Mandarin or Japanese?

The more this semester continues, the less enthused I am to continue studying Japanese. I probably shouldn't have signed up for the JLPT a couple of days ago after all. Seems like studying for it would get in the way of my actual studies, AND my Chinese Politics professor (who actually is Chinese herself) seems pretty chill but serious about learning. I don't want to insult her. Perhaps I should stop and start studying Mandarin instead? We have to learn ALL of China's provinces and their capitals within the next two weeks as well. Then of course, there are the real-life implications of knowing either Japanese or Mandarin, and what it could mean for one's personal and financial future.

What would you do, Sup Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sadaejuui
bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-08-31/adviser-to-abe-starts-to-see-risk-that-abenomics-may-not-do-well
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I'm in the other boat, having studied Mandarin for 3 years and about to finish my Masters in Mathematics. Realised I'd rather speak Japanese. Going to apply to do my PhD over in Japan next year though so I can hopefully learn it there.

Good luck.

How's Mandarin? I wanted to learn but it's still isn't on Duolingo yet.

Depends on what you want to do with yourself
There are opportunities with both countries.

If you want to do something more in line with entertainment media then Japan is the better choice. Most other things you will probably find more options with Chinese.

Japanese bro

dont give it another thought

True, I have considered this.

you already speak the only language youll ever need

go for Chinese.
The small should serve the great and powerful.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sadaejuui

>studying the meme language
Good luck with the sinking ship called japan.

bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-08-31/adviser-to-abe-starts-to-see-risk-that-abenomics-may-not-do-well

Chinese is a meme language
Both have meme writing systems but Japanese' is better.
China is a shithole
Japan will rise again as the first country to reach 99% unemployment when the singularity happens.
screen cap this.

This is a big thing I've considered as well. Japan's shrinking economy AND population are significant discouragers.

he doesn't want other people to become competent in mandarin because he doesn't want competition.
Go for Chinese.
Japanese has too many westerners speaking it, Russian could be worth it...if we were in the 50s/60s/70s. Russia's GDP is smaller than Italy's. But probably still more interesting than China.

hm....

doesn't matter the shrinking population. Japanese economy is still huge.
However you'd face massive competition: it's full of westerners already speaking japanese.
If you are doing it for money go for Chinese, even Russian could be a better choice than Japanese...

At my point in life, I definitely *do* need the money; had a rough start into the adult world...long story short, my savings is usually in the double-digits by the end of the month. Considering teaching English in Japan to start, then networking or w/e and staying there permanently. But, it's pretty expensive by comparison.

I've been studying Japanese much longer, too.

you're not after kawaii shit right? You just want monies. And chinese will give you access to less shitty places like Taiwan

Actually no, you dumb wop.

There is literally no reason for him to learn Chinese. He's not going to be some big high profile businessman doing business with chinks, and he's definitely not going to get hired by the US government or gain any extra points for putting "fluent in Chinese" on his CV. They already have millions of ABC chink-americans for that.

Like the other guy said, China is a steaming pile of shit, the people are detestable and disgusting subhumans. No sane person would want to live there.

I'm sort of a 'graduated weeaboo.' I've reached a level of weebism that my tastes in Japanese pop culture are more refined, and I rarely even watch anime anymore. Feels more like a chore now; I prefer live-action dramas.

it's not like you have slots in your head, just keep studying Japanese and start another language.
Probably the knowledge of Kanji (especially your method to actually learn and remember them) will be helpful when learning huge numbers of Hanzi. Good luck with that.
Probably the tones are gonna be an even tougher challenge than grammar and hanzi.
On the other hand Russian has no hanzi nor tones but a nightmarish grammar.

>he doesn't want competition
>japan already has too many westerners speaking japanese
>lets encourage more westerners to learn chinese so that becomes saturated too hurrdurr

kek, fucking retard

>nightmarish grammar
Part of why I'm not considering Korean atm. Though I do love Korean culture.

oh I'm sure Japan is more colorful and civilized. I am not so sure about Japanese people, if you go deeper than fake smiles.
But if you wanna make monies I think you'll have more chances with China.
I cannot imagine what will happen 20 years from now though.

mandarin

>Decline population is bad
when will this meme end? The population can't rise forever. Pretty soon 99% of jobs will be automated. Why isn't any country preparing for this?

I may not have that much time left.

let's not sell cars or TVs to the masses, the market will become saturated.

and actually, it's the other way around now. china and chinese is the flavor the month, a meme language. everybody and their mother are learning it.

westerners are fleeing japan or not going there anymore. a white person who is fluent in japanese is rare.

Mandarin is easier.

Korean and Japanese are same but different Alphabets

Why would YOU say that?

Yes, I know. Lived in Korea for some time in my early-20s.

we need immigrants……

Japanese.

Somebody post that user who learned Mandarin and talked about how the Chinese are the biggest pieces of shit imaginable.

I remember you. You're black aren't you? You will NOT have a good time in China bro lol.

Definitely go to Japan.

>wanting to be surrounded by shiton of "who isu thisu subhumanu andu whyu is it bulaku" asians

Japan is one of the few uncucked countries left. Don't fall for the multicultural meme

>We have to learn ALL of China's provinces and their capitals within the next two weeks as well
You make it sound like it's a task of any difficulty.

It really depends on if you like China or Japan or whatever, or specifically enjoy life as a foreigner in those countries which carries its own unique status. The number one thing to me is just don't learn a language if you don't want to live in the culture (and confronting and adapting yourself to totally shocking things) where it is spoken or talk to the people who speak it.

I assume you have some goal for learning beyond weebish consumerism if you are considering learning Chinese.

I've been to Japan multiple times, and travelled just about the whole country with the exception of the southern islands.

China is a shithole, but the Japanese lifestyle will probably hit you hard as an American.

In America you can tell people to fuck off, or you can actually have an impact in your workplace. You can't do that in Japan.

I mean, outside of work, You can be American as fuck and the Japanese won't do shit, they're too beta. Fuck, you can jump the train turnstiles, and they won't do much more than glare or yell at you, although of course if you do that all the time you'll run into trouble with the cops.

All I'm getting at is that apparently in the workplace, the hive mind is strong. As an American, it's a pretty tough pill to swallow... depending on how into the American sensibility of individualism and individual freedom you are.

It is when you're also studying for the JLPT (N3).

I like both, and have since I was a baby. I used to watch Chinese movies from a crib, even tried writing Chinese numbers as early as Kindergarten (they were just numbers from digital clocks that I THOUGHT were Chinese). I got into Japanese culture somewhere during 4th grade when I started watching anime, then got seriously into it in 2011 after the Fukushima Daiichi Disaster.

Though I do regret going to Japan for a three-day trip (did a lot of shopping) in 2010.

I'm willing to learn.

It's not so much about learning as it is adapting. Don't get me wrong, the country is beautiful, but the people are... well kinda simple. At least from my limited experience, and the anecdotal stories of friends who live there.

They're homogenous, and they all very much believe in the strict rules of Japanese society, even the ones who would be considered "thugs". The kind of humor you're used to (esp if you browse Sup Forums) the kind of conversations you have... it's very shallow from what I understand. The Japanese refuse to talk about their personal lives, or their problems. They also very much buy into the whole politeness thing.

I'm just saying is that the transition may be rougher than you think, and you should get a feel for the place first.

Once again, that said, I've met some of the coolest, nicest people in Japan, especially in the countryside. The old folks give no fucks, and it's pretty cool.

Also, China is maximum shit, so it's not even an option.

I see...

>bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-08-31/adviser-to-abe-starts-to-see-risk-that-abenomics-may-not-do-well

I made a bet with my grandfather that Abenomics will be a failure. Sadly he died a year ago, so I will never prove to him I was right.

in our faculty the classes of Chinese and Japanese were swallen and it's been like that, at least for Japanese, for at least 10-15 years.
It's not the 80s anymore, Japanese "thanks" to japanese pop culture has become way more spoken by younger generations than, say, 30 years ago. It's not about huge numbers here but Japan doesn't need that many foreigners speaking Japanese, it's a niche market.

the same shit goes with your murica though

I just bring it up because I lived in China for a while and while I was able to adapt to the Chinese lifestyle and be happy there are a lot of other foreigners who either couldn't do it or refused to do it and were miserable assholes. It's much more shocking that Japan because the higher development of Japanese cities and their culture lets you honeymoon for a while.

I strongly disagree but whatever.

no one let you speak, disgusting subhuman

The guy saying Chinese are detestable subhumans is probably nothing more than a racist.

OP here. I guess I'll go to bed now; sleeping pill is kicking in. Thanks everyone for your inputs.

tfw no ukrainian gf

China - just using poor people and big land and natural resources, so that's why they trying to trespassing to the other countries territories.

Japan - they don't have a big land and natural resources, but always create useful technologies,and they always keep moral.

i can't understand who want to learn Chinese.

we are promised land.
> rare metals
> methane hydrate
> natural gas and oil

The grammar is very straight forward and easy to remember. The big problem is reading so many characters and then pronouncing them correctly. You write from the top down and left to right for every symbol btw.

>tfw I speak both

I remember this post, didn't think anyone would save it lol

>methan hydrate

You are researching how to make that into fuel arent you?

what's there to research? It's just a methane clathrate
you can burn it away

The grammars are not the same at all. Stop lying.

No we don't. We already have too fucking many immigrants from Korea and China.
Just go back to your cunt.

╔═════════════════ ೋღღೋ ════════════════╗
.............................................WARNING............................................

THIS JAP IS AN INFAMOUS JAPANESE SCHIZO FLAMER WHO
IS OBSESSED WITH KOREA/CHINA POSTING DOZENS OF
FLAME THREADS LIKE THIS ON Sup Forums EVERY DAY FOR YEARS
HE IS NOT A SANE PERSON DON'T REPLY TO THIS THREAD
PLEASE JUST REPORT THIS THREAD AND DON'T FEED HIM
WHAT HE NEEDS IS NOT A REPLY BUT MEDICAL TREATMENT

╚═════════════════ ೋღღೋ ════════════════╝

Mandarin

Fuck Japan

you cant get both anyway

both are god awfully hard to learn

so do either one of them roughly

>what it could mean for one's personal and financial future.
Don't let this impact your decision.

Your motivation for learning both languages is extremely half assed.

You will -not- attain the level necessary for it to even be relevant. You might show off at a party or manage basic restaurant orders, but you aren't going to be functional in either one unless you are ready to give it your all. (ALL OF IT).

I know multiple people that have gotten HSK6 and JLTP N1. They didn't get that way thinking "Oh which one will have the most financial benefit in the future -maybe- if I decide to use it"

tl;dr - Learn Chinese since apparently you care about impressing your Chiense professor. Japanese won't do you any good but get you nerd-cred among weeabs unless you're serious about it.

I think Japanese is easier to learn, especially if you consider that there's enjoyable media (anime) to help learn it. Mandarin is probably more useful for jobs and obscure untainted waifus, but the pronunciations are a huge pain in the ass.

They're full

Mandarin
So we can talk

There are Chinese animes too and a lot more Chinese MMOs. There are music, food, culture and everything better than Japanese. Chinese food is more delicious

Chinese grammar is easier and you can easily get work and be rich. Japanese employers are too strict and they pay you little

>Chinese food is more delicious
I would have to disagree with that.

Yeah, Japan uncooked food and Natto taste like shit.

I lived in china for a few years.
DO NOT LEARN CHINESE unless you have a real vested interest in it or want to spend time in China

In honesty I wouldn't recommend going to china either way. Just learn Japanese, it's easier anyway

Are you stupid or what?

What about Korean? Interesting to learn that one.

China and Japan can't stand each other, they may go to a nuclear war, may become ww3.

LOL Orientals!

wumao pls go

Anyway Like I said, China isn't for everyone and pretty much everyday I spent there pissed me off. If you're really interested in china then go ahead and learn mandarin. Otherwise I wouldn't advise it.

>China and Japan can't stand each other
they're just tsun for each other.
desu china is starting shit but I don't think it will really amount to anything

Lol nice try weeboos. But Japan isn't any better, China is better overall.
Shilling Japan won't do you anything.

Korea is not bad

…………

>China is better overall
lolno. Japan is 1000x better to live in.
China is quite literally third world tier outside of major city centers/expat areas.And native people tend to be quite hygenically challenged.

I lived in Shanghai for 3 years, you gotta do better than that mang

Nice argument

>Japan is 1000x better to live in
Japan is shit, everything too expensive. With a lot of people trying hard to get a job where they get paid so little. They have a lot of people on the verge of poverty expecially the highschool students looking for a job. China has better regulation and many job opportunities you see a lot of rich Chinese people but no rich Japanese

China has so many people of course there are many slum, but they are doing very good, but if Japan has 1 billion people, it would be worse than a shithole

I can literally tell from the way you write that you're Chinese.

Don't you know Korean at all? There are even equivalents of our は and が in Korean.

Mandarin.

China is amazing, a massive landmass with an unbelievable variety of landscapes and cityscapes.

Some cities here are truly beautiful, just went to Nanjing a few days ago, shit was so cash.

Japan is losing relevance by the way although I still respect their culture, even if its an imitation of China's.

t. laowai

I'm australian

Also this. My chinese is pretty basic.>everything too expensive.
I lived in Shanghai. That city alone is more expensive than most of Japan. I'll agree stuff like the bare essentials and utilities are cheap but everything else isn't fucking cheap in China.

Want to buy a car? More expensive than Japan
Want to get a license plate just so you can be able to drive to downtown Shanghai or Beijing? $20,000. 20 grand for a fucking license plate.

>With a lot of people trying hard to get a job where they get paid so little.
And China is different how? The average chinese wage is still way less than in Japan. Standard of living in Japan is way better too.

>They have a lot of people on the verge of poverty expecially the highschool students looking for a job.
Yes because gaokao isn't horrendous

>China has better regulation and many job opportunities you see a lot of rich Chinese people but no rich Japanese
>better regulation

The Chinese government wouldn't know good regulation if it bit them on the dick. Everything is convoluted and mired in guanxi so you have to either have connection or bribe your way to get anything done. All chinese people can think about is money.

China has 10x the population of Japan. So yes there will be more rich people.

Money demands sacrifice, it's not about how many problem there are but the percentage of it compared to Japan

Japan has a very cold culture and ignore you all the time. They are not respectful to westerner and mostly pretend to be happy with them. You will be lonlier in Japan.

fuck off you cuck

lolkay.
That must be why rich chinese are leaving en masse. Even the ones I know there are getting the fuck out soon

You sound like a butthurt laoloser. I'm in Shanghai right now and other than rent, life is cheap. Food and transportation are cheap as fuck and very good. My rent isnt so bad either, a nice bedroom in a flat in the richest part of shanghai fo 350 $ a month.

I lived in Japan as well
I'd rather them ignore me than try to rip me off at every opportunity.

NO

See this guy he lives in China and know more about China. It's a better place to earn and get money, maybe you can teach your children learn Japanese next time. But for now and your pocket, Chinese is better.

>You sound like a butthurt laoloser.
I am

>Food and transportation are cheap as fuck and very good

>the richest part of shanghai fo 350 $ a month.
Where? I had a flat at south shaanxi road for around $2k/month

wumao pls.
I'm not some english teacher.
Trying to have any business dealings in China is a real frustrating beyond words experience. Running a business in China is so goddamn awful at times I don't know why I even bothered. So glad I gtfo

I'm in a shared flat. The cost of the whole apartment is about 2k a month, its right next to nanjing west road.

That's not bad. I paid $2k but I got a 2 bedroom and the compound had a private gym and sauna room

desu you'd get a better deal in another district unless you really want to live downtown.

Learn Mandarin and become expert hacker in China robbing big corporations of money while blending in overpopulated cities like Hong Kong.

I want to live downtown though. I'm literally living my weeb anime cyberpunk dreams.