I want to learn Ithkuil

i want to learn Ithkuil
how do i do it

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/ADXBtcAA
ithkuil.net/04_case.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

wtf satan

is that like some language used in a video game?

> how do i do it
You don't because it's impossible

come here to post this. a fucking ANIME language

Read the book.

Good luck getting past the first chapter.

Looks like some edgy font a metal band would use

but i dont like reading

WELL BETTER GET FUCKING USED TO IT MANG

I just bought the book. What am I in for?

ask them

> what am I in for?
Complete bewilderment.

Sounds nice, actually.

how hard is it compared to espiranto, toki pona or the shitposting language Sup Forums created last month

> how hard is it compared to espiranto, toki pona or the shitposting language Sup Forums created last month
off the charts

> how hard is it compared to espiranto
If Esperanto is an centimetre, and Latin is a metre, Ithkuil is the orbit of Pluto.

Utterly alien and it would be interesting if it were real, but while studying it there's always a voice saying 'This is all made up nonsense.'

ooo

OOO

how hard it compared to finnish

>I want to waste a few hours on some meme garbage just to get bored of it and stop

If Esperanto is an centimetre, Latin is a metre, and Ithkuil is the orbit of Pluto, Finnish is Proxima Centauri b

It takes the guy who invented it about 25 minutes to write a grammatically correct sentence, so probably about the same.

The creator recently said it wasn't fit for the limits of human cognition, he said he created it as a work of art independently from those constraints just to show the potential of a language. He said he will create a new version that's human learnable, but only much later, a decade or so until he even starts work, it's one of those things. If that's something you want to help with it will most likely be the community's focus in the future, which you can jump into in some months when you are at least familiar with the language as it stands.

Anyway I'd say go for lojban. I like the goals of ithkuil better myself too, and how it's handcrafted by an artisan rather than having chunks be computer generated, but lojban is just more complete at this point, and actually learnable to fluency.

Who are you anyway, why do you have that name? If you can already speak arabic that's a whole lot of progress already, imagine being a monolingual cuck and trying to learn conlangs and having this discouraging voice saying "if you're gonna learn a language learn a practical one instead"

That's probably what I should do tbqh, and I am sort of but loosely and without vigor, conlangs are just more fun to study and I'd like to have both but there's the issue of actual time in the day for so much independent study outside of uni.

> conlangs are just more fun to study
ever try to study nuchnat
pastebin.com/ADXBtcAA

Sorry if I get the terminology wrong, but a lojban jufta consists of selbri + bridi + bridi, right?

And in a selbri you usually have a definition like x1 gives x3 to x3

well, doesn't this require people to have a prior understanding of prepotisions, even though the language itself doesn't really use them?

how would a babby who knows no languages prior to lojban understand it?

really wanna know

bump

>how would a babby who knows no languages prior to lojban understand it?

and by this i mean how could a babby start to understand those positional/preposition-like relationships. i know the selbri definitions tend to follow a pattern but they are not all the same

Yeah that's occurred to me too
No idea though. You're right, it's taught circularly; t understand how selbri work you have to understand prepositional relationships in your own langauge.
But I mean, isn't every language like that? Any preposition doesn't have its meaning magically inherent in it, so this really isn't any different. A babby will learn selbri from how the language is used by other humans, just like in any natlang. It's still pure because the conceptualization itself, the real definition, is separate from the earth, if that makes sense at all.

Reddit.com/r/ithkuil

>but while studying it there's always a voice saying 'This is all made up nonsense.'

So just like German, eh?

can someone make a TL:DR simple explanation why is so complex?

It has 96 cases plus tones.

what is a case?
a verbal tense?

how many does spanish have?
20?

ithkuil.net/04_case.html

Bunp

ithkuil is basically assembly applied to making video games, then using video games to emulate assembly. turns out languages rely on a shitload of context and having specific cases and characters to represent all potential pieces of information is utterly useless wow

I read somewhere that it takes the creator of a language roughly 10 minutes to translate one sentence into ithkuil. It's not even a meme language, it's pure autism

so fedora tipping aside you just need a big wernicke's area to learn how to use this language

Ithkuil is vastly overengineered and it will work against it
I wish the project good luck tho

t. fellow conlanger

bamp so I can write a reply without the thread dying

Prepositions aren't anything special; they can be replaced by verbs just as well as nouns and adjectives can. They either represent predicates on their own, or they're commandeered by verbs, which themselves represent predicates, to mark which argument takes which role.

The "give ... to" case is an example of a preposition taken over by a verb. To mimic eliminating this kind of preposition, you can try paraphrasing verbs taking more than two arguments into ones taking at most two:

{x1 dunda x2 fi x3} => {lo nu faunli fa lo nu lo nu x1 ralte x2 cu tolcfa kei lo nu lo nu x3 ralte x2 cu cfari cu fasnu gi'e se djica x1}; "that, in one event, x1 stops having x2 and x3 starts having x2, happens and is wanted by x1"

As for natlang prepositions that work independently, Lojban expresses these as verbs.

"at" -> {zvati} = x1 is located at x2
"behind" -> {trixe} = x1 is behind x2
"before" -> {purci} = x1 happens before x2

So to say "I cleaned the house before the weekend", you'd do {lo nu mi jinsygau lo zdani cu purci lo jefyfa'o}

This isn't really unnatural: you will find similar cases in English where you have concepts that can be expressed both with a verb and with a preposition.

"The cat sleeps next to the wall" / "The cat sleeping neighbours the wall"
"I ran for two hours" / "My run took two hours"

And, in fact, Lojban does have some syntactic prepositions. They always have a corresponding verb like the English examples above and are seen as shorthand for those verbs. So {lo nu mi jinsygau lo zdani cu purci lo jefyfa'o} can also be expressed as {mi jinsygau lo zdani pu lo jefyfa'o}.

Ah, I use this name to post on /mena/.

I posted something earlier on /mena/ in response to someone asking whether they should learn Arabic. / You can learn colangs if you prefer them, who gives half a shit? It is great exercise. What does its practicality matter if you are learning them for fun? Just enjoy yourself, man.

Isn't the selbri for the gismu meaning bird "x1 is a bird of species x2"?
That's just so arbitrary. This is a stupid question, but why is it like that? What if you wanted to say "x1 is a bird of color/shape/sound/whatever x2"?

I don't know why they chose to do that. Many gismu have places that could be removed without breaking anything, such as material and location places. There's a gismu revision project going on that might end up removing the species places.

p10 bumpo

Kiu parolas /EO/ en cxi tiu fadeno?
Mi pensis pri krei un kanalo nur por ASMRfilmoj en Esperanto.
Kiom da vi sxatus gxin? Mi devas fari gxin?

i cant believe this thread is still going