Window 95 that must die,
I've installed the DOS, and I've seen
Where all the happiness - that's it

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=bS9hiSwL1KY
youtube.com/watch?v=iPVqAvgGbWo
youtu.be/hy66pEc63XE
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

if you try to run from the present by fleeing to the past you will only find yourself trapped at a dead end brick wall with nowhere to go.
When you finally come to your senses and attempt to look back to the present you will find that life has moved on and everyone else is now in the distant future with no way to get there yourself.

Why are Russians gluttons for punishment?

So, what's your problem?

It's actually quite ironic how people keep on doing that with linux kernel based OSes now

Nice song retrocomputing comrade. Brings a lot of good memories.

Gentoomen existed long before Gentoo, didn't they?

communism

fpbp

Is it possible anyhow to connect new drives to IDE?

How many times have you attempted suicide, user?

sata to ide converters exist
bidirectional sataide converters exist
some chinese manufacturers make IDE SSDs

>using a mechanical mouse and it's dope

kek

yes please

>use mechanical mouse
>15 minutes since the ball was last cleaned
>needs cleaning again
>shit tracking even when clean

>IDE SSDs
kek, still not as stupid as an external ssd with usb 2

Believe it or not, I actually managed to burn the beta version of 98 and have it run quite okay.

>IE4 a goddamn pain in the ass tho

IDE is still pretty quick considering the systems your going to be using it on but your main benefit is IOPs rather than raw sequential speed like with any SSDs

Maybe you just place mouse on a shitted table.

LMAO IVE SEEN THE NEW 8-BIT GUY VIDEO TOO!!

Nope.

I used a external SSD over USB on the Wii U.
Much, MUCH faster loading than on a HDD.

IDE SSDs have been a thing for decades, they much more benefitial, dosen't matter if the transfer rate is only 40 or 100 MB/s

i have been using one for 2 years on my i5 2500k desktop because the buttons failed on the optical mouse that i had.

for what purpose? bios can't handle the modern sizes.

BIOS can handle 1 and 2TB drives just fine, if you honestly needs more than 2tb in a system that is still IDE just add another drive

But that screensaver is from Windows, DOS didn't have it...

>BIOS can handle 1 and 2TB drives just fine
we talking about old hardware? i had problems with drivers higher than 2gb with different computers back then just to be recognised by the bios.

>what is drive overlay software
You're a pleb!

It was asked if new drives can be connected to IDE so I assumed that the hardware wasn't too ancient that can handle/benefit from a modern SSD or HDD.
if you just need a drive for any old machine a better option is a CF card with an IDE adapter if you don't want to deal with old sketchy hard drives

>trusting 3rd party software to do bios job

I have had one to many data loss experiences to fuck around with adding extra complexity to what shouldn't require it.
I remember seeing in different threads anons using a SSD with IDE interface for retro machines. They're not using SSDs for the benefit of speed but more because it is hard to find older hard drives that are still working for their needs.

>mfw you can still install DOS just fine on modern PCs

>just fine
Doubt it.

youtube.com/watch?v=bS9hiSwL1KY

Yes. As long as it supports Legacy boot, your SATA controller has drivers for DOS, the drives are smaller than 2TB, and you'll be limited to 1 CPU core, no sound, no music, no network, no printer, only 64MB RAM, no USB keyboard and very limited overall USB support. Also, you'll have a harder time getting your optical drives, mouse and supposedly supported USB devices to work than installing Gentoo.

>I have had one to many data loss experiences to fuck around with adding extra complexity to what shouldn't require it.
Yes, you're a pleb. I've used drive overlay software for over 8 years on a single machine without ever having problems or even needing to touch it when upgrading OS.

It's really no different than the code in the BIOS.
Read up on shit before trying to be a smartass.

Have you tried FreeDOS?

Your video actually proves the point that it doesn't run it "just fine". Literally the issue we all have with running DOS on a even ten year old "modern" computer is the issue that guy had to begin with, SOUND, without sound there's not much of a point.

>Just add another drive.
Even if I already have all 4 channels busy? Together with a PCI/ISA ATA controller (which will either cost more than a SATA dedicated PCI or hog half of the CPU)? Only SATA started offering more than 4 ports, and only SCSI allowed for ludicrous daisy-chaining. And good luck finding a 1 or 2TB IDE drive in reliable conditions with reasonable price so you can get up to the 8TB max. Which is useless, since the max file size would be 2GiB or 4GiB (with LFS) in FAT32.

EFI has legacy mode you retard

FreeDOS isn't retro. It also works only as good as ReactOS on real hardware, currently.

Legacy mode doesn't mean "just fine".

A DOS prompt that runs most software, that's pretty fine, a stock PC/XT or even AT does not do any better.

Are you always trying to shitpost in these threads?

The solution is to bring the past into the future.
Who /computer reactionary/ here

It seems to be working.

>>trusting 3rd party software to do bios job
it injects into the memory where the BIOS stores it information about the drive
it's just like using a newer BIOS on a older machine, without actually changing the chip or flashing a new one

there is no 3rd party, the BIOS got the software implanted from somewhere too

How much do you guys spend on your old hardware?

oh no no no I was posting that to show him that it doesn't work

Not a problem anymore!

youtube.com/watch?v=iPVqAvgGbWo

Weren't you guys here in the last thread? It's literary last thread all over again.

>implying there can be anyone new in these threads

>sound through LPT
lololololol
I can have far better sound with far cheaper components
youtu.be/hy66pEc63XE

>>sound through LPT
LPT is just a 8-bit data bus. You can hook anything up with it that works on a 8-bit ISA slot also if you know how.

>I can have far better sound with far cheaper components
One is a OPL FM synth.
The other is a 8-bit digital sound DAC.

i havent really heard about anything else using the lpt connector than printers. usually theres even a printer logo on the connector.

>anything else using the lpt connector than printers
Didn't you just post the Covox?

Also...
How about Scanners?
How about ZIP drives?
How about Floppy drives?
How about CD/Optical drives?
How about RJ45 Ethernet adapters?
How about other DSP and DAC related devices?

>usually there's even a printer logo on the connector.
Because people are dumb and printers are the main use by dumb people for that connector.

It's just like the serial port, the difference being it's paralel instead of serial. It's general purpose just as serial.

you realise most modern hardware does not have a parallel port right? laptops barely have more than a couple USB ports as it is.

not really the point, point was modern computers, not cherry picking computers without parallel ports

I just have what I had years back.

>nfw there's no cool startup soumds anymore

NT or 9x?

Depends entirely what hardware and what you're planning to do.

Is there any reason for NT?
Also, is it worth of trying OS/2?

>Is there any reason for NT?
Depends entirely what hardware you have and what you plan to run.
If you have hardware that does not support Win9x, than yes.
If you plan on running games or software that do not support Win9x, than yes.

>Also, is it worth of trying OS/2?
Depends entirely what hardware you have and what you plan to run.
Yes it's worth it, if you have compatible hardware and want Win16/DOS compatibility in a nice shell.

You're like asking us what car you should buy without telling us why you need it, where you drive with it and how much you're willing to pay for it and pay for it's maintenance.

Do people use here their old hardware aside of games?