/sqt/ - Stupid Questions Thread

Previous:

Other urls found in this thread:

ebay.de/sch/i.html?_from=R40&LH_BIN=1&_sop=15&_nkw=lenovo x220 tablet&rt=nc
s3blog.org/s3translator.html
clonezilla.org/liveusb.php
clonezilla.org/show-live-doc-content.php?topic=clonezilla-live/doc/03_Disk_to_disk_clone.
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Can I rip a DVD from another region even if I have an NA-region drive?

I'm thinking about importing some foreign DVDs. I don't need to be able to play them (either in a player or on my computer), I just want to rip them and keep them on my computer.

Can someone please fucking tell me how to solve Debian trying to infinitely time sync in a dual boot with Windows?
I can't open a console, it's just a black screen after selecting Debian from the grub screen and it just prints out
>time sync x min x sec / x min x sec
>failed: failed network time sync
im going fucking insane. i never had this problem installing any other linux os

What is the best way to take a bootable backup of my current OS to an external drive? OS is Win 7 Ultimate x64, by the way.

I just updated everything and purged all caches, but I still can't get it to work with uBlock enabled. Anyone have an idea why this would be happening?

You need to add this line to "My filters"
>@@||Sup Forums.org^*$csp=default-src 'self' * data: 'unsafe-inline' 'unsafe-eval'
If you want to go all the way, also get Noscript and mark amgload.net, piguiqproxy.com and smcheck.org as untrusted.

Thank you very much. I already have noscript so I'll do both.

If I upgrade my mobo/cpu/gpu will I also have to get a new cooler and psu?
Thinking of getting an i5 8600k and a gtx 1060 6gb.

You still have this issue? Just disable the time synchronization retard, I already told you in the /wsr/ thread like a week ago. Or stop using that shit laptop and get a real computer. Or uninstall Windows, who even gaymes on a laptop? Or stop pretending to be 1337 and uninstall Debian, if you actually use Windows.

>New cooler
Depends, which one you have?
>PSU
Not exactly but really recommended, never cheap out in your PSU, and corsair PSUs are shit in general except their high end because they are superflower rebrands.

212 EVO works in 1151 socket, just use the 1150 holes.

Hope this is the correct thread.

I have an LG G Flex through att, and my loud speaker suddenly went while I was at work. Sound still works through the jack and ear speaker, though. I ordered a new one because it was only like $12 and a remarkably simple replacement, swapped them out, and still have no sound. What the fuck do I do?

Upgraded to the latest firefox and now youtube videos dont have controls on the video, i cant even click the video to pause it
I dont have any extensions. What could cause this?

I dropped my chinkshit power bank and now one of the two USB ports doesn't work unless I apply some force and tilt it upwards, anything I can do to fix it?

Smartphone screens are constantly refreshing, even if there are no changes to display, right? Why can't they make it so that the screen is only refreshed when it needs to be? Is that possible, how much energy would that save?

Disable ntpd

>Smartphone screens are constantly refreshing, even if there are no changes to display, right?
All screens do this. Also watches and 8 bar displays and everything.
>Why can't they make it so that the screen is only refreshed when it needs to be?
Because it would display something for like 1/100 of a second and then would go black until something new happens.
>Is that possible, how much energy would that save?
About as much as keeping the screen turned off, minus the energy of the background lights.

This is what I have in "My filters" and I still can't get it to work. Am I missing something?

I also have a Sup Forums block fix script set up in Tampermonkey. Would I need to mess around with that one, too?

volumeicon always shows the volume wrong.
Disabled my keybinds and left volume control to the applet, it couldn't even properly unmute the sink.
What am I doing wrong?

I'm studying software engineering for 1.5 years now and I think I have wasted my free time by not concentrating on one specific field.
I have tried creating web page with mongo, express and node.js, then .net witt C#, then php with laravel, also some java.
Tryied so many different web things, when i don't think web development is even that much profitable and has a future.
On which field on it i should focus my free time, which language(s) and skills to learn, what books to read?
I am lost, please someone help me.

Will programming ever get new languages? I want to learn programming but worried I might learn something that becomes irrelevant in the future

IT is an always changing field, learn to adapt quickly or find better things to do.

I have the one that's in the image (top right, under PSU).
Ok I'm stupid and didn't check this, I have the 212 plus as it says in the image which (according to the coolermaster website) fits 1150 but not 1151.

The EVO is listed as fitting 1151 specifically.

I guess that means I'll need a new fan too.

Thanks guys.

Hello, I would like to buy a thinkpad X220t, but there aren't many in my country, so I was thinking about ordering one from Germany from their ebay?
So I was wondering are these any good? Link provided below. Would be used for watching movies, browsing, reading books, not playing games.
I know that these are older models, but I would like it to last around 5 years or so?

ebay.de/sch/i.html?_from=R40&LH_BIN=1&_sop=15&_nkw=lenovo x220 tablet&rt=nc

Does the NTFS MFT have a maximum capacity of records and start overwriting them once it is reached?

Occasionally when I click to put a Firefox window in focus, Firefox will think I'm in the middle of a drag-select even if I'm not holding down the mouse. I have to click again to cancel this drag-select. Does anyone else have this problem? I'm on Windows 10.

Any 1150 fan will work in 1151 holes.
What changed is the socket, but not the heatsink holes.
You don't need a new HSF.
Also get a new PSU, don't reuse it.
Look for EVGA PSUs that say Supernova (Superflower rebrands) or any Seasonic PSU.

In the new 212 EVOs it just says 1150/1151 in the holes.

Embedded DisplayPort has a panel self refresh feature, which lets the GPU power down and stop sending the same frame over and over again. The actual display controller needs to keep refreshing the display because the colors you see are tiny amounts of trapped charge which determine the opacity of the RGB strips in every pixel.

Just keeping the backlight on is like 90% of your display power consumption in most cases unless your GPU is horrendously wasteful.

why is it that a stereotypical programmer/it technician/cs major/anybody who has anything to do with computers professionally is always interested in anime?

where does the stereotype come from?

Fug

> Does the NTFS MFT have a maximum capacity of records
2^32-1
> and start overwriting them once it is reached?
Who would design a filesystem to do this?

Windows 8.1 or 7?

I don't want to install 10

Oh, okay, that's a bit of a relief.
I'm getting worried because I wanna rebuild my PC to last at least another 5 years but shit is so much more expensive now because of le epin cryptocurrency meme

7. Nobody wants to test with or support 8.1 any more.

>> and start overwriting them once it is reached?
>Who would design a filesystem to do this?
I meant overwrite outdated/removed files. I didn't mention that.
I don't think it would be wise for them to just fail once the overall total ever went to 2^32

While miners are affecting prices they are not the reason why prices increased 200% in both RAM and GPUs.
The reason is that the companies in charge of making DRAM and DIMM (Samsung, SKHynx and Micron) went full jew and started increasing prices and decreasing production so there is never enough supply and they can sell at an increased price, they have been doing this for a year and 6-8 months now.
And a price fixing investigation casually takes 3+ years.
For prices to decrease a price fight needs to happen, but nobody is retarded enough to start one since they all are swimming in money right now.

NAND(SSDs, etc) had the same problem but unlike with DRAM where those 3 own 97% of the market there are other people that create NAND (WD, Toshiba, Intel, Etc) so prices are decreasing again and fast.
Also i really doubt a GTX 1060 6GB will last you 5 years, 3 years maybe and less if you use VR.

What's a good browser that won't spy on my ass

7, remember to use MSI Smart tools once you create the installer to add USB and XHCI drivers.

yes
you can't burn a whole os with data to a flash drive user
learn C# and some other bull that won't get irrelevant anytime soon if you're afraid of that
the site you're on
7 or 10 LTSB (10 without the faggoty shit) if you're straight

Is it because Microsoft doesn't allow you to do that? Space isn't a problem since I'm talking about a 1TB HDD.

If you are the user asking to burn a OS to a USB
>Is it because Microsoft doesn't allow you to do that?
More or less.
Mostly its because lack of SATA standards on USBs.

Yeah, I was that user. I guess I'm out of luck unless I use an internal drive, then?

Oh an external?
Then you can.
I thought you meant a literal USB, my bad for not reading the whole conversation.

If it is USB 3.0/3.1 then.
In Rufus select "Windows to Go" option when you select your ISO.

Yeah it's an external drive with USB 3.0 support. Thanks, I'm trying out right now. I guess you were talking about a flash drive?

Yes.
The Windows to Go option should deal with everything.
Just elect your HDD, Your ISO, Windows to Go, Boot into your HDD and continue the installation.

>good browser
Define 'good'.
How much do you care about spying? The more safe you are, the less you can do. It's all about balance.

Recommend me a 24" 1920x1080 120Hz+ monitor with Displayport that's not the Asus VG248QE

Asus PG278QR

>Your ISO
Can you expand this a little bit? Do I have to download a Win 7 Ultimate x64 ISO to take a bootable backup? So Rufus will write the data over that?

Can I realistically learn Algebra 1 in a week of Khan Academy?

Icecat for your normal needs, Tor if you're paranoid.

what is a good android tablet for the 100-200 dollar range, not being a dick but dont just write the 200 dollar one, please give me a few suggestions.

easily if you are not a brainlet

Again my fault for not reading the whole conversation.
This will be easier since you just want a bootable backup.
Use a recovery tool to copy everything then(Even your boot partition), Clonezilla is paranoid tier cloning but will do the job just fine.

Does this TV have a sound card?
If so, where is it, and are there other chips/whatever that relate to audio?
Thanks in a van.

You should probably provide a name an actually make a separate thread

Is it possible for me to transfer this data to an internal drive with Clonezilla (or another software) in future? Since I'm going to copy data to a 5400RPM external drive, running the OS on this wouldn't be ideal.

How much knowledge do you already have? If some basics are there then it should be possible, if not it might be more difficult.

Good call.
It's an LG 32LE5400.
Sup Forums isn't tech support, though, didn't want to make a thread.

My BIOS is detecting my SSD for a short time, but then somewhere along the way (like when I boot up Windows Installation Disk) the SSD disappears from the bios when the system restarts itself and I can go into the bios again.

Hard shut down and turn on I can detect the SSD again, but I can't boot into it (I'll just get a black screen and nothing will happen.)

I've tried replacing SATA cables (I used a working one connected to my HDD) and power cables (again using the same power cable connected to the HDD.)

Taking off the CMOS battery, installing windows on my HDD (because it doesn't detect the SSD) and seeing if there's a partition that can be used (isn't in disc management nor is it in device manager)

Is there any possibility of this not being bricked? I'm not sure why it's being detected by the BIOS at first, but then undetected

Yup, what clonezilla does is copies everything from one HDD/SSD to another, not only files but partitions too.
It can be to anything, a external, internal, USB, etc.

Try

Thanks, I'm installing it right now.

Already posted it there, thanks though.

Boot linux usb and run smart on it

How can linux detect something that literally disappears from my BIOS?

Linux is magic

Unlike Windows Linux is not a Toy OS, it lets you know stuff like that easy.
Something is happening with it and its not exactly BIOS related.

I have one of those 12 inch MacBooks that replaced the MacBook Air. I want to get two monitors for it when I'm at my desk, but I don't wanna get fucked over by buying something that performs poorly with it

what should I look for? if someone could just link me a budget monitor that would look nice and perform well id appreciate it since I'm a total brainlet

hey Sup Forums how do I make code blocks on Sup Forums? I've never needed them till now.

It doesn't matter user, if it's HDMI, that's all you need to worry about if not get an adapter for the port. I had a mini setup when I had my old gateway. I would say get a Samsung or Acer monitor, dell does pretty well too. I'm using a Samsung monitor on my mac mini. It works fine

The drivers in your BIOS are extremely simplistic compared to any full scale OS kernel and may not cover whatever kind of edge case fuckup hardware you have. There's tons of stuff that doesn't even present as what it actually is to the BIOS.

I'm using Handbrake to merge an .srt file (subtitles) into an MP4 so I can playback a movie on my ps3.

According to Handbrake it's going to take 7 hours??? Is there a more convenient way to do this? Without buying software

>7 hours
What kind of shitty CPU do you have?

Sup Forums images load awfully slow since a couple of days ago. Is this happening for everyone or is there something I can do to fix it?
I remember the last time this happened was because Hiroshimoot was fucking around with a cheaper server and there was a script that redirected to 4cdn.org and that fixed it, but now it looks like 4cdn itself is laggy.
This happens at anytime of the day, and of course, only on Sup Forums and only for media, other sites load normally.

Is there a plugin that could auto-translate stuff on an English web page that's in a different language? For example: watching a Youtube video and there's one comment that's in Spanish, and that comment would be auto-translated. Anything like that?

Everyone

*For Firefox. Fuck me.

s3blog.org/s3translator.html
I use this translator and it has that feature as experimental, but I think that would be annoying so I haven't tried it though.

Fuck. Well, I hope the chink moot stops acting like a retard and fixes it, but I don't really think that'll happen soon.

My friend bought a single ram stick that should be compatible (like the mobo supports DDR4 -2133)

However looking at the compatibility lists of both the mobo and the ram it doesn't list them even though it does list the other models of that brand. Can the ram really cause problems?

no

okay, which linux should I use that won't confuse my tiny brain?

who /gtx750ti/ here?

lets get comfy

Linux Mint Cinnamon is the most newbie friendly.

Too lazy to go into specifics with you, mouse settings>figure it out

They all require you to put in some effort. I'm going to say Ubuntu because it's more retard friendly than Fedora and has about as much or more support from industry depending on what you do. Mint is sloppily maintained and very likely to shit itself between major releases.

>Mint is sloppily maintained and very likely to shit itself between major releases.
He just needs a LiveCD to check SMART, not to install it.
And if Mint does something right is being retard friendly.

3 years would be alright too (that's about when I switched my original graphics card to my current one), I plan on sticking to 1080p and no VR, I don't see VR having much of a future in terms of the mainstream and I'm too poor to afford higher rez gaming

I think there's been a miscommunication here. WinToGo is a way of installing a new OS that is capable of running off of USB HDDs/flashdrives. It is useful if that is something you would like to start doing from scratch now. It is not a way to make your existing externally bootable. You can image your OS partitions with Macrium Reflect and restore them to another internal drive, and if you are running on a different mobo, windows will attempt to repair that drive at first boot. It is not as reliable as wintogo, but it often works. You can run a sysprep before the backup to improve the odds of success.

With Headsets getting cheaper and cheaper and more VR ports VR is indeed getting more popular.
Still the GTX 1060 is enough for this gen VRheadsets but not the next ones (See HTC Vive Pro and Samsung VR).

>Ubuntu because it's more retard friendly than Fedora
Could you elaborate on that? I am using Fedora and it seems just as easy as Ubuntu.
Maybe it has fewer online guides and tutorials, but the excellent official documentation makes up for that imo

I am in need of a free streaming app since kodi sucks balls now. Need to catch up on my shows that aren't on netflix. Any recomendations?

Yeah, there was a miscommunication but it was fixed here and , I've installed Clonezilla Live on my external drive clonezilla.org/liveusb.php using Method B here and was about to restart my computer, according to this document clonezilla.org/show-live-doc-content.php?topic=clonezilla-live/doc/03_Disk_to_disk_clone.

Is it possible to fix a T400 coilwhine?

Best free software to record calls on Skype? Google is giving me OBS software and shit that requires trails and money

So you understand that you will only be able to boot off of an internal drive? Also clonezilla will not let you clone to a drive that is smaller than the one you started with.

I know, this is only serves a backup that would help me copy the data to another internal drive just in case my current drive dies suddenly, it's pretty old. No problem with space either.

Yeah, I'd stick with macrium reflect. No worries if you end up getting a smaller drive and/or an SSD in the future. Also you don't have to boot into anything every time you want to do an image. Clonezilla is really only there for people who hardcore want everything they run to be open sauce.

BTW you want to do an image, outright cloning is just a waste of space.

I mean if the iPhone gets unlocked and the sim cards are of the same form factor then I'm pretty darn sure it should work. Last I check Apple didn't have proprietary sim cards yet.

While is correct there might be resolution or monitor count limits. That being said a 2012 thinkpad can still drive 2*1080p so with a 2016 laptop you'll be fine - just be careful if you plan on going for a pentamonitor setup or something.

What's wrong with OBS