It gets worse

The suffering of Intelfags doesn't stop.

phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=RETPOLINE_UNDERFLOW

>While initial support for Retpoline was merged into the Linux 4.15 Git kernel last week and is now being backported to some supported Linux kernel series, there is still additional work ongoing for properly mitigating Spectre v2 on Intel Skylake CPUs and newer.

>It turns out Skylake CPUs and newer require additional patches to fully mitigate against the Spectre Variant Two vulnerability. These newer CPUs can fallback to a potentially poisoned indirect branch predictor when a return buffer underflows. Andi Kleen of Intel has sent out a new patch series dubbed "RETPOLINE_UNDERFLOW" that gets enabled by default for Skylake CPUs and newer.
>It turns out Skylake CPUs and newer require additional patches to fully mitigate against the Spectre Variant Two vulnerability. These newer CPUs can fallback to a potentially poisoned indirect branch predictor when a return buffer underflows.
>It turns out Skylake CPUs and newer require additional patches to fully mitigate against the Spectre Variant Two vulnerability. These newer CPUs can fallback to a potentially poisoned indirect branch predictor when a return buffer underflows.

Other urls found in this thread:

theregister.co.uk/2018/01/15/solarwinds_aws_meltdown_fix_analysis/
chiru.no/u/intel_collage.png
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

uma

Are you proud of yourself for that. I can just imagine you sitting at your computer, obese and sweating, chuckling as you typed that out. "Gonna get me some yous and maybe even a screenshot" you mutter to yourself with your Doritos stained mouth. As you think of anonymous people on the internet acknowledging your existence, your greasy, rubbed raw micropenis gives a slight wiggle. Maybe, just maybe, this will be enough to make up for the attention your father and the girls at school never gave you. Maybe, these yous are going to be the thing that turn your whole life around. But no. No one acknowledges your joke, it wasn't funny, you are not funny, and your existence is going to continue much as it has so far. Sad, lonely, and smelly. Here's your (you), you sad little man.

theregister.co.uk/2018/01/15/solarwinds_aws_meltdown_fix_analysis/

>VMware has pulled all patches that apply Intel's microcode updates, and recommends that users do not install them. If they have already been installed, you can't reverse the process, so they recommend disabling speculative execution entirely on every affected ESXi Host and rebooting every VM in that environment, then waiting until Intel releases more microcode updates, applying those, undoing your configuration change on your ESXi Host, and then rebooting every VM in your environment again. So everyone with VMware who's already applied patches is now looking at 2 guaranteed separate, and manually performed total VM outages as a reward for applying Intel's microcode updates.

WORKING AS INTENDED

It's FUD!!!

tfw "INTEL IS FINISHED AND BANKRUPT" meme becomes real in your lifetime

By the time this is over you'll be lucky to retain 1/3 of the performance.

chiru.no/u/intel_collage.png

came here looking for this

found it

why are you so mean, mister...

NO NO NO NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!

Intel only wins from it. You can't outjew a jew.

memes always become reality if they are believed by enough people. they are the running blood of our universe.

Fuck off Liquid

So wait hol up, Haswell be safer?

Is this just a lincucks thing? I flashed my bios with microcode for specter v2

All I want is companies that work with Intel to never work with Intel again, all across the globe. I want them to lose everything and become completely irrelevant.

>que delicia!

Kek fuck Intel

No.

Why

Because it's a hardware fault and no amount of innate OS/kernel security will help without shitting performance.

But i already installed the specter v2 bios microcode

And there's still more to install.

you sound exactly like the neckbeard you just described :D

>even more down time for every intel servers
well that sucks

THIS
I feel like they need this to make any new processor relevant. I mean we've been stuck in a rut for so long.

>cucktel

huehuehuahuahua

>linux is inferior for applying the mitigation correctly

I don't believe windows users have the full mitigations, but then again if you cared about security you wouldn't be using windows.

I flashed my bios manually for specter v2, nothing to do with wangblows

>this is what intel users believe

If you cared about security you wouldn't be running intel either.

a (you) for you

My bios microcode update has nothing to do with windows

Wait, there are really people who believe such Hardware fuckup can be fixed by fucking Software?
Are you all retarded?

Sweet mother of dubs, nice sequence.

Thank you too.

OP isn't talking about that, it's talking about the RETPOLINE software mitigations for SPECTRE.

The microcode affect is limited on Intel, there are still software mitigations for SPECTRE namely the RETPOLINE techniques modifying certain logic operations to avoid branch prediction altogether. As OP shows, the fix initially provided by Intel for RETPOLINE has a vulnerability in itself.

Retpoline?
Isn't that just french fries with gravy and cheese curds?

About as effective for Intel as anything else. All these "mitigations" are just blowing smoke to obscure the fact all Intel CPUs are now worthless trash.

Do i need RETPOLINE and the bios patch for spector v2?

You need to bin that Intel garbage.

Real answer pls thx i'm not buying poozen i have a coffeelake for a reaso

Go away Sup Forums, or at least try posting without your CPU stuttering

Shill harder pls you aren't trying hard enough