/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previous thread: /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread
Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Your friendly neighborhood search engine.
>b-but what search engines respect my privacy and freedom of speech?
Try qwant, searx, ixquick or startpage.
>b-but what e-mail providers respect my privacy and freedom of speech?
Try autistici or aktivix.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Sup Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
bropages.org/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: /fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Other urls found in this thread:

strawpoll.me/14868040
wiki.debian.org/SynapticsTouchpad#Enable_tapping_on_touchpad
warosu.org/g/?task=search&ghost=&search_text=hi ben
desuarchive.org/trash/thread/13304594/#13305043
bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=865
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

kakimaki

Bump!!!!!!Fuck the other thread

FGLT

the g stands for GNU Emacs

why is archlinux making me double click my right mouse button to active a right click in chromium? It does happen on the desktop or in other applications.

strawpoll.me/14868040
strawpoll.me/14868040
strawpoll.me/14868040

>only one option can be chosen
>no dual boot option
shit poll

All of you can go to heck!

fug
forgot dual boot existed.

*dual boots behind you*

hehh.. nothing personnel, kiddo

Selection clearly behaves not normally.
Is there a fix?
Running openSuse 42.1

Maybe something wrong with your fonts.

Forgot to mention, PCManFM from LXDE.

What could be wrong?

I once screwed up the fontconfig such that the selection would be "Offset". Don't remember exactly

How can I make my fonts look like this? I'm using XFCE

forgot pic

install crappy bitmap font and remove/backup /etc/fonts/conf.d/70-no-bitmaps.conf

Got any examples of crappy bitmap font?

or disable anti-aliasing on your fonts

What fontconfig, could you say me?
Also, there is some screwed behaviour of moving icons. I can't enable to align icons always by grid, and icons' moving strangely affects position of other icons. Can it be fixed?

Disable font anti-aliasing and use some serif font.

Am I the only one who hates drop-down terminals? What exactly is the point of them? Why not just open a regular terminal?

Oh, here's the right thread. For a moment I felt fooled by CIA niggers.

>>>/poll/

What was he smiling about?

is this the new ((screen|neo)fetch|desktop) thread?

What about the GTK body font that they're using?

Use some sans-serif font.

How do I make it look good without anti-aliasing tho?

Doesn't it look good?

of course it does, you made it

not really
huh?

kek you need to install a font design for use without anti-aliasing i.e. a bitmap.

now where for fuck's sake is my cellular modem with a screen

ah okay
what's a good one that you'd recommend?

4.9.0-4-686-pae #1 SMP Debian 4.9.65-3+deb9u1 (2017-12-23) i686 GNU/Linux

on
This is xfwm4 version 4.12.4 (revision 7844952) for Xfce 4.12
Released under the terms of the GNU General Public License.
Compiled against GTK+-2.24.31, using GTK+-2.24.31.

installed this morning.
No touchpad "tap to click" anywhere. No support in debian or?

What's this font? This font may not be suited for use without AA. On the other hand, you may haven't enabled full hinting.

omg why is Debian still on 4.9
ask ben, the person you're trying to emulate here:

uh I forget what it was, lol
I did have full hinting enabled though
is Ben here?

yeys, now look at the ss agains and see if you can spot where it say which font he got

pls reply

oh i see now
that doesn't say the titlebar font though
and why do my fonts still look shittier than his

It's disabled by default, at least it was for me.

See wiki.debian.org/SynapticsTouchpad#Enable_tapping_on_touchpad

try cropping titlebar and plugging it in here if you can't wait until ben can answer the question. although I'm sure he has already.
try searching the archive for posts about ben. people usually say hi to him.
warosu.org/g/?task=search&ghost=&search_text=hi ben

tried that, it leads to booting into tty1 and no X

yeah I've been trying those but haven't found anything yet
I got the screenshot from this /trash/ thread that he posted in desuarchive.org/trash/thread/13304594/#13305043
I actually asked him about the fonts there but I didn't really get all the answers I was looking for

I mean I'm not helpless and looking for a spoofeeding, I'll just use the keyboard instead.

I'm wondering though why would you remove such a useful feature.

Wait, it has AA.

yeah I realized that after I saw this screenshot it looks like he has aa enabled for gtk but disabled for the titlebar/window manager
is that possible to do in xfce?

It looks like he's using Openbox for WM.

I see, but I'm using XFCE right now

IIRC, you can use other WM for XFCE.

oh ok
I'd rather not tinker around with all that though. If there's no way to do it in xfwm I'll just drop it

If you're setting your font in a config file using "xft" then you can change antialiasing and hinting by appending ":antialias=0" or ":hinting=0". For example:
xft:Font_Name:antialias=0:hinting=0:pixelsize=12

I'm just setting it from the xfce settings right now. Is there a config file for the gtk font somewhere?

For gtk overall? Yes there is ~/.gtkrc-2.0 and ~/.config/gtk-3.0/settings.ini
I believe this can be changed too with the GUI tool "lxappearance"

My fonts.conf doesn't have such an option.

going to try switching to linux. any recommendations for a complete beginner? everyone says ubuntu but i dont want to be a meme. help

Any Debian-like would be a solid choice. Ubuntu is one of them.

there are so many Debian like distros how do i decide which one?

Look which one has more anime wallpapers.

Just use ubuntu or one of its other flavors (xubuntu kubuntu etc) if you don't like the ui
No one will call you a meme, it's perfectly acceptable for beginners.

Install Gentoo

what would be better of Xubuntu and Kubuntu? are they the same besides desktop environment? i dont want to use standard ubuntu i dont like the way it looks (assuming thats cause of its unity but im not sure.) according to google xubuntu is for a less powerful computer? so should i go with kubuntu since my machine is relatively modern?

Welp, I tried LXDE on Ubuntu and it has other spacing of the label. What should I look for?
Icons still move weirdly BTW.

For Ubuntu I'd add that it has fixed behavior of setxkbmap. I mean, just look at this:
bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=865

Yeah they're the same except for the desktop environment. If you don't like the look of Unity then these are for you.

If you do have a less powerful computer then you should use XFCE (Xubuntu's DE) over KDE (Kubuntu's DE), but it's not necessarily the other way around. I have a relatively powerful computer that could run KDE fine but I use XFCE just because I prefer a more lightweight one. It's all up to personal preference. Try them both out in a VM before installing one to see which one you like better. And keep in mind that the default theme can always be customized to your liking in both of them.

Why are drawing/painting programs in linux so shitty? Photoshop CS2 in wine is perfectly responsive, yet Krita and Gimp are both laggy and shit. I can't fucking draw with a tablet when the cursor jumps around away from the delayed line.

Seriously this situation doesn't seem to have changed at all in the past 15 fucking years.

- GTK/Qt got even more bloated
- Programmers don't draw (I don't say can't, they just don't), so drawing programs aren't first priority for them.

Blame poettering

For what reason?

kek

I do too. They make no sense, why would you want a pop down terminal when you can just open a normal terminal and minimize it when it's not in use?

Debian is stable. Also their 4.9 does have backported security patches like the meltdown patch.

alright ill be downloading both distros right now to try out on vm. how do i go about customizing them? good guide?

Might be that your drawing tablet has a shit GNU/Linux driver. Try searching around.

>such a beautiful Maki vector
>low resolution debian logo
this wallpaper is a crime, we should ask /w/ to do it correctly

What does /fglt/ think of nomacs?

I was the one who made the pape, I didn't make the original maki debian though. Just added the background.

Do you still have the source? We could try making one with a better Debian logo. Your concept was really cool. Did you also make the Maki vector?

No I didn't make the vector, just did the ez work of turning it into the wallpaper. I don't have the original maki vector but here's the one without the background

And here's a Satania one.

It's nice. I use it because unlike apparently every other image viewer it can open zip files that contain images, which is very convenient for hentai doujins.

Now that I look at it, the Satania one actually looks a lot higher quality than the Maki one.
I made some other papes too in different colors

This looks so much better, it is not even a contest. Care to share the others, user?

I'm trying to un-blur the maki one but my photoshop skills are failing me

alright here I'll post them all
Maybe you should try reverse-searching the maki one for one that's not blurry?

Oh yeah forgot this one

>photoshop

This
I made the papes in Gimp btw

How would I go about getting an external microphone to work on a t470 with a combination mic/headphone jack, with alsa?

I'm trying to install Xubuntu but I get stuck at the "low graphics mode" bootloop with an RX560, is there any way I can disable the GPU via the CLI and use the Intel iGPU or do I have to physically unplug it?

So, got a new PC with new SSDs for my operating systems. They used to be on one but that's now over.
They are identical 120GB SSDs. I plugged them into SATA port 1 and 2.
First I installed Windows on SATA1 and set everything up. Then I installed Kubuntu on SATA2 (selected /sdb as installation point for the Bootloader), booted into Windows and used easy BCD to create a boot menu with Windows and Kubuntu on it.
But everytime I select Kubuntu on that menu this happens.
Windows still boots perfectly normal.
The bootorder as set by the BIOS is
Windows Boot Loader
SATA1

I cannot select the second SSD (SATA2) as a boot device, despite the BIOS harddrive table listing it as connected and recognized

the font looks a lot like sony regular fixed

Simplest clipboard manager? All I want is for printscreens to save to my clipboard but I guess I need a dedicated clipboard manager

Try adding nomodeset to the kernel command line.
You should really use Grub when dual-booting. Grub will actually be able to boot Windows and GNU/Linux, but the Windows bootloader will refuse to boot anything that isn't Windows.

>the Windows bootloader will refuse to boot anything that isn't Windows.

The last 2 years of me using the windows bootloader disagree with you.
Still, GRUB is on SATA2 and the BIOS refuses to list that.
I'm now reinstalling with the bootloader being installed on /sda (SATA1)

I need to attach a usb 2.0 device to a qemu+kvm virtual machine for reasons.
the easy way is only usb1.0 and doesnt work.

Im trying to do
-device nec-usb-xhci,bus=pcie.0,id=aaa \
-device usb-host,bus=aaa.0,vendorid=0000,productid=0000\

with the vendor and product id substituted for the actual ids.
Nothing seems to be working, the machine will not post. This is a headless vps, networking is assigned by mac address so that shouldnt be the issue.

In systemctl status, I am seeing "boot failed: could not read the boot disk".
I have tried all sorts of combinations of commands, including: setting to Q35 chipset, adding device ioh3420, and a bunch of other shit that was in commands and notes I had from when I first started messing with qemu.

I really have no idea what Im doing but I do need this to work. Could someone please point me in the right direction

>BIOS refuses to list that
what

My qemu config works for usb 2.0 devices so I'll give you mine.
-device nec-usb-xhci,id=xhci \
-device usb-host,bus=xhci.0,vendorid=0xXXXX,productid=0xXXXX \