Did I pick the wrong major

I'm in my second term at uni right now, and I'm feeling kind of discouraged. I'm getting an associates degree in electronic engineering, and I can't get past the nagging feeling that I made the wrong choice and should've done computer science instead. I looked at the syllabus for one of my classes, and I literally learned all of it 3 years ago in high school.

Not only that, but none of my classmates seem to care about electronics outside of class, so it makes it hard to talk to them and I just feel very isolated.

What should I do Sup Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

Sup
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I will say this as somebody who is on the same boat as you. I picked Accounting and Finance instead of Computer Science because the recent pajeet-like autismo influx the 2010-2020 decade got.

The CS major is either full of sjw's, obese and underweight basement dwellers, soyboys, hipsters with their 'iPhones iMac iPad' bullshitry. The females are either feminists or drug addict attention whores and the filthy unwashed, smelly, long nailed-esque type of young adults.
And this applies in a lot of modern day countries, including mine (Greece)

I was turbo autismo about it, I wanted to become a CS graduate but after a trip or two I completely changed my mind.

First things first, CS might seem like an evolving career path, but it's not. despite the so called 'flexibility' people are just re-inventing the wheel, which is bad. Secondly, an EE is the sweet spot in between technology and hobby. It's a lot more stable than CS. Where as in CS once you hit 38-47 no company would want to hire you, they will go for the younger generation because apparently you are 'outdated' and so is your knowledge. When in EE and some basic Business skills you can start your own Company.

So stay where you are my man, I'm glad I did. CS is not a skill, Programming is but not CS. EE is like a laser cootie cutter skill all on its own.

That being said, I would advice you to keep Programming under your sleeves, It will help you a long run in the future. I know it did to me.

Tl;dr. CS is shite. Learn programming as a hobby and advance your EE major, it's really underrated. And as far as technology goes, you might even be able to work for cutting edge technology, that might be where the future lies.

I did an electronics degree and now do a job where I work on both hardware and software. Currently trying to get my programming skills up to scratch.

Just get a job after uni which combines a bit of both. Pure CS jobs seem like shit and the work environment is full of pussies. The people on my course were generally ok but some of the comp sci ones I met were exactly like how the previous poster described.

You're literally me.

I did the same thing. I started College in CS and realized it has no advancement and it's all dead ends. You spend your entire life developing software so one day maybe you can manage a project. CS skills you can teach yourself and they pair nicely with my Accounting and Finance skills except my Accounting degree opens me up to upper management so i'm not an overworked code monkey forever.

EE is a great field, pair that with some programming skills and you'll become very valuable. All that's left is to work on your soft skills and you'll be able to build a great career. CS is turning into a meme degree very quickly.

not OP but Im in a similar situation. Im a computer engineering major and I'm just not enjoying any of my classes. I enjoy doing work outside of class and all, but the classes themselves are unbearably boring and I feel like I learn nothing. Is CPE as meme as CS or is it a good path to continue following?

Thanks guys, I'm feeling a bit better now, but I still need to find people I can share my interests with and I can work with

I was in a similar boat as you OP. Decided to read up on the industry and learn a bit of programming myself before making my final decision on if to switch to CS major. Realized I dodged a massive bullet by sticking with my degree instead of switching to CS. OP, CS is 100% a meme at this point, while EE is actual man's work. I agree with the others in this thread that you just need to find some friends who are passionate about EE and that you can talk to about it to revitalize your interest in it

Glad it's working out for you man! Management is really comfy. Have a great one my friend

>none of my classmates seem to care about electronics outside of class, so it makes it hard to talk to them and I just feel very isolated
Unless you go to a top 50 school for CS, that's gonna be the case for CS anywhere you go

I never had that problem in high school, most of my computer science classes in high school were full of people that worked on hobby projects all the time. There was even an attempt to start a gamedev club at one point (even though it didn't really work out).

>being so obsessed about success and materialistic stuff that you're willing to get into a job you hate and live where you don't want to just because "it's the right thing to do career wise"

Just get a job you enjoy and make enough money to live a normal life. You don't have to be the most successful person ever, just try to be happy and have enough money to do the things you want to do. Remember that you work to live, not live to work.

Electrical engineering is a fantastic choice. You won't be competing against Pajeet for jobs. There is actually a profound shortage of qualified EEs out there so you are basically guaranteed a high paying job when you graduate.

I wonder what pajeet EE work would look like. That being said, there are actually MORE engineering graduates than there are open positions.

IDK man. All I can say for sure is that all the electrical engineers around here, the guys that actually get their hands dirty designing and building systems are in short supply. I'd you just want to sit behind a desk all day it might be a bit harder.

This is true. How many people are salary cucks that work a lot more than 40 hours a week and also sit in traffic for an hour+ both ways on the commute?

Just sharing in case anyone is interested:
I'm studying automation engineering in college but i got a really well-paying internship working with computers because, you know, computer skills.
I was given the choice to switch to CS but i decided against it for some reasons:
1) CS as a course is absolutely saturated. Every college that can afford a computer has a CS course.
2) Tech industry doesn't really care about your graduation but rather your skills.
3) If i want to get the fuck out of the industry i can find a job as an engineer.
4) I'm not really missing that much from a CS course. I can learn everything (or at least 95% of it) on my own when i need it.

Try talking to the teachers a little bit more. At least where i live they can offer you a position as research helper or give you some projects to do on your own.
And your classmates most always won't give a flying fuck about the course, they are just there because it's the course they hate the less and they wanna graduate as soon as possible and get a mediocre job.
If you actually like EE (as a hobby), that will be a HUGE (and i mean HUGE) advantage later on. Hang in there!

>associates degree in electronic engineering
>associates
da fuck?
>should've done computer science instead
Just learn it yourself.
Sup Forums-science.wikia.com/wiki/Computer_Science_and_Engineering
>Not only that, but none of my classmates seem to care about electronics outside of class, so it makes it hard to talk to them and I just feel very isolated.
Same thing happens with 100% of CS students.

Fuck, that would have been amazing. I think I was one of three people who actually owned a computer and I graduated HS in 2004. I've yet to meet another person who had a skillset beyond knowing how to browse the internet. It's literally causing my soul to rot going 32 years of life without ever being able to truly relate and discuss computers on a level higher than "yah bro I use it for itunes and facebook"

>in superior EE
>wishes he was in inferior CS
I remember reading that Arnold cheated on his beautiful wife with an ugly maid, because when you eat steak everyday, you wish to try McD just to see what it is like.

>I looked at the syllabus for one of my classes, and I literally learned all of it 3 years ago in high school.
Because you are in your second term. It gets more challenging later on.

And if you love CS so much, you will get to learn programming in EE, too.

dude. you're getting an associate's degree. do you think an associate's degree in computer science is any better? Only thing your associate's degree is good for is applying the credit toward a bachelor's degree.

>tfw already on my fourth year of software engineering and reading this thread
fuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuck

>Second year software engineering
fuck
I could switch to something else but nothing is remotely interesting send help

You are both going to be fine.

...as long as you are picking up skills at college, and not just partying.

I only do what's required for me to pass my tests. Did I fuck up? I'm on a relatively good university if that matters.

Have picked up any skills that the workforce requires?

Yes? You will likely get a job.

No? Good luck.

I have no idea, I just do my assignments and pass my tests at university.

>I just do my assignments and pass my tests
That is what you did in primary and secondary school. You can work at McD with that.

You are at university. Let us suppose you are CS: You want to be hired as a programmer? You need to learn programming. Doing your homework and passing a test means that you memorized a few pages from your textbook. If I gave you a proper programming problem, can you solve it?

Or, to put it another way: You can take a few online quizzes about food and cooking. But if you have no real cooking skill, will you get a job as a chef?

But if you are passing your tests without cheating, and doing your assignments by yourself, then that is a good sign. You are probably in the top 50% then.

Computer science is miserable . Glad I switched out to pursue real dreams

>and I can't get past the nagging feeling that I made the wrong choice
you havent truly felt that until youre facing the realization that tomorrow, you get to go into a ~600ft long metal tube and go underwater for about a month.

>Doing your homework and passing a test means that you memorized a few pages from your textbook. If I gave you a proper programming problem, can you solve it?
The tests themselves are proper programming problems. Memorizing everything won't do you any good unless you know how to apply what you learned. They even let you use notes on almost every course as well because of this.
The fact that you had to ask me this question weirded me out to be honest. There are universities teaching software engineering that only rely on memorization? Seems weird to me.

>You are probably in the top 50% then.
Yes, I would say I'm right in the middle. Better than one half, but worse than the other half.

This is shockingly good advice. Am I on Sup Forums?

You probably won't learn much in a CS degree that's *actually* useful as a programmer. You also won't meet any women, nor any friends who aren't dweebs.

An accounting/business degree gives you flexibility, along with valuable knowledge for starting a business later.

An EE degree is fucking badass. The best programmers I've known have been EE majors. But they didn't go into EE because actual EE is probably boring and lower-paying than startup programmer salaries.

The ultimate would probably be an EE major with a business minor. You could program for a few years, dabble with a side business in the "maker" community, then move to management if you get burnt out on nerdy stuff.

Take it from me, college doesn't mean shit. You have to learn coding by yourself.

>Yes, I would say I'm right in the middle. Better than one half, but worse than the other half.
Push yourself to be in the top 10%. Hell, you are a Sup Forumsentleman: in CS you should be top 1%!

>The fact that you had to ask me this question weirded me out to be honest.
Sorry. I am used to undergrads being totally incompetent in all areas of life besides "partying".

Judging from some replies on here, it seems that a lot of you guys went to shit colleges teaching CS, because just from following CS studies you should be a competent programmer.

>Push yourself to be in the top 10%. Hell, you are a Sup Forumsentleman: in CS you should be top 1%!
I don't want to waste too much time into my studies, I want to do other things with my free time instead.
And getting to the top 10%, even top 1% is though. The guys at the top 10% are pretty competent and intelligent guys.
Are you american? No offense or anything, but what you are telling me really weirds me out. I mean
>I am used to undergrads being totally incompetent in all areas of life besides "partying".
Yeah, people party over here too, but most are competent in their studies as well.

>BS, MS in CS
>MBA
>comfy, overpaid job at one of the big 5
>hate every second of it and wish i was doing more hardware

Stay in EE, OP. Hope you're passionate about it though, I hear the hours are long.

I am SEA, where people party a lot less than USAins do in university.

That is to say: People here party less, but still suck at acquiring skills.

malays are shit though, so its to be expected

My plan is this: get better at programming, get a job, graduating, work as programmer for a while, get an MBA, start my own company.
What do you guys think?
Do you have your own business?

No you retard, they are all shit. There is a reason that FizzBuzz is an actual interview question.

>I looked at the syllabus for one of my classes, and I literally learned all of it 3 years ago in high school.
I'm in my senior year of CS and all my classes are graduate level, and most of the content is shit I accidentally learned fucking around with a side project 2 years ago.

Universities aren't good at their jobs anymore.

>FizzBuzz
I mean, my college is shit. But most people there wouldn't have a problem with that.

I can assure you that nobody from where I live would ever ask you to do that thing if you have the diploma. How the FUCK can you not pass FizzBuzz if you got into a REAL university? To name an example, you don't ask someone from MIT to do the FizzBuzz, so tell me where exactly are you finding all these shit universities. Are they public universities from your residential town or something? I really don't get it.

I have interviewed malays, chinese, and indians. Everyone is the same. From what I have read about Western graduates, absolutely everyone is the same: Go to college, mostly party, 99% acquire little to no skills or useful knowledge.

You folks are living in a pleasant fantasyland. The vast VAST majority of undergrads/recentlygrads cannot do FizzBuzz.

All the people saying CS major is saturated with soyboys, mac toddlers, basement dwellers, sjw females and pajeets... this is true for the entry level classes but (at least at my school) the last "entrance to major" CS class acts as a great filter. From my class maybe 10 people passed out of a class of 70+ people. It's only the non retarded pajeets (kinda an oxymoron but they exist), Asians and a few whites like myself who actually have a genuine interest.

>freshman in top 30 uni planning on CS major
This thread is unsettling...there’s nothing else I’m interested in to the point of majoring.

>The vast VAST majority of undergrads/recentlygrads from shit universities cannot do FizzBuzz.
Fixed.
I can assure you that any person who has graduated from a top 100 university can do FizzBuzz. Not even on your first test they would put something as easy as FizzBuzz (and I'm not even on a top 100 university).
I have no idea where you guys are from, but your education system seems broken as fuck.

Did you read the article that FizzBuzz came from?

Yes.
See
>The vast VAST majority of undergrads/recentlygrads from shit universities cannot do FizzBuzz.
wow!

Perhaps you will change your mind later, after some experience with colleagues.

You think people from MIT or any other top 100 university wouldn't be able to do the FizzBuzz?

How many interviews have you held, pal? I've literally watched professors struggle to implement what they teach. Do you consider UCLA a bad school?

That said, the interns seem almost universally better.

>entry into MIT changes human nature
I would trust a university degree IF and ONLY IF that university tests for skill, and let failing students fail. Maybe some top 100 unis do that. Good for them.

>has no idea about MIT
what the fuck is wrong with you

>I would trust a university degree IF and ONLY IF that university tests for skill, and let failing students fail.
>Maybe some top 100 unis do that.
i don't even, this is beyond retarded at this point