KWin/X11 is feature frozen (for ever)

KWin/X11 is feature frozen (for ever)

blog.martin-graesslin.com/blog/2018/01/kwinx11-is-feature-frozen/

Other urls found in this thread:

plus.google.com/ MartinGräßlin/posts/Pw31EE21BXV
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Good that means stable.
Wayland is a meme, I suspect it'll be dead in 5 years.

>unironically needing more windowing features than in 1980

>1980s tech for your dual-gpu machine
Truer words have never been spoken and is why desktop linux is still a shitshow

because of people like

this shit, and windowmaker, look better than modern GUIs

As long as it keeps dumbfuck like (You) from using gahnoo+loonix, I'm all for ecks.argh.

This. They had a chance to undo the X11 cancer and instead they decided to be even more cancer than systemd itself. And after all these years there's yet to be a single distro that allows using wayland without manual thinkering with variables, seats and manually launching. Worse, everything that "runs on wayland" actually runs on the buggy piece of crap that is weston. As a result, there is input lag, but also random full-system-freezes that prevent even switching to other consoles. These problems have been known for years and never addressed though. Not to mention the only 2 DEs that support wayland depend on systemd either.

>it's old so it must be bad!

pottering?

>hurr you have to embrace software that's not even in beta state in your production machines because it's muh modern protocols!!!
Wayland is a meme, it showed a lot of promise in it's early stage but now it's just sad with the constant crashes and the horrid input support.
Gnome did the right thing pushing that crap as default to show how bad it really is.

KDE and Enlightenment doesn't depend on systemd.

I haven't used Wayland seriously yet

>technology from 1980 for your dual-gpu machine!
that's some bretty gud tech. it's very fitting of the legacy moniker.

>apt install olwm

>1980
>Initial release 1997; 21 years ago

Openwin came out in 89?

Wayland who?
>no wacom support
>no drag/drop support between qt apps - gtk2 - gtk3
>broken touchpad accelleration and scrolling
>broken multi touch
>no xrandr equivalent
No

>gayland

Fuck these hipster millennials and their wheel reinvention. My Ubuntu 16.04 running X is the best I've ever seen, no tearing, smooth and still has network functionality. X11 4 lyfe!

Does the wayland session work with novidia yet?

>hipster millennials
red hat soy-millenials

could have a nicer theme but it does indeed have enough features

>it's old therefore it must be good

nvidia doesn't care anymore

Next time you should include a snippet from the article so retards, who don't read the article, won't have to wonder and speculate why they're switching away from X11

>even more cancer than systemd
>yet to be a single distro that allows using wayland without manual thinkering with variables, seats and manually launching
>everything runs on the buggy piece of crap that is weston
>there is input lag, but also random full-system-freezes that prevent even switching to other consoles
>problems have been known for years and never addressed though
welcome to the freedesktop way

>1984 X window system protocol first published
>1987 version 11 of the protocol was published
>1991 XFree86, open source X11 compatible server was published for the x86 architecture
>1997 XFree86 was forked into X.org due to license disagreement
>2017 X.org is finally starting to lose ground against a new open source display server

I'd say that X11 protocol and the X.org implementation are quite solid for surviving this long. I'm using it _right now_

i bet 90% of their issues concern the touchscreen meme as X11 was clearly not designed for that.

otherwise X11 is more than mature and stable.

there you go, touchscreens. we d'ont care.

there is no way on X11 to e.g. fake a touchscreen" (so we must design a new display server from scratch for new applications e.g. touchscreens)

ahah go touch yourself then

It's pretty clear that X11 wasn't designed for tear free video either. I mean it works surprisingly often but it's not uncommon to notice tearing either.
>2018

u would say it's a mix of X11 and shitty proprietary drivers but you got a point.

I'm ok with wayland if it helps developers but please call back when it's mature. It lacks crucial features and is unstable as fuck, as a end user i'm not gonna troubleshoot it.

It happens on Intel driver too but thankfully quite rarely and only on some screens and/or multi monitor setup.

it works and is stable
I honestly don't know what else anyone could want from it

Memelightenmeme is not a DE and KDE depends on systemd.

For all the LARPers out there who don't understand why X is awful: itvision altervista org /why.linux.is.not.ready.for.the.desktop.current html
Under "software support" is a large list of Xorg's shortcomings.

>b-b-but le red hat is le ivil!!!1
Go and work on Mir, then. I'm sure a whole bunch of White® non-"pajeet" genius programmers like you can make it work. And yes, Mir was a very solid alternative with none of the Wayland shortcomings.

KDE does not depend on systemd. Most distro maintainers are lazy as fuck, however, and that's why KDE usually lists systemd as a dependency.

plus.google.com/ MartinGräßlin/posts/Pw31EE21BXV

it uses libinput which requires systemd-logind or elogind

X works fine, only OCD autismals and millennial know-it-alls care about that shit, to a regular user everything werks fine on Ubuntu.

>improved blur effect
it's coming baby
it's coming

>Mir was a very solid alternative with none of the Wayland shortcomings
Mir was fucking dropped, and is weirdly transforming itself into a wayland compositor.

>libinput which requires systemd-logind or elogind
No it doesn't, idiot.