/tpg/ - ThinkPad General

Old Thread: If you're looking for purchase advice, state your budget and requirements (e.g. size and performance).
>>Don't buy anything OTHER THAN IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad T, X, and W/P Series if you want the Real Business Experience™
>>Other business laptops are also welcome in /tpg/ (Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).

Recommended IBM models:
>600 series, IPS T4x or 755 series
Recommended modern models:
>X220 - 12", 768p, cheap and light
>T420 - 14", 900p, widely available, socketed CPU, Ivy Bridge installable w/ Coreboot
>W520 - 15", 1080p, Desktop Replacement, 32GB RAM on quadcore models, USB 3.0
>T440p, T540p, W540 - last ThinkPads to have replaceable CPUs, IPS displays available, chiclet
>P series - reminiscent to old build quality, top-of-the-line specs, better than most current mobile workstations, but very expensive.

Why ThinkPad?
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap
>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet
>Great durability: chassis uses a magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, with high quality plastic body panels
>Utilitarian design: e.g. indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop
>Easy to repair (most models), upgrade & maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model, spare parts easy & cheap to obtain
>The best TrackPoint, great for those who type a lot or hate swiping their fingers all over a touchpad
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support

Used laptop guides by xsauc:
dankpads.com
ThinkWiki - Info on ThinkPads & running GNU/Linux on them:
thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki
ThinkPad service guides w/ tutorial videos:
lenovoservicetraining.com/
EPP discount for new ThinkPads:
pastebin.com/JVwVGVTW
BIOS logo booru:
biosimage.booru.org/

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/KFBFi6LKSSI?t=10m51s
reddit.com/r/lightshope/comments/7mkn4i/idab_returns_january_16th/
forum.lightshope.org/search.php?author_id=13868&sr=posts&sid=7810c5f3003202e4218a52711e4c0061
youtube.com/watch?v=ijLxbk27HNs
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

First for misaligned letters.

nice crumbs

Can i run GTA V at lowest settings in a T440p with a GT 730m 1GB??

thinkpads aren't really for gaming on bro.
ask what their favorite gaming laptops are.
if you want to stay on this board then ask

Are you guys trying to get Sup Forums Karma? Anyway repost

Anyone here with a T460s - if so any thoughts?

Wanted an upgrade for my x230 and was looking at the x series for size, but it's impossible for me to find a used x series around me that has a higher resolution screen. T460s is like the same price as an x260 here, and I didn't want a T series because of size and weight, but it's like 0.04lbs heavier than my x230.

Im asking this here because i have 2 options, i can buy a T440 with no GPU for $140(With no charger) or a T440p with a GT 730m for $230, and i really don't see any reason why get the latter but i'm having a case of "Better have it and not need it than need it and don't have it".

Still looking for confirmation on this I figure it should be obvious, but should bear asking anyway. Is it better than a Toshiba Satellite A665 laptop from 2011 with 4GB RAM and a 1st gen i7 intel?

What is the best way to tighten t430 hinges

I currently have a Y260 for my work laptop (issued by my job) I had a chance to trade a mediocre desktop to a lady for a w520 (It apparently was her dead husband's) but she decided to keep it

is this the thinkcentre thread

I have the m900 as a server (FTP/PLEX)

My w520 is getting painfully heavy to carry, and the shit battery life basically forces me to carry it's massive power brick with it as well.
Because of this, I'm looking to switch to a lighter laptop with a better battery, and was considering an X230 or an X201.
Is the X201 still useable for productivity / web browsing in windows 7?
And how shit is it's screen compared to the W520's?

Just bought a T430 cheap on amazon, never had a ThinkPad before, what you guys can tell me about the T430?
I wanted a x220 or the MemePad T420 but the T430 was cheaper than they.

better battery life and processor, keyboard is worse(but backlit and thinklit), can't accept chink batteries. Otherwise identical to the t420

Have see some guys changing the keyboard, but looks like some keys and light dont work

yeah, you can change the keyboard.
but i'd keep the one you got, since there isn't a whole lot of difference and the old keyboard just looks ancient and attracts hair and fingernail clippings and other crap under it's keys.

That's a good point.
see how the processor compares to whatever you're using now.
compare the gpu to gpu's that are capable to play that game. And then make a decision.
But generally a gpu isn't worth the extra money.

ya know that's a legitimate concern for the older style island keys.
They always have some sort of junk under them even if you try to keep it clean. That's probably part of why the cumpad meme is a thing.

>pic related is my cumpad

you put the screwdriver in like so and twisty twisty

No but you can play GTA V at high setting on a T430. youtu.be/KFBFi6LKSSI?t=10m51s

T440 has a I7-4500U, T440p has a I5-4300m.

Threadly reminder to blacklist idab and T440s aswell as reporting him for breaking rule 11.

reddit.com/r/lightshope/comments/7mkn4i/idab_returns_january_16th/
forum.lightshope.org/search.php?author_id=13868&sr=posts&sid=7810c5f3003202e4218a52711e4c0061
youtube.com/watch?v=ijLxbk27HNs

>”Grow up buddy, people know me. Im famous here. “
>”Nobody actually dislikes me” -idab

I can't believe someone saved my picture! You can also see screws under the G and H keys.

I'm mostly tech illiterate and was having some problems with my T420s/modem (almost certainly the modem). Whenever I am on a video streaming site, say Twitch, I can only go a few seconds before it buffers. I also have constant disconnects from my WiFi. But when I take my laptop to my brothers place everything works perfectly. We have the same internet plan and the exact same modem, so I don't know what the problem is.

Do a latency test (Legacy Speedtest).
Reinstall Wifi Drivers?

Where should I buy thinkpad batteries /tpg/?

alliexpress for chink
ebay in the stink

>want an upgraded x series
>can't find a used one, of any model, with a higher than 1368x766 screen

Should I just bite the fucking bullet and buy a new one for like 900 dollars new. At leas then I can get the screen.

if you can try using an ethernet cable and seeing if the problem persists then its either
>drivers
and I can't think of much else

wait until 51nb releases the x210

And btw. What is the general consensus on the standard x201?
I want to get one and put the AFFS panel in it for the better screen
t. T420 user

x301 you mean?

screen resolution for the x201 is shit. 1280x800
if you can find an x201s you can get a 1440 x 900 screen for it

>screen resolution for the x201 is shit. 1280x800
>1280x800 16:10 aspect ratio is now considered shit
I want Sup Forums to leave.

Fell for the x220 meme. Recently bought another 4gb RAM stick to throw in there. It's a 1600 MHz, I already know that it will downclock to 1333. The CAS latency is 11, and it shows 1.35-1.5V. Will this pose any compatibility issue?

1440 x 900 is 16:10 ???