What do anons thing of wind powered ships, will they ever be viable? Green energy is the hotness after all

What do anons thing of wind powered ships, will they ever be viable? Green energy is the hotness after all

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=qyLjISR6XQQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>not nuclear
More like soyships lmao

That's the stupidest shit I have ever seen.

Those boats already lose tons of shit why the fuck would they put huge ass sails on it to destabilize it even further??

Seems like a good idea. I don't know why they never thought of this years ago.

it's going to be done with AI (self learning algorithm) controlling a parachute that pull the ship forwards if winds allow it

it'll never work the wind is too unpredictable

>will they ever be viable?
They have been. They stopped being viable, however.

If it were good enough for our ancestors then it is good enough for us

so stupid. there's only 1/360 chance the wind is blowing the way you want to go. the amount of gas you save is less than the price of a new boat.

Wind powered ships will NEVER catch on. We'll always be rowing.

Fucking land swab don't know how the seawinds work

how do the close hauled and close reach ones work?
does it involve the rudder?

>A sailing craft is said to be sailing close-hauled (also called beating or working to windward) when its sails are trimmed in tightly, are acting substantially like a wing, and the craft's course is as close to the wind as allows the sail(s) to generate maximum lift. This point of sail lets the sailing craft travel diagonally to the wind direction, or 'upwind'.[3]

>The smaller the angle between the direction of the true wind and the course of the sailing craft, the higher the craft is said to point. A craft that can point higher (when it is as close-hauled as possible) is said to be more weatherly.[7]

What a fascinating concept. Give me a few minutes and I'll use GURPS Vehicles to compare a diesel-powered container ship with a wind-powered one.

Do you mean something like rotor sails?

They used to make them back in the day and recently a few companies have tried to bring them back.

jesus fucking christ you guys

What's with the cuckboat on the ramp?

>will they ever be viable?
800AD-1902AD called.
They want to say "Yes"

Dunno if it's viable or just green washing for government grants but they're actually retrofitting those on some ships.

>t. can't into sailing
git gud faggit

that's actually a pretty good idea. wind turbines would work great for that

not worth it unless you get free gibs.

how the fuck does it work

They work with wind like a sail boat.
However they also have diesel engines.

The idea is simple. If the sails can save x amount of diesel over y amount of the cost and maintenance of the sail, then it is worth it.

You have ship running on diesel turbine and you slap a couple of sails on top of it for gubberment moneys.

Kite powered shit is a better idea.

Sails are way too clumsy when you're dealing with cranes and bridges.

Magic.

Sailing can't be explained any other way.

This doesn't save enough fuel to be worth it.

i would always drive against the wind

It's a very small investment, so it only has to save a small amount of fuel.

Sails work like sideways airplane wings. Ideally you want to be headed perpendicular to the wind.

>It's a very small investment,
You sound like you are in possession of some actual numbers. What are they? How much do these sails cost to procure, install, and maintain? Do you need special personnel, and if not, what is the cost of training existing personnel for these sails? Are they regulated? How much fuel do they save, and do they save fuel without slowing down the delivery?

how tf did we work this shit out in ancient times

>the ship saved an estimated 10-15% fuel, $1,000 to $1,500 per day.[5]

AFAIK only the Vikings figured it out.

And it was probably just luck.

You're the one claiming to have made a cost/benefit analysis that shows it "doesn't save enough fuel to be worth it."

Where are your figures?
Oh, right, you pulled that straight out of your ass because you're just a dumb American.

HOLY SHIT!

Why has nobody come up with this before?

So no numbers

Wind powered ships are the future!

Fucking green hippie shit.
What's next, food made from organic grains milled in wind-powered mills?

>AI
>Sails
>New technology paired with old technology making a competitive combo
That'd be really neat if it worked

Not those guys but I can’t imagine that sails are all that expensive. It’s not like they’re fitting ships with solar panels.

>Just luck
Ishyggy diggie big tig

here's your (you)

The technology works.

They already equipped two ships with the system.
One cargo ship and one fishing trawler.

The main problem is ship builders don't have to pay the fuel bills.
So they are slow to adopt fuel saving technology.
Especially during the economic crisis.

No I'm sure they made careful aerodynamic computations and fluid simulations....

Using the directions on that diagram for simplicity. Basically the wind blows down, the sail is at 45 degrees to the wind pushing the boat perpendicular to the wind. You then use the keel to turn that sideways force into an upward force. Much easier to understand if you rent a little one man sailboat.

If their customers wanted it badly enough then the shipbuilders would implement it.

"Figuring it out" does not mean a full modern engineering breakdown of all related functions. Do you suppose optics was a field developed by luck as well? Some dude just hanging out and sees light passing through a medium, and just happens to become inquisitive about the subject to begin experimentation. Is it luck or curiosity? Isn't it obvious? But what difference does it make. It's annoying to see you minimize the scientific acheivements of our most intelligent ancestors. It wasn't luck, they weren't apes.

>Do you suppose optics was a field developed by luck as well?

Pretty much everything is discovered by luck.

Infrared light is one example, yes.

It's already proven it werx.

youtube.com/watch?v=qyLjISR6XQQ

Is the wind strong enought to move the ship at reasonable speed?
What happen if there a strom?

I agree generally speaking but we shouldn't be minimizing the efforts of those pioneers. In many cases luck is often simply witnessing an event and then being driven by the spark of curiosity to develop an idea. It takes experimentation, and it seems like the implication is that they just stumbled across an accurate system of navigation by wind pressure.

fucking nu-male soycucks.

kys

There is one big problem that's preventing these techs from spreading: The shipowner who would have to order these things to be mounted on his ship isn't the one who's paying for the fuel. And national and transnational regulation on ships are very lax.

If wind was beaten by coal steamers, it's not going to come close to diesel/gas turbines.

>there's only 1/360 chance the wind is blowing the way you want to go.

spoken like a real expert, lol

>getting trolled like you're new to the internet

I think they are viable, but they are NOT your main propulsion by any means.

They're just a cheap way to save ~5-10% if they can be maintained as expected for their life span.

I'm sorry for not being patient, I didn't realize you had autism

My guess would be a fancy lifeboat

wow ur right user
really makes one think

Sail is a mature, even ancient technology.
Shipping is a business where fuel savings is a major factor driving profits.
Yet no one uses sail.
That should tell you everything you need to know.

Maybe a giant parasail would be better

hory shiet this already exists. a drone could launch a huge ass kite that could power it 80-100%

naturally the first sailing was done with the wind and with little to no steering. Then while fooling around with the sail someone figured out you can manipulate it to change speed and even steer, and everything else developed through trial and error.

>will wind powered ships be viable
>WILL they be viable
Fuck me it hurts.

How about a parachute/parasail system instead of tall sails?

Oh, nm, my idea already exists. Wonder what other dreams will be dashed when I finally read the thread.

Seems a bit outlandish to me. If they worked they would have been invented long ago. What's next? Animal powered vehicles?

Wind powered boat

this fucking thread gave me a good laugh
>wind powered ships
and this too >not building a global water slide tunnel

this is what happens when soygoys extrapolate

Nobody's talking 100% sail clipper ships. This is more like slapping a spinnaker on a motorboat for a few extra knots or a bit of fuel savings.
>but that's retarded
Yes, at normal recreational craft sizes it would be retarded. Shaving 5-15% in fuel costs for a container fleet adds up to big money.

seems like a good idea actually. sails for good winds, and engine can take over when the wind is bad or dead. like a hybrid car. overall energy saved.

I fucking love this post

i lol'd

BLIMP SHIP

This. I also saw a concept where the shell of the ship was constructed in a way to act like a sail, saving maybe 10 percent of fuel. That's a lot and you don't need sails on deck.
Also I'm not that guy that usually talks about environmental problems, but these huge container ships are like little vulcans. It's quite reasonable to make them more energy efficient.

It's a free fall lifeboat. All ships above a certain size are required to have them.

Sailing ships were actually faster than steamers in many situations, but being able to mantain a consistent speed won out in the end

The idea for modern cargo under sail would combine both systems of propulsion

Wow technology that isn't just useless consumer electronics's. I'm pleasantly surprised Sup Forums

>11 replies

not bad

not bad at all

fine, here's your fucking (You)

You can't use the wind to move 10,000 tons of goods. The wind can barely move a leaf.

This
Those Canadians stay put regardless of wind chill

What about...
A WATER powered ship?

Of course a stupid idea like this won't be realised. It would be as stupid as making roadways out of solar panels.
Lol, there are not enough stupid people on this planet... :^)

You can't burn water as oil retard.

I dont see how that line/chain can pull the ship unless it weights a couple of ton

but you can fuse it into helium

Being this retarded.

>not knowing about hydrogen fusion

Daily reminder this is the kind of trash that is allowed to vote and reproduce in this country.

>let me just put a fusion reactor on my ship
>to power it? no, just to fuse the water around it
t. retard

diesel powered fans blow in sails

No you put a balloon on top of the ship and float it around the world. Duh!