/pcbg/ - PC Building General

Brainlet edition

>Assemble a part list
pcpartpicker.com/
>Example gaming builds and _monitor_ suggestions; click on the blue title to see notes
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/
>Learn how to build a PC (You can find a lot more detailed videos on channels like Bitwit)
youtube.com/watch?v=69WFt6_dF8g
>How to install Win7 on Ryzen
pastebin.com/TUZvnmy1

If you want help:
>State the budget & CURRENCY for your build
>List your uses, e.g. Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, include purpose (e.g., photoediting, gaming) and graphics card pairing (if applicable)

CPUs:
>NO i5 7500/7600K or i7 7700/K. THEY ARE DEFUNCT AND SUPERSEDED BY COFFEE LAKE
>G4560/G4600 - non-gaming (light tasks) or bare minimum gaming builds with a dedicated graphics card
>R3 1200 - Budget builds (best with OC + fast RAM)
>R5 1600 / i5 8400 - Great gaming (especially the i5 8400) or multithreaded use CPUs (especially the R5 1600)
>R7 / Used Xeon / Threadripper / i7 - Heavy Multi-Tasking / VM Work / Mixed use

RAM:
>Current CPUs benefit from high speed RAM; 3000-3200 MHz is ideal
>Before buying RAM for Ryzen, check your Mobo's QVL or look for user reports

Graphics cards:
>Consider Vega 56 for a Freesync monitor
>Crypto-Currency miners have driven GPU prices up (particularly Radeon)
1080p
>MSRP of standard 1080p cards: 1050Ti, 140USD; 1060 3GB, $200; 1060 6GB, $230; RX 570 4GB, $170; RX 580 4GB, $200
>GTX 1070 if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
1440p
>GTX 1070/Ti and 1080 are standard choices; currently overpriced
>GTX 1080Ti if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
2160p (4K)
>GTX 1080Ti

General:
>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING
>A 240GB or larger SSD is almost mandatory; consider m.2 form factor

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=6860&title=z370-extreme4-xmp-bug
pcpartpicker.com/list/WV4j8K
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157789
youtube.com/watch?v=VEslh6hGpYQ
pcpartpicker.com/user/LifehackerPC/saved/LJv7YJ
amazon.com/Vantec-4-Channel-HyperDuo-Technology-UGT-ST644R/dp/B008AEBY1W/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1516214607&sr=8-5&keywords=pcie+sata&th=1
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

can anyone tell me what this converter thingy is called? I need another for my second monitor

yes I'm aware it's dusty I'm working on it

VGA to DVI adapter. Google DVI port and see if its DVI-D or DVI-I type. DVI-D is more common. Also dont use it if your monitor has a DVI port. Buy a DVI cable for 5$ instead.

Looks like DVI to VGA. How old are your monitors that they don't have HDMI?

It's a DVI-D by the looks, thanks for that user you're a star

the new one has a HDMI port but my other monitor is pretty damn old at this point, still 1080p 60hz though

is the difference that big of a deal? I think my computer only has one HDMI port

>Big deal
No not at all. Just that HDMI/DVI makes everything easier as they're both digital signals where as VGA is analog. I've heard rumors that VGA has potentially more washed out colors compared to a digital signal, but I couldn't say for certain.

If possible, use HDMI for the monitor and keep what you have currently for the old.

You're displaying analogue signal. Your graphics output is digital being converted through that adapter. Never used it so not sure if it's a big deal but I guess it's not optional. Is that the only display port on your monitor?

Optimal*

Ah gotcha, well the old monitor also has a straight up DVI port, so instead of converting it from VGA I'll buy a DVI cable and then I'll buy a HDMI cable for the new one

looks like it'll be another day or two before it's setup. thanks a lot though guys.

>tfw no reasonablity proceed in stock gpus

ryzen 5 2400 or i3-8100 + 1030?

>Intel
Yea no. The 2400 is a way better bang for buck.

I assume you meant r5 1400, for $6 more you could get a 1500x. The 1030 is too budget imo, for $40 more I'd say get a gtx 1050 2gb

What do you think guys?

I5-8600K (only because I jewed out 20% off)
Scythe Mugen 5 Rev. B
Asus GTX 1060 6GB
ASRock Z370M Pro4
Corsair Ven. 2x8GB 3000Mhz
EVGA BQ 650W
Fractal D. Define C midi-tower
SSD Samsung Evo 850 - 500 GB (I'm using mostly half of it)

I don't know man that i5 sound decent but the motherboard seems to have some issues
forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=6860&title=z370-extreme4-xmp-bug

hello retard

>
Fuck I was going to get that mobo too. Which get? Around the same price range preferably

Nah I think that user is referring to the R5-2400G. It's supposed to $170. It's AMD's newest APU. Basically the R5-1400 with built in Vega graphics.

The 2400G is 4c/8t with 11 compute units.

The r3-2200G is 4c/4t with 8 compute units.

Both have shown to out perform even an I5-8400+GT1030 setup in gaming. Even more so against the i3-8100+GT1030. Not to mention am4 will offer an upgrade path unlike Intel and then killing off the socket every iteration.

Is it possible to use 2 PCIe based SATA cards in one PC? Say my server has only 6 ports on the motherboard, but capacity for 12 drives and I want to add 2x4port controllers. Would there be any conflict?

Pic related is capable of raid, but I wouldn't be using it. I simply want more SATA ports.

Looks like that Extreme 4 edition triggers people because of 1.3 bios bug and shit performance with older CPUs. Well that Pro4 has norlam/good comments at most stores.

>norlam
man I'm tired

Yeah now it makes more sense, if he can wait almost a month for the release it sounds like a great option.

pcpartpicker.com/list/WV4j8K

me build. just wondering where to start; ive seen some people attach the AiO to the mobo first, then attach the mobo.
ive always put the mobo in first, but this is the first time im building with a corsair AiO, so i dunno if anything has to be done different since there is now a big radiator with a fan on it that must fit in. the radiator+fan is pretty big(25-26mm rad + 25mm 140mm fan, i think) so i was worried that maybe it would be harder or things wouldnt fit as great if i put the mobo in alone first.

MOBO: MSI ATX DDR4 Z170A GAMING PRO
Processor: i5-6600 CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3312 Mhz
GPU: MSI Radeon RX 480 DirectX 12 RX 480 GAMING X 4G 4GB 256-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX
RAM: Crucial 1x8gb DDR4 2133
SSD: 120gb
HD: 240gb + 2tb
PSU: EVGA 850W
Monitor: Samsung UN40B6000
Desk: couch

Using my annual bonus to upgrade, specifically looking at monitors and a desk, but want to address all high-priority fuckery from this frankenstein i've accumulated

not sure how accurate, but pic related
but obv bottleneck doesn't speak to overall deficiency

What SSD brands should I avoid? I've already had bad experiences with Sandisk and Kingston. Dont really wanna pay out for Intel or Samsung

What seems to be the problem here? Obviously if you want to game on 1440p or 144 Hz monitor then you need to upgrade for better GPU but your current system is fine otherwise. Tell us what's you want.

monitor consideration is my main point i guess - not sure if i should just grab 1080 ones or future proof a little by getting a better monitor and wait for gpus to come down, or get both monitors and a better gpu now

The mid Feb Ryzen APUs will have integrated graphics that are better than the 1030. The starting price will be 99USD, a way way better deal than wasting your money on one of the lowest end graphics cards.

Needs SSD
Mobo+chip+cooler first

Another SSD and another 8GB of the same RAM
MSI Optix monitor from the OP pcpartpicker, unless you're viewing at couch distances in which case use a viewing distance calculator to figure out how big your 1080p should be

Just get 1080p for the time being

>>Before buying RAM for Ryzen, check your Mobo's QVL or look for user reports
What bad can happen, outside running at slower speed, if i use something not in the QVL?
There's already a poor choice in RAM where i live, and these lists narrow it down even more.

Recommend Z370 board

Worst case scenario is that it won't post, but that's very unlikely. Just check user reviews
A BIOS update will solve most minor issues, but of course you have to be able to get into the BIOS to do that

If you don't know what you need, just get three cheapest one

Maybe I'm a fucking brainlet but I cannot find those 1080p 4gb graphics cards for the process listed in the op. Where are you shopping?

And avoid AssRock

Hello Sup Forums
We're moving in with another couple and they want to set up a gaming room with multiple pc's so we can do LAN stuff. I want to build a gaming tonight that can run ARK survival evolved on at the very least low graphics for preferably under 800 dollars, 1000 at the most. The PC will be used primarily for gaming, but it would be nice (but not mandatory) to be able to do some video editing on it. I also need it to not be huge. Is this even possible?

Is it that important to get identical RAM kit? Can't I just set my DRAM frequency and timing to the lowest one and it'll work? Used to mix RAM all the time before I knew that I shouldn't and never had any problem. Want to save a few bucks.

The moving in with a couple part is irrelevant to your PC building question, cuck.

I guess I could've just said the PC will see frequent use by multiple users.

Like your wife lmao

>1600X
>B350
>2x8 2666
>Case, PSU, CPU and case fans
>250 M.2
>27" 144Hz
>GPUs are sold out or retardedly expensive everywhere
Guess I'll just use my old GTX770 and bottleneck the shit out of it

That's the point, you can't because of the shortage. MSRP = manufacturer's SUGGESTED retail price. You can make smarter decisions (if you have to buy now) based on MSRP, which also reflects the performance of the cards

Meme

ARK is tough to run, check benchmarks. Considering RAM and graphics card prices right now it's possible, but as you noted you'll be playing on Low or Medium settings
Also I question your life decisions. Moving in with a couple who plays ARK is a good way to get your dick cut off when things go sour

It'll default to lowest

You'll have a 30FPS rig until you get a new graphics card. Things could be worse

I got my rx580 for $190 on launch, now that crypto fucking dead how long do i have to sell it for $400 before they drop to $5 a piece

I'd say avoid Asrock motherboards. MSI Z370 Tomahawk is in the same price range, for about $50 more you could go for MSI Z370M GAMING PRO AC (wi-fi included but it's m-atx) or MSI Z370 GAMING PRO CARBON for a little less. These boards don't seem to have ram speed issues.

Asrock is fine

Do I RMA my z87 motherboard, (it refuses to keep bios settings after a reboot, requires 2 plug ins before the Mobo can be powered on, and when it does power on it powers up for 2 seconds, then restarts.)(I've tested every part, it is definitely the motherboard)
Question is should I RMA it or deal w it?
Mabey clearing CMOS will help?
I have heard nothing but horror stories about RMA and am worried.
If I buy a replacement Mobo, overclocking, Bluetooth and wifi are a must for the lga 1150
It's a real shame bc I got this board for 100 USD back in 2015.

I know that feel
>On a C2Q machine since forever
>Not even overclocked because the motherboard is shit
>Paired with 4GB of ddr2-667mhz and a GTX 280
>Hear about meltdown/specter and decide that it's finally time to upgrade, even if for just the performance boost because 30% off a C2Q is terrible
>Got me an R7-1700X, 32GB ddr4, in a an Asus X370 Rog board, New power supply, case, everything
>Can't find a single video card that's not insanely priced

My GTX 280 gave up the ghost not long after building the new machine. It's like it knew it's time in the lime light was over. So now I'm making due with a fucking passively cooled GT210 I had laying in my closet. I just want a 1080Ti that ISN'T $1500

RMA

The GPU prices in sweden is fine. Should I grab a 1080Ti before the crypto cancer reach here? I don't even play high graphics games.

>Not remembering BIOS setting after a while
Have you tried replacing the CROSS battery? Maybe it's dying?

And good luck getting an LGA-1150 socket board now. Z87/97 boards all seem to be stupid money for mediocre product.

CMOS* fucking auto dictionary.
If you have the money, fuck it why not? When/if the cancer does reach you, you can always flip it for double to desperate miners.

I've replaced the CMOS battery like 3 times now, that doesn't help
Unless there's a 2nd battery called the CROSS I don't know about and that's not a typo

It is a typo. See If that's the case, time to RMA.

What is wrong with asrock? This is the board I'm eyeing and it has got good reviews here and on pcpartpicker

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157789

>Needs SSD
>Mobo+chip+cooler first
westerndigital HDDs have always worked well for me in the past so im ok with them. thanks for the info. im wondering though: is that the build order that one should always go for, or is it because im using an AiO with a radiator?

>you can always flip it for double to desperate miners.
This. If you have the money go for it fast before the prices spike.

Retailers were still shelling out monitors with vga and dvi by the masses up until a couple of years ago, and making monitors with hdmi/dp a bit more expensive as a main selling point.

They are free to do so but I think its ridiculous how many people ended up with outdated monitors while thinking that it was new. And gpu makers still feel obliged to support them.

>What is wrong with asrock?
nothing

Reviews seem solid. I've had two bad experiences with Asrock boards but that could just be bad luck on my end.

Ark guy here, what parts would you recommend? I've never actually built a PC, I have a friend who is going to show me how to do it, I just need the pieces.

Do mine-niggers actually mine with 1080Ti? What's wrong with them?

Is there any real benefit to having games on an ssd aside from quicker load times? Or is it better to have all my games on a larger 1tb drive and have my os and office 2016 programs on a 120gb ssd I intend to bug for $39.99?

They actually get a decent has rate. Nvidia cards are just as capable as AMD stuff now for mining. As for why, because of the craze for Bitcoin. Or alt-coins to trade for Bitcoin. What's $10,000 on a bunch of 1080TI's if it means they manage to mine you 2 measly bitcoins worth $11k each?

That's their thinking anyway. Because Newegg, Amazon, and even local stores like Fry's and Microcenter are completely out of anything above a 1050Ti. Even 3GB/6GB 1060's are rare. Pic related. The result of crypto-niggers.

>C2Q system
>Paired with 4GB of ddr2-667mhz and a GTX 280
>decide its time to upgrade after spectre/meltdown issues

Bro, I think its good when people dont upgrade to soon, but your system was like five years overdue. If you dont have any intensive tasks/usage then it would be better with a laptop.

Im just flabbergasted desu. A C2 system in to a R7 1700X, man.

I was always poor. Then I got a really good blue collar job where I had money falling out of my ass. But having been poor for so long, I got used to pulling parts from used machines and dumpster diving. Squeezing machines for every last bit of performance. As such, I got used to playing all my games on low-medium at 1600x900p. Getting my hands on a 120GB 840 Samsung SSD for $40 during a big sale was like the holy Grail for me.

Specter/meltdown and the subsequent patch with potential for performance reduction just made me take stock of how it will perform if the patch really took away 30%. Suffice to say, the numbers I was getting wasn't satisfactory. I was barely getting 40fps in overwatch as it was. I think my new 1700X/1080Ti (when it fucking comes in) will be a slight improvement at least right?

Europe doesnt seem as affected by this as the US. Things are still in stock except for amd cards and gtx 1070 are on a low but the prices have just gone up slightly (20-50 € by my approxiation).

Where is the best place to buy RAM? DDR4 is so expensive now.

Load times and in some cases with very large/resource intensive games, higher FPS. For instance Skyrim SE with a couple of mods loads in less than 2 seconds off of my Samsung 850 EVO 500GB when loading the outside world after leaving a building/cave. Where as my friend's mechanical 2TB on the same game with NO mods at all takes anywhere from 15-35 seconds.

In games like GTA 5, his mechanical disc struggles to keep up with the game sometimes. So it results in "pop-in" of objects that failed to load in time. And textures looking like a stretch blurry mess for a few seconds. Where as I see smooth sailing from my SSD. And don't even get me started on the unoptimized dumpster fire that is Fallout 4. Even more so when you add mods. Modded fallout 4 from my SSD is usually 25+ seconds. My buddy is usually looking at 2+ minutes at times.

I know that feel man, I was using a q6600 until the motherboard died a few months ago and I'd rather replace the whole build with at least a 1500x.
See for yourself (oc to 3.8)
youtube.com/watch?v=VEslh6hGpYQ

Fuck yea that's perfect. I have a 60HZ 1440p panel now. So if the 1080Ti is pushing 200+ FPS in OW, my needs should be a breeze.

Getting top shelf shit is weird for me. I was used to looking around for a custom BIOS to allow voltage control on a bottom bin card to see if I can squeeze an extra 3 frames out of it.

Looking for what other people do for budget builds. What do you think of this one?

pcpartpicker.com/user/LifehackerPC/saved/LJv7YJ

Does it matter which gtx 1050 ti i buy (gainward, geforce, palit, etc etc.)?

Does anyone here use M.2 drives? How comfy is it?

no they're all the same. cooling isn't an issue with the 1050 ti as it's super low powered anyway and most models don't even require a power connector.

Never heard of Gainward/Palit. Read reviews as sometimes the aftermarket groups fuck up with their additions.

It's sweet. Currently have a 500GB Samsung 960 EVO drive. Really tempted to abandon all my SATA based SSDs in favor of a single 2TB Samsung 960.

what do you plan to use the computer for? 2 cores is pretty shit, even with 4 threads. if you plan on any kind of gaming or productivity stuff, id spend a little more on the CPU and get at least 4 cores/8 threads. maybe a cheap ryzen 3 or the intel equivalent(if one exists in that price range).

With how unbelievably shit the market is right now thanks to currency miners, are there any decent pre built rigs that are actually cost efficient now?

Are there any downsides in running 1x 250 M.2, 1 256 SSD and one 120 SSD, all EVO?

amazon.com/Vantec-4-Channel-HyperDuo-Technology-UGT-ST644R/dp/B008AEBY1W/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1516214607&sr=8-5&keywords=pcie+sata&th=1

So I could use something like this to use external drives at full SATA III speed? Probably need to take them out of their cases and get a separate enclosure, though.

Good for you then!

A 1060 maxes out overwatch by the way. 1080ti is sweet, sweet overkill in pretty much anything.

not if you're running 144Hz+

I want to buy a new GPU, I decided to get the RX560 (Limited budget and I like AMD better). I use mostly my PC for video editing and a little bit of gaming.

I saw that there are 8 models of said card, saw some 2gb - 4gb and 1-2 coolers and some are smaller and others are longer.

My problems are which is the best, and if it'll fit my current tower because I have an old as shit tower that I still use for personal reasons. (Pic related)

No not at all. I've been buying SSDs since they were considered bleeding edge. I have a Samsung 840 120GB, 250GB and 500GB Samsung 850 EVO's, and a 500GB sing 960 EVO. All bought as time went on and prices came down.
That's exactly what I'm after. Overkill in every regard. See if I can get this new machine to last as long as my old C2Q setup

get one with custom fans

>gainward/palit
they mainly sell in the eu (and probably asia as well). palit jetstream gpus are great.

the sapphire nitro models are pretty good, MSI as well; both clocked high if thats something you want. ive heard people say the xfx 480s are good(not sure what they meant by good), not sure about the 580s though.

you guys jelly?

of what? ddr3 memory?

custom fans? That will raise the cost a bit too much I think for my budget.

I won't overclock it or anything. While I like seeing overclocked systems, it's not something that I do.

show a link of said 8 models and ill check if any of them has custom fans

goo dot gl slash eEVYKt
There are 8 but it only shows 7 here. No idea why.

not just any ddr3 memory, 14 buckarino ddr3 memory

Should I wait to build a budget rig until prices go back down?

>goo dot gl slash eEVYKt

all of those are fine, pic is what you should avoid

show us your part list first

What's the difference between GDDR5 and DDR5?
Also is a 1060 worth it for 340 or should I wait, I haven't upgraded in 5 years?

As I said, I'll stick with Radeon cards for now, so going to a GTX was a no-no from the go-go

>btc diying
>all the european under 250€ 10603gb are still out of stock

Come fucking on

G is for Gigazor and it means its faster speeds.