Windows 10 Upgrade Reboot Freakout

So I spent about six hours downloading the Win 10 upgrade to Win 7 which ends this week.

Took about five or six hours to download the thing and it was 98% INSTALLED by 3 am when i decided I had to sleep. I shut the machine down certain like other updates it would simply resume upon rebooting ..

It didn't .. its just starting the download all over again.. is this reality? Are the programmers this stupid they didn't create a provision to resume an install of already downloaded files?

Can this actually be real? I can't , I literally can't accept the people who write this shit are in fact so blitheringly stupid they couldn't see how soemthing like this needs to be considered.. what if I had a power outage ? I have to go through the 12 fucking hours of this shit again? How can I find and launch the install again without spending the next day downloading the files all over again???????

>do not turn off the pc
>turns off the pc

gee op this really made me think

>upgrading to win10
>not downloading the enterprise ISO and doing a clean install
I want Sup Forums to leave

You don't power off the machine when it's doing updates ya dingus. Be glad it's just redownloading rather than leaving you with something broken.

Next time just leave the machine on ffs.

are the files only temp so they delete if install is not complete?

why does it take 6 hours to download shit that isn't even there?

Why not include the means to resume the install?

Did you wipe the drive before hand and then ran the WIN 10 install?

Get a better connection or upgrade your pc, mine took about an hour

no I am using the update assistant I expected the downloaded having shown 98% complete install would leave some bread crumbs and the install would just resume.. wouldn't that be possible? logical? helpful? sensible?

it was free an HP Pavillion G7 64 bit AMD A4-3305m APU Its more of a back up device but figured I'd grab the free upgrade to `0 before it wasn't free

I never had a download take that long, even for windows. Maybe a drive problem? Also why are you using an assistant and not a bootable usb drive, those are a lot faster.

It would but, seeing how you supported this incompetence by using the OS anyway, you deserve this entirely.

this is the Windows download method. Found a link to the offer for the free upgarade I didn't want to hunt around for non-legit sources I am risk averse and since they're still charging nearly $200 for win 10 pro I assume they have some motivation is tracking hot copies. Is that what you mean?

I also have the cheapest slowest net connection Comcast offers.. $49.99/mo for like 3Mb/s download . I had this for years .. they won't allow me to have it back if I upgrade to the next tier service which is $100/mo.. I don't see anything worth that... I can still stream 4k video off amazon perfect with this..

please by all means suggest the patrician OS/ drive combo .. I had a scare yesterday with my XP desktop. I have a gigabyte USB3 H-55 MB ,Intel i3 540 with a nice Seasonic Gold 650 PS. The current boot drive is an old WED 1TB green and I fear its on the way out so where should I go? SSD with what OS?

6.5 year old 1.9ghz BULLDOZER bullshit lmfao. Just toss it.

what don't you get about FREE?

my sister gave it to me.. Its useful enough in a pinch but spends most of its time under the bed

>they charge 50 buckaroo for 3 Mbps
The absolute state of America.

>I shut the machine down certain like other updates it would simply resume upon rebooting ..
Epic bait my nigger, upboated.

I also can not even get FiOs here either.. the only competitor is a small fly by night company called Fair Point notorious for fuck ups

Loonix of course. Even something as non-Sup Forums-meme tier as Ubuntu is good. As for drive, only use SSD for OS, keep your data on HDD.

Why not get linux on it. Its spec are to trash to game so it would be better just to get Ubuntu on it.

Yeah, I also hope that he will turn off his PC when the updates are being installed on it. Instead of reverting the updates, Linux is going to just break.

>98% INSTALLED
>I shut the machine down
You should be glad it boots.

Why the fuck are you on a technology board when you think it's a good idea to turn off a computer when installing an operating system. Wtf

I am going to put my money and effort into the desktop with the i3 540.. if as you siggest its specs are crap why put anything more than time into it.. its currently at 33% downloaded in just over an hour.. I got my xp desktop to stay on finally so I'll be hunting a SSD and I have a WD passport onto which I'll download ubutnu and be happy. I had the xp machine originally to run stripped wo Minlogon.exe as a lossless audio server but the 1080p HD on-chip graphics were so good I started using it all the time. I have about 500GB of rips and downloads on that WD 1TB green caviar that I think is on its way out .. yesterday after configuring the BIOS and shell to run underclockd and Minlogon I found I needed to download a cuefile converter for foobar and had to restore the environment but the machine started shutting off.. I ran chkdsk /f a few times then tried a backup HDD and it too was shutting down.. ..

I did some kernel hack to disable windows file protection so i could rteplace Winlogon.exe with Minlogon.exe and it may have crated other issues.

I swapped the sata cable a few times to different ports, swapped RAM around and eventually it stayed running.. so I used the HP laptop for a bit while working on the desktop .. the main thing is the graphics on the radeon AMD laptop claim to be HD but they clearly fall short of the intel on chip HD compared when running them each over an HDMI 2.0 cable into my SHARP Aquos 4k tv.. so I want to keep using that

Yeah. Never turn off the computer while installing just like your never turn off your console while its saving or pull the usb while its writing memory.

I'm here because I can't see why it wasn't included in the process to ensure a power failure didn't require a total re-do..

Why would you though?
Unless you are a normie who loves ads and only looks at social media, you just only hurt your computer

Are you doing this via wifi or ethernet?

newer isn't better? what planet is this? I don't have many uses for a computer ,no.. I pay bills online, read news and current events , science research etc.. stream some video but am decidedly not a gamer . I don;t edit video professionally , do any kind of programming, compiling or other important work on it. in fact its probably more of a distraction from Life than anything of value.

its Ethernet connected to a shared modem Bridge Mode disabled. and all I'm doing on the other connected machine is hanging here

Well just put it on charge and pull through, and don't turn off the computer on any install ever.

When you upgrade microsoft computes a hash from your hardware and gives you a digital key, so that afterwards you can do a clean install and it will automatically be activated.

Moreover, using an injected slic/bootloader trick you can trick Microsoft into thinking that a windows 7 install is an oem install (can be ultimate or whatever) so that it will automatically be activated.

Doing both allows you to get a legit Windows 10 Pro for free, directly from Microsoft, clean install optional, without exposing yourself to shady pirate shit.