What are your thoughts on skeuomorphism when it comes to UI design?

What are your thoughts on skeuomorphism when it comes to UI design?

Other urls found in this thread:

nngroup.com/articles/flat-ui-less-attention-cause-uncertainty/
nngroup.com/articles/response-criticisms-flat-design/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

For hipsters only.

Thousand times better than Flat faggotry.

Looks like shit.

self homicide neggers kyss
This^

Just as garbage as flat stuff or transparent/glassy anything.

Can't they just make normal GUIs?

it feels like the natural progression of design for the most part, with 2k -> xp -> vista showing a push to get it closer and closer to what it became.
8 and 10 feel like a regression at this point.

Better than the eye-cancer that is flat design.

Though if the skeuomorphism is overdone, it's just as bad. iOS 4 was comfy as fuck

Total waste of valuable pixel space.

Necessary to teach people how to use technology, but no longer needed in today's world. Everyone and their great-grandmother know how to use an iPad.

>slow hardware
>bitmaps everywhere
>fast hardware
>simple lines and squares
REEEEEEEEEEEE

>fast hardware
>simple lines and squares
>still slow as fuck
Thanks Electron.

Normal > Skeuomorphism > Flat

Minimalism UI > All

What the fuck is a "normal" UI?

That's objectively wrong.

nngroup.com/articles/flat-ui-less-attention-cause-uncertainty/

It's damn stupid. I never understood and I have celebrated since the flat fad started, so much better.

Regular UIs that were used everywhere before smartphones were invented. Nowadays I think they're mostly limited to enterprise software and video games.

Stupid when they first thought of it, still stupid now. The amount of anti-usability across it all shows how hipster-design has taken over Apple

Why is ui design such cancer nowadays?
I just need a FUNCTIONAL interface, not some wannabe art project, these people think they're being cool and innovative but in reality its just annoying to use (see abomination that the win10 control panel is).

Basically a flat design but with enough lines and contrasting elements that the human brain can instantly capture the elements and their current state.
Basically like pic related, but with better fonts and slightly tweaked colors.

I don’t like it. I would constantly use high contrast themes in Windows Vista and 7, and while I hated Windows 8, I was jacking off to Windows 10 when it was first announced.

Because nowadays UIs are designed for braindead normies with 3-second attention spans that always fall for whatever persuasion scheme you want (like notifications). Using consumer-oriented UIs has become immensely frustrating for anyone that is not technologically illiterate.

the examples given aren't even good examples of minimial ui design, just "oh we made it 'flat' ". the jewelry one is especially weak in what it's trying to prove. they should provide bigger screenshots as well next time but w/e
the follow up article was infinitely better than the initial findings one nngroup.com/articles/response-criticisms-flat-design/

Windows Classic

Less animations shit
more to usability
Stop putting every menu/button into hamburger menu
For PC games stop shoving 10 foot console UI

Waste of space

I miss it. I honest to god miss it.
>tfw no mobile OS/Android fork with the aesthetics of iOS 4-6

I like skeumorphic icons but not whole UI

deprecated design concept, was thought for a while to be deprecated people friendly
turns out you can't gimmick your way out of good ui design

sometimes is good, sometimes not so.
I remember this oscilloscope emulator in school that had knobs, it was unbearable

Ugly fisher price crap. Don't let ever-fucking-contrarian Sup Forums tell you otherwise.

It looks like shit, and if the flat design trend had taken off on PCs, we would now have a ton of legacy shit that scales awfully because everything is a bitmap.

When it comes to Apple, I honestly thought it looked better and more comfy than the cancer that iOS 7 brought. Jony Ive shouldn't have been in charge of UI design

LuneOS is close.

>hamburger menu
what are some alternatives?

This, but I can't help think it'll be around for quite a few more decades to come.

The people producing the technology are still emulating paper on the screen.