/tpg/ - ThinkPad General

Old Thread: If you're looking for purchase advice, state your budget and requirements (e.g. size and performance).
>>Don't buy anything OTHER THAN IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad T, X, and W/P Series if you want the Real Business Experience™
>>Other business laptops are also welcome in /tpg/ (Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).

Recommended IBM models:
>600 series, IPS T4x or 755 series
Recommended modern models:
>X220 - 12", 768p, cheap and light
>T420 - 14", 900p, widely available, socketed CPU, Ivy Bridge installable w/ Coreboot
>W520 - 15", 1080p, Desktop Replacement, 32GB RAM on quadcore models, USB 3.0
>T440p, T540p, W540 - last ThinkPads to have replaceable CPUs, IPS displays available, chiclet
>P series - reminiscent to old build quality, top-of-the-line specs, better than most current mobile workstations, but very expensive.

Why ThinkPad?
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap
>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet
>Great durability: chassis uses a magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, with high quality plastic body panels
>Utilitarian design: e.g. indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop
>Easy to repair (most models), upgrade & maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model, spare parts easy & cheap to obtain
>The best TrackPoint, great for those who type a lot or hate swiping their fingers all over a touchpad
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support

Used laptop guides by xsauc:
dankpads.com
ThinkWiki - Info on ThinkPads & running GNU/Linux on them:
thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki
ThinkPad service guides w/ tutorial videos:
lenovoservicetraining.com/
EPP discount for new ThinkPads:
pastebin.com/JVwVGVTW
BIOS logo booru:
biosimage.booru.org/

Other urls found in this thread:

ebay.com/itm/7-MacBook-White-Model-A1181-2-0-GHz-intel-Core-2-Duo-w-1gb-ddr2-NO-HD-BATTERY/322979104401?hash=item4b330e0691:g:M-wAAOSwoPpaTpPe
ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-ThinkPad-Laptop-X220-i5-2-5GHz-8GB-128GB-SSD-Windows-10-IPS-Screen/282242176352
commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Cyprien_Eugène_Boulet#/media/File:Cyprien_Eugène_Boulet_-_Mulher_do_xale_verde.JPG
commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Cyprien_Eugène_Boulet#/media/File:Detail_of_Mulher_do_chale_verde_by_Cyprien_Eugene_Boulet.jpg
phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/sys/d/lenovo-w550s/6458300508.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

T440s is #1

Wait for A485

post yer skankpads people

t440s gang

Hey, I wanna buy a MacBook. Never used a Mac for more than a few minutes, would like to have one to dick around. Something Intel, and that can take a somewhat modern OSX.

What year is the cut off that I should look for?

Is this too old?
ebay.com/itm/7-MacBook-White-Model-A1181-2-0-GHz-intel-Core-2-Duo-w-1gb-ddr2-NO-HD-BATTERY/322979104401?hash=item4b330e0691:g:M-wAAOSwoPpaTpPe
Its $40 and will need AC, and battery. I got spare ram, and HD. I figure I can have a running Macbook for under $100.

Or is that too old to really work well?

>Island style keyboard
>That trackpad

trackpad has been upgraded to t450 model

Love the keyboard

ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-ThinkPad-Laptop-X220-i5-2-5GHz-8GB-128GB-SSD-Windows-10-IPS-Screen/282242176352

Is this worth it?

No lol

What is it worth?

>ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-ThinkPad-Laptop-X220-i5-2-5GHz-8GB-128GB-SSD-Windows-10-IPS-Screen/282242176352

no way, look at that massive chunk of plastic missing. Huge crack.

Keyboard is worn to shit. Trackpad worn to shit.

SSD is probably worn out with like 5% health left.

Dont buy this.

He owns a bulk amount of them, I doubt I'd be getting the one pictured.

that laptop is worth $100 in that condition. It might get $120 from an idiot on ebay.

>nice condition

Um the keyboard is terrible
Trackpad is terrible
case is LITERALLY broken! lmao

worthles

If I were you, I'd find a cheaper x220 (possibly even a x230) and just buy the ssd separately.

It would definitely be cheaper.

oh you will get that or worse

this
unless its a t440s, spend a bit more for a nice clean one. They are good laptops.

What about replacing the panel? Is it worth it?

this reaction pic is so fucking funny holy shit

I'm glad you enjoy it user

I never went about replacing mine, but I assume that if you really care about it, then yeah, it's worth it.

IPS looks great, but TN can still be *good enough* if you're just browsing, typing, etc. despite all the bitching tpg does about it. output to your tv or monitor if you gotta watch a movie on a nice display

what i'd do is get whatever x220 or x230 i can find that's cheapest and in best shape, live with the TN but keep an eye out for a cheap IPS replacement down the road

how long do the touchpads (the black one) last on T430s before they start going on all shiny and smooth from wear?

I'm looking at the pics and I'm not seeing that "the case is literally broken"...
You mean the crack above the mic mute or what?

They'll last forever if you don't use them.

they last forever you you don't use them in favor of the superior trackpoint. kidding aside it takes a few years, and it's just a sticker on top that can be peeled off and replaced whenever you feel like freshening it up

don't buy a fucking x220 for $285 you mong

The stick is shit. I always peel mine off anyway.

kinda worried guys, just got my T430 early this week.

when i was using it last night a few times this white pixelated line showed up vertically on my screen. It'd disappear after a few minutes, but it was still bothersome. any ideas?

try reseating the display cable

this

Pay $100 for a base x220 (better condition too) and upgrade it...

how do i trackpoint? i try navigating with it and it seems awkward

Threadly reminder to blacklist idab and T440s

git gud

Why are you being rude? What have I done wrong? Be nice and spead love, not hate.

Disable the trackpad in your bios. You'll get used to trackpoint after an hour.

Any processor recommendation for moderate productivity? Does model of i5 really matter too much?

not really. for dual core mobile and ulv, there's like a ~10% spread between the base i5 and the top i7 within a given generation. quad core mobile i7 is where things get interesting but it's probably overkill for regular laptop usage

The default processor should be good enough for most tasks.

SSD+8gb of ram should be enough for just about anyone looking to increase the speed of their x220/x230.

basically a 2520m/3320m/4300u will do you right. 3320m is probably the most "optimal" power/price choice

dunno about that, x230s have been rising in prices and rapidly at that in ebay for some reason. decent specs selling for $250 easy nowadays

yeah its some bullshit i agree. must be those reddit fucks caught wind of the keyboard swap and decided its the cool new model so they're overbidding like idiots

>tfw 2570p poster was right

i7 for mobile gayming and VMs
i5 for regular internet browsing shit

I told you this will happen, and it's in your best interest to mention 2570p in /tpg/.

What should I check when buying a used Thinkpad IRL?

BIOS lock and battery wear level, anything else?
How do I check the battery, assuming the Thinkpad is running windows? Lenovo Power Manager if W7, Lenovo Settings if W10, or is there any portable software for that too?

that said, i'm still seeing a few around $150, just without bullshit "upgrades" to drive the price up:
>old half-dead 120gb ssd just to say "has an ssd!"
>"8gb ram! a single 4gb stick we pulled off a dead unit worth an extra $50 on the sticker value, right?"
>"ips screen!" *$150 markup because fuck you*

disk wear, AT/computrace status

check battery with any linux distro that has a live usb boot. just run "inxi -B"

even the 4gb/no hdd/no battery/no ac adapters x230 are selling for 130-150 bucks regularly in auctions. buying everything to make it a functioning laptop would bring you up to 300, 400 if you want the IPS screen upgrade

what is the GOAT finger placement for using the trackpoint? I'm a righty

I'm not the same guy that posted the link. I'm just saying I can't see the massive hole in the case everyone else seems to see so easily.
The side of the lid is just the paint peeling.

home row + left thumb on left left and right thumb on the button for scrolling

left button*

/comfy/

If I install coreboot and an ivy bridge processor in my t420 can I fix the spectre/meltdown security exploits?

You've been told multiple times already that you won't be able to apply the patch to your BIOS if running coreboot

I'm getting my hands on a HP EliteBook 2730p as a trade for a shitty pos tablet because it has locked bios

Are Core 2 Duo laptops still viable in this day and age when it comes to playing 720p/1080p videos and normal web browsing?

I plan to primarily use it for note taking, word processing, drawing and watching anime

Do I get a mint condition x230 for $150 cash tomorrow? 4gb ram. i5

But battery is shot.

Oh my bad. Battery works fine for $150.

install a SSD and you'll have no issues with 1080p video. I don't have one (yet), and I can watch 720p jewtube videos with almost no frame drops

I just bought a T460s i5 6300u 256 SSD 8 GB DDR4 FHD for $455.00. Seller only uploaded three photos, but it looked pretty clean, espically the palm rest which I feel is a decent indicator of how much use it has seen. Hoping for a decent battery.
Did I do good? Worth it to go to 16 GB?

Don't they use a fuckin tiny HDDs in them though?
Or do they support mSata SSDs?

yes, it uses 1.8' drives. no idea about mSATA ssd's though.

wallpaper pls

There are those 1.8" mSATA adapters.

commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Cyprien_Eugène_Boulet#/media/File:Cyprien_Eugène_Boulet_-_Mulher_do_xale_verde.JPG

Better actually
commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Cyprien_Eugène_Boulet#/media/File:Detail_of_Mulher_do_chale_verde_by_Cyprien_Eugene_Boulet.jpg

Thanks

>disk wear
any portable tool good for that?

>AT/computrace status
even if it's enabled, it can be disabled fwir, amirite?

>just run "inxi -B"
this thing doesn't tell me anything about the battery on my current non-thinkpad, why is that? will it actually tell me something on whatever thinkpad?

it's case sensitive. capital "B", you goof

Which one of you faggots owns this?

phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/sys/d/lenovo-w550s/6458300508.html

What I bought:
>x220 in good cosmetic condition
>Regular TN panel
>4gb RAM
>320GB HDD
>Functional battery
$175

What improvements should I consider? Here's my plan:
>add another 4GB RAM
>throw in an SSD

don't fall for the ssd meme.
just upgrade to a 750GB hdd, or 1tb

How is it a meme? Unless the 2nd gen i5 will somehow bottleneck the SSD, I've had wonderful results with SSDs in my desktop.

SSD's are a bit faster than HDDs, but have way less memory and are a lot more expensive.

I won't be storing much on the laptop itself, so faster load times would be a QoL improvement.

Is there a way to make my non backlit ansi keyboard backlit using my backlit iso keyboard?
Both are x230 keyboard

Non backlit Ansi + backlit Iso = backlit ansi?

no

What's the oldest Windows that an X61 can run without going into drivers problems?

Windows 2000 maybe?

I took meant -b, because picrelated. how do I get them arguments?

maybe you have an older version . i think i remember "-M" working a version ortwo back

Getting about 3 hours of battery on this used T420. The model # of the battery is 42T4763, which I'm told is 6 cell. Seems like a budget battery so I'm not surprised by the lackluster results.

Any suggestions on a 9 cell battery and what kind of battery life I should expect from an upgrade? The official batteries cost more than I paid for the entire unit.

Is the T430s with i7-3520m still good for programming and general use in 2018?

it'll be fine

>HDD or SSD
why not both?

mSATA for boot and programs and 320GB HDD for storage

>older version.
nope, I installed inxi just now.

by the way, what is this "date" here"? would be a bit odd if it were the date when the laptop was first turned on, because it's from 2010.

Isn't mSATA limited to SATA II speeds?

Anyone use TLP battery charge thresholds? Are they applied at the hardware level meaning if I dual boot with Windows 7 will it have the thresholds applied?

using HDD limits you even more

SATA II is fine

sata2 is still pretty fast for every day use. you probably won't tell the difference
>inb4 that guy who always jumps in to say sata2 is too slow every fucking time this is brought up

Get the SSD and get an mSata SSD as well. Totally worth it.

werks in solus. maybe its a plugin the ubuntu build doesnt have

>"date"
bios version date

#rarepad