/pcbg/ - PC Building General

>Assemble a part list
pcpartpicker.com/
>Example gaming builds and _monitor_ suggestions; click on the blue title to see notes
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/
>Learn how to build a PC (You can find a lot more detailed videos on channels like Bitwit)
youtube.com/watch?v=69WFt6_dF8g
>How to install Win7 on Ryzen
pastebin.com/TUZvnmy1

If you want help:
>State the budget & CURRENCY for your build
>List your uses, e.g. Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, include purpose (e.g., photoediting, gaming) and graphics card pairing (if applicable)

CPUs:
>NO i5 7500/7600K or i7 7700/K. THEY ARE DEFUNCT AND SUPERSEDED BY COFFEE LAKE
>G4560/G4600 - non-gaming (light tasks) or bare minimum gaming builds with a dedicated graphics card
>R3 1200 - Budget builds (best with OC + fast RAM)
>R5 1600 / i5 8400 - Great gaming (especially the i5 8400) or multithreaded use CPUs (especially the R5 1600)
>R7 / Used Xeon / Threadripper / i7 - Heavy Multi-Tasking / VM Work / Mixed use

RAM:
>Current CPUs benefit from high speed RAM; 3000-3200 MHz is ideal
>Before buying RAM for Ryzen, check your Mobo's QVL or look for user reports

Graphics cards:
>Consider Vega 56 for a Freesync monitor
>Crypto-Currency miners have driven GPU prices up (particularly Radeon)
1080p
>MSRP of standard 1080p cards: 1050Ti, 140USD; 1060 3GB, $200; 1060 6GB, $230; RX 570 4GB, $170; RX 580 4GB, $200
>GTX 1070 if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
1440p
>GTX 1070/Ti and 1080 are standard choices; currently overpriced
>GTX 1080Ti if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
2160p (4K)
>GTX 1080Ti

General:
>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING
>A 240GB or larger SSD is almost mandatory; consider m.2 form factor

Previous:

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/
pcpartpicker.com/list/Ct8sbj
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Anime

Anime

Anime

Anime

Anime

Why are gpu prices cranking up like never before? I shit you not, I saw a normal gtx 1080 on amazon for like $800

>gpu prices
because of crypto-currencies like bitcoin

Read the OP.

reminder that you should consider a gaming laptop instead

Anime.

>literally just going to swap out mobo, ram, and CPU
>already know everything I want
>have to wait 3 months for the CPU and mobo to be available for purchase

I really want to get a 1080ti but the prices are too damn high

should I get a [spoiler]titan xp[/spoiler] instead?

>laptops that aren't thinkpads
>in 2018

What brand of electrical contact grease do you use on your builds, /pcbg/?

It's not because of bitcoin, nobody mines bitcoin with GPUs, bitcoin mining is all warehouses full of ASICs next to a power plant with cheap electricity.

GPU prices are crazy because of alt coins, the shit you can still mine on GPUs - Ethereum, Monero etc.

Should I 2 GTX 1050ti for mining purposes? 1060's are overpriced and after doing the math it's roughly the same cost to buy 2 1050ti's than a 1060 and it will generate a higher hash rate

What kind of alt coin do you plan to mine?

a nice cheap and good looking case for micro atx motherboard
i am thinking about making two small systems one with micro and one with mini atx MB
i have chosen Fractal desing core 500 for mini itx
corsair 380 looks cool but i want CHEAP one
any help ?
i am not going to use liquid cooling

Which coffee lake CPU for price and performance should I buy as well as which GPU?

Nice joke. When they come out with a laptop with modular GPUs let me know

i5 8400. Graphics card is completely dependent on pricing. Technically the 4GB full 560 is probably the best price/perf, but it's a low end card.

What's a good case to recommend within the mid atx to full atx range?
Budget is 60 to 80 dollars
Something that doesn't have a full tempered glass panel and much rather a window.
Call me autistic but I just don't like the aesthetic of tempered glass panels.
This just to upgrade my current case of my CM HAF X

Thanks for the reply, I was thinking about the i5 -8600K and overclocking it. It's $259 on amazon.

This is now a Shad thread.

Etherium. But I might use miningpoolhub and mine what ever produced the most profit

Since cryptoniggers have jewed GPU prices into oblivion, would 2x 980ti be a substantial upgrade over an R9 290x?

the absolute state of building a PC right now

> memory expensive cuz (((floods))) and phones [normies]
> consequently, price is way up for SSDs too
> fucking GPUs are kill as well because of normies trying to mine shitcoins and do ML to figure out how gay their face looks

I want altcoins to die so fucking bad, crypto was a mistake

so, G4560 still worthy for a budjewt build?

Because the intel shills keep hijacking the op

no

The only reasonably priced 16GB RAM @ 3200 i could find is Gskill Ripjaws V, but they are made in 2015.
Should I just pay 45 more Euros and get the TridentZ RGB ones? I don't care about aesthetics, I just dont wanna risk having to change ram again next year.

Before you reply and suggest Corsair, i'm not buying from them again. They have failed me way too many times and I can't ignore my confirmation bias this time.

Maybe, if you can find it for 60 dollans

why. What's the alternative that is not priced twice as much
Fucking cryptos

2200G when it comes out next month

Avoid Intel processors at all costs.

No.

this, the 2200g is going to be fucking godly for cheap budget builds

So ram will not come down and now GPUs are going up insanely. Is this a bad time to try to build or will it just get worse?

I'm just gonna buy my PS4 before miners figure out some way to make it profitable to mine on a PS4 and shit on that too

I just lost a ram stick and now I wanna go from 2 (1) 4's to 2 8's, can any RAM stick fit in my motherboard's slots? Also which ones should I buy. It's an alienware X51 R2 my dad bought for me 4 years ago.

>$259
1600X is better

>dual core in 2018
No, user

when do the Threadripper 1900X price drops (-> $450) hit?
ready to get off my ass and start my next build, but fuck if I'll pay an extra $30-$50 for that CPU.

funny thing is buying a prebuilt pc is becoming cheaper at this point

Not a good buy

Either G4560 or R3 1200

No one cares. Nothing anyone here does is affected by the patches

Get fast DDR3
You can't use any DDR3 (such as laptop RAM) but you can use most.
Also get a better graphics card

Those unironically are the coolest RGB shit I've seen, and I think RGB shit is cancer.

unlikely since they still need the same package and two chips for that CPU. Why go for the 1900X anyways? It's only justification are use cases that benefit from quad channel RAM or 64 PCIe lanes. It's CPU performance is a bit worse than an 1800X

>RGB
Disgusting, get Ripjaws

If only you knew how bad things are going to get

Worth it to buy 2x4GB DDR4 and get another kit with the same specifications? My current PC has same 2x4, except it is DDR3 and I barely reach that.
My new z370e supports two dual DIMM slots.

>Those unironically are the coolest RGB shit I've seen, and I think RGB shit is cancer.
This, honestly making it solid white would look really good.

This gave rudimentary info but He really didnt get much further than "give your card enough voltage, keep thermals in check, check for stability. Also try out a memory oc." I'm trying to push my oc further than a basic oc. I'm wondering what my limiting factor is here. I have a decently high voltage for my card (1.22v), I'm drawing massive power, and my thermals are in check at about 77 highest. This also didnt really explain the odd behavior of being benchmark stable but not game stable.

I wanna build a new computer once I'm done with boot camp but I feel like I could just buy the ram cards right now and put them in my new computer later, however all the ram on the example builds in the OP use DDR4, so does that mean I can't use newer sticks?

I want:
- 64GB of ECC RAM right off the bat with headroom for 128GB.
- enough PCIe lanes that I can do pass-through to a guest VM GPU, plus 2x NVMe
- 8+ cores at decent clocks

The plan is to have a workstation with decent RAM capacity that I can move to FS duty after 7nm/Zen2 Threadripper comes out in ~1.5 years.

A 1700-1800X and an AM4 board would get me the same compute for several hundred less, but the RAM and PCIe limits don't quite meet what I have in mind for when I repurpose it in the not too distant future.

>unlikely since they still need the same package and two chips for that CPU.

AMD was promising a drop at CES

pcpartpicker.com/list/

Well, that are legitimate reasons for an 1900X. TR4 is the more capable platform by far but the 7820X is in the same price range if you're looking for an 8 core and offers a bit more performance.

I'm pretty sure the 1900X won't get any cheaper than it already is. But I may be wrong. With raven ridge replacing the low end AM4 quad cores entirely they might have some dies left that would end in the trash otherwise. But its such a low volume segment that that might not matter.

lel

I missed that, thanks for the info.

When's it due and what's the starting price gonna be in eu?

give alternative then
R3 1200 is almost twice as much, is it worth it?

>R3 1200 is almost twice as much, is it worth it?
>$100 is 2x$70
tf
wait for zen+ 2200G if you want something lower of equal to $100

God bless him.

You can't use DDR3 with a Z370

If your board already uses DDR3, you can't use DDR4.

>R3 1200 is almost twice as much, is it worth it?
Depends on your standards and the graphics card you pair it with. If you're getting a 1050Ti you can get away with a G4560 for sure

When will this RGB gaymurr madness end?

I know. I meant my current PC uses DDR3, my new one with Z370 will use DDR4.

1200 is 110 here, 4560 is 53+.

Thing is, I can't wait for more than 4 months, VAT reasons

>implying rgb cant be tasteful on otherwise normal looking pcs

is that my list ?

I'm trying to build a new tower to do 4K video editing. With the current state of affairs where is the best pricepoint to shoot for? I'll spend $500-600 no problem.

>I'm trying to build a new tower to do 4K video editing
An R7 1700 and the cheapest graphics card you can find. You won't use GPU acceleration if you give a shit about output quality.

>You won't use GPU acceleration if you give a shit about output quality.
I will need to use the GPU for Resolve

>$600 for 1070
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

pcpartpicker.com/list/Ct8sbj

>locked cpu
No

iktf

>pcpartpicker.com/list/Ct8sbj
good goym buy overpriced and locked cpu

Tfw third worlder
Tfw it would take me a whole month's wage to pay for a gtx 1070 ti

Managed to buy Xfx RX 580 8gb Black Edition for 280€ on black friday. Thank God.

I live in the 1st world and at this rate we're joining you within few months.

You probably live quite comfortably then, at least way above average.

Should I wait for a Full size tower Obsidian 750D. Do you think they're gonna release another new case this year?

I got all my parts ready to go, but this case looks pretty nice. The Airflow looks like shit though. However the hinges with tempered glass on both sides is pretty enticing

no, full size towers are a waste of space for most applications.

t. towerlet

MITX is sufficient for most people in reality, maybe MATX if you want a bit more expandability.

Already asked this, but didn't get a reply because thread died.

My gpu (290) does not output analog. I need d-sub output. So i got myself a Radeon x300.

It does not work, it is not even detected, if 290 is inserted in the system and works only on the slot closest to the cpu.

How to fix this? Board is x99-ud4, 5820k cpu.

is mini-ITX a meme

>does not output analog
no modern GPU does

check if the PCIe slots are OK with a different card

I know I love mITX but it can be a bit tight to build and thermals are getting worse when you go really small.

actually I fell for the full tower meme for my TR4 build but that space gonna be utilised pretty well soon by drives and more radiators.

maybe

They're still selling the 1070 Ti for $720 (US) here.

Tell me about it, i've got a dan case on the way. ON the plus side my battle station will really stand out.

What country do you live in? If you're earning more than 500$ a month in a third world country you'd be living like a king. At least in my imagination.

That's really small but well organised, for my entertainment PC is went with a LianLi Q21 and it's a total mess. Werks for me though with a bit of cable tucking and careful component choice.

>no modern GPU does
I know, that is why I bought another card

>check if the PCIe slots are OK with a different card

290 works from every slot.

I just want a cute and tiny ITX build with 4 or more cores and a little shitty gpu but 2018 is such a bad year to build a computer

Once I went full I couldn't go back, even though there are some kawaii midtowers. I have big caveman hands.

Did you look for older motherboards with DDR3 ram? Then a RX560 or a low profile 1050 and you've got something pretty nice already.

Brazil
My income is slightly above average, cost of living is high.
Most of my money goes to rent and gas.

Buying a prebuilt PC is actually cheaper now.

exactly, I'm getting a mITX box soon with a GTX 1080, R7 1700X and 16GB DDR4 for the cost of those 3 components alone

does adding more fans increase or decrease the noise of the computer?

Looks good but you better have a nice monitor
Also an 8700 is overkill for gaming

Reset CMOS