Home server general - /hsg/

home server general - /hsg/

LKML IS DOWN EDITION

Are you interested in learning Linux administration and configuration better. Becoming a systemd expert? Or maybe you hate that shit and want a cozy little BSD machine to run services on and interact with. Or practice more advanced and complicated networking setups.

>news:
> EVERYTHING IS ON FIRE AAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!! (except raspberry pis, which are safe)
> LKML is hosted on somebodys homeserver!

>chat
> discord.gg/9vZzCYz

Rate my "too poor to buy a rack" stack of equipment, fags. There's another stack of AV and networking gear too.

LOL.

Looks good user, what are you running on those?

I've got a dual socket 771 board coming in the mail with a pair of older xeons, 24gb ddr2, and 4x1tb hard drives. Going to use it to stream music across devices and host some chat services for my friends and I.

Top one is running FreeNAS with 186TB of raw storage.
Bottom one is a R910 with 512GB RAM (preconfigured) running a range of VMs including WSUS, a DC, Ansible, Rocket.Chat, Nextcloud, and full Bitcoin and Monero nodes. I can post the whole list, I just have to find it.

I recognize that rack!

>too poor to buy a rack
lmao poorfag

top fuggen kek

desu i prefer a bunch of old dell optiplex on a table than a ugly server rack
gives me that deus ex underground server feeling

Because I spend all my money on hardware instead - at least i don't have a raspi

Here's my network diagram, sorry for shit quality

A/V and networking. From top down:
Fan, APU2C4 (pfSense), fan, cheap Netgear WAP, cheap Netgear switch, cheap Zoom modem, Blu-ray player, A/V receiver.

Want to get a real switch once I find a good deal on Craigslist or the like.

that's yours faggot

/sqt/ is of no help, so I thought I'd try asking it here.
Is it worth making a raspberry pi as a file server? What would be its downside compared to regular server?

Ethernet would be limited to 100Mbps so it wouldn't be very fast at transferring files over a network, and you'd have to probably attach more SATA ports, but if you can live with those, then it should be fine.

Mid tower case, all drives seagate
1TB - OS/Client Backups/Few Videos
9TB Raid 5 - Data (full)
2TB Raid 1 - Data (1.30TB free)
Server + network gear + server data backup nas units connected to UPS.
12TB Raid 5 NAS - Full image of all data
4TB Raid 0 NAS - 2nd copy of Music/Movie collection as of 1/13/18 (full)
3TB External - Server sys image/2nd copy of X-rated content and E-books.
Nas (s) and External are kept shutdown when not used.

In other words, you'd probably be better off re-purposing an old Optiplex with Gigabit ethernet for about the same price.

Hey, I know this isn't really related to the thread but, does anyone have any particular suggestion for setting up a home network? I've read that modem/router combos are to avoid if possible and to separate each thing. I am about to change ISP and go from ADSL2+ to VDSL2 and I want to build a good home network and even buy new hardware to do so. Any suggestion?

1. always use a separate modem/router/access point
2. run cat6 lines anywhere you need to
3. build your own router using linux
4. get a good managed gigabit switch that has enterprise features (or at least vlans)
5. get a enterprise access point as well

that is all you need for a solid foundation

I wish I had the bandwidth to actually make use of that. It seems a bit overkill. It does sound solid though. Is building a pfSense router expensive?

Is there a good article/books/wiki/reading if I want to start to get into server?

What's the point of even owning a home server

store files. host a website. get remote access to your machines when you're away. have fun tinkering.

I want to use pic related (x68-64 atom with gigabit ethernet, otg usb3.0 and 1/2/4GB ram) with a raid0 usb dock as a file server/torrent seedbox/irc bouncer under debian. Am I on the right track, or are there any better/cheaper alternatives for these purposes? Also, how much ram would I need?

SWAG edition

nope, off the shelf hardware will do and it is highly unlikely you will saturate a gigabit uplink

electricity is too expensive here .
i dont know how you guys do it , running it 24/7 ...you must have a high paying job.

2-4GB would be plenty for that, but your IO is gunna be dogshit

Or, live somewhere you don't have to pay for electricity.

I have a 2tb drive in NAS/HTPC machine running guhnoo linux and i recently purchased another 2tb for backup.

essentially what I want is RAID 1 style mirroring, but in the form of a nightly backup (eg add/delete files fromm the backup drive overnight) so that I don't have to keep the drive powered on constantly.

does such a thing exist?

>still waiting for neetbux

>discord link
Disgusting general

its not really that expensive. i have my desktop on 247 that also does home server stuff when im not home or use other devices

>actually running an entirely separate VM
>for NTP

>Old repurposed gaymen rig
>FX-8350 and 16GB DDR3 running CentOS
>hosts a website, SMTP, Jenkins, SSH/SFTP
>VNC through SSH tunnel
>nearly four TB of storage, use it to store media and other files, also as backup destination for several other computers
>backup all storage to external USB with rsync

Ubiquiti Edgerouter X and UAP-AC-LITE along with some cheap Netgear "just werx" switches handle the actual networking.

rsync -ax --delete /pathto/source/ /pathto/destination

Add it as a cron task or systemd unit and timer to run as frequently as you want.

To clarify, the SMTP server is just for notifications from various network devices and services

>not running ntp on a rpi with gps module hooked up with serial and 1PPS GPIO for autismo quality time

get a cheap wired only modem if you can, otherwise the cheapest modem you can, disable wifi and bridge it to your real router.

If you're not gonna go full autism route and build your own router at least get one with OpenWRT/AdvancedTomato firmware support. Asus routers are normally very good but there's plenty of other options too.

Never get a modem/router all in one, they don't support shit even if the plain router version does.

What do you use Jenkins for?

I rent an apartment with my brother and he's a Java developer for a (((startup))).

this

would attach pic but lazy - why is finding a half height yet decent depth rack so hard to find for under ~$300?

Anyone else wants a rack with a bunch of shit in it because it looks comfy?

Even you your router/switch setups look comfy

Running Gentoo on an ODROID-HC1 and couldn't have been happier.

NAS/Torrents/passwords/webserver/TT-RSS/Photos/Music/eBooks/Calendar/Syncthing

Eats less than 10W, come at me. Surprisingly fast.

what's a thing to do with a 10 year old consumer grade dell?

Is there a reason I should baremetal esxi vs 2016 datacenter in a single host environment?
vmotion sounds cool but not that cool $$