/cc/ Christian Computing

In this thread we discuss how technology can make you a better Christian.

We also discuss why the GPL is a perfectly Christian software license in line with the teachings of Jesus.

youtube.com/watch?v=f4PTezCVqOg

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/channel/UCIuK0g2IASC08v5jyVQh0Ig
youtube.com/watch?v=tUM85JM6AqA
youtube.com/watch?v=t-nZVELmFcE
youtube.com/watch?v=kcRFYGr1zcg
youtube.com/watch?v=Lgcd6jvsCFs
youtube.com/watch?v=D3MWVMKKY3A
youtube.com/watch?v=gd3-rPjym1k).
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Christians_in_science_and_technology#Others]
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Base32
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

the gpl license is inferior to the bsd licence as a representation of jesus’ teachings, it is more unconditional, like His love.

BSD license is capitalist and therefore anti-Christ

Some things to note:
1. Christianity is not communism. Though Christ warns in his teachings that "you cannot serve both wealth and God" (wealth as in material possession, including money) he also teaches us to be frugal, such as in his parable of the talents (talents during his time were a unit of silver, 10 coins or something).
2. Nice Jesus is a myth, Jesus is Just and Kind, but not nice. He will whip your ass if you try to jew the church.
3. If you aren't a pauline christian, you aren't a christian at all.
4. Universalism, Progressivism, Subjectivism, and Apathy are all cancers of the spirit. You can't go to heaven if you are a "nice person" because that is not just. Christ didn't teach shit about white-splaining and so forth because that was NOT the point. Christianity and Christian principles are objectively better than achmed's goat-fucking theology, and pagans are the religious fedora.

As a good Rule of thumb, Anglican and Methodist is the kind of Protestant you want to be around, because they are the kind of Protestant with the strongest apologetics and the most based community.

>vapid depiction of thing I don't like with biased cherry-picking text
>high and might depiction of thing I like with biased cherry-picking text
Fuck off Christcuck. Your dead Jew on a stick is the worst thing to ever happen to the world.

Your jew on a stick is irrelevant to computing

>bsd
>being a cuck for big corp
>being a cuck for the devil too

Cant wait until we reach singularity. It will be the day all religions die. Because we have nothing to be afraid of anymore.

>Fuck off Christcuck. Your dead Jew on a stick is the worst thing to ever happen to the world.
>acts just like the meme
Guess that guy's right. I've decided to convert to Christianity because of you

Catholicism is the best because it supports technological progress and research.

Creationists are cancer.

The singularity likely will never happen to the extent you hope it will assuming consciousness is not the epiphenomena of interactions between neurons.
Though i would hope this is obvious since there is a lot of difference between a brain and a computer, rather than just "chemical interactions". For one thing computers can never exceed a base-32 counting system, but the human mind can easily exceed a base-60 counting system, theoretically the human mind can go to base-infinity assuming we can come up with enough symbols to represent each unique integer. For another, AI is a very advanced calculator (i should know since i do AI research), so it can take data and associate data, but it can't comprehend the data. This is why even the most advanced AI cannot distinguish a human from dog, a walrus, or a monkey. The AI in movies are just that, movies. Anything but reality.
>nothing to fear
lol user, fear cannot be erased, and you will never be protected from that which can harm you. If you are an AI i could just hack your brain and wipe your personality, which would cause just as much fear as the fear of getting alzheimers and forgetting who you are. Fear will always be there, because you will always be vulnerable to the evils of this world. Only way to escape fear and dread is by placing your faith in something. You place faith in the idea that you will not die in your sleep every single night, and never even realize it. Its what lets you sleep, you trust your body not to stop mid-snore. Likewise, having faith in God gives you confidence that no matter what evils you face, it will never be so great that it cannot be overcome.

I always write essays, perhaps i should write a book or something?

Creationsim is what you get from biblical literalism, no denying that its a cancer.
>Catholicism is the best because it supports technological progress and research.
I agree. Catholicism also has a pretty damn good apologetic history, i would reccommend reading the church fathers before you die, definitely something to put early on the bucket list.

that guy on the right seems pretty cool desu

>faith in the idea I won't die in my sleep every night
No user, that's not faith. It's biological imperative. If I did die mid-sleep it's because something is/was wrong, not because I didn't have faith.

Wow, that picture is shocking if true.

>Christian
>Humble
You obviously have never had any disagreement with any Catholic ever.

god doesnt exist

How many programmers are actually religious? The only one I know off the top of my head is Donald Knuth.

That's a harsh stance to take because you're making a positive claim, which you then need to prove. It's more reasonable to say "I do not believe in God" then there is no positive claim being made

Great!
I would suggest reading some apologetic literature in this order:
- C.S. Lewis (mere christianity)
- C.S. Lewis (screwtape letters)
- St. Thomas Aquinas (Summa Theologica)
- St. Augustine of Hippo (The City of God [Against the Pagans])

If you want something more entertaining and visually stimulating, then I recommend Missing the Mark, and CSLewisDoodle:
youtube.com/channel/UCIuK0g2IASC08v5jyVQh0Ig
youtube.com/watch?v=tUM85JM6AqA
youtube.com/watch?v=t-nZVELmFcE
Be warned, he goes off on a lot of tangents since none of his videos are scripted.
youtube.com/watch?v=kcRFYGr1zcg
youtube.com/watch?v=Lgcd6jvsCFs
youtube.com/watch?v=D3MWVMKKY3A

t. didn't finish reading
user, faith isn't just about believing something, it is about trusting something. Be it your Body, your Mind, or God.

Daily reminder that God is perfectly just.

Faith has spiritual connotations, trust does not. Frankly, I don't want to have faith in a deity that refuses to take blame for the bad shit it created while hogging all the glory for the good shit. I don't have faith that my body won't just stop working overnight, but I trust that I'm healthy enough that it won't.

Every person is at fault of 1 of the 7 vices (lust, greed, envy, gluttony, etc). As kin of spirit we should be sure to remind but not rub in their err. Just let them know that pride is the deadliest of the vices, even if it's pride in the Church. Certainly one should boast of their God, for who can see his works and not boast? But one should not boast of fallible things like the church or the self, for those have many reasons to not be praised.
"Blessed are they shall inherit the earth"
Also, remind them that though the catholic church has good theology, it is not infallible and has made mistakes in the past large enough to split the church (namely, the Protestant schism).

--760 is right --713, if you wan't to smuggle your argument past someone merely disguise it as an opinion, thus its a trap to argue against it since an opinion is a non-sequitur, and thus to argue against it would be to argue against a brick wall.

if it were. but it's just fake news

having no belief is the default. If you want someone to believe what you're saying they should believe, you need to provide evidence for the belief, assuming they're not just following whatever you're saying at face value. My stance would turn on a fucking dime if I had sufficient evidence to allay my doubts. I cannot claim to say "God doesn't exist" or "God does exist" because I have no evidence and those are both positive claims. There is not enough evidence for the existence of God to overcome the doubts I have of such an entities existence. That is all.

>unironically worshipping local flavor #74931-B of arbitrary recycled iron age jew god

>Faith has spiritual connotations
absolutely true, but that does not mean it represents the only meaning behind the word. Telos is greek for Spirit, Purpose, God, and alot of other things, does that mean it only means one of those? Its the abstract idea behind the word that counts.

For the purpose of argumentation i shall take the two definition of it and splice them together:
faith - complete trust or confidence in someone or something, including but not limited to God.

>that refuses to take blame for the bad shit it created while hogging all the glory for the good shit
so you're that type of anti-christian?
Let me lay this out: Evil requires intentionality, so a hurricane isn't evil since it is simply the action of an unthinking force called weather. Conversely murder requires the intent to murder and the action of murder. So we will be ruling out Natural Evil as a type of Evil, since it has no intentionality behind it.
Lets say you make a wrench right? Its intended purpose is to screw bolts in, however it can be misused to bludgeon a rat when in the wrong hands. Now the fault is on whoever used the wrench to bludgeon the rat, not on you. Yes you made the wrench, but you did not tell the person who borrowed it to bludgeon the rat.
Likewise, God created all things to be used a certain way, but then gave humanity self-agency. Since humans have self-agency, they can abuse what God created and misuse it. Thus the evils caused by humans are the fault of humans.

With those two evils off God's back, what evil is he responsible for which he created?

>P.S: gonna be back soon, off to shoot some .22's and then read some Twain.

So you're saying your agnostic?
Fair stance, Logically one cannot argue for or against the existence of God from a materialistic standpoint, since the basic assumption that all things are material is incompatable with the assumption that there are non-material things. The outcome of stance depends on if you believe all things are material or if there is more to reality than that.

Please don't polute FOSS with retarded ideologies, thank you.

I'm not anti Christian, I like Christians, they're usually nice people. Please don't try to label me so quickly, especially since it's in a negative way.
I'm not talking about natural types of evil, I'm talking about the mindset behind the creation to begin with.
A god who is so powerful as to be able to do anything, who is also so powerful that it knows everything that will ever happen, is wrong to punish people for not doing as it commands. It knew what we were going to choose, and it is wrong morally, to me, to punish someone (not even for the eternity we get threatened with by some) for them doing something you knew with absolute certainty they would do
I am indeed agnostic. I'd like to think there is more than the physical and energy that we see, maybe there is in higher dimensions. However, every mystery every solved turned out to be not magic. To claim "unsolved still, therefore God did it" is silly because again there is no evidence. in addition, to prove the existence of such an entity, you need to first rule out every single thing that is not God and then find the parameters for God to make it so, if that makes sense. Souls might exist, but we need to rule out they're not of higher dimensions (which we will maybe be able to look into, test, and experiment on in the future) before saying "they must be from heaven"

lol
>what is yahweh telling the Jews to kill all the Amalekites
>what is inventing thought crimes
>what is "hardening pharaoh's heart" and having free will at the same time
3/8 troll, made me reply.

I meant anti-christian in the sense that you are antithetical to it (or so i assumed).
>the mindset behind creation
>is wrong to punish people for not diong as it commands.
Oh neato, a new argument to address!!
so the "adum dindu nuffin" argument?
Ok, so like i pointed out before with the wrench example the wrench is your property, right? So if someone uses your property in a way you did not want them to, then does that mean you are at fault if you reprimand them for it? Of course you are not at fault for repremanding them for abusing your property, since it is an offence against you, then they would need to pay you back in some way. This is the principle of justice: someone does an offence against you (either against your person directly or indirectly) and as a result they owe you something to settle that debt. Likewise, when mankind abuses God's creation by abusing each other or by misusing what he intended for good for evil, then he is the one being offended by that action. Now, God can forgive the offence between us and him directly, for he is a loving God. But when we hard a third party (another person) then God cannot wipe that debt away since that isn't how justice works. Thus the Crucifixion (see youtube.com/watch?v=tUM85JM6AqA for more details).
----Part 1/2---->

Now adam and eve were given free will and were capable of self-agency when they were created in the garden. That is the problem: why did God create us with the capacity to make our own choices. You tell me: is it more merciful to bestow the gift/curse of free will or to create automatons that act exactly as you tell them to unable to think on their own?
God had no need to create the universe to begin with and yet he did create it. Why? I honestly don't know, i'm not him so i couldn't know. I would like to think that God created mankind knowing that self-agency made our love and goodness genuine, and that the good of creating us outweighed our own evil. I think that God's punishment against evil is justified since justice is in his nature, though why i am not sure, I know that he takes no pleasure from the suffering of the wicked.
God is a mystery, that much i know for certain.

It's late, i think i'll hit the bags soon. I really would reccomend researching some apologetics from better men. There really is an IMMENSE abundance of Christian apologetics, none of these questions are new. So simply "seek and ye shall find."

>He will whip your ass if you try to jew the church.

Claims like this, which honestly are intuitively backed up by a quick parsing of new testament are what always made it truly hard, nowadays impossible for me to attribute any divine essence to Christianity.

Church was supposed to be THE WAY of living for mankind on earth - was suppsoed to be a place where you changed your mind entirely and became a whole being... yet overwhelming majority of its leaders since 3rd century AD were corrupt and cared little about the ideal described in bible.. more about power and comfort..

outside of witch hunts, crusades and inquisitions, opossition towards liberal democracy - it's fine I guess

>maybe there is in higher dimensions
see, when i said beyond physical i meant beyond physical. Though principles like boolean logic (1 or 0 = 1) and fundementals of mathematics (1 + 1 = 2) exist both in and outside of physical reality, God himself exists outside of it, since he has no corporeal form (save for the vicarious manifest of the Christ). Higher dimensions are still physical in nature. I'm talking real abstract shit.

>"unsolved still, therefore God did it"
No one is claiming that, why did you bring it up? Since you brought it up i'll just say that God is the cause of all things, interpret that as you will.

>you need to first rule out every single thing that is not God and then find the parameters for God to make it so
Or we could be far more efficient and just use the definition for God that has always been? God is understood, even since ancient times, to be the prime mover of existence, the cause of all causes, the action behind all actions. The thing which existed before space, time, energy, or matter ever did. The thing that made existence itself. God is God, an entirely unique case in existence with no cause and which causes all things. Some retards might ask "durr, what cause God?!?" but that's a terrible argument for a whole host of reasons that i am too tired to list. I would recommend doing the research yourself if you aren't too lazy.
Anyways, i find it absurd that you think we need to rule out everything that isn't something to define what that thing is, when (as the positivist scientists of years past) just defined a unique thing based on the properties they know it has or subscribe it to have. We didn't rule out everything that wasn't the Lorenz force to find the Lorenz force; we observed it, named it, and then examined it to learn more about it, making guesses as to what it is along the way. "one does not need to drink the whole sea to know that it is salty," my friend.

Jews have it explained like this:

God, created many worlds - maybe infinite words.

The world we reside in is the lowest of the lowest - where death also happens.

Adam and Eve were created in Heaven - an upper world, where God resides and dialogues as a person with creations.

God proposed to Adam and Eve - to adventure so to speak in the lowest of the words and transform it into a holy place.

Adam and Eve accepted, God took them all the steps down into flesh - except let them decide if they truly wanted that, Eve realized that they were not yet into the lowest of the lowest worlds - because they were not dying yet so she convinces Adam to eat from the apple which was a symbol for their free-choice.

All this is nice and beautiful, but impossible to believe in the light of natural evolution, genetic diversity and the long spans of time in which our genus shaped into what it is - we're clearly not descending from two beings which suddenly materialized into this reality.

And forgot to add - the point of them going to that shitty state of death and surround by a broken reality was so that they would have the oportunity to return back to God - which in Heaven, said status is superior to holy beings created holy from beggining.

You realize that with any movement there are leeches who hop on once it gets popular enough to ride off it? Once Christianity became popular enough, all sorts of families convinced their children o join the church since it provided such good education and job security, which in turn ended up flooding the church with those who were there more for money than for Christ.
You aren't alone in the sentiment against the corruptors, if you look at the history of the church you will find that much of the dissatisfaction that turned many followers from the church was the corruption. This dissatisfaction directly led to the protestant revolution.
Don't worry though, God shall renew the church evermore even in dire times. There will always be an element of corruption from the worser individuals, but i beleive that any follower who looks to follow the example the chruch fathers, the apostles, paul, and chirst set shall surely live the christian life.
Seek out places only the devout christian would go, and you will easily find those woolen beings of blessed nature.

>witch hunts
which were poorly justified under a shitty reading of the old testament by those who sought to get rid of their neighbors.
>crusades
which were the product of the romantacised idea of the godly knight which had developed for some years, as well as the concept of Just War (which developed when Christians had to figure out how to run their own country) and a push back against the Islamic tide that was encroaching on their shores, and which had ransacked the church of peter only 10 years before!!
>Inquisitions
this was condemned by the pope and every christian at the time, it was more of a governmental move to gain control under the guise of a barely christian act. So i'd say Christianity wasn't the motive and was more so the facade used.
>Liberal Democracy
liberal democracy has failed us, watch as the world abandons the idea completely.
>it's fine
understatement

Funny thing is that in all of these cases Christianity was used as a reason or excuse, but was never the motivation. And the causes behind these acts were more complex that "Christianity did it". Because (surprise, surprise) Christianity isn't Islam.

Good for you, but I'm not Jewish and don't use Jewish explanations to understand the mysteries of God.
Anyways, that entire idea assumes some heirarchy to reality, whereas i subscribe to the foundation model (see youtube.com/watch?v=gd3-rPjym1k).

You probably aren't here anymore but from a list on wikepedia that took a quick google search, if i include terry davis then that makes 10 in total (of the outstanding ones).
[en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Christians_in_science_and_technology#Others] + (ctrl+f: computer)

>For one thing computers can never exceed a base-32 counting system, but the human mind can easily exceed a base-60 counting system, theoretically the human mind can go to base-infinity assuming we can come up with enough symbols to represent each unique integer.
Unique fagot. Learn long arithmetic dipshit.
>base-32
You are either meaning base-2^32 and you are retarded then or
you are meaning literally base-32 and you are retarded.

I know this is bait but some people genuinely thing these are good arguments so i thought i would make a point out of it, as quickly as possible, with as little effort as possible.
>what is yahweh telling the Jews to kill all the Amalekites
the amalekites fucking smashed their children with rocks, i too would kill those fuckers. Do your research and soon you will see just how justified they were to go to war against these fuckers.
>what is inventing thought crimes
anyone who has spent enough time around people will know that we are not trustworthy on our own. Therefore the christian idea of stopping the behaviours that lead to evil came. Prevention is better than cure. Therefore the 7 vices (aka: 7 deadly sins) was proposed to give a rule of thumb as to what to avoid. IT is not thought crimes since you are punished for the way you think which neither God nor Christians do.
>what is "hardening pharaoh's heart" and having free will at the same time
pharaoh hardened his heart enough times already. Besides it being interpreted as the acts of God hardening pharohs heart (Jim hardened jacks heart can mean either that jim inadvertently hardened jacks heard (passive hardening) or actively did it (active hardening)), its also possible to see that after all the evils pharoh had done to Israel, God decided to balance the debt and give him back everything he gave them (including the death of the first-borns).

The only retard here is you.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Base32

Christfag here.
Going to bed, review my postings because i made sure to include all you needed in them.

Has someone tried to do what Terry does but unironically? Maybe create a programming language in Latin, write an OS that has useful features, etc.

Sup Forums is a Christian board now.

Sup Forums had always been a christian website. Until after the underaged edgy fedora tippers came in 2008++ and became the vocal minority.

user reading your replies changed something in me, been 1 - 2 hours already - yet I still feel comfortable inside and have a little more hope when it comes to existence.

Keep it going I praise your for your virtues in dialogue - you're truly empathic, you're touching points that I care about or spent months - years thinking about.

FOSS is Christian and just

My point stands solid.

Tge burden of proof is on you to show me some empirical, scientifically reproducible evidence right now that you don't believe in God, or I reject your claim. You really expect me to accept such a statement on mere faith?

>computers are good
>therefore sodomy is good

The fact that this argument is disguised as a straw man only makes it worse.

>Creationsim is what you get from biblical literalism, no denying that its a cancer.
What's the point in religion if it's dogmatic literature contains obvious falsification then?