/tpg/ - ThinkPad General

Old Thread: If you're looking for purchase advice, state your budget and requirements (e.g. size and performance).
>>Don't buy anything OTHER THAN IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad T, X, and W/P Series if you want the Real Business Experience™
>>Other business laptops are also welcome in /tpg/ (Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).

Recommended IBM models:
>600 series, IPS T4x or 755 series
Recommended modern models:
>X220 - 12", 768p, cheap and light
>T420 - 14", 900p, widely available, socketed CPU, Ivy Bridge installable w/ Coreboot
>W520 - 15", 1080p, Desktop Replacement, 32GB RAM on quadcore models, USB 3.0
>T440p, T540p, W540 - last ThinkPads to have replaceable CPUs, IPS displays available, chiclet
>P series - reminiscent to old build quality, top-of-the-line specs, better than most current mobile workstations, but very expensive.

Why ThinkPad?
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap
>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet
>Great durability: chassis uses a magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, with high quality plastic body panels
>Utilitarian design: e.g. indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop
>Easy to repair (most models), upgrade & maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model, spare parts easy & cheap to obtain
>The best TrackPoint, great for those who type a lot or hate swiping their fingers all over a touchpad
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support

Used laptop guides by xsauc:
dankpads.com
ThinkWiki - Info on ThinkPads & running GNU/Linux on them:
thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki
ThinkPad service guides w/ tutorial videos:
lenovoservicetraining.com/
EPP discount for new ThinkPads:
pastebin.com/JVwVGVTW
BIOS logo booru:
biosimage.booru.org/

Other urls found in this thread:

reddit.com/r/lightshope/comments/7mkn4i/idab_returns_january_16th/
forum.lightshope.org/search.php?author_id=13868&sr=posts&sid=7810c5f3003202e4218a52711e4c0061
youtube.com/watch?v=ijLxbk27HNs
ebay.co.uk/itm/Cheap-Laptop-Windows-7-IBM-X60s-Lenovo-1-8Ghz-4GB-4-0-80-0GB-WIFI-12-1/152133883970?epid=0&hash=item236be2d842:g:4OoAAOSwMmBV4IvQ
ebay.co.uk/itm/Cheap-Yellow-Laptop-Windows-7-IBM-Lenovo-1-6Ghz-2GB-2-0-80GB-WIFI-12-1-X60s/201536824194?epid=0&hash=item2eec87e382:g:ayQAAOSwgQ9V4I23
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

No, drain holes did not stop after '40

Intel hasn't come out with a new portable-workstation CPU, so Lenovo can't do a new portable workstation.

Threadly reminder to blacklist idab and T440s aswell as reporting him for breaking rule 11.

reddit.com/r/lightshope/comments/7mkn4i/idab_returns_january_16th/
forum.lightshope.org/search.php?author_id=13868&sr=posts&sid=7810c5f3003202e4218a52711e4c0061
youtube.com/watch?v=ijLxbk27HNs

>”Grow up buddy, people know me. Im famous here. “ -idab

>father
>200 laptops
>mine
>for free

What is the mian diff between T460p and not p models? And what about T470p and not p?

So, tried Kubuntu on the X220, why are almost all settings related to the toichpad disabled or greyed out?

because KDE

What's a suitable DE?

xfce has better mouse control options, there is an xububtu distro that werks an looks good too.

Yo Sup Forums, I have a problem with my x220.
As you can see, there's this flickering band that keeps appearing sometimes. It goes away for a moment either pressing a bit with my fingers (where you can see on the image) or moving the screen up/down or even just waiting for a while.
What do you think it's the problem? I don't think it's the screen itself since it's fairly new (like 6 months or so, it's an IPS I bought online). Maybe it's the connection or something. What can I do about it? Do you think bringing the laptop to a repair-shop is worth it?

I've opened it up and reconnected it and this still happens

Check the display cable, you should be able to do this yourself. Just open up your laptop and reconnect the cable both at the mobo and the screen.

maybe a new cable is needed.

because kubuntu is fucking garbage, try different kde distro or other de

KDE is garbage no matter the distro

Why do you post this same shit every thread?

Thanks for the replies. Do you think it could be the adhesive tape that presses the cable to the screen? The one that's here it's pretty shitty and old and it almost doesn't press with no force. Maybe if I put a new tape that does more pressure it will be fine. Do you think this is reasonable?

p stands for power and pretty heavy.

That could be it, The fact that you pressing against it sometimes fixes it pretty much guarantees a loose connection somewhere, either at a connection point or in the cable.

Thanks a lot for the info. I will try the tape thing and If it doesn't work I'll try a new cable.

Don't reply to him

how's the x1c for programming? starting a degree in softdev and choosing between this and an xps13, want it to last. i'm eyeing the model at ces currently

It's fine
Even overkill

yeah, i'm not so much worried if it'll be able to do stuff but whether it'll last. cheers

I got a t520 with the dock. Should I buy an external monitor? Will it be as easy as dropping the laptop in the dock?

It will, mostly
Ram is soldered a long with other stuff
So I'd recommend you pony up extra for the 16 gb ram option

Do all T440p have a GT 730 with 1GB VRAM or there are models with 2GB?
Is it Thinkpad or Chinkpad?

Yes go for it.

Also is $240 good for a T440p?
I5-4300m, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD.
Battery still new.

wtf do I do with an old thinkpad

good luck

Am I abble to run DotA 2 smoothly on a T420? What about the x220? (Does it have heat issues???)

X220 should be 10°C hotter than the T420.
Still under 80°C under load just repaste it.

Who here /freethinkpad/

So I need Thinkpad with express card slot (for e-gpu setup), i7 4700 hq or higher, 16 gigs of ram, 240 gb sata ssd.
Budget for everything four hundred, 500 usd max.

Hackintosh your T420 now.

Anyone use their thinkpad to play games with an eGPU in the express slot? How's the performance? Did you burn your house down?

>enjoy you buggy hardware on shit OS
Its like you hit rock bottom user

Literally everything works

Fingerprint reader? Touchpad gestures? SD card reader?

>Literally everything works
So why did you have to buy non stock hardware?

> sd card
there's a fix for it now
> fingerprint reader
dont have one
> touchpad
lol
wtf I have to spend a fiver on a wifi card thats better than the stock one
I hate hackintosh now!!

Then literally everything doesn't work you fuckwad.

ah pedantry, the low iq way to 'win' an 'argument'

No, you're just a lying piece of shit.

Do you guys recommend buying only used old models or are the new models cool too?

> No, you're just a lying piece of shit.
t. brainlet who couldn't figure out how to hackintosh

to you think it'll have wacom aes support? if i put it on my yoga

pro/performance, actually.

The new models are shit.

So just an upgrade over the non p T series

This

>upgrade over the non p T series
well if you don't care about weight, sure.
but the P line was the predecessor to the 'W' line

Hi
Meet the newest member of the family.

P series are good , T and X series are bad.
X1 carbon was decent, not great.

For something new Thinkpads are called Chinkpads.

$25 good for a docking station?

Alright, seller is gifting me another 4GB stick so 8GB in total.
Is this worth it?
Are they durable since man im going to treat it rough in the fields.

x270 is pretty comfy, battery lasts forever and it still feels like a thinkpad to me

so the dude likes T440s. big fucking deal. rule 11 NOT broken

Yowhassup g,

I have a budget of 300 euros and i want to do basic uni stuff and consume media anywhere but on my uncomfortable desk. Are they really heavy?
Which one do you rcommend me

>Single channel RAM only in a device with a IGPU
Fuck that.

gf wants a linux laptop but doesn't want a TP because her friends will laugh at her, purism or system76?

Maybe its time to leave your imaginary gf user

>fell for many Sup Forums memes before
>always been happy with the products I've ended up buying
>see this meme

Fuck I have neither the money nor the use for some second hand ThinkPad, but I'd love to buy and own one, they seem such nice products.

>be single for the rest of your life
nty

Dude I like World of Warcraft and the Thinkpad T440s

How am I breaking any rules?

Post your ThinkPad or you're gay

T440s masterrace

Man... look at this. These fucking idiots have bought out hundreds of X60/s on the cheap and fucking ruined them with nonsense. Search for an X60 on ebay.co.uk and you'll get pages and pages of these fucking monstrocities. I think that they should be killed, and their store closed down.

ebay.co.uk/itm/Cheap-Laptop-Windows-7-IBM-X60s-Lenovo-1-8Ghz-4GB-4-0-80-0GB-WIFI-12-1/152133883970?epid=0&hash=item236be2d842:g:4OoAAOSwMmBV4IvQ

ebay.co.uk/itm/Cheap-Yellow-Laptop-Windows-7-IBM-Lenovo-1-6Ghz-2GB-2-0-80GB-WIFI-12-1-X60s/201536824194?epid=0&hash=item2eec87e382:g:ayQAAOSwgQ9V4I23

Can you not be so toxic? These people actually have an insanely genius idea.

Looks tacky, but the idea is gold.

Imagine being able to create an attractive cover similar to this.

You could scoop 100 thinkpads that are cosmetically SHIT and still resell them as full refurbed A+ devices.

>I think that they should be killed

They are contributing SO much more to my thinkpad community than you are. They're innovating and creating new ideas.

You're shit posting from your moms basement.

Thanks for beating me to posting this today.
Autism.

>Can you not be so toxic?
You shut your mouth you absolute fucking CANCER.

>These people actually have an insanely genius idea. Looks tacky, but the idea is gold.
Ruining X60s with horrendous lid covers for no reason whatsoever on a scale such as this is criminal. A few here and there is no problem. Hundreds and hundreds of them ruined and sold for extortionate prices cannot be forgiven.

>You could scoop 100 thinkpads that are cosmetically SHIT and still resell them as full refurbed A+ devices.
That's what they're trying to do and it's a crime. Leave the X60s alone, they're forever poisoning an already very limited supply by doing this.

>They are contributing SO much more to my thinkpad community than you are. They're innovating and creating new ideas.
They're Thinkpads you fucking crackhead. You don't buy them for new ideas or innovation you buy them because they're already perfect in every single way. Slapping some plastic wank on 250 of them and selling them for £100 is disgusting and you should be killed along with these scumbags if you think it's a good idea.

>You're shit posting from your moms basement.
I'll be shitposting with my dick in your mum's windpipe if you don't shut up and fuck off you stupid tripnigger. Try me.

rude

>hide scuffs with a sticker
>insanely genius

You seem a bit dim.

Its a great idea if the lids are very scratched up.

And if the palm rests are scratched up, maybe a nice carbon fiber decal to cover that.

I think decal tech might be the future of thinkpad

think about it, everyone that uses a thinkpad has stickers anyway.

So you'd rather SEE the scuffs? I prefer a nice black decal if I couldnt afford a fresh lid.

>mfw I have a fresh OEM lid

Nice reddit spacing.
Pic related. Genius right?

This was executed poorly

And Some of those case badges dont match the hardware inside of the machine

It's a terrible idea, as were you. And no, not everyone who uses Thinkpads puts stickers on them. I don't have any on any of mine.

I dont have any on mine either.

How many of those stickers are covering scuffs?

Made me kek, I like it

>I don't have any on any of mine.
>How many of those stickers are covering scuffs?

>buying a laptop with a compromised CPU after learning about meltdown/spectre
Anyone buying a used laptop now is literally a moron.

no thanks, i prefer linux having used both. macos is alright though!

I meant other thinkpad users

You know some of the stickers you see are covering scuffs.

These ebay vendors developed a method so ANYbody can take advantage of a scuff free thinkpad.

I think user is just mad someone is stealing Sup Forums's sticker idea.

Of using stickers to cover scuffs on the lids.

Genius. Since thinkpads scuff easily.

And Sup Forums has always used sticker to cover the scuffs.

Ha you fool. You've fallen for the Jewish tricks.
Have you none common sense 2018?

Just get a T440s

Haswell U processors have seen 0 performance hit do to spectr/meltdown patches.

This is why t440s became #1

It benches harder than a t460 now.

The docking station sounds very tempting, anyone uses it around here ? I think i'm gonna get one for my x220

Old As Fuck Piece of Dinosaur Shit Laptop General

almost all the meetups i go to have stickers and nobody is putting them on the scuffs
people put them over their apple logos too, the apple logo isn't scuffed

people don't give a shit about scuffs

Anyone have the thinkpad Bluetooth mouse? Its about $20 new. Should I purchase it? Lately I've been autistic about owning thinkpad merchandise
I have the ultra base x6 (I think its called)
Its really cool. I leave my monitor and surround sound speakers attached, when I get home I just drop my pad into it, silky smooth.

I'm on a Retro T25 now and STILL feel guilt for not keeping my T520 quad

I use one for my X60s and my T60. I like them. Would recommend for sure if you're connecting perepherals regularly.

It felt cheap, just returned it and ordered the microsoft sculpt comfort.

Ha, I'm sorry about your feel user. This machine is awesome!

Dug out and refurbished my T60 after Librebooting it. These things are fucking amazing.

>inb4 some idiotic rant about spectre/meltdown/end of world

I actually did have some concerns about that that I haven't quite yet put to rest. I'm running Trisquel 7.0 mini and I'm not sure exactly if it's been patched. I haven't had any updates available for it for quite a while now, and haven't noticed any major performance impacts (no I/O heavy workloads or benchmarks done though) even with FDE. I'm also not exactly sure how Spectre and Meltdown might affect Libreboot. Trisquel and Libreboot devs have been silent on the issue up until the last time I checked.