Is it learning Russian worth it for an engineer?

Is it true that learning Russian would be great for reading untranslated documentation about technology that doesn't even exist in western countries yet?

Is it useful for an Informatic Engineer (Ingeniería Informática,Computer Science or whatever you want to call it) which also dropped in half of his Electronics Engineering career ?

No, the only language that is worth learning strictly for technological reasons is english, as it is the lingua franca and the language that any serious engineering will be done in.
There are other reasons to learn russian besides just technological.
In the past (during the soviet union), engineers learned basic russian as a way to collaborate with the soviets. Since the dissolution of the soviet union, and because the current russian federation is far weaker and less influential, nobody learns russian anymore.

You got me curious.

Any russian engineer worth his salt can already speak English.

Source: I work with Russian engineers and am not russian

enjoy your v&

It could have been interesting during the soviet era (although it would have granted you a communist tag and constant CIA surveillance), but nowadays russia GDP is on par with italy it's a barren land. they don't do anything interesting beside drinking vodka to death.

you'd rather learn mandarin (good luck with that lol)

>learn chinese
>specialize in industrial patents and copyrights enforcement
>profit

or

>learn pajeet
>specialize in outsourcing and human exploitation
>profit

nah, Russia has fallen, due to brain drain.

Better start learning Mandarin, because China is where real innovasjun happens now

You only need English, I had a teacher who did his in the USSR and he has some books and shit in Russian, but nothing you could not get in English.
But you can learn it if you want, It's a cool language I guess.

his PhD*

>nowadays russia GDP is on par with italy

It's way below actually, more like Spain's or South Korea's. With a 150.000.000 population and a territory twice as big as the US or China that's kind of a shame.
Half of their males actually drink themselves to death.

Are you retarded?
Almost anyone competent wants to get out of Russia. It's literally the world's largest gas station. They have nothing else going for them because of how corrupt the country is. There are some rich people who Putin collects rent from and some ridiculous percentage of the population is on alcohol and drugs.

If you live in timeline where there is no USSR disbanding in 1991.

no unless you plan to work a lot with russians , work in russia or already know like 6 languages.

>china
>innovation
dont make me laugh, chang

for static documentation you can get by with google translate. Russian is fairly straight forward to translate to english.

there are a lot of cases in russian (16 or something like that), but i'm not sure it would be used that much in technical applications.

that being said, russian is a pretty cool language, and i've slowly slowly started to learn it, but not for any technical reasons.

Learn huahue

This.
This except that there are actually few new scientific discoveries. But learn russian for that? Hell no!

>Russia
>Going up
>Ever
This fact alone shows how delusional this people are

>2025
>russia top8
>then top7
ahahahahaha
forget about that
t. russian

microsoft had embrace extend extinguish
china has steal IP, innovate, dominate
i for one welcome our insect people overlords

I guess it assumes they somehow get their shit together and start beating the corruption before 2020.

>Australia beating the UK
Believable by our current crazy rate of immigration, except by that time we'll be a majority Chinese country.

Бля, aмepикoc, хyйню кaкyю-тo нeceшь!

This cannot be right. Australia is an already developed country with a small population and no natural growth. Unless the rest of the world goes backwards there is no way we end up in the top eight.

>PhD
Candidate of Sciences, I suppose?

have many old book in russian about engenering
but not new

just because china bought half your swedish companies, it doesn't mean they innovate
Japan or even the Netherlands is more like it

i think its predicated on chinas OBOR and russian economy being boosted by that, as well as increased use of natural gas as europe and elsewher scramble to reduce emissions without breaking the bank
the biggest problem with this graphic is india not being a superpower by 2020

>Unless the rest of the world goes backwards
>what is islam

Russian science is fucking dead, man. Everyone who is capable of making something great is leaving to Silicon Valley and other places like that.

A FUCKING MACACO

>I guess it assumes they somehow get their shit together and start beating the corruption before 2020.
Yyyyeeeaaah and that's pretty wild assumption for a country where any political competition is suppressed ffs.
t. russian
динaхyй

Learning chinese right now for fun and I'm actually getting decent at it. How do I get into those territories?

Are you fucking 13yo? That has got to be the stupidest question I've ever read here.

learn italian, dagos have the worlds best hackers

tell your manager to fire you, your english skills are weak as fuck chang

Caм ди, aгeнт eбaный!

China, India, Asia in general suffer from the same thing

That's why Asians are so overrepresented in the high paying tech and medical fields, because all their best and brightest moves into the West

They are over here too

And we are now getting gangs of Sudanese in Melbourne, it's turning into Sweden

Some woman got her face severely cut up by a box cutter and her bike stolen by a group of Africans last year

What do we even have that you dont?

I think all you need is a combination of machine translation and educated guesswork to make sense out of russian documents.
And yes Russian is a synthetic language with clusterfuck grammar it's pretty hard compared to Roman language group.

Tы тyт нeдaвнo, дa?

>having to have the names of the countries listed next to their associated flag

No.

FPBP

Eбaл я вac в poт

>australia
>number 8 2040

LMAOOOOO the current conservative (read: fuckwit) government has completely fisted any chance of our economy being competitive.

Also we have absolutely no manufacturing industry. Perhaps they're assuming there'll be food shortages everywhere because cunts don't know how to close their legs and we'll be selling food to everyone.

нeт

>technology that doesn't even exist in western countries yet
As a native russian-speaker this made me kek so hard.

>new scientific discoveries
Russian "academy of sciences" specializes on developing fake drugs (like homeopathic and such), wtf do you even mean?

> by that time we'll be a majority Chinese country.

>2050
>not living in one of the glorious prosperous People's Republics of Canada, Australia or NZ

The nips and chinks are going to be the leaders in that part of the world.

Australia's economy is supported by 2 pillars:

Pillar 1 is international students
Pillar 2 is people serving each other coffee.

English is and will continue to be the global lingua franca of science and technology, so there's no use learning a new language for the sake of technical knowledge.
The only free, first-world countries on that don't already have very strong English are Japan and France, so their languages are the only ones you'd want to learn for the sake of migration.

I got the impression that a lot of Australia's economy was exporting raw/processed goods, like oil, metals and meat. Is that not the case?

Other then English the next languages worth knowing are Spanish, Portuguese or Arabic

Chink is a difficulty cliff. Jap is oversaturated by weebs. well educated pajeets can speak english already and are futher split by bengali and punjabi.

Learning Chinese is decent if you're into electronics.

>Portuguese
>worth knowing
Why?
Nothing but soyboys that don't invent shit anyway speaks that language.

learning a language is expanding yourself and your utility, so in general its a good idea. I'm currently learning jap so I can move to tokyo.

Back when iron ore prices were sky high we were on loadsamunny, our PM at the time tried to put a tax on mining super-profits while they lasted and suffered a huge advertising campaign against him and got knifed by his colleagues as a result, leading to the start of the "5 PMs in 5 years" shitstorm.

But now iron ore, gas and coal prices are low again.

We do practically zero value add and just fill Chinese boats with our dirt.

>not just learning chinese to read chinese comics

id rather learn japanese to read untranslated japanese adult picture magazines

>watch literal chinese cartoon adaptation of okish chinese comic "School Shock"/"Chu feng bee"
>10 minute episodes including OP and flashbacks, only six episodes, months between releases, mediocre to terrible animation
i don't know what I expected

pretty fucked up isn't it senpai

rude

why do people think china is a power and not just presently the cheapest place to manufacture?

once china stops being the cheapest place, they're just another shithole

Chink students come to ausfailia for our quality of education, not at all so they can get a PR visa then work towards bringing their entire family over.

>LMAOOOOO the current conservative (read: fuckwit) government has completely fisted any chance of our economy being competitive.

>Malcolm Turnbull said all premises would have access to the NBN by the end of 2016 at a cost of $29.5 billion.
this fucking country

china is ok
good work prospects
reasonable living costs
probably better than where i am now to live

>It could have been interesting during the soviet era (although it would have granted you a communist tag and constant CIA surveillance), but nowadays russia GDP is on par with italy it's a barren land. they don't do anything interesting beside drinking vodka to death.
At least they can launch people into space while a blizzard is hitting them

Indonesia is tipped to be the world's new manual labour sweatshop manufacturing shithole

Still, Shenzhen is gonna be the world capital for electronics manufacuring for a long bloody time.

>Is it true that learning Russian would be great for reading untranslated documentation about technology that doesn't even exist in western countries yet?

Russophile Sup Forumstards should kill themselves.

Learning Chinese would be infinitely more useful. There are cheap electronic components and even ICs with only Chinese datasheets. China is so dominant in hardware manufacturing that Western hardware startups move to Shenzhen as early as possible.

I feel for uni students who gets stuck in a group assignment with the international students who are only here for a visa

mandarin and russian is the future no questions asked
china and russia are leapfroggin very seriously nowdays so yeah both of their lang will be a very serious addition to anyone's cv
usa is fighting to hold their status quo ante but considering that they are against a country that they constantly downplay(russia) and a country that is showing the world what they can do in a few years of time(china)and are 4 times as large AND considering that china and russia basicly landlocked africa and they are evolving most of the countries there(note they arent fucking their countries there is a difference they are evolving them because they know that they are going to buy chinese and russian stuff)
usa is doomed already everyone knows it they lost the control of south china sea they lost the control of the caspian basin they lost the control of europe usa is the shortest lived superpower to date

maybe in 50s-70s. Russia is a corpse
Chinese could be good for the future though.

Whenever you meet a Russian, just scream "Cyka Blyat" at them.

and watch as he pulls his dragunov out of his pocket and just shoots your brains out

Da, komrade.

Why would you learn russian? Their economy is smaller than many of the other smaller european countries and based heavily on oil/gas export. I doubt they have much technology that western world does not.

The fact that russians are emigrating / go to schools in western countries and not vice versa says a lot.

and germans go to uk uni
and french go to german uni or uk uni
what does that even mean ?LOL

and many foreigners go to german uni
and many foreigners go to french uni

Examples you mentioned are between the countries where school quality and actually life standard are comparable. There is more foreign students in UK/Germany than in Russia, while Russia being bigger country with bigger population.

Check the ratings of best universities in world - Russia is at tail of the list.

Ur american lol. Russia's oil is not the driver of their economy, it's quite diversified and steadily improving.

no it is not , they are trying to diversify it but gas/oil is still biggest part.

non american here btw

Nod really :D :D
Unless you want to be a spy and read blueprnts of warfare aircrafts.

> russia
> gets it shit together
> ever
nah son, I've lived here all my life, everything just gets worse with every passing year

Eastern Euro here.
No.

Things here are very much not documented.
Only documentation standards disappeared with the fall of the Soviet Union and in these modern times and post communism transition any document keeping standards are abandoned.
You basically watch and learn.

tldr on russia - criminal society fusing with the government, and getting overwhelmed with power, not knowing what to do with it, they use it to amass greater riches ( yachts, family castles, soccer teams and golden baguettes ) while merely playing politics, not giving a single fuck about the future of their country, since all of their relatives and offspring are already living a comfortable life in Europe.

That sums up the past 30 years very accurately.

for quality and breadth of literature you can't beat German, French and Russian. French has a corpus of literature second only to English, and Russian has numerous texts of central Asian peoples untranslated to any other language. German needs no introduction as a country that produces first rate engineering.
Arabic is mostly limited to historical significance despite broad usage.

in terms of personal interests I'd rather learn languages like Lithuanian, Albanian, Armenian or Farsi/Urdu for highly distinctive branches of indo-european.
for other more uncouth tongues id learn Hebrew, Turkish, Finnish, Basque, or Hungarian.
Chinese and other tonal languages hold little interest for me due to how horrible it sounds.

No

Here is a pro tip for you.
Albanian is spoken in Albania,Kosovo and Macedonia.
If you pick one person from each of those countries in a single room and observe them talking.
You will soon realize that they do not understand each other.
I will not get behind the reasons for this because it is a broad subject but the main point is that I was witness to this kind of situation and you have very generalist view of what is important.

I only know of two Albanian dialects. what is this third one you're inventing?

Quick, someone post that DO NOT LEARN MANDARIN shitpost!

You refer it as a dialect but those counties claim there is no such thing.
You must be their spokesperson or something.

>shitpost
Shitpost? I imagined that man just vented his frustration about chinks.

this

Deutsche Sprache schöne Sprache uezs

>t. cheng dog eater

thats not even comparable
russia started to come out of the shithole it was at 2003
compare russia from that era to the 2017 russia..

Russia is a shithole. I would not let you in to my country desu.