/flt/ - Friendly Linux Thread

Previous thread: Welcome to /flt/ - Friendly Linux Thread.
Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly Linux Thread. ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources[*].

If you would like to try out Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine using VirtualBox or other software made for this purpose for safety reasons.
1) Use the Live ISO (if your distribution of choice has one) to boot directly into the Linux distribution without installing anything, that way, you can get to experience the Linux operating system without installing it.
2) Dual boot the Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS, this is recommended if you want to know more about the Linux operating system.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with Linux.

* Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine (searx, ixquick, duckduckgo, whatever.)
$ man
wiki.archlinux.org (Most troubleshoots work on all distros.)
wiki.gentoo.org (Please see comment above.)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux
linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
Trying to run Linux on an old computer?
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lightweight_Linux_distribution

>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications

>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
bropages.org/

>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
explainshell.com/

=== Users of other open source Unix-like operating systems like BSDs, Hurd, illumos, PureDarwin, etc. - feel free to join the discussion! ===

Other urls found in this thread:

manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/zesty/man1/alien.1p.html
lmgtfy.com/?q=How to install Wine with Gallium nine on %yourdisto%
github.com/gonginnig/spectre-meltdown-checker
news.ycombinator.com/item?id=16171249
theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/3024623/google-ditches-ubuntu-for-debian-from-internal-engineering-environment
youtube.com/watch?v=F0b4I89LY5E
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

"Lucky" Baytrail user here.
Which linux should i go for?
Something nonfree capable for the sound and wifi and microcode.
a non-fork distro please and thank you
Baytrail = 32 bit UEFI, Legacy Free

Install Gentoo.

Linux is a kernel. The OS is called GNU/Linux, or as I've recently been calling it GNU+Linux.

fuck off stallman, your bundle of tools is a tiny part of what most people install on their Linux os

95% of my time with computers I use GNU tools.

I'm going to get a T430 soon, should I install Fedora or Mint or something else? I'm going to use it for college, which is mainly coding, are there any programs that don't have a linux version that I would need?

has anybody else noticed debian's default bashrc is broken and forces some terminals to have a colored prompt ?

Anyone uses Evolution and knows if there's a preference somewhere that will allow me to view inbox when clicking on account name instead of having to expand it and then clicking on inbox? I looked around but couldn't find anything about it.

I love xfce but why can't thunar remember individual folder settings? so annoying

Using default files instead of recreating everything.

n=1

>words can't have two meanings
Imagine suffering from THIS level of retardation!

??????

>/flt/
>fglt.png
op is a fgt

Both fine. Linux is great for coding, I don't see why that should be a problem.

Installing Alpine Linux.

When it asks which Harddrive and SYS/LVM/DATA etc..

I type "sda" (no quotes)

i then try "sys" (again no quotes)

Error is as follows..

Error: Unsatisfiable Constraints
SFDISK and SYSLINUX

What am I doing wrong? Not being connected to the internet perhaps? (Im not connected)

Did you try lsblk?

lsblk: Not Found

and
find /sys -type f -name dev | grep block

Cool, probably going to try Fedora. Is there something like the bumblebee status bar for i3, but for xcfe?

Look up installation vids on yewchube

Sorry I thought you had problem with Arch, I know nothing about Alpine. Sorry.

Fixed :^)

I've been using xubuntu for about 3 years now
I want to do a fresh install
Convince me to use something else

The beauty of gnu/linux is that you have so many flavours. Why would anyone try to convince you?

nice numerals
bc I want exactly what is in your pic rel
I was thinking about trying something new out
I was eying with the xfce fedora, debian and arch as well, but fedora seems abandoned (at least I see no talk about it on Sup Forums) and the other two seems like a lot of hassle

fedora is in no way abandoned, it's just less known than debian or arch

and does it have up to date packages?
I like to play around with the newest sepples features
the main reason for my fresh install is I did an upgrade to ubuntu 17, and clang, gcc, their libraries and the versions of the libraries got somehow mixed up
it'd be nice to get g++-7 and clang++-5 by default

How's Debian a hassle?

I believe they have different tiers of repos you can pull from, including the bleeding edge

Manjaro xfce is beautiful out of the box.

REAL THREAD REAL THREAD REAL THREAD

I don't know, this is just a feeling I had after minimal research :^)

I see thanks

>numix by default
nice

Thx for spreading it.

nvidia is a pain in the ass, do much tearing.
On xfce there is compton, i used it on my debien
But now i have a ubuntu with gnome, i don't really know what alternative is better. I set in best performance, and ye, performance, but still screentearing.
In my nvidia xconfig i don't have "force full composition" or something like that.
So...[end of blog]

Use alien, user.
manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/zesty/man1/alien.1p.html

>In my nvidia xconfig i don't have "force full composition"
Turn it on

Pardon me for one moment. What you are calling Linux, is in actuality, GNU/Linux, or as I have nicknamed it, GNU plus Linux. Linux isn't an operating system by itself, but it is just another part of the GNU system, which has been extended in functionality via various GNU components (including GNU's shell utilities and corelibs) which only then fit the definition of a complete operating system as outlined by POSIX.

There are many people today who are running the GNU operating system without even being aware of it. Through a strange turn of events, a misnomer has emerged where people refer to a widely used version of the GNU system as "Linux", unaware that the proper name for the system they run is the GNU operating system.

Now while they are in fact using Linux, it is only one component of the system that they run. Linux is used as the kernel: the part of an operating system which distributes a machine's resources to other programs which request them. While this functionality is essential for the successful functioning of a system, it cannot function on its own, it needs an operating system within which it can carry out its functions. Linux is commonly paired with the GNU operating system: the entirety of the system is GNU with the addition of Linux, or GNU/Linux. Every single "Linux Distribution" is actually a distribution of GNU/Linux.

Xfce has its own bar and you can pretty much right-click configure it. Fedora is rpm based and mint is deb based. I suggest getting mint because more packages, better suited for desktop use than fedora. If expect to have any contact with rhel or suse or centos systems/servers, get fedora.

What's the performance difference for using glibc vs muslc in gentoo. Are there reasons to use muslc?

Performance-wise, glibc is usually slightly faster, but that comes at a cost: it has a much larger memory footprint. It's basically a trade-off between CPU and RAM.

Are there any tutorials available to install Wine with Gallium nine?

Installing Ubuntu 16.04LTS right now. Any resources on hardening or securing it?

lmgtfy.com/?q=How to install Wine with Gallium nine on %yourdisto%
That stupid?
Add repo, type %package-manager% -install wine-gallium-nine or whatever

Or make and after sudo make install.
Easy.

I'm a life long Windows user who is fed up. Most of the tutorials i've seen are rather old, and no longer work.

Using google or other duckducks doesn't requite to be a linux user.

>based on arch

So guys, my computer's been acting weird since I ran this Meltdown checker script: github.com/gonginnig/spectre-meltdown-checker

I don't know what's going on. Could it be that something about it messed up my CPU?

I'm running Mint LMDE btw.

i can only imagine the possibilities of fucking things up with this.

you are discouraged installing rpms meant for one rpm distro to another rpm distro, let alone converting a package from a deb distro into rpm.

>beautiful
questionable

Good job you've got a bitcoin miner installed now

Dat script just auto-patched your computer, don't worry brah.

bait
you made this after reading that other thread obviously

Why is it that when I try to pump a URL into VLC or MPV for a livestream on youtube, it fails to play it? VLC just sits there, and MPV says it's playing but doesn't play at all. I just wanna listen to the music streams without having my browser open.

It's possible YouTube has updated its API and VLC hasn't caught up yet.

I was looking at my folder and one of them says

drwxrws

what the fuck is s? folders can only b r w or x

Google employs do dev job on Linux Desktop dont macs

news.ycombinator.com/item?id=16171249

That's called the setgid flag. Files and subfolders created inside that folder will inherit the folder's group instead of the creating user's.

WRONG
it's called a sticky bit
setgid is S not s

fricking brainlets... i swear to god

i am on arch right now and reading everywhere that arch isn't "minimal" question is now should i go to void or to debian?

Nope no gentoo, i am not autistic enough for that hardcore shit!

Linux has no desktop

Of course not, it's a kernel.

You are incorrect.
Sticky bit is an o+t.
Setgid is a g+s.
Setuid is an u+s.

#!/bin/sh
command input.file output.file

how to have output.file name be input0.file or input1.file if input0.file exists etc?
>so for example a file saved from Sup Forums
command 1485998227581.jpg 14859982275810.jpg
>or
command 14859982275810.jpg 14859982275811.jpg
>or if 14859982275811.jpg exists
command 14859982275811.jpg 14859982275812.jpg

What is the most popular / easy to use virtualization software for Linux? (Using Ubuntu 17)

I need to do some build work in Windows, but I dont want to use my windows machine, I figured i'd try to virtualize windows (I'm used to it being the other way around.

I'm having a hard time getting Virtualbox installed, is there anything else out there that i'm missing that works/easy to use?

How do I add an icon to a program? I downloaded waterfox but it doesn't have an icon attached to the program and it's getting on my autism. xUbuntu. Also, where do I put my program files so I can access them from the terminal?

What's a better combo: Gnome + i3 or KDE + i3 (on Arch Linux).
I know the best one is with Xfce but I want to try something new.

How is debian more minimal than arch?

ok, quick question
i'm running manjaro, have separated home partition, want to hop to debian based distro...

what will happen with my current setup?

theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/3024623/google-ditches-ubuntu-for-debian-from-internal-engineering-environment

uh-oh

debian splits packages in a way that prevents users from installing unnecessary shit, and provides a huge binary repo that prevents users from needing build deps

Low to make gni/linux consume less power?

since supposedly nvidia drivers with kernel >4.10 and xorg>1.19 can do proper vsync on optimus laptops, has anyone had any success on ubuntu 16.04/17.10 ? i keep windows on my laptop because it works that way, but would happily move to linux if someone would confirm and provide imput.

So like

[Trigger]
Operation = Upgrade
Type = Package
Target = linux

[Action]
When = PostTransaction
Exec = /home/user/my_script.sh

Is there any significant advantage to android dev on linux instead of Windows?

After using kubuntu/arch for a while I am realizing that going back to windows for everything would be the most ideal out of the 3, hackintosh stability being a nuisance

*buntu 18.04 when?

Android dev on Windows is unsupported.

>its in the number

4th month of 2018 when?

I just installed the net install of Debian on my Dell XPS13 (9360)

I ran into no issues during the install, but after install it seems I can't boot from my SSD. I can see the SSD from the Legacy Boot, but not UEFI. When I try from the Legacy Boot, it fails.

God damn it it seems like KDE auto mounts some of my drives and my script won't work because dd can't copy something to a "Read-only" drive

I want to encrypt my HDD and I was told to use luks instead of Veracrypt, I searched a tutorial and got this:

youtube.com/watch?v=F0b4I89LY5E

Honestly, what's the point? it's too autistic, I will screw up and be less safe than using Veracrypt. Why bother? both will encrypt the drive with uncrackable cryptography, and with Veracrypt you get an easy GUI to not fuck it up during the process. You can also easily select AES+Whirlpool+Serpent combo with SHA512 for maximun paranoid mode, trying to do anything with luks it's a mess.

Can you tell me why should I bother learning how to do it with luks?

Is pacaur still the best AUR package manager?

Yes

>all these non-kernel related questions in a kernel thread

Anyone? I started up a live CD and am able to mount my ssd. No idea why I can't boot into it

Repositories unavailable in ubuntu zesty but i found a way and it upgrades to 'artful'.
>sudo apt-get do-release-upgrade
Problem solved, repos were unavailable because major update and deprecated sources.list.
zesty was faster

I installed amdgpu but now I get segfaults when X starts
plasmashell[843]: segfault at 555b43e7e8dc ip 00007f8f2fd150f0 sp 00007ffc3cb31d58 error 4 in libc-2.26.so[7f8f2fbe0000+1ae000]
Anyone knows how to fix this? using lcarlier mesa-git

See

LUKS is fucking simple with or without LVM, and supported by many utilities as well as backed in the kernel and really simple to even reimplement if needed.

Veracrypt is exotic gui shit that makes it hard to even mount the drive at boot. And presumably almost no one will ever reimplement much.

>Linux has 2 meanings
Nobody said that's not possible, but who said that's the case?
As far as I know Linux Torvalds never announced that he was starting an entire system and that it was going to be called "Linux". The "GNU project" on the other hand was exactly that.

So I agree that things can have 2 meanings, but what makes you think that honor goes to Linux and not GNU? GNU could just as easily mean both GNU software and could refer to the entire system as a whole even non-gnu software.
And as I said, this was actually the intention of GNU all along. Not Linux. So which one is more reasonable?

What would you do if your top bar in gnome became all white and refuse to change ?

Install Lumina.

Switch to Intel or Nvidia.

XD

I'm bored. Need a Debian-ish system for home use, preferably with a lot of friendly packages already installed (I don't care about bloat). I'm installing it to see how well I can run a few of my favorite games in Wine, to see if it's viable to get off Windows completely.

What distro should I use? Note that I'm about RHCSA level skill in Linux, I'm just asking here because I didn't want to make a new thread.

Pic related, mainly trying out Tekken 7

Make sure you don’t have a login manager enabled and try startplasmacompositor then lmk shat happens