Since the dust has settled, why is 3d printing a fucking joke?

Since the dust has settled, why is 3d printing a fucking joke?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Direct_metal_laser_sintering
youtube.com/watch?v=YRXEY1fS7BI
skytorrents.in/info/ada2df3e0a2a86d7572e27510fa35b2b39f459d2/DS-SolidWorks-2017-SP3-Premium-SSQ/?l=en-us
dannychoo.com/en/post/27287/Smart Doll Plus.html
youtube.com/watch?v=NFvMC3l3fGY
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

3D printing is the coolest tech demo ever, and that's about it

Because it's too early.

It's not. You're just a brainlets that doesn't know how to design your own things so you get angry at your own ineptitude to use a great tool

have u faggots ever been in an R&D environment?

What do you make?

No. It's just that you're average neckbeard has no use for it other than his one time printing a case for his retroPi gameboy.

It's a joke for your everday consumer.

But it's actually amazing for prototyping stuff at home. Can save a lot of time and money.

Its only use case is prototyping

New parts for my 3d printer

>prototyping at home

get a fucking job

call me when it's possible to 3d print metals and silicone, i.e. when it's possible to print computer chips

>you wouldn't download a car

>metals and silicone
2001 called, they want you to read a fucking book

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Direct_metal_laser_sintering

I do it after work.

because people thought it would be an implement for the home that could basically make anything, when it's really really great for its intended purpose of prototyping and not much else

*call me when this is possible on consumer grade hardware

should have specified

>consumer grade

3d printing is a nice hobby; however i stopped printing large objects that take very long as these are likely to fuck up

no, I want one to make transformable toys, also fix/connect some small things

Because you can't afford serious 3D print technology

Because it can't print a brain for you lmao

Because real things and not toys are expensive to make and design of product takes engineringyears and millions of $ and retards thought they will be getting literall star trek replicators for 500$.They are getting more common in both rd and allow us for new design decisions just normies dont see that directly

>silicone
>computer chips

People really are stupid as fuck. There were all those queerbait hipsters saying that they were going to change everything and geeks bought it.

Plastic printers are good for designing stuff in CAD then interacting with it in real life to make design revisions. That is their purpose in life. It's freaking awesome you can buy one for $200.

>retards thought they will be getting literall star trek replicators for 500$
But it's current year!

don't call it 3d printing, it's additive manufacturing. 3d printing refers to a specific additive manufacturing process trademarked to Z-corp. However, 3d printing(tm) is a fucking joke as it can only make parts with the strength of chocolate.
Lol no, additive manufacturing is great for making low production run parts. Most aircraft these days have plastic widgets made with 3d printing. It costs less to make these plastic widgets this way than to machine them. It's also great for making parts you can't make any other way, big jet engine manufacturer has been using a metal additive manufacturing process to make metal widgets that can't be made any other way for a couple years now. These metal widgets are lighter than can be produced with machining, while requiring less labor.

well the bottom hasn't fallen out yet. printers are still a bit too pricey. I want one to make cheap plinkers.

No, like most everyone.

It's not though, I've printed heaps of shit that I use

Can you give examples and also explain why just going to the dollar store wouldn't be the better option?

not the same fag but you can't buy 10/22 receivers and parts at a dollar store

Well, I printed cable ties, I printed a chassis for a bluetooth speaker I made for a friend and a desktop speaker for my dad, I've printed cable holders on my desk to keep my chargers and shit more organised, I printed a new HDD enclosure after I dropped and cracked the old one.

It's just easy, download the stl from thingiverse and just turn your printer on.

I'm currently trying to make my own model for a mini desk fan using a stock Intel CPU.
Sure, it's not necessary, but I think it's cool and I like that I can make my own stuff. I'm a bit of a diy fan and this has been a great first step into the hobby.

Can't you make guns with these?

Yes. Effective ones that look like fisher price toys.

yes. 100% legal in the free states of the USA

right now you can't really print any that holds up with center fire rifles cartridges like an ar15 (you can but they break after a few mags). Fun rimfire stuff holds up pretty good though.

youtube.com/watch?v=YRXEY1fS7BI

>this is when 3D printing died

great for businesses, not really for individuals.
good thing most libraries near me have at least one available by appointment

are cheap cnc mills better for that sort of thing? notice a lot of chink sites have desktop models for sale

Worked for a company that made industrial equipment and they spent $500k on a huge 3D printer to make parts prototypes.

It turns out what's even better than shitty useless plastic prototypes is just having a model in solidworks and showing people that. Only marketeers and sales guys are too stupid to visualize what something will look like in reality.

I hear it only gets used as a meme to show clients how high tech the company is now. It hasn't been used for anything else but demos in 3 years.

Not but I use my 3D printer (that cost 200 AUD) to make D&D miniatures, and its much cheaper than buying them

Depends on what your using them, the avg normie is going to print a benchie and some stupid toys and call it a day.

If your using it for prototyping or a certain use case, it gets used every single day.

Been doing well enough with sales of scatter terrain for D&D and war gaming stuff that I have enough money set aside to get another machine outside of the "consumer" space machines.

I don't see how people can think this. Being able to create shit just by feeding a string of plastic into a machine is pretty fucking useful

It's a meme, just like VR, Crypto currency, drones, and AI

I know of a guy who makes 3D-printed accessories for automotive interiors.

I also know of people who use 3D printing to verify that the model they have actually fits correctly. e.g. a custom brake caliper bracket. Better to find out you screwed up your measurements the next day than a a whole month later, when your spec-manufactured parts arrive.

Because they one's that you can afford can't do anything other than plastic

for what making guns? yes. technically if you want to build an ar15 all you need is a even cheaper drill press. You buy an 80% lower and use the drill press to make it 100%. its not the prettiest way of doing it but i leaves you with a strong and reliable ar15 lower. this does not require a background check but you can't legally sell it when you're done. so you can't just crank out a bunch of lowers to sell to tyrone. also buying 80% lowers in bulk could throw a flag.

printing a 10/22 (like the one in the pic ) would be fun as fuck but it's still cheaper just to buy a 10/22 even if you had access to a free printer. If you printed the reciever you would still need to buy the barrel, trigger assy, bolt assy, stock, magazine and other random hardware. the rifle cost 200-20 bucks on sale and the total for those prats can go over 250. printing guns in general is more of a gee whizz thing.

I thought I was the only one.

but user 3d printing is how dragon dildos are made

If you are not currently using your 3D printer to create robot parts for your own custom robots you should leave Sup Forums RIGHT NOW.

Using sketchup, disgusting

The dust has not settled. The technology need a lot more development.

Gee whiz, sorry Mr. Moneybags; Not all of us can afford the tens of thousands of dollars for a single solidworks license.

>I don't know what torrents are
I haven't even tried 3D modeling myself and have had Solidworks for weeks

This. 3d printer is very useful for my custom drone/robots/mechatronics.

If you don't want to torrent, Fusion 360 is free to hobbyist and startups, onshape is free, blender is free, sculptris is free.

But yeah torrent solidworks / inventor and maya and zbrush

Fuck man I've been looking for an up to date torrent of NX for months now. Anybody got a source?

I torrented solidworks, works fine for me in a windows 7 VM, so basically I can use it forever. OpenSCAD is ok-ish too.

I've had to sculpt some action figure thing for promotion int he past which they printed in parts and put back together so it wasn't a tiny 3d print model, it was bigger than your hand. So it does work.

That said my friend fell for the Chinese printer scheme where he thought he could set up a business by putting together this lose printer from China, he could then print his own parts of the machine to sell more machines, which sounded extremely stupid and I just can't understand that he thought he could make it work as a business. I think it couldn't even fit or something.

I used this one skytorrents.in/info/ada2df3e0a2a86d7572e27510fa35b2b39f459d2/DS-SolidWorks-2017-SP3-Premium-SSQ/?l=en-us

Hi

Why don't we gather fellow 3d printer/robot anons at IRC (for example #simwaifu @ irc.freenode.org ) or somewhere else? consumerist Sup Forums is a very boring place

>silicone

>he doesn't want to print dragon dildos from the comfort of his home

I meant irc.freenode.net ofc

>he cannot design his mechanical parts and print/machine them
>he cannot design/assemble electronics
>he cannot apply control theory to his robot
>he cannot apply modern machine learning to give robot interesting/useful behavior in realistic environment

What can he even do, our average Sup Forums denizen? A webapp? I can do one as well, after all it's my boring remote job

TLDR: Sup Forums is full of plebes

Quick!
Should I get malayan m200, mini fabrikator v2 or something else?

>you get angry at your own ineptitude to use a great tool
grammar.exe

>Control theory
>machine learning
>interesting useful behavior in realistic environments

Congrats you just built pic related for hundreds if not thousands of hours and a thousand dollars in parts, machines, tools, and equipment. Cobbling together a pile of shit that doesn't work all the time because it has a loose soldered connection and bad code you "borrowed" from some random ass website.

Do you realize how much of a fag you are yet?

I love 3d printing, but that is not an appropriate application of the technology.

I just want to make 3D waifus. Why can't they do 3D waifus yet?

You can. You just don't deserve an Onahole. Creep.

you can retard

wake me up when 3D SLS metal printing is affordable for consumers

Its going to take a long time for good results, they are power hungry, they are fairly dangerous and harmful for your health.

>he is bad at soldering
>probably doesn't have a steady hand, doesn't know the temperature regiment of his solder alloy and flux
>he is bad in control theory and ML

>just generally bad at engineering

plz go write your node webapp

You can make one, but you will have to paint it yourself. Also, you will need supports enabled so it will require you to remove the support beams that keep your model from falling over while it is being created. You can use printers that use multiple filament at once, but to get the nice shading effects you will have to still paint. Also, those printers cost more money, so I would stick with a single filament printer, and just stick with a plain color such as white, and fill in the details with a small paint brush.

Yes they can dannychoo.com/en/post/27287/Smart Doll Plus.html

Or for figures like that just use SLA or DLP stuff like that is where they shine. Yeah still have to paint and the running costs are higher but good god the resolution they get.

>he doesn't know about water soluble polyvinylalcohol support material

just set up your kossel to use dual extruder, one ABS and one PVA and slice your model properly

ABS and HIPS would be better

This but with some caveats.

A good proper 3D printing costs a bit of fortune. But a generic plastic 3d printer is still good for hobbyists. A proper metal 3d printer is still few years away.

PVA isn't really compatible with ABS unless you're using some lower temp ABSS

thx for advice

It's perfect for rapid prototyping you neanderthal.
I woke in aerospace and having a plastic prototype tool made in 2 days is a god send.

>what is tinkercad
>what is openscad
>etc
>etc

>joke
youtube.com/watch?v=NFvMC3l3fGY

this.
I'm an industrial designer. We have three 3D printers and they are constantly in use for prototyping and visual model making. Not having them would be a pain in the ass. They're not much use to the average normie though.

retards think it was created for the average consumer. KYS
It is like asking why MRI scanners are a joke just because they are not used at home but hospitals

See:

Is a 3D printer good for making shit like custom laptop enclosures? I want to get a Raspberry Pi Zero W and put it inside a smartphone type of case.

Yes

Because all we're using to print is plastic. Would be better with a greater number of materials to print with.

>Since the dust has settled, why is 3d printing a fucking joke?
Because like RPi people who had no use for them, or had a use case that would have been better met by another tool like a vacuum former for instance where buying them.

>It's just that you're average neckbeard has no use for it other than his one time printing a case for his retroPi gameboy.
This, and normalfags think that all you need is a 3d printer to print a final product without anysteps in between 3d print to final fully functional product.

So what's an easy and free CAD software to design stuff for 3D printers and of course easily print them afterwards? I'm willing to learn more, but I'd like to get a solid grasp of basics for now. There's 1 printer at my university library that's free as long as I bring my own materials and sing up a week beforehand.

The biggest problem is that people pushed 3d printers as if they would become a consumer appliance like paper printers. The average person lacks the skill set to design useful objects. Unless CAD knowledge becomes as common as word processor knowledge, 3d printing will never be in every home. It isn't a realistic expectation anyway.

The other retarded thing are the people who rag on 3d printing because it's plastic, the implication being that printed objects are too weak to be useful. Think about all the plastic things you use everyday. How many could you snap in half if you tried? I could probably break half the things I own with my hands if I tried, yet they continue to exist unbroken because I'm not a retarded monkey. You can't 3d print an engine but that doesn't mean the tech is useless.

Fusion 360

the materials arent there yet, when you will be able to mold material thats tougher than steel then we talking

It's not a joke if you're actually an engineer who would benefit from being able to produce highly accurate prototypes in a fraction of the time it would take to get it otherwise produced. Sure, the $300 shit box you ordered off aliexpress produces garbage, but professional printers like ones from stratasys produce parts that are incredibly precise. If you were expecting to press a button and receive a glock or a car that's your fault.

Isn't solidworks a lot harder to use, compared to to stuff like sketchup?

It seems like it has a lot more features, and the UI in general seems more complicated and intimidating than sketchup

ikr

Because it's not a necessary technology. People made plastic toys (parts) for like 50 years before these memes came out.