/tpg/ - Trashpad General

Old Thread: If you're looking for purchase advice, state your budget and requirements (e.g. size and performance).
>>Don't buy anything OTHER THAN IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad T, X, and W/P Series if you want the Real Business Experience™
>>Other business laptops are also welcome in /tpg/ (Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).

Recommended IBM models:
>600 series, IPS T4x or 755 series
Recommended modern models:
>X220 - 12", 768p, cheap and light
>T420 - 14", 900p, widely available, socketed CPU, Ivy Bridge installable w/ Coreboot
>W520 - 15", 1080p, Desktop Replacement, 32GB RAM on quadcore models, USB 3.0
>T440p, T540p, W540 - last ThinkPads to have replaceable CPUs, IPS displays available, chiclet
>P series - reminiscent to old build quality, top-of-the-line specs, better than most current mobile workstations, but very expensive.

Why ThinkPad?
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap
>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet
>Great durability: chassis uses a magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, with high quality plastic body panels
>Utilitarian design: e.g. indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop
>Easy to repair (most models), upgrade & maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model, spare parts easy & cheap to obtain
>The best TrackPoint, great for those who type a lot or hate swiping their fingers all over a touchpad
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support

Used laptop guides by xsauc:
dankpads.com
ThinkWiki - Info on ThinkPads & running GNU/Linux on them:
thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki
ThinkPad service guides w/ tutorial videos:
lenovoservicetraining.com/
EPP discount for new ThinkPads:
pastebin.com/JVwVGVTW
BIOS logo booru:
biosimage.booru.org/

Other urls found in this thread:

ebay.co.uk/itm/172994834979
patchdynamics.net/g_Certified_Sticker_READ_DESC/p4320689_17837129.aspx
reddit.com/r/lightshope/comments/7mkn4i/idab_returns_january_16th/
forum.lightshope.org/search.php?author_id=13868&sr=posts&sid=7810c5f3003202e4218a52711e4c0061
youtube.com/watch?v=ijLxbk27HNs
ebay.com.au/itm/Lenovo-ThinkPad-X230i-Core-i3-3120-2-5GHz-4GB-320GB-12-5-Win-7-Laptop/263412042868?epid=1775966108&hash=item3d5494cc74:g:ApUAAOSwmudaSFBM
github.com/hamishcoleman/thinkpad-ec
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

There's a 1080p panel available for my t520 for $80. Should I purchase it? Currently have 900p panel.

Never owned a ThinkPad before, thinking about getting an X220. budget is about £200 would use it mainly for university work, are there any other models that would be better?

NEED COMPUTER FOR PROGRAMMING WORK IN VISUAL STUDIO AND ALSO DATABASE/WEBSITE DEV.

WHAT TO GET? 600$ BUDGET LOOKING FOR MAXIMUM PERFORMANCE WITH A SCREEN THAT WONT GIVE ME EYE CANCER!

How many inches do you want it to be?

Ok guys guys

There's this thing this ebay.co.uk/itm/172994834979
And I have an X220 I can use as donor

Would I be able to use the X220 wrist rest, keyboard, hinges, lid, RAM cover, and HDD cover?

Would a 4th gen Intel Processor work on a T420?

15+ although its less of a worry to me.

Sup Forumsuys, could i use stuff for the T420 on a T430? Like Battery, Screen and other alike?

You should get an x200 or x220. The caplocks key is located next to the 'a' key, and it has a green light to indicate if it on or not. One of the best features about it.

Get that if you don't mind the trackpad and don't care about libre booting

Found a T420, it's Win7 64bit, Core i5-2520M 2.5ghz processor, 14.1", 4gb DDR3 memory, 250gb Hard Drive for about £100, should I go for it?

Probably only going to use it for writing.

My thinkpad t420 is a piece of crap. Spent 150 on a t420 without an activated windows, the disk tray comes out if i slightly tap it, and the battery drops 50% when I use it for 30 minutes. Also, the keys feels kinda worse compared to a dell latitude e6400. Sucks because I was thinking how great this laptop is, but i'm going to return it before it's too late.

My mom has a Dell Latitude e6400 that i'm going to make into a meme machine for school and shitposting.

100 lbs is way too much. 50-60 is reasonable.

GREENLIGHT SO I KNOW WHEN IM READY TO POST ON HIMALAYAN THROAT SINGING FORUM? THANK GOD.

T480s when?

That is fucking beautiful. Where can I get one?

Is £180 too much for a W520 i5-2520M 8GB Ram 320GB HDD

t. Ameriburger

>Sup Forums
nope

Anybody use 3G modem on thinkpad?

I used it for a bit in my X230. Anything you want to know?

patchdynamics.net/g_Certified_Sticker_READ_DESC/p4320689_17837129.aspx

Yes. What I need for 3G ? wwan card and sim?

Correct
I can only tell from experience with X230 and T530 but the antenna cables should already be around laid the area of the wwan card slot

Thanks. I want to try trip with x220 need internet connection everywhere

Threadly reminder to blacklist idab and T440s aswell as reporting him for breaking rule 11.

reddit.com/r/lightshope/comments/7mkn4i/idab_returns_january_16th/
forum.lightshope.org/search.php?author_id=13868&sr=posts&sid=7810c5f3003202e4218a52711e4c0061
youtube.com/watch?v=ijLxbk27HNs

>”Grow up buddy, people know me. Im famous here. “ -idab

Wouldn't it be easier to just use tethering on your phone?

One strange thing I had on W10 with the simcard module: It would only work after typing in the Pincode two times

Is the x220 a housefire???

Thinking about getting an X240, 190€, internal battery, 128g ssd, only 4gb ram though. It's cheaper than all X230's around here.
Already own an ASUS Zenbook UX303, am I just being retarded by doing this?

Want a portable laptop with great battery life, will mostly hang around in the terminal.

Enjoy those trackpoint buttons.

There's a 1080p panel for my t520 (its the v4 panel) for 80$. Is it worth it?

I'm serious though. And I am indeed from the best country in the world.

Alright. Gonna buy a T430, upgrade to 16 gigs RAM, throw in an extra SSD, and put in a T420 keyboard.
Not sure if I want to put in a i7 yet, all of the ones I'm looking at are i5 3rd gen. Is it cheaper usually to get an i5 and upgrade to i7? or get one with an i7 already?

I bought some shit off this user, including this sticker about a month ago but I haven't received anything, nor is he answering my emails. Have I been scammed?

Is it possible to install an integrated webcam on a think pad that doesn't have one? (DIY of course, maybe drilling own hole in the bezel).

Or what's the alternative to getting a (portable)webcam?

Somebody got me banned for sharing my twitch channel last night. I appealed the ban and I am now back.

Was almost unable to say: Daily reminder that the Thinkpad t440s is the #1 thinkpad based on price/performance/portability

World of Warcraft Vanilla is running AMAZING on my t440s.

Looks amazing!

My trackpad and track point drivers from time to time get disabled or unrecognised randomly and I cant use them until reboot. Anyone experience this before?

T420 here

The hottest my t440s gets in peak loads during World of Warcraft is only about 60 degrees Celsius at most.

Loose connection?

Bad trackpad?

>no green LEDs
>chiclet keyboard
No wonder you're a faggot who plays vanilla instead of wrath

Both ribbons are correctly inserted, I checked twice. It mainly happen when I leave it alone for too long and display goes off. When I wake it up then it sometimes trips out

I played wrath on retail and then crusade gaming for a bit. DK blood tank and Holy priest.

ICC 10 heroic still remains the best raid of all time.

Farming PoS/FoS for hours on end.

I love wrath too senpai, but I plan on enjoying blizzards release of classic at the end of this year.

You reinstalled windows already?

also I didnt mean to say senpai...i tried to say fa.m

>he pays for the same content and twice as much without the "wow" factor of the game
>claims superiority on an average manmade piece of technology that some neckbeard cummed on

Your IQ must be 4 digits

Yes I installed stock win 7 pro (not that it makes a difference but I just want to mention that I bought a CD key off eBay )

Roughly what price should x230 be? Also I found a x230i that looks like it's in incredibly mint condition, only downside is that it's a bit overpriced. At point price would this laptop be worth? Note price is in AUD

ebay.com.au/itm/Lenovo-ThinkPad-X230i-Core-i3-3120-2-5GHz-4GB-320GB-12-5-Win-7-Laptop/263412042868?epid=1775966108&hash=item3d5494cc74:g:ApUAAOSwmudaSFBM

Yeah and the prices used of Thinkpads are quite different between 'murica and the rest of the world.

>chiclet style keyboard
No thanks.

Please

Im actually going to be getting a 60% mech keyboard for playing WoW

Still decided on what to get.

Just waiting til my dock come in next week before I get the keyboard.

I dont need the dock keys correct? The listing I bought says "without keys"

I know you can use the keyboard

X230

It's better in every way except for having the new style keyboard and checking for genuine battery. Both can be fixed if needed by following instructions at github.com/hamishcoleman/thinkpad-ec

>x220 i5
>500GB hdd, 8GB ram
>$228
>guy says battery holds for 3 to 4 hours.
OR
>x230 i5
>128GB ssd 4GB ram
>$228 aswell
what do, need it mainly for writing when i fear taking my expensive laptop

Thanks but that doesn't help me in any way, I know that too. I'm also 90% sure the wristrests are mostly compatible. I'm mostly wondering whether there are any gotchas with stuff like the lid/hinges, ram/hdd covers, random screw placements that don't match up, etc.

x230. but what about its battery?

Idab is an autistic loser on a server full of autistic losers (wow vanilla private server players)

They are both world of warcraft

What are you talking about

funny joke?

I hope I will, just bought it.

>giving an autistic, screeching retard attention
Why, he can't even stay in a guild for longer than a week because he's an annoying piece of shit. It'd be best to ignore him.

When I have 40-50 people in a discord tonight, how about you drop by and tell us that?

Would you like to have an actual discussion, or continue making stuff up about me on the internet?

>calling ME autistic
>mfw

Are you suggesting I haven't been co-running Dopeboys for over 3 months now?

Not my fault I was suspended for 30 days, GMs added a rule about no twitch advertising, and ban me 10 hours later before I knew about it.

>let me prove how not autistic I am by continuing to be an autismo
AHAHAHAH

Why is everyone copying me?

I mention that the T440s is the best a few times and everyone gets angry.

Can anyone tell me why?

This is not me, but this.

Why is everyone so angry at me?

Says its 'good'

Like im literally about to go scoop another T440s. Found a used one in great condition, and it has the 12gb ram + i7.

Its less than $200 so i might just scoop and leave it on a dock.

i'd get it just for the SSD. however, if you're worried of battery life, you could get the x220, and then swap to a ssd instead. but then again, those "3 to 4 hours" might be fake

You're posting and causing zero quality drama posts while namefagging and you don't even know how to tripcode which just invites others to bait you.

Why don't you advertise your wow gayming stream thing a bit more so we could get you banned again?

I'm not even angry at you for shilling for T440. That's at least on topic.

1/5 since you at least made me respond

Wait, 3-4 hours are actually considered good? First time im looking at used laptops

>4GB ram soldered with no upgrade option
>haslel ULV cpu
Oh wow it's like X201 except with only half of the ram

Surprise! It doesn't have any without modding.

64343574 (You)
Take a fucking hint. Jesus christ dude. You are a turboautist obsessing over your model for WoW. I mean cmon, WoW? At least play runescape if you want to waste your life playing an MMO. You see all these people calling you out on your shit, yet you think they're the autists. How fucking delusional are you? Words cannot express just how disappointed I am, not only at you, but the /tpg/ community for replying to your shitty bait, and the janitors for not deleting every shill post you make.
>WoW
>CS:GO
>Reddit
>Streamer
>Discord
>Namefag
The embodiment of mentally ill, low IQ underage b&. So bad that even reddit doesn't like you. Take this moment to reflect on all the good things people have actually said about you. Sell your chinkpad and buy a gun to shoot what little brains you have in that mongrel head of yours.

no
repaste more

youre confused
thats the X1C
X240 only has one slot

Wait, is this your first run-in with Idab? I tried to warn y'all that he's very autistic.

No. I'm and I'll be making that post every thread until its in the sticky.

I don't think so. Friend got it for me for Christmas and said it just arrived late. Pretty sure they're just catching up.

I didn't get much of a confirmation from them though.

pretty cool
heres my X230 running mgstpp
sure
post link
>not flipping it for a T440p or a W530
?????????

Did you get an email stating that it had been shipped?

I got the confirmation from paypal, nothing else.

>Trashpad General

dumb frogposter

>heres my X230 running mgstpp

How did you manage that?

Step 1. Get an x230
Step 2. Install MGSV
Step 3. ???
Step 4. Profit

that's too complex user

Anyone use a lenovo T430? looking for a pretty decent yet cheap laptop for school, web design, maybe some recording.

Literally anything more recent than the xx20 series will do you well if you well, more important things are upgrading with a good ssd, battery and screen.

Overkill. Even an x201 could do all of that. When you're thinking about buying a laptop, you should really be thinking about battery life, size and weight. Not how good it is at note taking and writing html.
It's a fine laptop though, might be a little heavy than you'd like if you're already taking books around school. I'd recommend an x230. All things considered hardware wise, its just a smaller T430. Though the T430 has the advantage of an ultrabay battery for more battery life. Of course, that means more weight. People will say "dont get the xx30 series because of locked battery and keyboard" but you don't seem like a power user that would care for those things. Especially when you consider the xx30 series has support against the intel exploits.

I'm on T420. Question, lads...

Is it really easy to dual-boot on a Thinkpad? I've heard people say they have issues. I'm gonna do Windows 8.1 and Ubuntu or Debian.

How hot does your lappy get when gayming?

Dual booting is the same on every machine I've run into. Desktop or laptop. People only have issues because they install their distro first and windows later. Which will overwrite grub. Install windows first, then install linux later and it'll be fine.

*kisses you*

Thanks.

Only the T430s had the ultrabay battery.

Is there any way to avoid overscan/fuzzy picture when I try to output a 16:9 resolution to a TV over a DisplayPort-to-HDMI adapter? I have a T410 and this happens on all TVs unless I set it to 8:5, which fits the screen (pillarboxed). It seems paradoxical that a screen with (supposedly?) 1080 rows of pixels would be 1x1 at 1440x900 and fuzzy at 1920x1080.

How do you blacklist someone?

does having a locked battery change anything, can I still replace the battery?

no idea, but you dont need to blacklist me