What do you think about the windows-ification of GNU/Linux?

what do you think about the windows-ification of GNU/Linux?

>snaps/bundled software
>settings application that bundles in functionality for other optional software
>Distro designers promoting nonfree or immoral software (canonical and spotify/amazon)
>no choice in preinstalled software

Other urls found in this thread:

web.archive.org/web/20070213145541/http://modeemi.fi:80/~tuomov/b/archives/2006/12/08/T18_20_23/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

It will not be a problem as long as the users have the classic ways to do whatever they want.
Look at your pic OS. elementaryOS was perfect for my father's laptop, I told him how to use the app center to install and update software and he hadn't a problem since that. All while user on Sup Forums was ricing his gentoo machine.

Fuck off. Containers are great.

>snaps/bundled software
In some cases it's the only way how to get it done. Good if you don't overuse it.
>Distro designers promoting nonfree or immoral software (canonical and spotify/amazon)
>Plebs distro using plebs software
It's for people who just want everything to work. Use freedom oriented distro yourself
>no choice in preinstalled software
ditto

You mean windows-ification of distros made "for human beings"?

I don't use such distros so I don't give a fuck.

only thing that vaguely concerns me is snaps/flatpak, since the only use case for it is either a.) nonfree software, or b.) lazy devs who want to use specific library versions, and want to do an end-run around distro maintainers. Neither of those are things I think really ought to be endorsed.

But the nice thing is that since anyone can make a distro there's certain to be some that match my preferences.

User experience can and should be windows-ified a lot more to become more accessible, it's not like you can't have all the goods of both Windows and Linux

Flatpak is great for games and running glibc apps on musl libc systems.
>but the bundled libs
dynamic linking is a meme and we should be static linking instead

so that lazy upstreams can link against some ten-year-old OpenSSL because why bother with that boring maintenance crap when you could be adding UI animations, and my distro maintainers can't do anything about it? No thank you.

Your understanding is limited.

Your ability to provide a convincing argument is much more limited.

Bundled software is fine.
Promoting nonfree or immoral software depends. Yeah, the amazon thing isn't cool. But hey, if you're telling me "you can now better install Photoshop/Illustrator on Linux" then I won't mind.

No choice in preinstalled software... let's say that I'm not a fan of that. I don't mind preinstalled software being there, as long as I can remove it. When I cannot, or it's more troublesome to remove it, then that is a bit of an issue. I'll admit I'm always the lazy type and if I find that most of those packages I actually need are preinstalled on a distro, the few extra ones won't be a huge deal, and I'd rather do that than spend more time though.

>windows-ification
Adding forced updates?

The main problem in Linux is X-server. It is old as a fuck, and eats too much power. And the problem is that in enterprise X-server is not quite used, that is why no one will bother with it.

There is no windows-ification of linux as linux. Sure, there is, if you look at some distros that try to do that, but that makes up like 10% of all the distros available

Fucking REEEEEEEE
Then again, I use FSF-approved and or non-hipster/noob-friendly distros, so, meh...

install debian or gentoo if you want to choose.

not new
web.archive.org/web/20070213145541/http://modeemi.fi:80/~tuomov/b/archives/2006/12/08/T18_20_23/

Thanks for everyone’s input and good discussion.
Good argument
In my anecdotal experience most distros that preinstall a DE are bloated with packages I could install later. Some might argue the concept of a DE is bloat, but all I am referring to is the addition of bonus “apps” like libreoffice, document viewers, etc
True, maybe it’s healthy to have a Windowsy distro(s)
Good points
Haven’t thought of the server side of xorg, makes sense. GNU/Linux community is fortunate to have some of the software used commercially and GPL license ensures everyone benefits.
FSF approved thing doesn’t mean much to me, most distros can be 100% libre with small tweaks. I wouldn’t limit myself to FSF recommended, even though I am librebooted.
Nice article, thanks for link

what even uses the snap package thing? it came to my ubuntu installation but i have never used it.

Snaps are great fucktard

I installed Mint Mate on my uncle's potato computer 3 years ago and it's still going strong. I had to format it every couple of months when he had windows installed in it.
I'm actually thinking of installing xfce to make it look a little better.

/thread

/thread

The problem with non-FSF-approved distros is that you can easily install nonfree software without noticing, it just is less hassle like this.
Plus the only FSF-approved distros I use are LibreCMC for my router and Parabola for my Librebooted server and laptop, so, it doesn't really matter a lot for me to use another distro, because I would've probably ended up using OpenWRT and Arch either way…

Bloat crap