USA voltage and transformer issues

Hi guys, I have a US blender that works with 120V and a transformer that has an output of 110V. Will it be OK to use it with the blender? The voltage in the USA is 110V or 120V? A bit confused. Thanks all for your help.

It will work just fine.

yes

>The voltage in the USA is 110V or 120V? A bit confused. Thanks all for your help.
It's supposed to be 120V nowadays. The standard to be more like 110-115 many decades ago. For the most part, stuff that says 110 will work with 120, and stuff that says 120 will work with 110. Voltage varies and fluctuates a bit so most things are designed to handle a range from 110-125 or so.

Sup Forums - Sup Forumsoogle

Thanks a lot for your kind answers, The transformer has a potential of 1500W which basically suits the blender (12A x 120V = 1440W) but just confused about the voltage output. I will give it a try then. Thanks a lot guys.

110/115/120 isn't a problem, but 50hz vs 60hz might be. Does your transformer convert the frequency too?

110, 115, and 120 are averages and they're all equivalent. "120VAC" can be anywhere from 0 to +/-160V in either direction.

Yep it handles 50Hz-60Hz. I'm from Argentina and we have 220V/50Hz so the transformer will handle this very well. I just had a doubt about the 110V output of the transformer and thought it might damage the blender since the blender requires 120V but after reading all your answers, I feel more confident using it haha. Thanks guys

It will work but it will run less efficiently.
Meaning your motor will die in 5000 hours of service instead of 10,000

Oh and the blender is compatible with both cycles!

220V appliances on 110V wouldn't break, they just wouldn't turn on or if they did they would be running slower/weaker.

In extreme cases the motor could heat up enough to fail, if the voltage is low enough for it to not start or run much slower than designed.

How exactly would a motor die in 5,000 hours versus 10,000 hours because of reduced voltage? If it doesn't get hot enough to fry windings it should essentially last forever, and a drop from 120 to 110V is fairly common and shouldn't cause an issue.

>transformer
>converting frequency

Buy a 220V blender, you nigger.

I know what a transformer is, but commercial products often combine multiple devices under a simple label. For instance, a USB DAC that has a 3.5mm port almost certainly contains some kind of headphone amp too. And a "router" for home use is usually a router+gateway+modem+wifi ap+switch+other stuff, all in one.

It's reasonable to assume that a device sold as a "transformer" might be able to handle frequency conversion too.

Variable Frequency Transformers are a thing

Yes but wouldn't it be better to call it power adapter? Since calling it just a transformer is incorrect.
The transformer itself cannot change frequency itself. VFT contains a motor that can compensate for frequency shifts on the input and is not available for commercial low power usage.

Might as well try to convince everyone to say "consumer premises equipment" instead of "router".

Because this is a US brand of blenders that are only made for US/Canadian consumers so 120V is the only one manufactured.

It is a transformer because it transforms the electricity's voltage whyle keeping or changing the cycle. In the world, you only have 50Hz or 60Hz so not a big deal since the blender adjusts itself to both frequencies.

I am talking about heavy duty transformers, what you are mentioning here are converters that you buy when you travel and want to charge your phone, or use your electric razor, hairdryer..etc which wont work with high potential machines like blenders or various motors.

Once again, thanks a lot guys for all your nice replies and advices.

do gaming pc's use high voltage?

12V DC

what about a computer with a 800w power supply?

Are you asking in general or just for OP? All PCs have a power supply that takes a high voltage and transforms it to several low voltages.