Does anyone here work/daily use a detachable laptop/tablet?

Does anyone here work/daily use a detachable laptop/tablet?
I'm considering a detachable for work+travel because they're lightweight and tend to have pretty good battery life

Any advice or arguments against detachables?

Other urls found in this thread:

ifixit.com/Teardown/Microsoft Surface Pro 4 Teardown/51568
livescience.com/33045-why-do-most-prices-end-in-99-cents-.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I think it's a great idea and was considering something similar (either this or a thinclient) as opposed to buying an overpriced thinkpad w/ shitty chink battery.

Then again, I have never tried to seriously type on one these things and it looks awful.

The surface is surprisingly ok to type on, the problem is that you can't use them on your lap

I've been considering a Lenovo Miix myself.

what's a computer?

What kind of work do you do?

The reason I'd avoid a tablet / laptop hybrid is they have a shitty price compared to the performance. The base model of the current year Surface runs a core m3 and 4 gb of ram for almost $800. You also have to buy their $100 type cover if you want it to be more than a tablet.

If your work requires you to just work in basic shit like powerpoint and word, go for it. I use my Surface to write my papers, watch videos, and draw and never run into any issues until I try running more demanding things. If your work requires more power and you don't want to break the bank on the i5 or i7 models, consider buying a cheaper, more powerful laptop.

i do. i've been using a sp3 i7 for 2.5 years and don't use any of my other computers anymore. my desktop is basically a NAS now. i wouldnt recommend gaming, but it's doable. gonna get a sp2017 whenever i break this again (just replaced lcd)

The only argument, besides the gimped performance, is the fact that the user cannot service them reasonably. The Surface is secured using T5 and T3 fasteners AND adhesives for basically everything. Know that the battery has between 300 to 1000 full cycles before it's depleted or unusable.

ifixit.com/Teardown/Microsoft Surface Pro 4 Teardown/51568

same pic a year later

Surface owner here, I agree with this

Dude, I think your hotdog has autism

not that hard to replace lcd. i cant even open a 5s without fucking up the touch ic cable, and i did it. myself at home. it's hard to get a screen off without it breaking, but 90% of repairs are going to be, or be in addition to broken lcd

also, this is my sp3 battery after 2.5 years daily use

>detachable hybrids are great as a tablet, but terrible as a laptop
>non-detachable hybrids are great as a laptop, but terrible as a tablet

Is there any hybrid that does a good job as both?

I'd go for a laptop where the screen/keyboard folds 360. You got the normal attached keyboard to use when you have the laptop on your knees and then you'd flip the keyboard around and use the touch screen when you want to use it as a tablet.

Surface Book?

I want one, but they are just not cheap/powerful enough.

Sure there are i7 12inch detachable tablet pcs like the surface but they are thousands.

Im just hoping the new 8th gens low power chips start turning up in tablets this year, been itching for something with at least intel hd 620 graphics on it that doesnt cost an arm and a leg.

Tablet thread? So I can get a Surface 3, a Galaxy Tab S 8.4, a Galaxy Tab S2 8.0, and an Asus Zenpad 3s for similar prices. Which one would you guys recommend? Pricing is irrelevant and I would mainly just use it as a media consumption device, it wouldn't be used for work related projects.

i never get the gas one.
Probably since im not an americuck

I have found a deal on ebay on a surface pro 4 (Not the 2017 refresh) - i5, 8GB, 256 SSD with the typecover, pen, dock, carry case and mouse all of £850.

It sounds pretty good deal, especially considering it was hardly used, been fully charged 19 times since December 2016 - Also still has 23 months warranty left.

Pictures show it in immaculate condition too. Do I just go for it?

livescience.com/33045-why-do-most-prices-end-in-99-cents-.html

None

Windows: Hello, I'm a PC.
MacOS: You're a PC I'm a Mac!
GNU/Linux: We're all PC's (personal computers with x86 IBM specification) plus I'm also a penguin because I can run on Arm/Mips/Risc/6800s.

surface 3 just because you can full windows on it and specs should be fine for just media/browsing

lmao poorfag student here, should I get a book for notes, or would a tablet do the trick

If you go tablet then I think the usability of the sotware would be the most important thing.

You know how physical notebooks and loose sheets of paper work.

I love my SP3, though I wouldn't have gotten it if I didn't find one for $500 cad used with everything.

Though the aspect ratio is godly, if you don't need the tablet features you're better off with a normal laptop.

Can someone advise, is this a good deal?

FYI there are aftermarket keyboards for the Pro models that lets you use it like a traditional laptop,

SP4 user for the last 2+ years, can try to give some tips.

Don't ever bother using it as a tablet, Windows 10 tablet mode is absolutely useless. Treat it as a netbook whose keyboard disables itself it's on its side (can't type in bed on your side).
Can't really say about otherwise, but if you plan on using the thing for drawing/notetaking in onenote there's nothing that compares to something like a Surface. As a student I can keep all my textbook PDFs and notes on ONE device, while most people in my program have half a dozen binders/notebooks, and probably a laptop that they lug to school on top of that.
For media consumption at home they're alright, browsing the web is nice thanks to 3:2 and the screens are BEAUTIFUL, but the speakers could be better. That said, I can watch netflix/youtube videos while cooking/washing dishes in the kitchen with relative ease because the kickstand lets me put the thing almost anywhere.
In general, the thing is really nice, but unless you're a bit of a technical person who's willing to get their hands a bit dirty and put up with things like having to force reboot sometimes or deal with MS being MS. A bit rough around the edges but it's a real gem if you can get past that.

Android/ChromeOS 2in1s for the win. If you're in IT, everything has an Android version.
>MS Office
>Chrome and Firefox
>Slack/IRC/whatever chat
>VoIP
>Teamviewer and similar tools
>SSH, VNC, RDP, and serial terminal clients
>VPNs
>Termux for more advanced shell stuff
The one place it falls short is for multimonitor, or legacy Win32 applications needed for internal tools that don't make sense to run over RDP. If you absolutely need Win10, then yeah, go with a Surface Pro and a dock.

SP4 drawfag here, it's a good device, just hope it doesn't flicker gate..