/spg/ - Smartphone General

Stallmanu Edition

If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget and size.

Good resources:
>Reviews, specs, comparisons
gsmarena.com
phonearena.com
kimovil.com

>Frequency checker
willmyphonework.net
frequencycheck.com

>Chinkphone news
gizchina.com
gizmochina.com

>Recommended Chinkphones
pastebin.com/eMtwGjJX (embed) (embed)

>Post a mini-review of your phone
>Discuss upcoming and current models
>Ask for help related to phones
>Tell us how much shekels you spent on good/bad phone
>PRAISE THE CHINKPHONES
>Mobile World Congress 2018 starts February 26th

Previous thread:

looking for a budget 5" phone.
Would prefer to buy it from amazon(.de) so most chinkphones drop out.

going to get an unlocked samsung galaxy s7 edge or a google pixel. pixel is only 30 bucks more but i think i like the samsung galaxy more because bigger battery and slighty bigger screen but would love some opinions of both from owners.

Moto E4

Why everyone is avoiding Treble? When I can expect to get android 8.0 phone out of the box??

htc one m8

Oof Sprint tells me that they don't have the Sim for my phone (Moto x4) but on the website it says they do and can be activated by them reee I hate being helped my retailers and not an actual technician

You already can. The XZ1 and XZ1 Compact have oreo out of the box.

Daily reminder to not buy Huawei phones outside of Europe and chinkland otherwise you'll never get updates ever again.

Upgrading from my LG V10 pretty soon. Should I go for a OP5T w/ 8GB ram if the camera quality and battery life is better enough to warrant an upgrade?

Nokia 5, bq aquaris x5 plus, bq aquaris x, xperia x, huawei nova

Poorfag here thinking of switching over to cricket. What is the best sub $200 I can get?

Will there be a ZUK Z3? Snapdragon 835 and the rest of the basic specs for $200 ish? Man that'd be good.

Because getting BTFO'd by being forced to run pure AOSP and making custom ROMs potentially easier as part of the Android certification process is something they want to avoid for as long as possible.

I use the iPhone because if you have a smartphone whatsoever, you are automatically part of an inescapable botnet.
>So I mightaswell be a contrarian

Lenovo discontinued the Zuk line.

I like the leeco le pro 3 but the only thing that turns me off is no headphone jack. Is there anything similar for the price?

I bought a Galaxy S8, removed as much of the bloat as I could and now have a great device. What are some cool things I can do with this?

pic related is ded, what are you guys using?

same as the rest desu

I've got a shitty little LG K4 (2017) because I'm a poorfag studentfag, but I have no idea how to get rid of the bloat on this thing. Apparently there's no working root for this thing, so what are my other options? Also trying to de-google my life as much as possible, already got set up with Protonmail for my emaills and pcloud for cloud storage, but I don't know what else I should do.

i'm a poorfag studentfag and i just buy used flagships form the previous year.

iYTBP Vanced.

Did you try Kingroot? It's a Chinese app which provides a temp root

won't let me sign in

hey boiis, should I buy an used iPhone 6 from a friend (and eventually replace the battery with apple's program) or a new snapdragon 625 device?, I've been using a shit tier nokia 535 since my piece of shit LG g4 failed and I'm desperate now, I like both android and iOS but I honestly can't tell if the 6 is just too old now by iphone standards.

you'd be better off with something like an S7

I really like the hardware of the s7 but I fucking hate the samsung skin and the short support that usually comes with a samsung phone in terms of android updates.

how good are Xiaomi phones in terms of getting updates?

The Global Development ROMs get an update every week. As for actual Android updates, they get the usual 2 year treatment.

Kingroot has been mega malware for over a year.

Probably a used 2016 flagship locked to att.

Anyone going to Mobile World Conference?

>Would prefer to buy it from amazon(.de)
gross

Is there a privacy/security/battery life equivalent to old flip phones, preferably with a better camera?

Has de problem with the v30's screen been resolved?

Did Sony win with the Xperia XA2

so why not Android?

The Samsung skin sucks, but all Androids have short support cycles. Google just recently announced their pixel line would have *3 years* worth of updates, including OS's, instead of the usual 2 years of updates.

best qr reader for Android?
best TOTP?
best terminal?

hey bros, looking for some advice here:
I'm looking to buy a new mid range phone for around $450-600 (I live in australia).
I asked some knowledgable friends for advice, and did some research on my own and narrowed it down to OPPO R11, OPPO R9, and Samsung Galaxy s7. After some more thinking I've more or less decided on the R11, but I'm having some doubts after reading a number of people shitting on it (calling it a shitty rip off of OnePlus 5, but from what I understand the OnePlus 5 is more expensive?)

Basically, if the OPPO r11 is a bad purchase, can someone give me an alternative in the same price range?

I just read the iPhone SE 2 will probably have a phablet 6.1" screen instead of the 4" version. I a little pissed off at Apple now. Not that they had a great year in 2017 or anything, but this is just making it all worse. What the fuck are they doing? I wish Samsung still made the Galaxy Minis.

Out of curiosity and assuming you're a current iPhone SE user, how are current iPhones/iOS (barring the 3 years of design recycling)?

I'm contemplating dipping my feet into iOS.

I am that guy. I don't know. I have been using a Galaxy Edge Note 1 for a couple years. I just kind'a want to get back on iOS. Android is fine and all, but everyone I know is on iOS so I want the benefits of Find Friends and iMessage and such. Also, I just really hate these fat screens that can't be smoothly operated with 1 hand.

You can get the op5t in that price range on sales, just look out on ozbargain for it
Don't know about oppos though sorry

Recently got a LG G6, love the phone but the camera is complete dog shit have I missed a setting or is it just out performed by other cameras?

Lenovorola isn't updating alot of their phones with any security patch in spite of the Spectre news. In fact, they aren't even updating their budget devices they still currently sell that are new. This is ridiculous.

I was thinking of buying an Android One Moto X4 but it STILL doesn't have Oreo. Although I'm not sure if that's Motorola's fault or Google's.

I wanted an E4 Plus originally but it's stuck in Nougat for the foreseeable future. I'm not phone or tech savvy, but is there a way to manually patch the device up to date?

this

You know how long it takes phone updates to come out? And that's with normal shit. I wouldn't be surprised if it took the majority of phones more than 2 months to put out an update for this.

Is there any phone with front FP scanner and IP68 water resistance other than the S7 EDGE?

>majority of phones more than 2 months to put out an update for this

Except iPhones and Pixels

Moto X4

Lenovo doesnt give a fuck about updates and in the very very rare case that they do then the update fucking kills the phone

t. Lenovo flagship user

Too small, something else?

whats the difference between the op5t and the op5? Also i've never used ozbargain before so i dont really know what im looking at or supposed to be looking for lol everything seems to be expired -

Duh? That's the whole point of the google mades. It's like half the reason anyone bought a nexus.

iPhone is great about providing their performance killers in a timely manner.

Just wait until a new deal comes up

>performance killers

Just replace the battery bruh ;^)

Should I get a Pixel 1 or 2? Is the first Pixel still receiving updates as fast as 2?

I don't think the Pixel 2 XL is worth the money, Pixel 2 might be. Pixel 1 is still a good choice.

you're okay with losing widgets, third party apps for defaults, and more? I'd switch over to an iPhone because of the 5 years of support and apple care, but losing widgets by itself stops me.

they're pretty much the exact same except the 5t has the fingerprint on the back and a slightly taller screen with onscreen buttons

Honor 9 pro, OP5t, or LG G6+?

OP5t, but don't buy it through OP's website. People that bought the phone through their site have been getting fraudulent charges on their bank account's and they are currently trying to figure out what's going on.

LG will barely get updates, and has a very shitty track record with phone for the last 5-6 years. Don't know anything about the Honor as a company, maybe another user can help out.

No fuck the XL, I just want the regular.

Decided to use a 5S as a replacement phone, and I'm pleasantly surprised at how it's running considering it's a 4.5 year old device.

The bezels on the regular are disgusting, why are they so massive for this day and age?

I don't understand why people are so disgusted with bezels. Phone looks fine to me

5S was the last acceptable iPhone desu

How's the Xiaomi Mi Mix 2?
Been on iOS for the last couple of years and have never used a chink phone but need to upgrade.

It's an LG.

The SE is objectively superior

It's a 5S with 2015 specs, of course it's better.

is touch detection dependent on the state of your finger? my phone sometimes miss swipes but other times do not.

I got my galaxy s4 in 2013
This is still a good sot right?

WHY DOESNT MOTOROLA UPDATE THEIR FUCKING PHONES

THEY SAID THEY WERE GOING TO UPDATE MY G4 PLAY TO NOUGAT, AND OREO IS OUT ALREADY AND I DONT GET JACK FUCKING SHIT

>mfw bought S7 factory unlocked for $130
>rooted and installed GravityBox on it

FEELS GOOD MAN

I am looking to upgrade from my Note 5. The battery is pretty shot, the stylus is broke and stuck in the compartment, and I just want a smaller phone overall. Here are my considerations:

>Galaxy S8 (or S8+ if it seems worth it)
>iPhone 8
>HTC U11

Which of the three are recommended? I mainly am concerned with keeping the size down and a nice camera.

Is your SOT supposed to be "4 hours ago" with "6 hours left" estimate? I don't see a SOT metric on that screenshot at all.

Both the 8 and S8 are fairly compact and have a good camera.

Are they nearly identical besides the OS?

If you're trying to keep the size down, the iPhone 8 is the smallest of the three and has a really good camera, but keep in mind that it's also currently the most expensive out of the three as well and iPhones tend to get slowed down with every update.

No, not even close.

The 8 is a classic looking device with a 16:9 screen, while the S8 has a full-front display. Check out a comparison on gsmarena or something.

Why do all social media pictures look worse when taken with android vs iphone?

iPhones always have good photo processing and cameras

app design and image compression

6s here, iOS 11 just fucked it and slowed it down too much. I want to upgrade, the 8 is the only good choice I see worth it, but I really don't want to spend $650 on a phone. Then I'll have to buy a aux bluetooth thing for my car, then bluetooth headphones, I have to spend mad money just for this phone to work fine. I love the iOS ecosystem, and I love Android too, but this shits getting pricy and I can just get a Pixel for like $380 new on ebay. Should I just jump to android? Kinda still fear the lag and stuff android usually has, but the pixel seems to be awesome and really snappy. Also gonna miss imessage truthfully.

how bad is the lag with iOS11? Pixel's a good choice btw

Come on, is the 6S really that bogged down? I was just thinking about switching to iOS from Android since nobody except Google updates their fucking devices

which is better:
>OPPO r11
>Samsung Galaxy A5
>OPPO r9s (plus)
Like, does the r9s still hold up today? (which phone will age better? I don't like being left behind in terms of speed etc.)

what? you replied to me, and I was asking about the iOS11 lag for the same exact reason (contemplating moving to iOS)

Battery life sucks ass, random apps now taking 5-7 seconds to load up, usually 1-2 before. Randomly crashing, random lag everywhere (texting specifically) my camera often just refuses to work, it'll be black and that's it. Shit is just glitching everywhere.

It shouldn't be. I have a 5S since release and it's still good for a phone this old, even after I updated it to ios11. However the battery is a problem as I haven't replaced it.

My 6s just might be part of the small minority of peoples iPhones that STILL suffer from iOS 11. A lot of iPhones don't suffer that bad, but I'm getting hit hard for some reason.

samsung galaxy A5 isn't that great, I dunno about the other two, they're probably both better than the A5

Pixel 1. Longer supported updates + Pixel camera + Stock Android.

At least you're not a pathetic Moto G2 user stuck on Marshmallow 6.0 and Security patch from 2016.

;-;

Got a 2ish year old S7 edge and I've been hating it for the last 6 months or so; battery drains quick and I've accepted that the curved screen is just an annoying gimmick that makes the phone hard to hold without pressing shit.

And updates take forever to release. If you like being the most up-to-date, get the Pixel. I'm in that ballpark and am debating on a Pixel 2XL or just ditching Android altogether

why do you want to ditch android?

Is the Galaxy A3 a good phone for the money? And how are updates? Tired of my Lenovorola sitting in Android Marshmallow hell

The last time I enjoyed Android was Nexus 5, and that was two phones ago; even then, I had to drop it because battery issues.

I want stock for my next phone, so it'll either be Pixel or iPhone.

Ah, so yeah just go for pixel then.