU don't need more. Go back all the way and only use land lines. No malware that way

I'm currently using a random ZTE sample device I got from a Chinese company that is a dumbphone with 4G, VoLTE and Wifi hotspot. It'd be really nice if the reception wasn't so bad in general around here.

UNHACKABLE

>SPECTRE
LMAO GUDLUCK SKIDDOS

desu can you blame them? People are born and new devices are being bought continously, almost no one teaches about old devices just in case. I'm a teacher and recently I found out no kid in school with 7-13yo range knew what VHS tape is, even though me being only a bit more than decade older remembering it from my childhood. Just think what kind of devices you were born into that are nowhere to be found right now. Technology speeds up at pretty fast rate. I wonder how many Sup Forumseeks can tell what pic related is.

... or what picrel is and up until what date it was used and for what?

I'd use one of these if I wouldn't need Authenticator.

++

c'mon Sup Forums, this one could be easily used by your grand-grandparents