How do I not fuckup building my own pc? AMD equipment tho

How do I not fuckup building my own pc? AMD equipment tho
Did you built everything perfect in your first time? I'm kinda anxious

It will be fine. If I could do it as a pot smoking dumb ass teenager in 2007 you can fuckin do it right now. It’s never been easier or more retard proof

I've never "built" one myself. But I've probably reconnected all components in my except I ahven't touched the CPU. Really it's just plugging cables into sockets... Don't think there's a big chance it'll go wrong. Maybe CPU is the most difficult part.

You have to a special type of retard to fuck up building computers nowadays, even videos of 5 year old do it.
Fucking endless amount of information is out there, it will be your fault of cannot figure it out

>Did you built everything perfect in your first time?
Yes. It's not brain surgery to put together a pc. You pick parts, and attach them to the fucking slots/ports that they fit in.

the only way you fuck up is if your parts came to you DOA

it's like legos except they only go in one way

Okay guys, I got it. I'm just a bit nervous, but will be fine, thanks.
Another retarded question. Can I still use my very old monitor? It's now in the attic, but looks like pic related. I'm not sure if I need a new one.

Sure those dell monitors should be fine (I use 2 of them as secondary monitors), as long as you aren't one of those wierd people who think they needs some crazy high response time or refresh rate

Nah man. I got used to using shit computers and monitors. That will be so refreshing
What does it even depend on? On the graphics card? Got a 1050 ti tho.

The refresh rate depends on the monitor. It's how often the screen "refreshes" and shows a new frame.
What board are you from?

There are 1 hour long videos on youtube making a build step by step

The only thing I fucked up was to plug one power connection into the gpu instead of 2.
Back then I saw that it had 2 sockets to plug cables into, but I didn't think that it would need both.
Because which household objects need to plug into 2 wall sockets?
When I turned it on, the GPU fan just spinned at max like a jet engine, probably to gain my attention, and I plugged the second cable in, then it worked.

I pay a local kid to build my system for me. I pay him $50 bux ofcourse to make it worthwhile. He spends few hours tinkering around and making the system run smooth, I have free time to do my work/watch tv.

Computer building is for trash tier people. If you don't value your time, do it. For someone who wants to enjoy life or do actual work that pays me more than double what I'm paying the kid to do per hour, its not worth it.

Ah I see. Now it's a bit clear for me.
>What board are you from?
Why would that be important from which board I am? Only browse blue boards

I was pretty nervous my first time too. So much in fact, instead of building a computer, I instead only spent like 200 bucks building a cheap ass NAS. Doing so gave me enough confidence to build future 1000+ dollar systems.

Shit's super easy, most things only go in one way, the components are honestly not even that fragile.

But it's important for me to learn that shit. After I successfully built mine, I probably can build every pc after that.

I fucked up a bit with thermal paste. Didn't gauge the amount of force I should use. Also didn't expect it to be sticky, so a got a tapering loop when I lifted the syringe(?) up. After a bit of panicking, wiped it up. I'd suggest squirting a bit of paste onto a napkin or paper towel to get a feel for it.
Also fucked up cable management, because I was too lazy to remove both side panels at first.
Ran well in the end, though.

So who are you paying to read and write your posts on Sup Forums?

Ur mum.

Just curious. You're clearly not from Sup Forums

I'm mostly on /adv/, /fit/ /ck/ and /fa/. I'm lurking here since over an month. I really like this board.

Who needs cable management? I just shoved all that shit into the box. Has been working great for six years now.

I wasn't too happy with the CPU power cable resting on the cooler's heatsink. There was also a cable touching the GPU's heatsink. I got them out of the way with a few zipties and a velcro strap that came with my parts, though.
Also, depends on if you care about aesthetics, I guess.

None of those boards/hobbies have anything to do with building a PC, so what made you want to?
Different guy btw, in case that matters.

first time went smoothly
one time i accidentally bent a couple of pins but you need to be really fucking clumsy to do something like that

I always had bad computers. Now I have a lot of time and money, so I wanted to buy a new computer. Looked at my local store and they were selling that crap too expensive.

And I love to learn new things for example I already learn my 5th language and it motivates to know so much I didnt know. Now I see people have so much knowledge with computers and saw that many of them build their own PCs so I told myself "If they can build it then why shouldn't I do the same thing too?" Hit Google, looked up to 10000 tutorials and informations about every single component and now I'm finally in the state to build it. Now I saved like 800 bucks for even a better perfomance than these ones in the stores.

Also my laptop is very old and it annoys me very much. Pic related, it's my current laptop. That will be such a refreshing feel if I dont fuck it up. I'm very excited.

>Doesn't know how to put together computer parts.
>Wants AMD.

Good for you user. Best of luck.

Do the research, you need at least 3 to 5 months to pick out the components and make the perfect build that will actually work without problems.

Never cheap out on the case and the PSU.

>need at least 3 to 5 months to pick out

hehehe

Yes, if you want it to work for longer than a month you need to conduct a thorough research on every component. Compare benchmarks, analyze reviews, use different combinations, accept certain tradeoffs, etc. It's not done overnight.

I built a high end PC and the only thing I messed up is the thermal paste. I never bothered to fix it but my CPU does get very hot under load almost hitting 90°c. It also doesn't help that the 8600k has a shitty non soldered IHS.

How did you fuck it up? Why dont you fix it?

I put too little. They said a pea size blob of paste is enough, so I took a pea put it on the cpu then used it as a reference for the amount of thermal paste I put next to it, but the pea I used was too small. I plan on getting a quieter CPU cooler so that's why I won't fix it for now.

Why didnt you just put a bit more after that

>I built a high end PC and the only thing I messed up is the thermal paste
>intel CPU

I didn't want to take the cpu cooler off. I've only had the computer for a week anyway. I'm using my old cpu cooler for now which isn't even good anyway

Try undervolting the cpu, might help a little.

Are you sure you took the pea off your CPU when you were done?

You seem like a good guy user. Welcome to Sup Forums!

Thanks, you guys are awesome too. Glad I found this board

Building part is easy, it's just assembling parts together and they only fit in their own slots. Most common mistakes are forgetting the extra power cord for the graphics card, plugging the CPU fan to the wrong pins (it won't boot, it just complains that the fan is not plugged in) and maybe messing the little cables that connect to the case that allow you to use the power button, reset button, case USBs and so on.

You'll fail the assembling if the parts aren't compatible with each other, though. The motherboard needs to use the same CPU socket as the CPU and the CPU fan must use the same socket as well. You need the correct generation RAM depending on your motherboard (DDR3, DDR4). You also need to have the right size motherboard for the case so it can fit inside it. They are standardized so search for ATX, mATX, mini-ITX words. Another part that doesn't always fit in is the graphics card, they are gigantic nowadays. Some cases don't have enough room for a long card so check the maximum GPU length for the case.

Good luck.

Got everything right. I'm still unsure with the cables. Youtube will surely help me, thanks user.

You should refer to your motherboard's manual instead. I don't trust a YouTube video to help a first-timer with the power connections, especially for the case.

Good point. Forgot about that. Thanks

sometimes these reddit memes are actually funny.

Out of curiosity: do you have a parts list? I'm curious what exactly you're building.

Ryzen 5 1600
B350 Tomahawk
1x crucial 8gb ddr4 2133 (poor choice I know, will sell that shit after I got a bit more money)
Gigabyte Geforce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB GDDR5
Thermaltake Smart RGB 600W Power Supply
Sharkoon VG4-W Case
1TB HDD

pls no bully

Keep looking at videos of people putting together builds and also some buying guides. Keep going until you gain the confidence to do it yourself.

decent parts list, but I will say this. If you can't afford better memory, then don't waste your money on the shitty one right now with the plan of selling it later. Save up for good memory. It'll take you longer, but it will be cheaper in the long run.
Also I would really suggest getting an ssd, at least for windows if nothing else.

Much appreciated. Will mark your words, thanks a lot my dude. Got any other advice?

make sure you buy from the supported ram list for respective mobo / processor otherwise you may end up with timing issues.

I don't really have any other specific advice. Just a warning that gpu prices are fucked up right now thanks to miners buying them as fast as possible and driving the prices up.

It appears that your motherboard doesn't have any WiFi capabilities built in. I hope you're ok with that. I'm just assuming that a first-timer builder might not have any cables for Ethernet.
Also, did you consult the PC building general first? They helped me with my build a lot.

Forgot to ask: what's the rpm of your HDD?

Yeah, I saw that. Everyone is so hyped with something that is already dead. Really unfortunate right now and I got mine for 170 bucks.
Already bought a Wifi card. No issues here. 7200.

It'll be fine, niggy. That or you'll be scratching your head on why your monitor keeps going into power saving mode when you're playing vidya like I am currently.

By the time I built my first PC, I already put new thermal paste and swapped CPUs out on my prebuilt eMachines from 2008, and added more RAM and a GPU. So building a computer was literally just screwing the board in, for new things at that point. This first built PC was a bitch as I got an old 775 board and had to add BIOS microcodes to it to run my Xeon, and the oldass gamer case from 2002 I used that I got for $20 on CL had all individual wires for the front panel audio and USB ports, fun fun.

I'd say if you're nervous of building a computer, just buy or find for free something like a Pentium 4 or Core 2 Duo computer, and take it apart and put it back together, and/or upgrade it with a $10 Core 2 Quad or Xeon and $10-20 in RAM.

I guess it also depends on how mechanically apt you are. I'd rather build a PC any day of the week than do a car head gasket, for example. Some people are just dumb as bricks, though, who knows.

Make sure your motherboard CPU socket fits the CPU you buy, same with your memory. If you get a graphics card, make sure it fits an available slot. Make sure your OS works with your hardware. Once in awhile, Linux or another OS might not yet have a driver for super new hardware. AMD CPUs were cheaper last I looked and I've been very happy with them. Logical Increments has a website that can kind of help you get hardware in rough proportion to one another so you don't get bad bottlenecks (like, you prolly don't want God tier graphics card with shit tier CPU).

dont use magnetized tools
make sure to ground yourself first

did u spread the paste with a card? or did u just put the pea size amount and squeezed it between the cooler and cpu?
i spread my paste

I just placed a pea size amount and let the pressure do the rest

Buy an older computer for cheap. Take it apart, look at the components. Put it back together again.

There you go. This is the best and with least risk, you can learn about building computers.
This way you will only potentially fuck up 50$ of computer instead of 1000$ of computer trying to learn about it.
And you can look up potential problems you might encounter.

its not hard but this isn't actually a great time to do so do to the prohibitive cost of parts

>You have to a special type of retard to fuck up building computers nowadays

>put together first build back in HS
>everything goes fine
>time to screw down mb
>better tighten it up good
>end up snapping the head of one screw
>pc worked fine for 11 years but trying to remove the mb would have probably damaged it