What irrational force is stopping you from using Free Software?

What irrational force is stopping you from using Free Software?
Are you a child who games? An idiot with terminal phobia? A slave whose consumerism is his soul?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/dsDUtzMkxFk
github.com/gnif/LookingGlass
Sup
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Libvirt
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PCI_passthrough_via_OVMF
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19145965
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

The first thing.

You can solve that problem for me and I will jump ship. Seems like we're getting close with VM options.

I use Windows 10 with WSL. I get the terminal, Photoshop, and a non shitty ui all in one platform. The only philosophy I have regarding my tools is efficacy.

Nothing is stopping me from using Free Software.

t. running GIMP on my Windows machine

>Windows 10
>non shitty ui

>pro-vegan OP image
didn't even have to read your post to know it's bait

I just don't give a fuck if the software I use is Free

The only configuration I needed to do for Windows 10 was disabling a bunch of notifications, which was easier than getting Firefox to use the KDE file picker on a non SUSE distro. The window pseudo tiling in win10 is great, as is the drawing/tablet mode support. It just werks.

There are no irrational forces, only one very rational reason. I'm not going to restrict my choices in software based on whether or not I can view the source. I'm going to use what's best. I do mostly use free software outside of my OS X desktop.

Sup Forums isn't free as in freedom.

>An idiot with terminal phobia? A slave whose consumerism is his soul?
Yes.

You already managed to avoid what's best then.

Nah, I like OS X. UNIX with commercial software support.

The auto-hiding scroll bar is the worst thing about Windows 10

I don't use free software because want to be associated with people like OP that insults people who don't like what they like.

>not using something because you don't like some people who use it
You're literally just as bad as OP

>it's uncool to choose the best thing
>it's hip to be a tool

I don't say I did it because I don't like them. I say I did it because I don't want to be associated with them.

Free software isn't that good. X11 is dated and mostly unsuitable for good desktop experience. Wayland is vaporware. There are no good free software alternatives for video/graphics/audio editing. They can't even really make a good file manager (the only one more or less decent is kdes, but the rest of kde sux)

>Are you a child who games?
You're not fucking special for not playing video games, contrarian, normal people game on their PCs, stop being contrarian.

Close enough and just as poor of a reason

Finally, someone who gets it.

I use MacOS because I get a proper Unix terminal with coreutils, but also have third party software support.

Free software is nice in theory, but it requires corporate backing to make it consumer friendly. I’m an adult, I don’t have time to make a Linux box work when MacOS works out the box.

man this comic is fake and gay

How does he get b12 from beans lol

Hide vegan threads
Do not reply to vegan posts

If you have the appropriate hardware, you can go balls deep into Linux and use Windows through a VM with pci passthrough and it’ll work the same in all aspects. Mine is set up perfectly, ama

I have a 4790k, 16 gigs, and a gtx970. Tell me wat do. I have a lot of linux background so plz be technical.

>implying that gaming is more pathetic than going on Sup Forums

>normal people
Leave.

He means you need 2 gpus
Your integrated one counts if you’re fine with all Linux programs having to use it. You do pcie passthrough and there’s a thing now to pass the frame into a window instead of sacrificing a monitor to the vm now but it’s in alpha

How much work did it take to get the config and passthrough working right?
What distro are you using? Don't you have to be running one of the BLAZING FAST BLEEDING EDGE distros to get proper support?

im fine with that. i imagine the onboard can handle all my 2d tasks fine.

I'm just like you, except I use Adobe Lightroom for my photography. I like linux but I'd rather keep it on a terminal, using it as a main desktop is just plain fucking stupid.

>tumblr

>What irrational force is stopping you from using Free Software?
The simple fact that Octave is not as good.

>Is on Sup Forums
>Is in his 30's
>Calls others manchildren

if I used free software, I'd have less time to spend railing your mom while she moans "fuck me daddy"

I use Gentoo because I have advanced incurable autism but it don’t matter.
This furry faggot made a quick guide to follow easy peasy and he’s using Debian so I doubt you need bleeding edge
youtu.be/dsDUtzMkxFk

This is the frame pass thing I was on about but I haven’t tried it, but it looks like it’s usable
github.com/gnif/LookingGlass

Sup Forums.org/rules#global2

I use Ubuntu, but I use flash player and a bunch of other non-free software so whatever

Also I wish mIRC with wine didn't suck, because there is no IRC client that compares. Hexchat is inferior and I'm not a terminal faggot

Follow these guides in order
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Libvirt
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PCI_passthrough_via_OVMF

First make sure you’re able to run regular VM’s with kvm effortlessly before tackling PCI passthrough. Get an extra keyboard and mouse, get a sound card if you don’t want to rely on Nvidia audio, I recommend passing the onboard audio through and using the sound card on Linux. Remember to pin your cpu and dont miss the section on error 43 for Nvidia

You can always use one monitor and input sources. I just change the input from HDMI(Linux) or Displayport(Windows) when I feel like switching

It took a long fucking while honestly, this stuff is stuff pretty new and radical. I use Arch so yeah.

I like wifi drivers that work properly
You don't need to eat meat to get vitamin b12

Enjoy paying for being a product

>You don't need to eat meat to get vitamin b12
yeah you do lol

My hardware isnt capable of the awful compromise that is Windows on Linux and Linux isn't capable of fully utilizing my hardware.

Also Linux is kinda trash in general

>vitamin literally only produced by single-celled microbes
>hurf durrf ptfprfff u ned meet to get eet

There's lots of b12 in animal feces.

>Free Software
Nearly everyone uses some form of free software.

>Windows user using MPC-HC
>Ubuntu user with proprietary Nvidia drivers
>Arch user with binary blobs loaded into the kernel
>Trisquel/Gnewsense user running a 100% FSF endorsed OS+packages

The funny thing is that all of those people, including the last guy, has proprietary blobs somewhere in his PC. It's impossible to run a 100% free system nowadays with proprietary BIOS, uEFI, Intel ME, etc.

>would rather eat germs than eat meat
The absolute state of the vegan mind

Normally, I don't even launch a WM when using my Win10 VM. Keeps the overhead low.

12gb of static huge pages for efficiency.

ITT:
>Let me install this free software to run this proprietary software

This sound retarded and it adds another layer of complexity to most users, that is, if you're talking about changing OS, otherwise most people use free software without even noticing.

Operates perfectly

Do you really need a 12GB+ to do this effectively?

i use free software but the problem with it is that it takes a fuckton of time to (run it the way you want). time which you could spend shitposting.

No, I just dedicated the highest recommended amount from one of my games (DOOM).

Yeah, you could eat animal shit instead, but animal shit is an animal product, which goes against vegan views, now doesn't it? And even if they do consume literal shit for the sake of B12, they'd probably be fucked over big time by other things, such as the endless plethora of bacteria and diseases from said shit.

Scratch that, looks like I accidentally overprovisioned now that I look up the requirements.

Why be a retard who consumes animal products instead of just using the microbes to produce the good stuff and then isolating it from them, like a white man?

I meant system-total, not for the VM. I've only got 8GB, am I gunna have to doll out 200 shekels for some DDR3?

Well, you should be okay. It depends on what you do. Just don’t have 30 chrome tabs open.

oh and the cpu usage is high here because I had a game running in the vm

>like a white man?
Ideal for the white man is living in tribal cultures and staying forever within the bronze age

kys freetard

No, that's ideal for a black man.
Except maybe with stone age instead of bronze age.

I am, there's a lot of games on steam.
>A slave whose consumerism is his soul?
Yes, and there's open source hardware to collect!

t. soyboy

Soy is the food of the future.
Highly bio-available protein, high yield, fits in all sorts of food, scares away superstitious savages.
It's the white man's plant.

>bio-available protein
Doesn't have the necessary amino acids

I just prefer software that works and has a higher chance of continuing to be developed in the future since the developers aren't hobbyists.

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19145965

>terminal phobia
Terminal emulators are absolute garbage software, any serious *nix user alive today could tell you. With the exception, of maybe, st.
Try making one of these fossils understand backspace or meta when running emacs -nw for instance.

You're not more productive because you don't use gui, you're just an edgelord.

Free software rocks, though.

>Bronze age
>Chainmail

Humans should have remained hunter gatherers, farming begot the Jewishness of the world we live in to today.

>protein lowers levels of total cholesterol
Still falling for the cholesterol meme I see

t. doesn't know of tab autocomplete, find, sed, or awk

Imagine being this retarded. Just try to imagine.
I would slice my wrists.

Are you retarded? Of course I know about them, but there is no need to cover your whole desktop in terms, because you want to look like a 1337 h4x0rman. Automate your shit in scripts or go to a tty, you peasant.

I'd slit my wrist if I'd have to use your shitty ancient tiling wm setup you probably use.

I hear the input latency is detectable, but I suspect this is because people are doing that part wrong. How are you sending input to the VM with undetectable latency, if you are?

The trouble it takes to use free software vastly outweighs the benefits.
And the benefits of using non-free software vastly outweight the issues.

I do use a twm, yes, it's insanely more productive.
Also learn English.

>Get an extra keyboard and mouse,
? :( Fuck that I'd rather dual boot.

>ancient tiling wm
Not him, but it is objectively true that tiling wms will be the future.

What a retarded Normie still manages his own windows in 2k+17+1?

List them.

The fact I have to list them in order to justify my choice is one.

I'd say quite the opposite, since you've proven yourself unable to.

What a surprise. :^)

I hope it's at least a non shitty one like i3, that can handle the occasional floating window.

Me using free software isn't going to change anything.
I've been using proprietary software since mid-90s and literally nothing bad has happened to me. Your organization, in my eyes, is nothing more than a bunch of virgins crying wolf. I'm not going to waste my time and disadvantage myself over some tinfoil claims. Eat shit and keep being irrelevant :^)

I use i3, and it handles floating windows quite well.
Please at least inform yourself about what you're shitting on before sperging out.

>i3
Yes, it is really great and just werks.

Already multiple ones stated in this thread.
>b-but (generic reason why you should not like thing)
is not a reason to use free software.

I like my software to not crash because I opened 1000 files while doing exchanges with multiterabyte harddrives.

The irrational force compelling me to get my work done.

Call me the day free software can accomplish half of what their proprietary equivalents can.

Did ... did you actually read my post?
>say that I hope that you at least use i3 because it can handle floating windows
>hurr user i3 CAN totally handle floating INFORM YOURSELF
Get your eyes checked m8

Is the doodle in the OP image so malnourished he is suffering from muscle cramping and discordination that he can't pick up a can of beans? Someone explain.

I'll admit it controls good and has imo much better looks than, say, dwm.
Also nice that you understood my post unlike that other retard.

Think you’re getting confused with Google there buddy.

>Are you a child who games
Yes. Fuck off.

My games should be free software too, just like their APIs.

I have a job

I already had extra lying around so it was no big deal to me.