Does a normie benefit from using linux? And how?

Does a normie benefit from using linux? And how?

I put it on my aunt's laptop so she would stop getting viruses.

no, normies are better served using typewriters with a picture of google hanging over it

they will never suspect anything

Linux is probably the best kernel going right now.

They could, if they choose something like Ubuntu LTS. The Ubuntu Software Center and Software Updater make package installation and system updates, really easy. Not to mention, the install is super simple. That being said, you are not restricted to using these features, which leaves you room to expand and learn about the Linux operating system.

the image you post it pretty much explains it all.
>screenfetch
>rice
>privacy???
thats it.
linux has some really beautiful themes and it doesnt try to stop you from modding things, so you can get some nice looking desktops
due to the nature of open source, stuff thats available for linux is also available on a real computer, so theres no advantage in the software selection.
on the other hand, lots of professional softwar is exclusively available on mac or windows, so youre losing out if you run linux.
in linght of the spectre and meltdown stuff, linux is proved to be shit, and the microkernel/hybrid kernel approaches in nt and mac are superior, with fewer syscall and thus less slowdown after patches.
microsoft is dominant, so every manufacturer has windows drivers. it just werks. apple limits itself to its own hardware, so that stuff jusrk werks as well.
but linux, especially in recent years, has no drivers or shitty drivers that are a big regression from just a few yaers ago.
at it gains popularity and normie users who cant file bug reports, it draws in shitty developers who do nothing but "strip gendered language" from the source, adding to the failings it has.
if you find it necessary to run linux at all, i reccomend using an older kernel to avoid these pitfalls. the android project in particular is great for keeping old stable kernels patched

I'd just like to interject for moment. What you're refering to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.
Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called Linux, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.
There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called Linux distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux!

1. It is stable, much more stable, that Windows
2. No annoying forced updates.
3. No* viruses and crapware
4. All stuff works out of the box**
5. Safer, because kernel is open-source, so everyone can fix bugs, not use them.

* - there are, but they are quite specific, and they require to be operated under root.
** - broadcom WiFi doesn't work from the box. In Ubuntu you have to connect somehow to internet to install it, on Fedora - download 2 packages.

>girl I know is poor
>Wants laptop
>Get old laptop (like we're talking pentium 4), upgrade to 250gb drive (hdd/)
>Give it to her
>Installed lubuntu
>Configured whatever she would be using for her
>Happily uses it and understands if an issue occurs it's because she did something wrong

If you take the time to retard proof it you pretty much win. My main regret was not installing team viewer to see what she does with it (it's intended for non media affairs) because I'm a little cunt and am still a not mad about that team viewer hack that happened.

Most people will be okay with it if you instal chome and WPS Office.

It makes you into a big brain boy

We really need to rewrite the GNU corelibs, improve them, and then make all Linux distributions switch to them, just so that Stallman can be permanently BTFO.

why arent you dating her?

I'm terribly sorry for interjecting another moment, but what I just told you is GNU/Linux is, in fact, just Linux, or as I've just now taken to calling it, Just Linux. Linux apparently does happen to be a whole operating system unto itself and comprises a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Most computer users who run the entire Linux operating system every day already realize it. Through a peculiar turn of events, I was misled into calling the system "GNU/Linux", and until now, I was unaware that it is basically the Linux system, developed by the Linux project.

There really isn't a GNU/Linux, and I really wasn't using it; it is an extraneous misrepresentation of the system that's being used. Linux is the operating system: the entire system made useful by its included corelibs, shell utilities, and other vital system components. The kernel is already an integral part of the Linux operating system, never confined useless by itself; it functions coherently within the context of the complete Linux operating system. Linux is never used in combination with GNU accessories: the whole system is basically Linux without any GNU added, or Just Linux. All the so-called "GNU/Linux" distributions are really distributions of Linux.

No. Their wifi stops working and they can't install good apps and then the terminal pops up and then they wonder if their child was a mistake.

because she has a boyfriend (and a tech support orbiter)

Absolutely no

>searches for a YouTube to mo3 downloader
>downloads ytmp3converter.exe
>"wtf it doesn't work???"

>opens the .docx made by his co-worker on superior proprietary software
>libreoffice shits itself

>*googles how to fix [minor issue] on linux*
>"wtf I have to hack stuff???"

gnu/linux

>>downloads ytmp3converter.exe
>>is viros
>>malware creator takes fulll control, enlargening their botnet
>>normie doesnt suspect a thing, cant remember what yuotube even is a few days later

this is exactly why normies should only gnu/linux

>Youtube to mp3 converter

>My main regret was not installing team viewer to see what she does with it (it's intended for non media affairs)
>she has a boyfriend

>monitoring the usage of computer of other person
>(((little cunt)))
you are not a little cunt,but a giant cunt
just like google,microsoft,NSA/CIA

>Does a normie benefit from using linux?
no
>And how?
they don't.

The average normaltrash today should never touch Linux or BSD.

>We really need to rewrite the GNU corelibs, improve them, and then make all Linux distributions switch to them
Good luck with that.

There's a reason Stallman spent 20 years doing the very same thing, stalling the kernel development during the process.

Millions of normies benefit from it with their android devices.

Still doesn't make linux anything more than a kernel.

>wifi stops working
Not for no reason it doesn't. You can't convince us to go back to the shitness that windows 10 you are better off shilling the comments on PC gamer.

Boost in productivity if you dont get drawn to memes.

>5. Safer, because kernel is open-source, so everyone can fix bugs, not use them.
>write bug fix or add feature requested for over 10 years, get rejected
NICE FILEPICKER FAG

STOP USING GNOME FAG

You may eventually get paid for what you learn on the stack and it makes you more productive on a very long run. I don't regret having learnt LaTeX and BÉPO though.

A large part of our communities is composed of people having been marginalized and having experienced school harrassment so a plain computer would be their main priority. However, if you want to use GNU/Linux with likely less problems than you'd have on Windows, I suggest you FedoraLinux and KDE.

Smaller possibility of getting targeted viruses.
As a user you aren't allowed to fuck with system files.
Better performance then windows on most hardware for general usage (This is arguable depending on the WM or DE used).

Antivirus exist for a reason which is preventing botnet owners to DDoS your town's main expansive shit shop's website during Christmas, not because the virus would harm you.

However, proprietary software is garbage because they want to make money, not to sell something decent, and there are plenty of examples like Facebook, smartphone software, Windows, etc. vs. BSD, Firefox, MPD, etc.

ytmp3converter.exe is garbage, use youtube-dl instead.

libreoffice reads .docx documents fine and you likely don't know what you're talking about; by the way the problem isn't Libreoffice but Microsoft Office.

You have to edit config files manually on Linux but it's what Windows is doing anyway, in a way more intrusive and radical way.

Honestly - no, not at all. My mom used my Ubuntu laptop for 2 weeks when I was away and she already had two malicious Chromium extensions installed. Since fewer people download dedicated software and more and more stuff is moved to the cloud, the browser attack surface between Windows and Linux is basically the same

No they're not. Even if you say that most of the usage is inside a browser, there are still more ways to attack Windows outside of the browser than Linux.

I don't think so. I appreciate the efforts behind distros like Ubuntu that aim at being normie-friendly, but the technology just isn't there yet.
If something is going to be normie-ready, then a normie should never be exposed to the underlying operating system, as in things like the terminal, error codes, etc.. They should have a beautiful desktop and a seamless experience, completely oblivious to anything that's going on under the hood.

Linux is good for experts and noobs. Not the midrange segment.

If the end user just wants to make documents, browse the internet, use email, look at videos, and listen to music. Then Linux is better than windows.

Same goes for users who want to make their computers do exactly what they tell them, or host servers.

Not so much for the midrange segment who do things like edit digital media or play games.

>.exe
Thats what's funny about it. ...R-right?

Linux is the name of the kernel that Linus Torvalds developed starting in 1991. The operating system in which Linux is used is basically GNU with Linux added. To call the whole system “Linux” is both unfair and confusing. Please call the complete systemGNU/Linux, both to give the GNU Project credit and to distinguish the whole system from the kernel alone.

Freetards don't like normies. So, just use Windows or MacOS.

See pic related on the Linux kernel in the Linux operating system.

No.

I installed it on my grandmother's old laptop after she was able to fill Windows with bloat and viruses. Now that's not a concern since she doesn't know how to install anything on Linux, and she still can use it for everything she did before.

I installed Ubuntu on an old laptop for my dad, who does only one thing:
>open browser with google as startpage
>type name of a well known private car sales site
>click on first search result
>search for bargain buy used car

He profits because it just werks and he can tell everyonw his son is some sort of tech guru.

fake

1. Typical normie doesn't have problems with his system stability
2. right, but normies don't really care, we just update this shit
3. Common Sense 2018 is enough, I don't reremeber getting virus
4. Mostly yeah, but on windows it works the same for me
5. Kinda right, but normies don't care about open sores

While those aguments are kinda sound they don't mean shit to typical normie. I dualboot arch and win10 and I can't think of a good argument for it besides learining linux

One subproject decides to be gay and apparantly everyone is gay now
> Common sense 2018 is enough
Working at a computer repair store i can definitely say that this is not the case for retards

JESUS FUCKING CHRIST THAT IS PROBABLY THE MOST PUNCHABLE FUCKING FACE I HAVE SEEN.
FUCK.

Ok, I get it's probably the case, but I imagine typical retard wouldn't even consider learning how to use new system with new ui "just" to prevent this kind of shit from happening. They would rather use this virus-ridden shit until it stops working completely

>4. All stuff works out of the box**

Fair point

She's a lesbian
I'm a they know I'm a terrible person but they also know I'm generous. Who just gives someone poor laptop with no strings attached?

only thing a normie deserves is death

>In April 1991, Linus Torvalds, at the time a 21-year-old computer science student at the University of Helsinki, Finland, started working on some simple ideas for an operating system. He started with a task switcher in Intel 80386 assembly language and a terminal driver. On 25 August 1991, Torvalds posted the following to comp.os.minix, a newsgroup on Usenet:[18]
> I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones. This has been brewing since April, and is starting to get ready. I'd like any feedback on things people like/dislike in minix, as my OS resembles it somewhat (same physical layout of the file-system (due to practical reasons) among other things).
> I've currently ported bash(1.08) and gcc(1.40), and things seem to work. This implies that I'll get something practical within a few months [...] Yes - it's free of any minix code, and it has a multi-threaded fs. It is NOT portable (uses 386 task switching etc), and it probably never will support anything other than AT-harddisks, as that's all I have :-(.
Linus Torvalds wanted to create an operating system. Richard Stallman wanted to create an operating system. They started from different ends. Linus started in 1991 when Bash and GCC were freely available so he didn't have to do them too. Are Bash and GCC an operating system? GNU without Linux is not an operating system, it's missing everything needed for software to communicate with hardware, which an operating system is. Calling the system GNU is even more wrong than calling it Linux. If you want to be accurate you'll have to include both. If you don't want to be accurate you can say anything.

My 55 year old that finds Linux mint much more reliable and just as easy so I would say yes