Firefox shit the bed

im confused Sup Forums, just opened firefox after turning my pc on today and it had signed me out of my mozilla botnet account and reset the browser to stock settings, removing all my addons, sessions/cookies, pinned tabs, etc. even after signing in i have to re-set all my flags, redo my addon settings, and reinstall all my userscripts and themes
there wasnt even an update, it just did this at random for no apparent reason

i thought firefox 57 was supposed to be good? how can i make this not happen again? i was quite liking this browser but this is unacceptable.
alternatively are there any decent chromium-based browsers that allow me to sign into my botnet accounts (i know iridium doesnt)

Other urls found in this thread:

mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/organizations/all/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

yeah, check if your old profile is still there.
firefox has a tendency to do this sometimes so next time back up your profile

Use ESR
mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/organizations/all/

browser sync accounts are an example of creepy evil tech that shouldn't exist. god is punishing you

thanks, my old profile is there, how do i restore it fully?
i tried changing the default in the .ini and my pinned tabs and settings are back but my bookmarks and extensions arent. i assume if i just do a sync it wont properly restore my addon settings and userscripts etc like when signing into a new profile

>firefox has a tendency to do this
what the fuck type of browser is this where this is a problem?

>firefox has a tendency to do this

I have been using firefox for over a decade and that never happened to me.

Just restore from backup

enlighten me, what is a better way to achieve similar results?
i have 2 android devices, a linux device, and a desktop with a windows/linux dual boot and need access to my bookmarks and addons on most of them. its completely impractical to go to every device and manually add a bookmark or addon every time i make a change on one of them.
as much as i like privacy im a pragmatist and havent found any way of achieving the results i need other than using syncing botnet accounts

how? i cant find any such feature in firefox
i didnt back up my profile manually because i didnt expect firefox to have such a retarded problem. chromium doesnt do this

Close Firefox.
Go to run and type: firefox.exe /p

It will start up in the profile browser and you can select your profile.

the only one that appears is 'default'
my other profile is there in the firefox profiles folder but i think it is also called default, i never named my profile and they both end with .default

Oh it really shat the bed then.

I must admit, I know you can recover it by copying files, but I've not done so in a while, so you may as well google it.

Sorry mate. Before you proceed, copy all the profile folders somewhere as a backup.

>i didnt back up my profile manually because i didnt expect firefox to have such a retarded problem
Always assume the worst and prepare accordingly

thanks for trying to help at least.
ive managed to recover my settings/flags and pinned tabs by changing the default profile to my old folder in the .ini but looks like im going to have to re-do all my addon settings and re-find all my themes and userscripts

good advice

mobile devices are also evil
bookmarks should only be kept in a manually edited external html file
most of your addons are not needed
important addon data can be manually copied between browser profiles at the start of a session

ok stallman that sounds pretty impractical, id rather have my privacy invaded than manualy sync my browsers on every device every time i use a different one

Should I use waterfox or nightly?
Firefox is currently going full "Fuck your RAM" and I'm kinda sick of it

What's RAM for if not to use it?

I'm on Nightly and it works for me :)

>What's RAM for if not to use it?
I'd say that if it's slowly memory leaking until it finally crashes isn't a good thing.
After a few hours with a normal sessions (one window with 15-30 tabs) it reaches like 5-6GB

I've honestly never seen that, but I've heard enough people talk about it to know it's happening.

I've had this window up for 5 hours.

This never happened to me in my 10+ years of using firefox OP. You cant just login with your botnet mozilla account and it restores everything by itself? Worst thing that ever happened to me is Sup Forums cookies resetting which is really fucking annoying.

Only a fool would choose convenience over privacy.

>firefox has a tendency to do this sometimes
In what universe? I've literally never heard of this happening in my life.
The closest thing would be addons being removed for being incompatible with a new version, but I've never had it clear out my tabs or delete my cookies and history.

i couldn't tell you why; nor do i particularly care.
it's either reverted to some kinda default profile or even completely corrupted my profile on more than one occasion though.
either way it's still the only browser that i find remotely usable though.

well it just happened to me, so this universe