/spg/ - Smartphone General

Austin Evans Edition

If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget and size.

Good resources:
>Reviews, specs, comparisons
gsmarena.com
phonearena.com
kimovil.com

>Frequency checker
willmyphonework.net
frequencycheck.com

>Chinkphone news
gizchina.com
gizmochina.com

>Recommended Chinkphones
pastebin.com/eMtwGjJX (embed) (embed)

>Post a mini-review of your phone
>Discuss upcoming and current models
>Ask for help related to phones
>Tell us how much shekels you spent on good/bad phone
>PRAISE THE CHINKPHONES
>Mobile World Congress 2018 starts February 26th

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

chinkshit.xyz/infographic.pdf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

fuck austin evans and fuck you pseudo-intellectual kids who are actually just consumer whores

Is E4 Plus any good?

His teeths are unsettling.

>willingly watching advertisements

BUY BUY BUY BUY BUY BUY BUY BUY BUY

WOW HEY GUISE CHECK OUT THIS COOL NEW PRODUCT THAT I AM GETTING PAID TO SHILL FOR

YEHA GUYS THIS IS AN AMAZING PRODUCT TOTALLY WORTH IT

buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy

At least he admits it early in the video he's being paid to shill, cut him some slack

Rumor: Sony Xperia XZ Pro

>Dual 18mp and 12mp rear facing cameras
>13mp front facing camera
>Snapdragon 845
>6 GB of ram
>128 GB of storage
>IP68 dust and water resistance
>3420 mAh battery
>5.7 in 4k OLED with 18.9 aspect ratio

>le meximum MEGAPIXELS

Sony photo processing is garbage and their cameras can't even compete with Pixel or iShit

What would be an upgrade from my Moto X Pure (clark) for say

>being so autistic that you willingly watch commercials as entertainment

pic related (it is you)

Hey guys, this is autism

Daily reminder to not buy Huawei phones outside of Europe otherwise you'll never get updates ever again. Just don't buy their shit.

That nearly perfectly describes me. Help me.

I'm training to become an electrician, any worthwhile phones with FLIR?

actually learn about technology and how computers work

dont just sit there and look at promotions for products

start here:
have an old phone/computer?
take it apart, put it back together

Phone like this, why it's too much to ask?

Just slap it on any Z series Moto.

Is the Honor 7x am upgrade from the LG Stylo 3 plus?

Is there a reason NOT to buy the Xiaomi mi a1?, the only thing I could come up with is that I don't know how good or shitty is the warranty experience from this company (on top of that its from China) and the new Nokia 6 is coming soon with allegedly better specs.

Vanilla android is extremely tempting

ios here wanting to switch
is there an android phone that gets regular updates forever?

Moto G5+, G5S+ or the Honor 7X?

Google phones do

Yeah but that's fucked up design. Why the fuck screen doesn't curve?

pixels, perhaps the new nokias and while somewhat of an underdog, Xperias have a good record.

Just avoid anything from samsung, moto or huawei if you're after meaningful updates.

Good replacement for a Nexus 5X?
Thinking of just buying another one for when this one finally dies
>mfw a phone from 2015 has android 8.1.0 but an LG V20 flagship from a year ago doesn't

It does

Honor 7X

Best linux phone?

best smartphone is pixel 2xl which is 900usd but u can get same experience with xiaomi mi a1 which comes with android one pure android and its 230 usd

I have the stylo 2. How is the 3? What carrier do you have? I want to get out of boost asap

Why though?

Chinkshit is terrible

I'm I the only cuck who will be buying this overpriced shit?

I'd consider xiaomi if it wasn't for the anons telling me that the reception is shit in the US

Does this look like a budget phone to normies? It does have big bezels but it's also huge, slightly bigger than an iPhone 6/7 Plus

Just that one by cat. Probably the only one desu.

>buying my first smartphone,
>current phone is around 5 years old
Thinking about Pixel 2 but they don't seem durable at all and really big but that is probably an issue with most phones right now except maybe CAT, right?
I need something with a really good camera for videos and photos, SD and headphone jack would be a plus but not a big deal.

Thanks famicom, I was hoping there were more but I guess not. Kinda gimmicky

Xiaomi mi a1 or redmi 5 plus? Both are similarly priced and with similar specs, so im not sure which is better.

Have been using a s7 edge since it first came out. Thinking about downsizing and going with an iphone SE. The small size, decent hardware, and IOS sounds appealing to me. Has anyone here made this kind of switch? What can I expect?

Typing on the SE blows ass. I had to download the Google keyboard and type using the swipe feature

do nano liquid screen protectors/coatings work? i don't care about scratch or shatter protection, i just want to know if they make plain glass feel slick and help against fingerprints and smudges

tell me what phone this is user

doing this except going to dumb phone, because don't need a computer in my pocket and don't want crapple shit

Samsung A8 (2018)

I currently have an Axon 7 which I'm looking to replace. I think a Redmi 5 plus is my best option. I can only get 3.5 hours of screen on time on my phone so I want better battery life. Should I get it or should I wait what 2018 brings?

>overpriced
I haven't seen a price

>buying any samshit except the flagships
how many gpu cores? why not a redmi note 5 plus?

if that's an MP1 or MP2 that's some bs for a 2018 phone

lol i botched that name i meant redmi 5 plus

I asked this in the last thread but I didn't really get a response:

>OPPO R11
>OPPO R9s Plus
Does the R9s still hold up and will it hold up in like a years time? A mate got the r9 in a pretty good deal a while ago, and it's already a great deal cheaper than the R11, and even the r9s Plus is still cheaper than the R11. I don't wanna get left behind is all.

Can i run GTA V at lowest settings in a T440p with a GT 730m 1GB?

WTF is microG and WTF is Open GApps?

I flashed Open GApps Micro per recommendation on my Lineage but I don't like the persistent google search bar on my homescreen and how that implies there's a bunch of other google shit going on behind the scenes.

Does a 64 bit processor on a phone give my any benefit over phones that dont use processors of the kind?

Is giving someone a bootloader-unlocked Android phone dangerous for someone who is tech-illiterate and couldn't even fathom booting into recovery?

I have a phone I want to give to a friend that was once unlocked/rooted, and it seems getting the exact right ROM for my phone is impossible because of the model. I found one that sort of works and flashed that, and it gets OTA updates now, but it claims to be unlocked still.

What's a good phone that runs near stock Android with an LCD display and is future proof?

I don't want AMOLED burn in

2 main benefits:
>newer, better performance and/or power efficiency
>more future proof, apple already dropped 32-bit support, some android app developers might drop 32-bit support relatively soon

Ok, I was told to also look at clock speeds and IPC but I figure if it was 64 bit I'd be fine

Probably a dumb question but I'm traveling soon and my phone will have full coverage except for 2/4 LTE bands. Is this doable or should I just get a local phone?

$500 For the non plus and $600-700 for the plus

Because I fucking hate EMUI MIUI crap

microG is a project that attempts to make open source versions of the google apps and framework. Open gapps is are the regular closed source apps, but in a form that can be inserted easily into custom roms.

Can someone give me suggestions for a new device? Replacing my Nexus 6, looking for another Android phone preferably around the same size.

Budget is about $700 Canadian.

I have a Xperia Z3 Tablet that I like so I was thinking of this.

Yay or nay?

Is this piece of shit any good? what's the advantage of this over a Meizu (pic related)

Galaxy S8 or iPhone X? real question. don't need the size, just looking for cool features

X - better camera, selfies, social stuff, green bubbles, bullshit etc.

S8 - desktop PC capable, better OS, customizable, etc

not super social, just need a good phone that doesn't make me look poor

S8 because of better application store, change default apps like samsung video player to vlc, file viewer, and can easily install apk's. Apple doesn't have any of these and for me that's a deal breaker. The dumb features are nice and cool on iphone, but for what you lose it's not worth it.

Pixel 2 is durable compared to all-glass chassis like the iPhone and S8 and it feels pretty good in the hand. Its an aluminum build with a hard plastic/glass but personally I prefer just straight aluminum builds. The big problem would be headphone jack and SD. I don't use a headphone jack much outside of my car and I already own bluetooth headphones so it didnt bother me much. The no SD thing is a load though, as it forces you to pay for more storage on an already expensive-as-shit phone. Just my thoughts.

Youll fit in more with an iPhone, but honestly the only real decider between the two is which ecosystem you like more. Most phones have basically the same specs and shit like cameras are the only thing to differentiate them.

>poor

Galaxy A8 or iPhone SE

Looking at the OnePlus 5t right now. Are there any phones in similar size/price ranges that I should check out before I pull the trigger?

Get the Galaxy, iphones are for iphags.

I need a new phone to replace my Galaxy S6 anons, budget around $250 max.
Would like good battery life and same or better performance overall.

chinkshit.xyz/infographic.pdf

I'd check out some of these. Cheap and very capable.

Galaxy S7

S8 active but pixel 2 with a big case would work as well.
Nokia and Sony
X or wait for s9 to get announced before deciding.

>Motorola adopting the notch for upcoming 2018 devices

I'm going to buy the S8. I don't need more storage because of the SD compatibility, so Samsung wins with features and the ability to customize

>not super social, just need a good phone that doesn't make me look poor

Do people actually judge others based on the phone they use?

Should I be worried about using a Moto phone in public?

I have a Pixel 2 with a big case and it's tough as nails

What's going on with the LineageOS nightly builds for the Galaxy S5. There hasn't been a nightly in two weeks. Pretty terrible timing considering this whole Meltdown/Specter business

I really feel bad for saying this, but I recently tried out an iPhone 8 and it felt really fast and comfy. And all the girls in my texts noticed I switched to iPhone and complimented the change. I almost felt like I belonged in an iPhone community.

I'm glad to be back on my Android tho

>use open source Turbo Editor v1.19 for years
>recently try to find it it in f-droid repo
>it's not showing up
>see it in Play Store as v2.4 with shiny new logo with "Pro" version beside it
>download, install, and run
>xprivacy alerts that it's asking for GPS and a bunch of other questionable permissions all at once

That's probably why. Taking longer to get a stable build on the current security release.

App stores were always a mistake.

I have a Moto G4 and I'm getting "No SIM card" errors.
If I power off then back on or force restart I'll have service for about 5 mins before losing it.
If I pop the back off and unplug and replug the card in I get service for about 2 mins.
What should I do?

OnePlus 5T or Galaxy S8 ?
I can get the 5T for much cheaper but I'm unsure if the difference is worth the price for the S8.

What is the best shot for your buck phone in medium price point?

It is a very decent phone for the price. The only fucked up thing is that Xiaomi hasn't released the kernel for this phone (as it promised) which really limits the number of custom ROMs you could get for it.

No FM radio. Dealbreaker for me.
>inb4 yes, there is a radio chip but it's not easily accessible via software

Got one in the mail yesterday. Works well though I'm stuck on november update and it doesn't seem to want to update yet for a reason.

Any decent chinkphones with a design similar to Xperia flagships?

That's a piece of shit compared to the tablet. Get a Z2 or Z3 or some shit.

Is the Xiaomi Mi A1 a good upgrade from the Redmi 3 Pro?

Looking for ver good cameras and Good battery life.
Plus: lineage os support
No iOS or Pixel, pls

So the GOAT custom rom setup is basically AOSP-based ROM w/o gapps with magisk and xprivacy right?

I was thinking the same. I decide to wait for note 5, the m1 a1 hardware is almost the same.

I would say no, unless your redmi 3 pro is only 2gb ram

S8 has a better camera but it also has touchwiz.
Everything else is pretty much the same so you're only paying more for the camera basically.

Is it worth it for 30 Euro?
It's still sealed and I wanna use it for 3rd/4th phone maybe music player since it's small
Anyone knows if it runs Viber?