/ddg/ dumpster diving general

What have you dumpsterdived Sup Forums? ANyone here get rich by finding 1st line of SNES? Do you upgrade your thinkpad with RAM from dumped laptops? Were you ever chased by security guards? Is dumpster diving legal in your area?

Other urls found in this thread:

trashwiki.org
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I'm not a nigger.

where would you even find good tech stuff in dumpsters?
I'm definitely interested in the concept though

never really made it a hobby but I got some furniture from next to the dumpsters a few times including my current desk

Depends what do you define as good tech stuff. People do throw away many different things. If you live in a big enough city you can find phones, laptops, keyboards (for example model M near university dumpsters) consoles from different periods of time. Some analog amps, ancient computers. Some of that shit can be worth quiet a lot.

I would advise checking dumpsters near:

- rich burguese areas as they tend to throw away stuff just becaouse it get a little scratch or there just came a newer version.

- univ dumpsters - books, old vintage hardware like model M, model F etc.

- areas that concentrate offices, the best would be IT companies, and have dumpster freely standing with open access. They can dump prototype developer boards, computer accessories, thinkpads etc

On youtube there is tons of videos of people dumpsterdiving things all around the world. The more 1st world country you live in the better stuff you will find.

Go behind any computer store that recycles

>imlying I'm not aware of that "trick"

That's a good dumpster.
>What have you dumpsterdived Sup Forums?
In my life I've found a tandy on the curb on trashday when I was a kid.
A huge CRT tv that I cannabalized for parts, and that's pretty much it.
>ANyone here get rich by finding 1st line of SNES?
no
>Do you upgrade your thinkpad with RAM from dumped laptops?
No, I've been an idiot. and just bought ram.
>Were you ever chased by security guards?
no, but I'm not a serial dumpster diver.
>Is dumpster diving legal in your area?
I believe that it's legal as long as the trash/dumpster isn't on private property, so if it's on private property like at the edge of a yard/driveway then it's considered trespassing, and theft, but if it's on public property like in the street then it's a free for all.

>Live in 3rd world EU country
>People have to pay for used computers and parts and recycling is a pajeet high-tier and computer markets are like huge Chinese or South African "recycling" plants with parts from 10+ years ago being still resold.
>Private advertisements and auctions sell computer at 3/4ths of price of new devices.

I envy you Sup Forumsuys.

thanks
I might try it out
I live in a pretty big city so I think I might be able to find some good spots
gotta do some research

Get a head torch light in case you would do diving in late hours and a pair of decent thick gloves for protection of hands always.

>Live in 3rd world EU country
Poland, Baltics, Ex-Yugoslavia? :D

trashwiki.org

Only so few responses? So Sup Forums is too much of basement dvellers to actually dumpster dive? I knew it.

Have found some good stuff over time, guitar amp, PS3, laptops, gaming PC with a 250GB SSD, getting a I7 975 X58 system ready for sale atm, ohhh and tons of ethernet cables, of the clip breaks it just goes in the trash, not like the plugs and tool cost less then a new cable, even found a ethernet crymp tool.

I would dumpster dive but it isn't an option here. People use locked rooms for trash, and in the off-chance that it's a container outside, it's locked.

that said i have grabbed some stuff in the rare occasion that I have access to a recycling room.

I went through a dumpster diving phase when I saw some vlog about it and was unfortunately encouraged by some lucky finds on my first outing (found a working ps3 controller that had cat piss or something all over, just needed cleaning)

But after a few more times, this time with ho-hum finds, I realized that it is not actually a cool, underrated hobby. No, you really are a skeevy nigger when you do this shit. It's disgusting not only the mental state one has to be in to think that digging through refuse has any merit, but to think that the time and effort you spend to get something that still pales in comparison to just buying thing or making do without it is something else. Unless you are in truly dire straits, don't do it, and even if you are, Don have any misconceptions that you aren't a dirty freak

>inb4 pissed off hobos try to convince us they aren't

which country?

In my part of europe the easiest is access to dumpsters in appartements districts a.k.a. commieblocks or smaller office blocks.

I'm actually interrsted in doing, I'm a broke ass student. Food and other stuff is quite cheap where I live, I just wanted to look through the dumpsters in the area of my city where all the startups are located. Should I go for it, they have security there ?

1. Take in consideration your local law.
2. Check trashwiki.org if there is any info on your location.
3. Do some observations before you actually dive - is it public area or private. In the 2nd case you are likely to break the law, but regulations may differ.

Well I would never pick up something that smelled like piss, but people are idiots and throw away perfectly fine stuff that you can sell for next to no effort, the guitar amp I found was a fender and sold in 15 minuts, 250 USD for 10 minuts work, I guess you set your own standarts.

i live in a large condo with 100+ apartments, and there's a room in the basement where people dispose of old furniture, appliances, basically anything that can't be thrown in the garbage bins.

that's how i scavenged most of my computer parts. i currently hae 3 ATX towers (2 core2duos and one core2quad) with 8, 6 and 6 GB DDR3. on has an AMD GPU i don't remember the model the two others ave Geforces (9800 GT and GT730).

pretty low end but it was free.
I alos have a dozen of keyboards, wireless, usb, ps2, you name it. i don't count the mice i have a shit ton of them.

also i scavenged two ACER 23" 1080p monitors. they work perfectly

consumerism...

In Poland retards sometimes list stuff on Allegro or OLX for very low prices because they don't know what they're selling. Quite hard to find though and you're competing with many other autists trying to do the same.

epic loot m8 I assume you went multiscreen masterrace

Tru i remember good ol times you were able to buy working IBM Model M keyboards for like 10-15 current USD

in fact i set up two computers, on in my bedroom, one in the living room, both with an acer + a tv as a second screen.

i also got two xbox 360 like that but both had failed disc drives so i kept the hard drives and dumped them.

i use the hard drives to install linux distros on them and test them and whatnot

also carioca_31/TDM electronics is a national treasure
>not building your pc in a russian military surplus case

oh and i also got an HP printer/scanner that works pretty well.
when people move out they leave lots of stuff behind

holee duckfucking pope, that is gold

I literally work at the garbage dump, don't really find that much good stuff found a few good pcs that i sold and some ram and other shit

here are some spare keyboards gathering dust in my closet

I've only ever gone dumpster diving when our local council picks up whatever people dump on the street. Most of it isn't Sup Forums related but i did find some good things one year.

>Old windows XP computer (it was only thrown out because windows didn't work)
>A newer HP dekstop running Vista (same story, upgraded the RAM and upgraded to Win7)
Most of the time the computers or TV's people throw out here are pretty much fucked and only worth scrapping for extra RAM or hard drives.

I found a woman in one.
dirty, and quiet, so I took her home.
cleaned her, combed her hair, and fucked her.
To this day I still wonder how she died.

don't mind the cat i scavenged it too

sweden

>Sweden

Hmm communist country locking their dumpsters? What a lack of care about proletariate in need :D

romantic story bro, not many of us were so close with a women as you were

In every neighborhood there's at least one obsessive collector of everything. I live in a largeish apartment complex with a locked trash room.
When lucky I can find anything from mildly scratched laptops to UPSes, game consoles and TVs. Best find was a previous-gen i7 in an expensive gayman case, just no RAM, video card or storage devices.
But most of the time the local everything-collector has been there first. His storage room is filled to the ceiling, and he has a garage slot also filled with trash when it should only contain an automobile and a set of off-season tyres. He gave me the evil eye when I had managed to loot before him. I can't imagine what his apartment looks like.

I had a temp job at a computer service facility that was a subcontractor to Dell, HP and others. Swapped parts were often chucked in a dumpster, but I could easily set aside anything repairable, e.g. video cards with broken cooler fans.

kot is scared of the keyboards

bump for interest

Just found an almost fully working A8 3870K computer. Only the integrated sound card is shit.

dignity is overrated, and more importantly, it's all in your head

unironically cool story bro

>Keyboard ISIS releases video, stating "We will not be trodden on"

Found a HP dv6700 laptop a few years ago that still works and is in daily use.
Found a turntable in full working condition and it's now my backup in case my main kicks the bucket.
Found a lot of various parts for myself and for selling what I don't need.
Also people don't wipe their hard drives before throwing them away so you can find some interesting stuff like your neighbor's sex tapes.

In what kind of third world shithole is it even legal to throw away electronics into a regular dumpster? Do you throw your old batteries too?

>In what kind of third world shithole is it even legal to throw away electronics into a regular dumpster?
In my city sanitation sorts out the trash after they collect it.

I dive all the time. Also have a deal with some of the thrift shops around if they get computer equipment. I wipe them with dban and remove the hard drive. A bunch of old towers and laptops take up space and are heavy, instead I give them the hard drives so they do "recycle" the data as they are not allowed to sell the computers. Right now I have more 3rd and 4th gen i5 3.4 cpus than I know what to do with. I havent had to purchase printers, toner, memory, monitors, speakers in almost 10 years. Friends give me the cost for the parts around $100 and they get computers for them and family. I still get cases, power supplies and motherboards when needed. Holding on purchasing GPUs cause of the buttcoiners. Once that crashes hard I am going to be stalking craigslist.

Hey man, one man's trash is another man's treasure.

Not really trashpicked, but a local computer store was going to throw this baby out and instead they gave it to me.
Dual G5s at 2.3GHz and 6GiB ram. Also came with a 4Gb Fibre Channel card and an Ultra 320 SCSI controller. Not bad for being free methinks.

I have a first gen SNES with two controllers and tons of games. Works fine. What's it worth?

its not possible to do it here. they have huge fences and cameras and they say that you arent allowed to take anything and you have to pay them to put anything there.

its not really but people put them there because they might not own a car to transport it to a dumpster or want to save money by putting it there for free instead of paying the dumster jew.