/hpg/ - Headphone General

How to request purchase advice: pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub

For sub-$50 headphones and IEMs, check out the infographic in Sup Forums wiki headphone FAQ: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Headphone guide: canpicker.com/

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

chiru.no:8081/stream.flac
pmillett.com/nuhybrid.html
mouser.com/ProjectManager/ProjectDetail.aspx?AccessID=b68a30231c
ebay.com/itm/DIY-PCB-plus-Tube-NuHybrid-Headphone-Amp-using-Korg-Nutube-6P1-/162428761348?hash=item25d1823504
reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/6wdcig/bad_experience_with_schiit_audio
reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/6lnyd8/ama_request_nick_t_from_schiit_tech_support
audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/budget-dac-review-schiit-modi-2-99.1649/
audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/topping-d30-dac-measurement-and-review.2016/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I want to lick his feet.

FLAC Internet radio: chiru.no:8081/stream.flac

Only top tier headphones like the ESP-950 + Denafrips Ares allowed.

Reasons why FLAC is superior for streaming music over the Internet:

- Free, respects your freedoms
- Smaller filesize to wav, wma lossless and alac
- Original data
- Only needs 1mbit connection
- Lower algorithmic latency than opus
- Sounds better
- Lightweight compared to youtube videos
- More crisp highs, luscious lows, liquid soundstage
- Greater resolution detail
- Resolves better
- It's not the 90's anymore, you can stream FLAC

Seriously. I almost don't want to buy the fucking cans anymore because I've tried so many times. Pain in the ass.

Comfy as fuck

That's a great setup.

>no anime
>no feet
What the fuck?

I like how the black and wood tie the composition together.
Are the cock rings around the Mojo/O2 combo just there to keep it from flopping around because of short and stiff interconnects or do you use that as a portable setup?

Correct. Would you like to post some headphones instead?

Because pleather is shit tier material and headphone manufacturers are money grubbing juices who are not willing to cut even 1% of their profit margin to give us at least leather, which in my opinion, consider the surface area we're talking about for pads, should absolutely be a given at $200 and higher price ranges. **SOME** manufacturers actually give you worthy materials at that price range by the way, the Sennheiser Momentum DO use leather pads and are at no risk of flaking off whatsoever. They will only need to get changed once they flatten too much, which is probably not before at least 4 years of use considering how light the clamping force is on those cans.

Pleather, aka fake synthetic leather, is a material that doesn't take well to humidity at all. If you live in an environment that can get damp (close to the ocean, tropical..), if you sweat a lot, or if you use your headphones right after a shower and you didn't dry your hair, then your pads are going to flake off as soon as 6 months of use. It's basically what the vast majority of headphones at the $200 and under budget use when they have pads that look like leather but are not leather.

Thanks user. Still need a good full size amp to complete the setup, headphones and DAC were first on the list, had the o2 for 6 years now

I just took some of the GF's hair bands to keep it from moving around, the Mojo has little notches on the sides for rubber bands/ties so it works quite well.

Looking to get a full size amp when funds allow so i have a 'station'. at the moment this stack moves around quite a bit but at least i can transport it around the house.

>inb4 no GF

Hi degenerate footfags, anyone else using a full-fledged external audio interface as a DAC? I've been using my Focusrite 2i2's builtin DAC for my headphones and I've never bought a dedicated DAC, am I missing out?

You can post all three. They are not mutually exclusive.

fpbp

Listening with my $15 HD 201s.

They are fine as DACs amd AMPs, i actually have the 8i6, the amp can drive headphones such as the DT880 250ohms and HD600 with no problems, the DAC is fairly transparent too.

Idol trash here.
What's your setup like, user?

Get your feet out of my mouth.

>mfw waiting for my new STAX in the mail

Sure, but you have to show your headphones.

tfw fell for the hd600 meme and it ain't so bad

I know there are magni 3 measurements but I can't find them. Could someone please post them? Thank you!

Congratulations on owning the highest fidelity headphones ever made.

Best 3.5mm jack speakers for under $50?

Need it for a laptop with a midi keyboard.

Mid & treble would be probably more important than lows/bass (don't want it non-existent though).

Preferably portable, needs to be moved around frequently, don't want a super heavy subwoofer.

Couple years ago I traded my likely fake bose qc15's for ATH-M50's.
What should I trade these for?

>they bought Shit

btw headhpones are for full plebs

Good to know, I'll keep using it then.

>school idol festival
What the fuck is that pic.

Congratulations on posting this meme again.

>chiru.no:8081/stream.flac
Horrible music

umi, from love live.

Why?

So I can bookmark them this time? I'm shopping for a new dac/amp. Through up between like a nfb11, topping d30+magni 3, or maybe the element.

O2 + OL DAC, the only true transparent combo at any price point

Only measurements of the Magni 3 are on Schiit's website, there are no 3rd party graphs for now. Feedback varies but a few reviewers have said it was slightly V-shaped.

>but a few reviewers have said it was slightly V-shaped

Don't feel bad user, there's no shame in liking V-shaped sound on HD600s.

These animu girls look so imposing.

o2 can't drive my he-6 I dont think

Element has the same transparency but with more power and better looks, there's a few b-stocks right now for $300 so you might be looking at it

Thoughts on AIAIAI TMA-2?

Microscope shot of nuhyrid tube

glow shot edition

For the he-6 get the emotiva basx a-100 and put the jumpers to get the full 50w to the headphone out

Gotta admit it's pretty. Has that cyberpunk glow.

Yo where do I get the parts for this shit?

Mouser has a BOM.

pmillett.com/nuhybrid.html
mouser.com/ProjectManager/ProjectDetail.aspx?AccessID=b68a30231c
ebay.com/itm/DIY-PCB-plus-Tube-NuHybrid-Headphone-Amp-using-Korg-Nutube-6P1-/162428761348?hash=item25d1823504

Neat. All avail in eu except the usa plug (ofc).
Total 48€. Doesn't include the PCB I guess.

Does this headphone exist? If not, what would be the most similar one you know?

Yeah the tube alone is ~$50 and he sells the pcb + tube for $50 on ebay. Cool dude

v moda m-100 silver

Neat.
Good news is, the MSR7 is on its way. Estimated delivery Monday.

Thats pretty slow lol.

I went with the cheapest shipping, ofc.

So you could put that money towards a niptube? Wink wink nudge nudge. Ive heard that bright headphones desire tubes

You're such demon on my ear whispering tempting words.

Just gotta wait for my amp now...

All I've ever listened to before are shitty earbuds. I came into some big money and got o2 amp, modi 2, and HD600 for the hell of it. How likely is it that a pleb like me will even notice a difference?

What are these screenshots from, user?

You'll notice the difference if you use the HD600 for a while and then try to go back to your earbuds.

Try whatanime.ga.

>modi 2
ya blew it

Why's that? It hasn't shipped yet so I could cancel , but it seems pretty good.

Cancel first research later. There's a reason people like are buying the topping over modi

Schiit is frankly shit.

Is Mr.Speakers a meme shilled by trusted reviewers like tyll just because they know each other or are they actually decent headphones? I'm thinking of getting Aeons.

This guy has a modi

Why though

Tyll and mr.speakers are buddies. Tyll is heavily biased

mid fi trash

reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/6wdcig/bad_experience_with_schiit_audio

reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/6lnyd8/ama_request_nick_t_from_schiit_tech_support

So basically it's fine if it works but if not customer support will be a bitch? Meh I'll risk it

No it measures poorly too and has a lot of usb emi issues. I dont know why he linked those instead of the measurements

No, the Modi 2 is doubly shit.

audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/budget-dac-review-schiit-modi-2-99.1649/
audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/topping-d30-dac-measurement-and-review.2016/

why buy a bunch of shit meh-fi cans instead of pooling your money together to get a decent mid-fi can ? I can understand buying one pair of entry level meh-cans and then upgrading but all you did was sidegrade and downgrade.

I'm "this guy". Modi 2 Uber. The usb powered, standard "modi 2" just isn't good for its cost. In the first place you do likely not need a DAC.
I do, because my board is fucked. So I use the spdif coax from workstation, optical from ps3, usb from my server.
uae23, topping d30, odac, oldac are better choices I'd go with if I was buying right now.
I do love my Modi 2 Uber though, and I'm not about to get rid of it.

Not identical, but Pioneer's Monitor 10 comes close in looks.

So many. Perhaps consider getting HD600 next?

Alright you guys convinced me kek I cancelled it and ordered the topping

You can find used benchmark dac1s at a really good price these days. I've seen some change hands for under $400, for the early version without USB input.

Bought the M50s like 6 years ago because Sup Forums meme. Hated the comfort so I bought a used pair of DT 770s for a little under the price of the M50s and had it plugged into my vintage receiver. Wanted open cans next so I bought the HD 598 and they were way better than any of those. Joined the HD 6XX drop recently and bought an OL DAC and Magni 3 in preparation for it, currently running the 598 off them.

You're even pairing it with an o2... if it was me I'd have gone with the odac or the oldac for that, objective all the way rather than part-way.
My Magni 2 Uber (and the newer Magni 3, I'm told) is awesome, but my Modi 2 Uber is just OK. I mean, it's an expensive DAC and it has the right inputs and it looks pretty under the magni, but I am aware I spent too much money on it. The topping does the same things cheaper.

Oh, forgot to say, the HD600 and O2 were good choices :)
What are your previous headphones? You're so likely gonna get mindblown by your new setup. Here I'm waiting for some MSR7 to arrive early next week; Waiting for new headphones is exciting.

I've only tried their closed back versions, and from what I've heard their open variant is better, but personally I'd buy something else.

Aeon Flow Closed shat the bed on a few songs, Ether C was better but not worth the money.

Can you show us the entire enclosure? Curious about this.

I wish they never discontinued these. You could pick them up off amazon for under 200 bucks at one point. Fucking awesome cans.

>Perhaps consider getting HD600 next?
This is a great idea, since they are the most high quality headphones at any price.

Nice to see a bit of variety in this thread not just hd600s.

sure, it is meant to be exposed top. low voltage tube stage

I'm thinking of buying the HD 800 S
Currently I have a dragonfly red + O2

Do I need to buy anything else to get the absolute best from the HD800s?
Or is anything better snake oil

I'm sorry sir, but the HiFiMAN HE400S is an even more high quality headphone around the same price.

Sup Forums, I need headphone recommendations.

>up to $400
>USA
>Mostly will be used for games and watching movies
>Full sized
>Closed
>Needs to be comfy
>Would like to have a good amount of bass for explosions and things
>Won't be using an amp

>Would like to have a good amount of bass for explosions and things
>Won't be using an amp
taction kannon can go boom boom without an amp

spend some of that budget on an amp