I've been waiting YEARS for a half decent android tablet to come out. But it never happened

I've been waiting YEARS for a half decent android tablet to come out. But it never happened.
So I bought an iPad and it works great. I'm honestly impressed at how good it is for $300, I don't normally like apple products but this one is a winner outside of some iOS gotchas that I was willing to live with.
Where did google go wrong? The only decent android tab was the Nexus 7, and that's outdated now. 99% of the android tabs are chinese trash with shitty displays, and the good ones are lucky to receive updates even a year out.

Other urls found in this thread:

itunes.apple.com/us/app/the-chan
youtube.com/watch?v=Wv_O2IDKDY4
archive.rebeccablacktech.com/g/search/image/z-AKUCW9z3QIuaU6QRbRHg/
archive.rebeccablacktech.com/g/search/image/_glUELz4vv9hjRZ8x1cIKg/
archive.rebeccablacktech.com/g/search/image/VNbuaDIfThMAlAASqaI0Kw/
archive.rebeccablacktech.com/g/search/image/epKkMUP2mAJphUDLwAIY4w/
archive.rebeccablacktech.com/g/search/image/llF-zz9URlbvsF7nE4mG0w/
archive.rebeccablacktech.com/g/search/image/LDMvhb3n444ISJRI9u7YZQ/
archive.rebeccablacktech.com/g/search/image/uskkuBo91wIlsRF2wxGiLg
archive.rebeccablacktech.com/g/search/image/cqSr-2OIIrWCcTMw_U-HEw/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

nexus 7 2013 was the best one. probably too small for most folks, but it was solid hardware with a solid performance. passed mine down to my kids.

What do you even need a tablet for? They're practically useless if you have a smartphone. The only use case I can think of is to use it for drawing, but only the newest iPad Pro is good for that I believe, and it's almost $1000

I use it as a media consumption device for the most part. The screen is pretty nice and the battery life is far far better than any laptop I've used.
It's also excellent for viewing product manuals or instructions and reading news articles and other stuff like that.
Phones are just too small to do those things comfortably for any extended period of time, plus having a second device means I'm not burning off my phone battery on stupid shit.

you missed out on the nokia n1 tablet. samsung also has good tablets, particularly from 2014.

>$300
Here it starts at 409€ and thus is not worth it.

I use them as learning material and general media storage for university. Dragging my laptop everywhere is tiring if I just plan to go over my lectures or watch some video to clarify, a smartphone is too small for such things. And one of those tiny laptop/tablet abominations is out of question. Too small, too expensive, shit performance.

Yeah, my laptop is kind of a hassle to drag around too when I have textbooks and shit to carry as well. Something to think about I suppose

Well it can run 2 programs, which is better. Not him, but i find them more comfy than regular desktops, web browsing and media consumption work just better, for work it doesnt really matter from what i connect to my server. also it has a good image and text editors

Its comfy. If you want to chill in bed or on the couch with a laptop, you are going to have to have it on your lap, which gets pretty hot, and you have to position yourself in very specific ways. Its also much heavier.

With a light little ipad its just so much comfyer to browse chans or consume media and doing light stuff. Jailbreak it and get fortune on it, and its really fucking comfy.

hope you're using iOS 11. i've had an iPad since the original launched in 2010. iOS 11 is the single biggest iPad update ever. what you can do on iPad now is incredible

Lenovo Tab 4 Plus seems ok

My tablet is a portable scientific paper PDF reader

iPad mini is the master race
>don't need a fuckhuge phone for browsing that doesn't fit in my pocket
>don't strain my eyes
>read, browse, game on it
>$10 case with flap cover that doubles as stand is all you need for peripherals unless you want to mount it
>don't need to pull out laptop or computer to do something online or deal with small screen with browser
Why haven't you purchased the bestPad Sup Forums?

Got any examples of cool stuff I can do on iOS 11? I'm pretty out of the loop on apple stuff.

I plan on jailbreaking once I figure out how so I can get actual file management and a better Sup Forums browser.

Once you get over the need to posture with obscure dated shitty tech to your anonymous neckbeard friends online and take the Apple pill life becomes beautiful, comfy and careless.

Sometimes the normie way really is the best way.

itunes.apple.com/us/app/the-chan

It's great.

I still like android better for phones, and linux better for desktop, but apple wins hands down in the tablet space.

There were lots of good tablets not just android too.
Off the top oif my head blackeberry tablet was great, so where samsung notes, nexus tablets, nokias, and now windows tablets are actually nice.

I got a LG Gpad 3 for $30 from my telco on a 2 year contract for $8 a month for 3gb of data... No complaints about it OTHER than them taking Slimport support out of it(plan was to use it as a Kodi machine, with a external HDD since it has a full size USB port)

Cheap, and does what i need i guess. I hardly use it though, since having a 5" phone on me at all times that does everything i can makes it kinda silly to run in parallel and managing updates and shit.

Why do you prefer android phones? Customisation?

My tablet is primarily an entertainment device. My phone is a utility device and the additional power I get from android isn't something I can live without. Easiest example is music. I have about 500gb of flacs which I automatically compress to ogg and sync to my phone's external sd card with a cronjob on my home server. No way I could do that with an iPhone.

Yeah, that's a fair point. The only thing I listen to on the go are podcasts so I never had that problem.

Apple really does seem to neglect any fringe demands, so if you're not willing to go spotify/apple music/itunes you're basically fucked.

What does "media consumption" even mean? Just say you watch youtube on it, ffs.

Also, in my case the 12.9 inch iPad has been a godsend, and it allows me to visualize my workflow a lot better when I'm in bed, and program the next day. Writing with it in bed kinda sucks if you rely on the smart cover, BUT if you use pic related as I do, it actually becomes pretty good.

As it stands, the iPad is only limited by software, nothing else. And it's mostly the fault of developers. Take Microsoft word for example: It's inexcusable how they don't have a navigation menu that allows you to quickly go through your headlines and sections.

I mostly blame reviewers for shit like this, as they don't inform people of the limitations of iOS/android, and lead many into uninformed purchases. Like, how come not a single reviewer mentions the utter inability of iOS to work with most CMSs? If this shit started being mentioned more often, then developers would feel a bit more pressure to actually create more complete apps, and not just dumbed down versions. But nnooooo, tech reviewers gotta target all the shit they spew towards "media consumers" and wine moms, who somehow find it justifiable top spend 1k in a device they use to save recipes.

Nuke everything.

>What does "media consumption" even mean? Just say you watch youtube on it, ffs.
Maybe he also watches Netflix, the news, listens to music and reads books/articles on it.

Broad terms are useful.

What about Samsungs main tablets? Are thet any good?

I keep thinking about the iPad pro, but even the 64gb + keyboard + pen works out to more than the Surface Pro, which MS frequently has offers on. Which i terms of actual usage i'd probably get more out of...

But i don't need another laptop, i have a pretty good one.

Which do you have, also what app?

is win10 usable in tabletmode these days?

see
My primary use case is watching stuff hosted on my home server but I also read a lot of articles and what not. Easier to say media consumption than explain it.

New dock and multitasking. Drag and Drop.
-new dock activated by short slide up gesture from bottom
-new dock can hold 10+ icons plus lists 3 recently used apps
-new task switcher which is activated by longer drag up gesture from bottom
-new task switcher (which shares command center screen) lists all active apps as tiles instead of cards. much cleaner and simpler presentation
-using both dock and task switcher you can: drag an app from dock to active app to split screen app, drag app from dock to your current app to either split screen or to add it as a popup side bar
-persistent picture in picture video playback (from ios10)
-elements on pages (images, links, text) are objects which can be dragged and dropped across the UI. (ex drag a nice drawing of your waifu from a Sup Forums thread in safari down to the dock and files app and save it to icloud desktop so you can save it in your waifu folder on your mac)
-The Files app aggregates access to iCloud documents, Dropbox, Google drive etc. Has intuitive drag and drop and you can save downloads from Safari and choose specific apps when opening files.

youtube.com/watch?v=Wv_O2IDKDY4

*also not mentioned in vid but when you're in the task switcher you can close an app by doing a swipe up/toss up gesture on the app card (don't need to hold and click x)

What'd you use, Kodi, Plex, VLC?

emby for now, but I'll probably sideload kodi at some point so I can use my nfs shares.

i use plex on mine (my plex server also serves a couple roku's and chromecasts throughout the house). it just works (right from safari too, don't need the plex app)

>get actual file management

LOL. as if that means anything.

>MUH MEDIA CONSUMPTION DEVICE

Kys faglet scum.

theyre mine textbook reader
I only use oned with oled tho

i'm thinking about buying a mac mini. i have a cuckbox one to play games on so i only really need a shit posting machine.

>Days since last release
>1187
>Oct 2014

if you only need to shitpost you might as well get a cheap thinclient and put loonix on there

Can Ipads run to apps next to each other or is it some special android only feature? Im looking to buy an Ipad as well

I loved mine, kinda regret selling it.

iPad Pros can, but I don't have one so I don't know the details

>being this assblasted by someone else's choice in consumer electronics
You can as long as the apps support it.

I bought the 9.7 iPad pro for media consumption. Can't beat a 120hz 1440p-ish screen. Half the time I just leave it on a stand at my girl's.

Congratulations macfags, your iTunes gift cards have been sent successfully. Please verify your pajeetness

[email protected]

I really want to get the Surface Book 2 15 inch. Its powerful enough for light gaming with its 1060 gpu. But I can also detach the screen from the laptop and use it as a tablet. It also is pretty good at cooling since the CPU is in the screen and the GPU is in the keyboard portion.

Surfaces are stupidly expensive and not that great

i have a 2012 which i upgraded by replacing hdd with a spare 180gb intel 330 ssd i had and 16gb of low latency ddr3 ram ($80 about 2 years ago). perfectly fine everyday machine, driving two displays (1440p and 1080p), even with high sierra. if you're in the market for one, make sure you either buy a newer model with 8gb or 16gb of ram (since 2013 & 2014 and newer are not upgradeable) or get a 2012. in either case put in an ssd. i would not recommend a 2011 since they only come with usb2 and anything older is core 2 shit.

Honestly having owned the regular iPad for a few months now, I'm really considering the pro. iOS has improved a lot since the last time I used it circa 2012. I draw a lot but my current setup is a huion h1060 I lug around with my laptop.
The pencil charge design is fucking stupid though.

I'm an applefag but the Galaxy Tabs are sweet. My wife still rocks 1st gen and it's still fast as fuck.

not just iPad pro, iPad Air 2 and iPad 2016 & 2017 with iOS11 support split screen mode (in addition to side bar popup apps)

At least it's not as stupid as the mouse charge design. Close, but still not as bad.

Can you briefly explain how you achieve this, syncing your phone's music to your server at home?

I'm about to switch from an iPhone to Android and I'd really like to know how to do this. I guess I would need a server first...

yes you can you dumb mong many off the shelf nas support itunes libraries and you can automatically sync your iphone off of these as well with very little effort. fuck even without a nas you can setup itunes on a mac to accomplish the same fucking thing (scripted conversion of flacs in your download folder to apple lossless in your itunes library). and you can sync completely wirelessly without having to fumble around like a autistic poorfag with a SD card.god your fucking stupid.

I have a cronjob on my linux server that runs a python script that walks the music directory every night and compresses them to vorbis q5 in a seperate folder mirroring the same directory structure.
I then use syncthing to keep that folder synchronized to my phone.
I don't own a mac. All my computers and my server run linux. Plus, even compressed, my music library is over 90gb so I'd need external storage anyway which apple doesn't have on the iphone or ipad. Before you say streaming, I'm frequently without data or internet for weeks at a time. That's why I have so much music in the first place.

you don't need a mac you dumb nigger. itunes runs on windows and a compatible solution is likely available in some flavor of nix. and iPhones and iPads come in 256gb now. moron.

So what do you expect to do with that since you can't do anything with that?

Nice insults user, how's high school going for you?
I don't have a windows computer either and I don't want to fuck with itunes and the only "itunes compatible" stuff is a massive pain in the ass to use. I'm also not gonna spend hundreds of extra dollars just to have enough storage space for my music when the solution I have now works perfectly.

>hurrr the power of android

fucking poorfags lol

dude ad-hominem lmao

dude your the one who started dumb shit by saying shit was impossible on iphone, then when you get shot down you shit out lame excuse after lame excuse. it all boils down to you being a fucking poorfag

alright then, tell me how I can automatically compress my flac library to vorbis and sync it to my phone with absolutely zero user interaction. Can the iphone even play vorbis?

Thinking of getting a magic keyboard and a Ipad. are there any cases that hold both the tab and keyboard?

iPad 9.7 (2017). I use iBooks + iAnnotate. Sometimes I use Mendeley and some Journals apps. Sci-hub is my hero when I'm not connected to the University wi-fi

automation depends on your setup and it's dependent on the type of phone you use in the first place you dumb autist. you can script out shit any number of ways. fuck depending on what tools you are using you can likely even use the same cron job you are using on your nix box. of course this will be different if you are using a windows box to host your library. it's all trivial, and AGAIN not related to the least in what phone you are using.

>vorbis

LOL fucking autist.

Tablet is a meme.

>**automation depends on your (server) setup and it's COMPLETELY INDEPENDENT of the type of phone you use

For future reference to newfags, this is what a shill thread looks like. Apple in particular constantly assaults this place with shills.

honestly just mangareader. reading books is nice too but you can honestly get away with reading pictureless text with a smartphone

dedicated e-ink e-reader is vastly superior and worth it for anyone who reads a decent amount

e-ink is a meme. they are SLOW as fuck, clunky, run shit software. plus they are uni-taskers. also terrible at anything but the most basic functionality. no good webscraping manga readers, limited format compatability, no COLOR pages, terrible refresh rate, etc. e-ink is ONLY worth considering if you have shit eye genetics (i.e. you suffer from eye fatigue easily)

Can you explain how your 500gb is better than Spotify?

because they're in vorbis, obviously

All your points are true except that the e-ink makes it worth it because it reads like actual paper and the uni-tasking is a feature and the fact that it's better for everyone's eyes, not merely people who already have eyesight problems.

It is for actually reading actual books and it does that great.

Reminder to report this iToddler shill for spamming and ban evasion.

archive.rebeccablacktech.com/g/search/image/z-AKUCW9z3QIuaU6QRbRHg/
archive.rebeccablacktech.com/g/search/image/_glUELz4vv9hjRZ8x1cIKg/
archive.rebeccablacktech.com/g/search/image/VNbuaDIfThMAlAASqaI0Kw/
archive.rebeccablacktech.com/g/search/image/epKkMUP2mAJphUDLwAIY4w/
archive.rebeccablacktech.com/g/search/image/llF-zz9URlbvsF7nE4mG0w/
archive.rebeccablacktech.com/g/search/image/LDMvhb3n444ISJRI9u7YZQ/
archive.rebeccablacktech.com/g/search/image/uskkuBo91wIlsRF2wxGiLg
archive.rebeccablacktech.com/g/search/image/cqSr-2OIIrWCcTMw_U-HEw/

You are a retard. An e-reader with e-ink is not a general purpose tablet.
>refresh rate, color, manga
Seriously, go fuck yourself to death please.

because I frequently don't have internet access or cell service. My job brings me out in the middle of nowhere pretty often and I like to go camping and hiking. Also I have a bunch of releases and different versions of albums that aren't on spotify, vinyl rips and japanese special editions and what not.
user I bought an iPad BECAUSE I'm a poorfag. I evaluated all the options in my price range and it was the one that works best for me. That may not be the case for everyone, but the android tablet space is seriously lacking and you'd have to be legitimately retarded to not see that.
I look at my options and pick what's best because I'm a pragmatist, something people on Sup Forums can't seem to get.

start with the greeks you weeb manchild

>pragmatist
A pragmatist would've gotten a Sony Windows tablet or some shit that's infinitely more versatile and not guaranteed to die in one year like iTrash.

I actually agree with an Apple shill thread for once. It's probably only priced low because their tablets have much lower demand compared to their laptop and phone lines. I hope they stay cheap.

My friend still uses an original iPad that he bought when it first came out, I'm pretty impressed that he still manages to get out of it about 7ish hours of battery life for stuff like browsing, checking mail and reading. He uses it every other day according to him. And I thought Apple products deprecate after 5 years and turn into bricks.

Only biggest gripe that I had while playing around with it is that it massively lags browsing some sites. Seems that 256 MB of RAM was too little even for an original tablet.

I looked into windows tablets.
1. there's nothing I need to do on a tablet I can do with windows but can't do with iOS
2. shit battery life.
>guaranteed to die in one year like iTrash.
Okay, seriously? Now you're just grasping at straws. The only electronics I've ever had die within a year have been home theater receivers. The vast majority of all computing hardware I've ever purchased is still in perfectly working order. I think I still have a working 1st gen iPod nano from 2005 or so sitting around somewhere.

Also I can't imagine a $300 windows tablet being anywhere close to usable and decent quality.

ipads last very long actually. my grandma used her ipad 2 for 5 years at least before she upgraded because she had dropped it too often and broke the screen.

they're the perfect normie machines.

This.

I've got a rooted nexus 7 but it might be time to replace it since it constantly misses taps or registers phantom presses while typing, also the battery has gone to complete shit i.e. drops in % even when plugged in.

Less limited and tiny than a phone, more casual and laid-back than a full-fledged laptop.
An iPad is really good for reading books. Laptops and phones aren't.

Tablets are pretty good for casual drawing. Not as cumbersome as a legit laptop + USB drawing pad, certainly not as cumbersome as actual drawing materials (pen/pencil/markers/pastels/crayons/paint/whatthefuckelse + paper).

I'm also thinking buying one of these as well. Does Apple have something Clover for posting on Sup Forums? Thanks

Google Pixel C.
>iPad-class hardware
>good OEM support
>not limited to iPad babby mode software, can actually get shit done on it locally via powerful open source tools like Termux, Ghost Commander, and Syncthing

>Google Pixel C.
Haven't they deprecated that?

Considering the current iPad prices, I bought the Chuwi Hi13 as a possible alternative. It'll take a while to get here, though.

Two family members whose homes are littered with apples ecosystem gave the surface pro 4 a try. The look on their faces when they say oh it's an actual pc. The ipad has made people retarded, both in usability and practically. Cheapest ipad pro is $650 with a pathetic 64gb of storage. Cheapest surface pro is $800 with 128gb and an actual os. Windows isn't great, but even that is better than the toy os that's macos, let alone ios.

Android tablets are the same quality as android phones, it is just that people in poor countries need phones but not tablets so none of them sold.

>force update bricks your surface pro

I speaking as someone who has a Surface Pro 3. It's great to have a full-fledged PC in a tablet form factor. But the keyboard sucks (I'm aware they improved the keyboard for SP4 onwards, but still not great. Different story for Surface Books).

Windows is just janky and not great. "Tablet" app support varies wildly from app to app (e.g. Mendeley has no tablet-style app, so scrolling is desktop-style rather than tablet-style). It's a little too heavy to be comfortable to use handheld - and I'm someone who regularly tries to read papers on my SP3.

The Surface line is this weird in between where it's not great as either a laptop or a tablet. It has its utility, but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone unless they already know its drawbacks.

>"full-fledged PC" (as if that fucking means anything)
>janky
>app experience inconsistent
>cumbersome

meanwhile iPad's just fucking work

notice how it's always a random android user that comes to talk about "pajeetness" in an apple thread.

Seriously speaking, what can't I actually do on an iPad?

I'm tempted to get one as a portable secondary monitor for with my laptop and also as a tablet to draw on. So far the only ones that seem to give that are either actual drawing tablets (tied to a computer) or else the Surface Pro which doesn't give me a laptop with a 1050 ti in it which I have already.

The biggest issue is that only Samsung, Apple and MS seem to have equal top-tier pen support. And well, MS is Windows which is a gamble at best (I've used them before it's very random if it works well). Samsung is too small to use to draw. Apple is perfectly sized.

So what the fuck can't I do with an iPad? I can remote into my desktop right to code?