Which license do you consider to be truly "free"?

Which license do you consider to be truly "free"?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/BVkTmnJkAN8?t=55
gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html
gamahgpl.org/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

BSDlikes, because they don't infringe freedom zero.

Good comic.

Free? WTFPL.
Most useful is another question.

FFL

any that doesn't force me to make derived work public

is this way newfag

The BSD license is okay, but I think the GPL is still the best. Preventing companies from using free code in non-free software is important. It seems like a restriction to some, but it only actually matters if you're using filthy stuff.

MIT.

obviously it's the MIT license, because fuck everyone else

GPLv3 always

AGPLv3

Freedom doesn't exist, it's a social construct

tl;dr you want to restrict other people's freedoms just because you don't like them. fuck you commie.

BSD is a cuck's license and a shit tier OS.

This

>grandma sues over gpl license

BSD is up to version 4 or something now.
They keep changing it to keep it compatible with GPL.
GPL compatible so BSD cucks can use software that actually fucking werks.

Someone please fix this inane comic. It doesn't reflect what the licenses are about, yet retards keep posting it.

Paid Chinese gov't shills pls go.

It doesn't prevent Chinese companies from using your code, only American companies.

Reminder that every GPL shill is working for the Chinese government.

This your brain on BSD.

Fuck off, Zhang.

>free
I have always hated that discussions about licences usually boiled down to each side claiming that they waved the flag of freedom. (Because freedom is a good word, and people want to be associated with good things.)

As a software person I would prefer the discussion be about what the license is intended to do, and how well it achieve said things.

whatever you Sup Forumsuys will never code something worth to copy/stole

BSD is the true freedom American™ license, anything else is commie shit.

>gnu/dad

GPL because that's how real freedom works. You have the freedom to do what you want except infringe on others' freedom, eg. making them a slave, killing them, etc. GPL is the same for software.

Yeah, because using somebody else's code in a commercial product equals murder and slavery, right?

Retard.

Not to mention the problem that the GPL doesn't really stop that, because it's unenforceable in certain countries. Case in point, China. Which takes us to the real purpose behind the GPL: it's a communist attempt to shame western developers into giving away their property.

It's a form of cultural marxism, and like all cultural marxism, it was created by a Jew and it uses false moralism to make you do something that is harmful to your own country and beneficial only to communist countries.

>Everything I don't like is Sup Forums

You reversed subject and predicate, user.

>being this new

dumb liberal

>just because you cant prevent Xian from plagiarising your work you should let everyone do it

>western developers
>your own country
Discussions concerning your feels and identity belong on a different board.

>the real purpose
Conspiracy theories also go on some other board.

>Everything I don't like is Sup Forums
>You reversed subject and predicate, user.
>∀x.¬LIKES(some_particular_faggot,x)→x∈Sup Forums
I.. I don't know how to reverse them.

>giving Chinese businesses an unfair advantage over Western businesses is okay
>trust me, laowai! I wouldn't lie to you, would I? heh heh...

i bet you open your asshole wide open to botnets bitch

GPLv3 is the best copyleft license which ensures that the licensed software will stay free.

Other, "permissive" licenses like MIT, BSD, etc, allow using the code in proprietary software, which results in users loosing their freedoms, or even worse; the software may be used to spy on it's user and the users are kept helpless.

.... as seen in IntelME/MINIX.

Yay, more paid Chinese shills...

found the CIA nigger

Western businesses are disadvantaged by governments that work for Disney. Blame Chinese for working for the Chinese.

Western businesses are disadvantage when they can't use your code because it's GPL but their Chinese competitor can take advantage of your code because they don't give a fuck about the GPL out there.

You're literally cucking America everytime you don't use a BSD license.

certainly not the GNU-male one.
LGPL, because at least the shit i made belongs to me.

>You're literally cucking America everytime you don't use a BSD license.
Just according to keikaku

For crap anybody can write? MIT.
For really ambitious projects? GPLv3

>rights and freedoms guaranteed
Very vague bullshit. It's what GNU faggots rely on.

>Ammendments to official document require public consultation
Was that even English?

>freedom from slavery
Nope.

>freedom from treachery
What?

>Hey, that house you built? That isn't your house
FTFY

>based on the premise that property is theft
>"free"
Pick one.

The GPL is not free (as in free speech) by any objective metric.

>hey that house you built, you must provide it's blueprints
Ftfy, retard.

WTFPL and Public Domain.

You wouldn't download a house, would you?

>muh freeze peach covers racism and calls to kill durrr

>which results in users loosing their freedoms,
How is not being allowed to use certain software with certain other software because of an autistic license more free?

BSD lets me use whatever the fuck I want, It's almost as free as WTFPL even.

Shit analogy as you don't need to provide anything unless you distribute, and you can't distribute a house.

>the shit i made belongs to me
It belong to you regardless of whatever license you pick to offer to other people as you are the copyright holder.
And there's no reason you have to only pick one license.

>but i wrote those blueprints myself
>i can't make a profit off of it anyways
fucking commie >:^|

Reminder that profits are the unpaid wages of the workers.

The GPL shouldn't be needed, because copyright shouldn't be a thing. "Intellectual property" is a contradiction in terms. If you can't stand on it or drop it on your foot, its not property. In a perfect world everything would be CC0.

But we don't live in that world, so we need a hack like the GPL to work around the damage thats caused by the concept of copyright.

You can't stand on your domain name or drop it on your foot. It is nevertheless your property.

This

Say you buy a house. You can stand on the plot of land you own, thats your property. You can't stand on your address, thats not your property. a domain name is an address, not a plot of land.

No license. FREE SOFTWARE FOR ALL!

Nice strawman faggot. Also stallman is an atheist. Educate yourself before posting again.

"freedom isn't free"
youtu.be/BVkTmnJkAN8?t=55

The original intention of copyright was to benefit society; book readers get more books in better quality and authors got reasons to write good stuff.
Today copyright doesn't benefit people anymore, not even the authors; citizens get criminalized so companies (no users nor authors) can profit.

No license means automatically "all rights reserved".

How is he using that fork/knife?

What?

What we need to realize is that this premise is in error. Humans create art and useful knowledge inherently. Its an inborn drive. People will do it whether or not you give them a monopoly on the fruits of that creation. Granting such a monopoly doesn't lead to more art and useful knowledge, it leads to rent-seeking.

Actually if you look back at the Statute of Anne, it was all a sham from the beginning. Publishers would buy original manuscripts and get de-facto rights to publish said materials. When small shops started reprinting works that the publishers had bought, they cried. They literally went to Parliament and cried and whined about how they wuz oppressed and shiiiiiit.

MIT

The problem is the inherently capitalistic premise that greed is the only Human motor.
>yet again the problem is capitalism

Apache for stuff you don't care, otherwise GPL. Don't use BSD, MIT, WTFPL, etc memes.

ISC is the only option.

CC0 is the one and only free license.

Good resource for picking a license: gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html

They are just words. If you don't like the term property just change it to something like "intellectual rights". What the concept refers to is what matters.

The GPL is a great tool for corporations, because it grants them a monopoly over a piece of software, destroying little businesses in the process.

>apache
it's long and wordy and doesn't really do jack shit more than MIT or ISC
WTFPL is a meme (it does declare intent), and BSD license is obsolete.

really, there's three options
>GPL
anything you actually care about
>ISC
anything up to twice as long as the ISC license's text
>CC0
everything not already covered -- basically, WTFPL but as an actual license

Man, imagine putting together words without actually delivering any meaning.

>The GPL is a great tool for corporations, because it grants them a monopoly over a piece of software, destroying little businesses in the process.
Oh wait, that's what this fucking bullshit is.

>real freedom
>caring about licenses
Real freedom is not about external limitations, it's about your character and your machine combined. Softwares are just an extension of it.
Be a black hat.
>fuck with all kinds of licenses
>earn bucks anonymously by selling reskinned GPL code and ship it for android
>reverse engineer closed source binaries and blobs for educational purposes
>do mental gymnastics that your doing all these for humanity while saying tehee^~^ in a tottemo kawaii manner

>without actually delivering any meaning.
Not my problem you have the reading comprehension of a 3yo.

This thread's retarded and this license controversy is inane, pointless and fucking useless!

Software are tools.

When in the context of tools, freedom isn't a function of what you can do TO the tools you have, but rather of what you can do WITH the tools you have.

The more a software can accomplish, the freer it is. Licenses are meaningless and a distraction.

>You're literally cucking America everytime you don't use a BSD license.
Exactly what I want to do.

use the GGPL, problem solved gamahgpl.org/

True freedom is releasing your own software as proprietary.

>You're literally cucking America everytime you don't use a BSD license
Good. Americans can grab their retarded president and burn in hell for eternity for all I care

mah bro

you too would like Abolishing Freedom by Ruda-- it goes into the retardation of focusing on aristotelian notions of freedom as a capacity and how utterly nonproductive that is

"Do what you want with it, but don't try to sell it."

Yet

>Hey, this house I built, you can use it but if you extend it I get to use the extensions too!
FTFY

It just means that the Chinese can't bring their GPL-infringing shit to the west which in turn protects western businesses from Chinese competition.

WTFPL is free as in anarchy

ISC

>MIT/BSD
>work for years on Cool Software
>Apple takes Cool Software
>changes name to Ultra App
>closes source
>makes it run 5% faster with a few days of work
>sells it on the app store for $100
>"H-hey, Apple, that's pretty cool, can I see how you made it faster, I've been struggling with that?"
>-"No, get fucked you prole, Ultra App is ours. You can buy it for $100, and use it, just sign them EULA before you do."

>>>/leftypol/