Ok Sup Forums, im gonna do it, im gonna write an OS from scratch, i'll need a logo and a name for it

Ok Sup Forums, im gonna do it, im gonna write an OS from scratch, i'll need a logo and a name for it.
Should i use assembly to start? Or should i look to another direction?

Other urls found in this thread:

redox-os.org/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Read the minix book and/or take some college courses first

look at GNU herd and think really hard on how to make it popular

ask God for the directions

Name it Wondows Lonox
after windows and linux put together

I can help you develop the kernel

If you want to write it using Rust.

you can't just smoke weed and write an OS, you fucking faggot

I'll make the logo

i got the name
Bonzo

but i am doing exactly that.
ok, i'll will check that.
Bonzo sounds good.

Windows 2.0

FagOS

I can help you virtualise driver functionality with java instead of fiddling with c++

Ask /gd/ for the logo, and make it so it can run GNU/Linux, Unix, Windows, Android, Playstation, and iOS virtually at the same time, in separate windows I guess.

Kangz - logo should be related. Nomenclature should be related (homez, cribs, sling, popo, etc).

+1

You probably should not even try to write your own OS from scratch until you've written a fair amount of kernel code for a working OS of some form. Preferable on the same ISA that you plan to write your OS for. I'll probably get shit for this but I'd write some drivers for a rasberry pi or some other SBC.

You will need to use assembly. Trying to get around that with C is basically the same as writing assembly anyway.

This is coming from a person who is a full time embedded OS developer. Its a huge task to undertake and the bottom up approach is most likely going to result in you making some design choices you'll regret.

AutismOS

we already have iOS

640x480, 16 colors display and a single audio voice. No network support.

Regards,
God

Name
GNU/Retarded
Logo - pic

Can you build/design an OS from top down?
GUI first then kernel as the last brick

Debloat OS

you take a linux based distro and replace parts one by one.. kernel last if you want to

You'd need to start with replacing X11 then, right?
Would it be a huge job with BSD how many years from a crew of 30 (from the top of my head) would it take

I'd be so cool if someone did this, but instead of going GPL went proprietary in order to bring order and direction. with BSD and GPL energy/manpower is atrophy, disseminated, hirarchy keeps everyone fixed on goals. Imagine the state of the Linux kernel without Linus Torvald as the dictator that he is now, it would be a mess (a bigger mess)

If you have to ask this here you'll not succeed

If you're building an OS from scratch just abandon the idea of a GUI. You'll struggle just to get a paging system, memory management and a scheduler working. The next thing you'd probably want is a file system. That said, you'd probably want to use either SATA/AHCI (hard to get working) or USB (extremely hard to get working).

For user IO in my opinion your better off reverting to good old 1970's tech and using a UART to make a simple shell. UARTs are the best for getting bare metal IO working, so you can even figure out why your OS is failing to start at all.

That is how PCs were done. Someone was experimenting with transistor and magic smoke escaped...

1920 x 1080, monochrome, mono audio output, dialup connections only

I'm not OP
Wouldn't the easiest be to build a GUI ontop of *BSD? Then like you said replace things for every update, every 6th month or something. I'd think the most realistic would not be from complete scratch but to build, fuse, synthesise the work of others

Okay, I'm curious, why doesn't Sup Forums go like a Motorola 6800 chip based home PC or something from the MOS 6502 line? Just work their way up the faggotry ladder?

>Rust
No.

Well if your not writing the scheduler and memory management from scratch you really are not learning that much about the kernel.

GUI's tend to sit pretty far away from the kernel. Most of the GUI code isn't even kernel code anyways.

Call it softbox and make the logo look like a box of memory foam.
All of your favorite software on a light fluffy os called softbox.
Ps your hardware will thank you later.

>from scratch
y tho
Just pick a kernel (linux or mach (non-Apple version) are good choices), add a package manager and init (sysv if you can get it to work, otherwise you're pretty much stuck with systemd), and then pick a userland.

Call it "Unfinished project #470"

>Windows
>order
>direction
>everyone fixed on goals
nigga wat

Stop being retarded. The only way your operating system will be successful is if it's embedded/rtos where people write new operating systems all the time.

Oh, and I know that Linux handles a lot of the low level hardware interfacing but I'm not sure about other OSes and you'll also have to pick software to handle networking unless you want it to all be done from command line.

MS is more like a government agency whilst Applel was run like a startup even when they weren't a startup with a visionary at the helm Bill and Steve Balmer weren not the Steve Jobs types

Bill was up there with Jobs. Steve Ballmer was always a fuckup.

>I'll need a logo and name for it.
>Should I use assembly to start?
Lmao. If these are your first thoughts, you probably can't handle it.

So many more questions with meaningful answers and you chose the most superficial. If you really want to make it from scratch, read OSdev wiki and the book that the guy writes, it gives a lot of information that you would need to scour datasheets to find out. Additionally, if you are writing it for x86, you can look at the Intel reference manual (available by a quick google search); specifically, you can look at the system programming section.

>ITT: OP finished all his javascript assignments at code bootcamp and thinks he is ready enough to write an OS
NGMI

Flashing monitor networking: 65 rapid flashes is ASCII "A"

I'll make the logo.

Go on OS Dev and look at their homebrew operating systems.

Here is a random example. Making operating systems will take you a long time and that is before you even have a gui. You have to make a kernel or use another kernel. You will also need to make a boot loader from scratch, the operating system, drivers, etc. It will be neat, but you wont have a operating system that has modern features if you build one from scratch, unless you have a team that helps you, but good luck getting a team. Do you know any assembly, OP?

If you want to code in assembly and do OS development, why not code for another operating system like React OS, Haiku, Aros, etc?

TerryADavisOS

ill make the logo

I'm not a fanboy, but a Kernel in Rust would be a nice alternative.

>im gonna write an OS from scratch
>i'll need a logo and a name for it.
>Should i use assembly to start?
its already dead

>redox-os.org/

this

Gentwo/Gen2
The logo is an inverse-Stallman
or, given you're on Sup Forums, just make an anime operating system (somehow) and call it Awoo

Read the book about project oberon by wirth. Its the easiest way to get an OS that is actually very cool. You will be writing a compiler, drivers and the OS.

A /x/ inspired OS: Ow Es (SpellOS)