How the fuck was this accomplished????

how the fuck was this accomplished????

>how the fuck was this accomplished????
Simple, back then we had actual programmers.

discipline and a good macro assembler

Sawyer is a god

This

Tycoon 2 also?

Black magic. But really, that must be the only way a game that complex could run smooth on old PCs.

Have you tried not being shit at programming?

Yes assembler is time consuming and tedious as fuck to write, but no it is not uniquely hard. Any worthwhile programmer should be capable of rewriting code they understand in asm. I guess that rules out most of you though.

>using moldy and stale expired memes

Assembly code is 99% just using basic instructions and adhering to calling conventions and shit. Don't act like it's super hard or something.

>how was thsi accomplished
Easily.

Stop being a poojeet, assembly is an easy language to learn.

lol XDDDDDD
Good meme le fellow redditor.
We really trolled those 4changs :P XDDDD

>R*
>not using E*

come back to me when you write your own game in assembly that runs as well as rct.

I'm glad someone got it :P

I kno right XDDDD
le frog ppl harambe harambe ain't got time for that shit harambe :^{D XDDDD :PPPPPP

Lol u don't have to overdo it

t. professional fizzbuzz engineers

oh KKK, Drumpf
XDDDDD

>cmp eax, 1

Get shrekt, kiddo

t. jealous pajeet who flees from God's given language

Nah, now you're trolling. Fuck off lefty.

I aM Le EpiC TrOlL XDDDDDD
Le TrOLleD

Ironic shitposting is still shitposting.

This is you right now.

Better than being an old hag. You're pic related.

I, too, program in Hebrew.

you have to be 18 or older to post on Sup Forums.

>wtf is shit shit?
>it doesn't require me to declare 10 fucking variables where 1 is necessary?
>It doesn't waste precious memory or processing power, and requires that i actually know wtf i'm doing?
>i can't just learn it online? I need to put effort into it?
Poo in loo, then we can talk.

>Better than being an old hag.

Learn Hebrew, then we can talk, you Satan worshipper.

/Thread

Look - we virtually always used to write games like that, on every platform except maybe the PC.

Yes, sometimes higher-level languages would be used (Civ used C, I remember that much). RCT was just one of the very last mainstream games written in assembly language, and Chris Sawyer is remarkable mainly for doing that really after it was strictly necessary for performance reasons - but sometimes having that amount of control is actually kind of nice (until you have to make calls to APIs that are more complex than syscalls, at which point even macro assembler starts getting a bit painful). He was used to it, he wanted the performance, so he did it.

It can mean getting into lots of unnecessary detail, seeing things from super-close up isn't always helpful, but you can still write and use your own libraries, subroutines, shortcuts and stuff.

Higher-level languages got more popular when we had a little more breathing space in CPU and RAM, and so the focus on performance wasn't quite so tight compared to needing to prioritise things like speed of development and later on things like art asset focus.

I wrote some 68000 for the Atari ST and Amiga (where assembly language for games was totally 80-90% mainstream), including a utility program which replaced something written in C with something like 5x faster (although that was because it used a faster algorithm, not with any particular assembler witchcraft); some ARM for the Archimedes; and R3000 demo stuff on the PlayStation (but the official SDK was buggy as shit and made this a real pain in the ass). I know x86 quite well, but it's comparatively a very unpleasant asm and I much preferred higher-level languages on the PC platform.

Doing it today is the kind of insanity even most of the demoscene try to avoid unless necessary, especially on the PC platform - but I kind of prefer that to engines and languages which have so many layers of abstraction it's like trying to solve a jigsaw puzzle wearing 20 pairs of gloves.

What is so bad about x86 assembly?
How bad were compilers back then?

I bet you're all fat like this lol

You're just a fat retard and you like to pretend that your internet enemies are even fatter.

I don't have internet enemies. No one exists long enough to earn that title. I pwn little fags like you.

Based

writing ASM is easy. even easier than C or any other higher level language.
writing good ASM is hard.

try this out
write code in your language of choice
then translate it to asm by hand
not think about why couldn't you have written it in asm from the beginning
you will now realize (assuming you are not utterly retarded) the only reason people don't do that is because it's an enormous waste of time and not because it's hard for some reason

why did sawyer choose to program his entire game in asm then

read this

sucks that programmers arent this good anymore. they all use bloated frameworks and meme languages and make everything very complex.

Necessity. If rct was written mostly in a higher level language the performance would have been abysmal on common hardware at the time. Of course some people could have played it fine, but he wanted to make it available to as many customers he could.

A lot of time, planning and experience.

By knowing x86 asm and knowing some programming patterns. Also I don't think rct1 is an awfully complex game compared to rct2. Not that complexity would be a problem with a well-designed program written in x86 ask.

I still want to learn it, any suggestions on where to start, should I try something on my arduino or on my main pc.

>wan't to learn Assembly
Dude, just write some programs on your Main PC, once you've done that do it on arduino, after that get /hard/ and go balls deep into computational electronics and architecture.

by being written in some weird M$ x86 "asm" macro language, that's how.

he's full of shit and it's fake news.

fpbp

A great start is something simple. Take code you would write in another language and try to translate it to assembly.

I bet you'd like to suck my dick, wouldn't you?

was referring to the size of the fields within register file