/pcbg/ - PC Building General

I saw far too many random PC building question threads flooding the board, so I'm opening this thread since the usual guy is late.

>Assemble a part list
pcpartpicker.com/
>Example gaming builds and _monitor_ suggestions; click on the blue title to see notes
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/
>Learn how to build a PC (You can find a lot more detailed videos on channels like Bitwit)
youtube.com/watch?v=69WFt6_dF8g
>How to install Win7 on Ryzen
pastebin.com/TUZvnmy1

If you want help:
>State the budget & CURRENCY for your build
>List your uses, e.g. Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, include purpose (e.g., photoediting, gaming) and graphics card pairing (if applicable)

CPUs:
>NO i5 7500/7600K or i7 7700/K. THEY ARE DEFUNCT AND SUPERSEDED BY COFFEE LAKE
>G4560/G4600 - non-gaming (light tasks) or bare minimum gaming builds with a dedicated graphics card
>R3 1200 - Budget builds (best with OC + fast RAM)
>R5 1600 / i5 8400 - Great gaming (especially the i5 8400) or multithreaded use CPUs (especially the R5 1600)
>R7 / Used Xeon / Threadripper / i7 - Heavy Multi-Tasking / VM Work / Mixed use

RAM:
>Current CPUs benefit from high speed RAM; 3000-3200 MHz is ideal
>Before buying RAM for Ryzen, check your Mobo's QVL or look for user reports

Graphics cards:
>Consider Vega 56 for a Freesync monitor
>Crypto-Currency miners have driven GPU prices up (particularly Radeon)
1080p
>MSRP of standard 1080p cards: 1050Ti, 140USD; 1060 3GB, $200; 1060 6GB, $230; RX 570 4GB, $170; RX 580 4GB, $200
>GTX 1070 if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
1440p
>GTX 1070/Ti and 1080 are standard choices; currently overpriced
>GTX 1080Ti if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
2160p (4K)
>GTX 1080Ti

General:
>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING
>A 240GB or larger SSD is almost mandatory; consider m.2 form factor

Previous:

Other urls found in this thread:

au.pcpartpicker.com/list/nQv7D8
lg.com/us/monitors/lg-29UM69G-B-ultrawide-monitor
amazon.com/VIOTEK-GN27D-Gaming-Curved-Monitor/dp/B078P57ZWL/ref=sr_1_5?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1516033265&sr=1-5&keywords=27" 144hz 1440p
amazon.com/Dell-Gaming-S2716DG-LED-Lit-Monitor/dp/B0149QBOF0/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1501166224&sr=1-2&keywords=27" 144hz 1440p
justpark.com/creative/reaction-time-test/
amazon.com/dp/B06XSQ5QN8/?tag=pcpapi-20
uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/wbtym8
youtu.be/kSCVahyh3Dk
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

led related question.
I have a MSI B350 Tomahawk mobo and i plan to buy
3 CoolerMaster MasterFan Pro 120 Air Balance RGB 120mm
and 2 Cooler Master Universal LED Strip RGB.
Do i need to buy a controller or can i connect them directly to the mobo
and have the leds work since it is listed in the supported mobo list.
First time buying anything led related and i'm pretty much clueless on them.

I wanted a small-ish 1440p monitor and impulse bought a 144Hz TN display with Freesync, but I'm kinda getting buyers remorse because TN.
I can also now sell it and get a Dell U2515H for cheaper, which is a 1440p IPS but I'm kinda scared of muh input lag. Should I?

hay guys, pls tell me how retarded i am being with this build:
au.pcpartpicker.com/list/nQv7D8

will be using this monitor (1080p ultrawide 75hz):
lg.com/us/monitors/lg-29UM69G-B-ultrawide-monitor

How would one go about acquiring an aftermarket Vega 56?

Input lag is a meme. Human reaction time doesn't get much faster than 250ms.

god damn, i knew gpu pricing was horrible but fuck, checking the prices again is just fucking disappointing. the 1050/ti's are getting affected now too

>built my friend a pc out some spare parts I had
>tfw hear about the meltdown and spectre bugs
What's the likelihood of him getting hit by a spectre based attack? Because the cpu is an i5 3470 and he most likely won't be getting a bios update.

Dude. Your friend could be dead already.

Oh my God....

So I want to upgrade from an i5 2500k and am torn between 8400 and 1600. I have an msi 1070 and use my computer mainly for online shooters, flight sims and rts. I read in OP that 8400 is best for gaming, but 1600 is trying to seduce me... also, is high speed RAM worth it for either CPUs?

What games can I play with ryzen 5 2400g + 16gb 3000mhz ram?
Can you give me a intel counterpart of that?

Wait for the refresh, they'll eliminate some problems the first gens had. Also high speed ram is more worth it on AMD than Intel.

if i have this setup anf a budget of 950 dollars what 27 inch monitor should i get?

I forgot to mention: I use a 144hz monitor.

you won't be able to play anything, ryzen doesn't have integrated graphics

2400g is somewhere near or greater GT 1030.

the R5 2400G is raven ridge, it has an IGP. AMD is replacing all the 4 core chips with RR in the 2000 series.

The 2nd gen cpus are coming in a few months? I was about to buy the 1600x but I guess I'll wait some more. Any idea on pricing performance. The current gen cpus may be more cost-effective.

user it'd pain me if you spent 950 USD on a single display for gaming purposes. i can accept people have different desires on what matters most to them so I'll drop some suggestions. if it matters at all, I work as a geek squad hardware agent during winter break and we are told consumer reports / reliability outlooks of companies during financial quarters.

oh no i dont need to spend the entire amount its just the max of the budget i will have to buy with if it can get me two with gsync even better

non 144:
https: dash dash www.amazon.com/BenQ-GW2765HT-27-Inch-LED-Lit-Monitor/dp/B00KYCSRSG
looked interesting havent heard any feedback:
amazon.com/VIOTEK-GN27D-Gaming-Curved-Monitor/dp/B078P57ZWL/ref=sr_1_5?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1516033265&sr=1-5&keywords=27" 144hz 1440p
had some special attention during our presentation for general usability w/mounting and most clients get nvidia cards.:
amazon.com/Dell-Gaming-S2716DG-LED-Lit-Monitor/dp/B0149QBOF0/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1501166224&sr=1-2&keywords=27" 144hz 1440p

i'd personally go with one of the benq's since 144 isn't too important to me. assuming it is the dell panels are blatantly rip offs but offer some merit in reliability/customer service as opposed to asus gook people.

>performance
+~5-20% of the current models. Probably around 10-15%
>pricing
like the original ryzen prices i assume, i doubt they'll go as low for the new gen as the recent price cuts. But they might. Apparently a zen die+packaging for AM4 costs them less than 30 bucks so they might go for volume to increase their market share

the next gen will still be am4 socket, right?

all consumer chips till 2020 will use the AM4 socket and be supported by current mainboards after BIOS/UEFI updates. The chips are SoCs, so no chipset is required. They really have no reason to change the socket until DDR5/PCIe 4.0 comes around.

that one in the middle with the VA panel seems like a better version of the pixio ones i was looking at before they went out of stock at amazon

ok cool, i'm buying my mobo tomorrow because it's 20% off, also getting a 1070ti at non ass raping inflation prices. don't know if i'll be able to hold off on buying a cpu though. i'll look into the next gen chips

if you need it now you can't really wait, can you? If you're not using that system until april (which is when the next ryzen generation will hit the market) you might as well wait for ampere cards too instead of buying a 1070Ti now.

I've bought 2 no-name monitors and they've both had to be discarded due to chinkness / incompatibility with anything that isn't w7/10.
Its absolute bullshit, unless it is booted from a windows device and the display isn't changed / disconnected, ajgoisajgioajdoigajs nevermind.
Not to talk down on the second interesting monitor I linked, but do yourself a favor and buy the most american looking brand possible so at least behind the gook conglamorates a 28 year old with an MBA may be able to give you a refund.

Do you mean refresh rate? Input lag is decent at ~13ms, which is middle of the pack performance.
In any case, refresh rate shouldn't be an issue when it ranges 6-12ms, since it's a 60hz panel you have around 16ms to work with.

Does the Ryzen APU works better with dual channels just like the A series?

>Refresh rate
Fuck, meant response time

didn't know there were new cards coming out, but i doubt they will be that much of a step up from the 10xx range, plus they will most likely still be price gouging the shit out of them, right? i probably could wait that long, ive waited over a year already, but ive gotten all excited about this new build.

do I wait to see how the whole spectre/meltdown thing works out or just bite the bullet on an 8700k when my taxes come back? Dont care about anything but gaming and future proofing. Currently have a gtx1080 to pair with is, everything else in the build will be replaced (do I need to replace the power supply after 6 years?)

>a quarter of a second reaction times
Lol

i mean, 970s and 980s are still fetching decent prices, even second hand ones.

get a ryzen, and yeah, replace your PSU

i doubt they'll get more expensive than the current once.

The Titan V is $3,000. That's like 250% the price of the Titan Xp. Expect the 1180 Ti or 2080 Ti or whatever to cost over $1,000 MSRP.

The human being's average reaction time is actually .28 seconds.

justpark.com/creative/reaction-time-test/

And before you spout some shit about "but the monitor makes it worse!", show me what fucking servers you're playing competitive games on that give less than 5 times the latency of any modern monitor.

I would very much like to get a ryzen after intel has been so lazy with upgrades that my 3570k really has been hanging in there. But I was playing some battlefield 1 yesterday and it just isnt cutting it anymore. Thing is though ive looked at ryzen benchmarks and theyre just unimpressive for gaming, and this is for my home PC not work. The extra cores could come in handy when ive got 3 datavases and 20 excel sheets open at work, but at home ive got 5 chrome tabs, discord, and a game running. Since ive already got a graphics card I want to grab the most future proof gaming cpu I can and im willing to spend bigger than my last build. Looking back and the difference between my 3570k and the 3770k at the time was small, but today it would be the difference in being able to hold out another year.

Ryzen just doesnt seem to be any better at games past the 1700x, core count goes up so multi tasking and all that gets better but no improvement to games.

The monitor makes it worse

the titan V is volta, uses 4 HBM stacs, has a fuckhuge die with most likely absymal yields and is marketed as a semiprofessional halo product. Not at all comparable to the upcoming pascal mid range/high end cards.

There's only one rgb header on that board, so you'll have to buy a controller.

Hey, know-nothing schmuck who built his PC using a spreadsheet here

I'm upgrading my processor, how do I ensure the new one is compatible with my mobo? is that even a real concern? Pic related, it's my mobo (gigabyte GA-Z87X-D3H)

>I'm opening this thread
Thanks. I figured I'd let someone else do it

For any kind of comp gaming stick with the 144Hz. You can get a better 144Hz panel called VA, but it will be expensive

Get 2x 8GB RAM

Zero

Fast RAM is worth it for either one
Check benchmarks for the games you play most
To get the most out of your monitor you'd probably want the i5 but the R5 is good too

Any game, but you'd have to accept greatly reduced settings (or resolution) in anything graphically intensive
There is no Intel equivalent
If you're going that route, get 8GB RAM

The 1440p VA panel in the OP pcpartpicker, or wait for the HDR10 Gsync monitors coming out soon

GTFO.

Ryzen+ won't be much better

Yes, of course

Next Nvidia cards will be a huge bump over current gen, but pricing may also be significantly higher

Don't worry about the security flaws

all haswell and broadwell chips work on LGA1150 boards. Unless you got an i3/pentium it's not really worth it to stick to anything else from that platform.

>Get 2x 8GB RAM
is it worth an extra $15 to get 2x8 over the 1x16? only reason im going 1x16 is because its 20% off.

is twice the bandwidth worth it? I don't know user, you tell me. Maybe you can get away with an USB drive instead of an SSD too.

Dual channel RAM has better performance.

sorry to be obtuse, is this saying
>anything else that is compatible with your board isn't really going to be worth the "upgrade" unless you're running some ancient shit
or
>you don't need to worry about compatibility unless you were running some ancient shit, upgrade without hesitation

Go to the manufacturer's website and look at the spec sheet. It'll tell you all compatible CPUs
Basically the only worthwhile upgrade will be a Haswell i7

ok so im looking at the samsung monitor in the OP and i go to watch the video to try to clarify if the stand can turn the monitor on its side and i see this in the video how can i let samsung know about this so they can fix it

i may be wrong, hell i expect to be, but in the mobo specifications, it lists dual channel ram under the 7th generation a series/athalon processors, but not under the ryzen processors.

got it, thanks, found the table of supported CPUs based on your info.

... which monitor?

anything that is compatible with your board isn't really enough of an upgrade to warrant paying for it unless you're running something worse than an i5.

appreciate the help user

this one

amazon.com/dp/B06XSQ5QN8/?tag=pcpapi-20

Yeah that can rotate 90 degrees
was that your question?

>AMD Ryzen 5 1600X, 6x 3.6GHz
>ASUS PRIME X370-Pro
>NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
>G.Skill Flare X DIMM Kit 16GB, DDR4-3200, CL14-14-14-34

no look at my shot in the post the video on the page has a glaring typo and im trying to figure out how to let Samsung/amazon know

get a b350

oh, the typo
contacting Samsung is pretty much impossible, all you'll reach are pajeets from India. That's not even a meme, it's real.
There's been that thread on overclockers forum with like 300 pages trying to contact samsung about a monitor flaw and nobody made it through the pajeets.

plus they really won't give a single fuck about it

Technically, lower network latency means that the difference added by the monitor is relatively larger, so it's more noticeable. Id est, with 200ms (server on the opposite side of the country), 20ms added by the monitor are just 10% more, but with 20ms (server around your metropolitan area), 20ms added by the same monitor are literally doubling the lag.

BUT, unless it's a TV (300ms ±150ms or worse) and not a purpose-built monitor (from 3ms to 20ms, but usually ±0ms), the added input lag is still ways to go from your natural imprecision in response time (250ms ±150ms).

So can i use the rgb header for the led strip and use the controller for the rgb fans? there's a 3x fan + controller pack since they're both coolermaster can i connect the led strip into the fan's controller?
The package is called CoolerMaster MasterFan Pro 120 Air Balance RGB 3in1 (Pack) 120mm

uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/wbtym8

How does this look for a 1080p build? I'll upgrade and get more RAM if/when the prices drop.

Looks good but getting a bit stronger psu might be a good idea

>built pc in 2013 while living in northern ontario
>my options were get fucked by shipping or take the random mishmash of parts a local store had resulting in pic related
>going back to school now for better job, going to be getting some money
>pc is having issues as the GPU isn't holding up well and I need a new SSD
>Price range is 1000-1400 CAD
>pc would be used for gaming and Autocad

Could a kind user help me out?
I don't have the money for an amazing monitor fyi, would probably just resume 1080p gaming

that's pretty much the standard 1000$ system you see in every thread. R5 1600 (maybe wait for new ryzen CPUs in april), whatever decent B350 boards, 2x8GB RAM kits, PSU and GTX 1060 are in stock at your vendor. SSD of your choice. Maybe you can reuse the tower and the HDD.

Thanks user, as a note my case is a HAF 912 in pretty good shape, and the power supply is a Corsair TX750 (I had some shitty chinese power supply but it got a really bad coil whine so I bit the bullet and mail ordered a much more expensive power supply)

ryzen 1300x, i7 3770 or i5 3470 for a budget gaming rig? Mean to pair it with either a 1060-3gb or a used 970.

Ryzen since you can repurpose the board for future Ryzens.

Thought so too, thing is ddr4 ram is very prohibitive right now. Definitely the wiser choice tho.

those GPU prices in the OP are hilariously out of date.

I'm looking for a single slot gpu that has the ability to drive a 4k screen and a 1080p screen at 60fps. No games or anything other than maybe occasionally csgo or dota, that's the only requirement. Would I be able to get away with something like a 4000 series or similar? Any suggestions on the cheapest used/new card I could go with?

I'm going to make a PC in a few months. I'll spend about £700 - 900 to make it (that is without a monitor/Keyboard/Mouse because I already have them).
I want my PC to be able to last me a long time and I want it to be able to play WoW quite easily (60fps all the time/most of the time). I don't really care too much about the graphics as long as I can play it.

You guys know a lot more about this shit than me, so I was hoping you could put together a PC on Pcpartpicker for me and link me what you think would be suitable with that budget. If you go overbudget, I won't mind so much as long as you could explain why it would be worth it. Thank you.

Or, if you already have a custom PC that you play WoW on, maybe you could link me that on Pcpartpicker and tell me how you find it. Anything will help at the moment.
Thanks a lot.

each time i see this thread there is something wrong with op's pic rel
what it ius this time anons ? it triggers me

also a nice and cheap pc monitor with good colours that won't strain eyes would be good
no not for gayming

I'd say a 7850.

You can keep both of those. If you have a HDD you can reuse you save about 200 bucks with those.

Do it yourself, ask for improvements. Also new CPUs and GPUs will be out in a few months and prices of current stuff will change so why ask now?

Thanks, I'll look into it. Been looking at old firepros, something like a v4800 should in theory work but we'll have to see. Thanks user

I have no idea about that shit, I could make it myself sure but I wouldn't know what any of the things are. I'll bet it would need an entire redo.

There are few single slot GTX 1050 cards and most GT 1030 cards are single slot, both of which are perfectly fine for dota and csgo and can handle 4k + 1080p displays without an issue, although video games wont run very well at 4k

daily reminder you can build your own shitposting/facebook/netflix machine for less than $200

Repasting my Msi Gaming X 480. Msi sure is pro with their paste.

You can get a cheap used Dell or HP office PC for less than that even.

yeah but then its going to be within a shitty fucking custom form factor thats a pain in the ass to open up and work in

i literally built my mom a new pc cause she had one of those with a million screws or rivets in places.

Is this supossed to be sarcasm?
>t.pc building noob

If I buy all the parts for my PC how do I even find someone to put that shit together? I don't know how to assemble a PC.

also ive already used that FB1 case for that bulid and even tho theres no cable management in the back you can slot the cables from the top PSU thru the the DVD bay which nobody uses and route it down thru the front panel (you have to remove it first tho) then just bunch up remaining PSU cables inside that same DVD bay

Just watch a few videos about it and carefully read the instructions, it's not hard.

just watch a youtube video, its super easy

Alright lads. Now I just need to actually figure out what I need to actually make the PC I want.

use pcpartpicker

whats your budget and what are you gaming or not

youtu.be/kSCVahyh3Dk
Yes is sarcasm. Msi being retarded with paste is a long-standing meme