Coffee is technology

coffee is technology
how does Sup Forums make coffee? I use freshly ground beans and a french press

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vacuum_coffee_maker
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I use a coffee maker.

You're grinding beans and then letting water extract oils. Fucking 16th century technology.

I use a moka, simple and wonderful flavour, easy to carry around when traveling and also available in several factor form.

I was using a manual burr grinder but I got bored of spending 3 minutes grinding so I went back to my $10 blade grinder.
I use a $10 melitta #2 size ceramic pour-over because it's easier than having to wash a french press every time, plus the water pour and the blooming step is satisfying to watch.
Also friendly reminder that the quality to price ratio for coffee plateaus after $6/lb.

what ever instant coffee i grab in the store

Does it really take that long with a manual grinder ? I was thinking about getting one since I figure it'd be easier to control how coarse a grind I get than with an electric blade grinder, but 3 minutes seems ridiculous.
Also desu you don't have to clean a french press that much. I just rinse mine out with water and dump the used grounds in the sink between uses, then properly clean it once a day.

Instant coffee is alright as a backup solution when you run out of coffee at 2am and the stores are all closed I guess.

I use a manual burr grinder, but I kinda wanna go back to an electric one.
This user knows. Too much work, desu. I just use a cheap drip coffee maker right now, but I use unbleached filters, so that counts for something I guess.

I have a Kalita grinder similar to this one, and it takes a while. Maybe 5-6 minutes to grind enough for an 8 cup french press. It's worth the wait though, I don't think I'll ever be able to go back to my electric blade grinder.

Also, I have one of these Zojirushi boilers and I can't recommend them enough for anybody who uses a french press or any other coffee method that requires a hot water source. Having instant hot water is a godsend in the morning.

Do these heat water instantly, or are they burning electricity all day keeping things near boiling?

>Costco vanilla bean
>Grinder date
>Coffee maker

coffee has the potential to make a gigantic mess if you were to ever spill the bean and water slurry, why would you keep it next to your computer, even for a photo?

Fucking hipsters, get
And use the moka as literally everybody does

Got a Hamilton Beach single serve. It's good enough for what I need, which is a single cup of coffee.

Id like to try to get into pour over but I'm poor right now and I'm not sure how long it'll take to get good at making it, so I don't want to waste good coffee and I don't know how well you can practice on shit coffee because it'll always taste like shit.

I still can't believe there exist people who pay $5 for coffee every single day and consider themselves coffee aficionados, so much so that they make it part of their identity and weave it into the culture of their profession.

Because I'm not a gorilla who spills everything I touch. I've never even spilled anything with my aeropress, I don't know how people manage to do that.
I don't use the aeropress anymore though, it's a hassle compared to french press and it doesn't make better coffee.

this is the coffee equivalent of a 40% mechanical keyboard

I drink Nescafe Blend 43. It's instant coffee. I'm very lazy and it's easy.

I unironically use a k cup machine to heat up water my French press.

It's OK user, I use my coffee machine for hot water for my tea quite often.

it's literally just a manually operated drip machine, it's piss easy to use and has zero cleanup because it's all contained in the filter

now, if you want to go full autism with pour-over setup, feel free to do things like
>pre-wetting filters
>pre-warming mugs
>using a gooseneck electric kettle because you can't pour slowly for some reason
>using a drug scale to measure coffee and water down to the gram
>using a decanter carafe instead of just dripping straight into your mug
>using a timer and timing your pours in "stages"
>actually waiting a full minute for your coffee to "bloom"

>wrecking the taste of your tea with a machine used for coffee
what the fuck is wrong with you

ikea stopped selling their SS moka right as i was about to buy it REEEE

>grinds coffee for 5-6 minutes every morning
>doesn't have time to wait for water to heat up

My coffee maker has an individual part that i put the coffee in, I just have to remove that piece and then it's just hot water.

All is fine user but thanks for your concern.

oh ok that might not be so bad then

Get on my level plebs

I've only seen those in the anime picture shows, what the fuck is it?

it's a coffee siphon, it works via vacuum and is simply an extremely elaborate french press
it's supposed to look impressive in coffee shops but it offers no real benefits over other methods

but can it be converted into a bong?

It does look fucking impressive. Like a moka/still/alembic only fancy. Seems very easy to clean being simple separable parts without the silicon crap that cheapo moka pots rely on nowadays for a seal.

Kebab coffee or GTFO

what is this called? where do i get it?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vacuum_coffee_maker

This

kys

I don't do drugs.
Also, not Sup Forums.

I mean there are totally elements to coffee that are inherently Sup Forums these days. Keurig has signed RFID enabled cups and shit. Isn't this bong hours? They worship the electric kettle?

Coffee Sup Forumsurus understand that low tech is best for this sort of thing. Even shit like is low tech.

Wow, found the virgin. Only a virgin would call coffee a drug. This guy is definitely not cool. I can tell these things, no one likes to be around him.

Too strong for me. Auto coffee machines is the way to do it, no headaches.

Coffee is my drug of choice though. You can tell I'm a cool kid because I do drugs.

moka is cool but I prever vacpots/syphons cause its just like my animus

It still amazes me that people are willing to pay $40 for 3 pounds of stale ground coffee in little pods.

Random dark roast, preground, 90s drip pot

I love mixing the creamy shit at the bottom into icecream. also as an armo I'm triggered by the use of "Turkish" to describe it

Nah. /ck/ is a shit board, it is to cooking what Sup Forums is for music discussion, non-existent.

But the /g./ mod will likely 404 this so we can have another fucking apple thread.

>vacuum sealed pods with date of packaging
I mean, they do taste like shit but dont try to spread lies

/ck/ is an amazing board that only vaguely resembles cooking. Don't hate.

>triggered by calling it Turkish
It originated in the Turkey how else would you call it?

no, they literally do leave the coffee out in the open air to go stale so they can seal it up and not have it explode on store shelves

fresh ground coffee emits carbon dioxide for up to a week after being ground

>Thinks he's a cool guy cruising on coffee
>Doesn't zoom on espresso

I download the coffee molecule schematics off the internet and print them on my 3d organic printer

Get da beans from walmart, as their stock is definitely fresh, grind at home and cold brew dat shit. Best coffee ever fr

So its not only a problem with keurig? I see a lot of coffee vedors selling boxes of ground coffe in bags. Same process?

Keurig Master race
>Best tasting
>48 oz water reservoir
>has water filter to filter my already filtered water
>Literally takes 4 seconds from the time I think about a cup of coffee to be drinking it
>8 o'clock Italian dark roast there's literally nothing better
>19 cents a pod, can get boxes of 50+ on Amazon

most of those have a plastic 1-way vent in order to prevent the bag from bursting
you still shouldn't buy pre-ground coffee, it's completely stale by the time you open it.

Buy whole bean and grind it before brewing.

I hate you people. use a fucking filter ffs. why do you wanna drink coffee grounds? kys

Just pour more precisely. Are you some kind of spastic?

Anyone able to use an Aeropress without inverting it?

Whenever I do it normally it all just drips into the cup. Even if I pull the plunger up a bit to create 'vacuum' it still just drips through.

Been using the inverted method in the sink with a Hario Grinder. Works fine but I don't feel as if the coffee tastes that strong or great(let steep for 3-5 minutes).

Grinder's great purchase. Fuck blade grinders, fuck those gimmicky wooden box ones.

Probably going to buy a stainless filter when I run out of the paper ones it comes with.

Taste no. Convenience yes.

prewetting filters and prewarming mugs isn't autistic though.

it helps the filter 'flow' better(instead of getting slammed with slurry.

heating the mug keeps your drink warm longer.

Electrical grinder with timer (Mahlkonig Vario) -> cheap espresso machine (Gaggia Classic)

>LE BOOR BORE BRECISEBLY XDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD
there's always some fucking coffe grounds left over. it's the 21. fucking century. we have filters. why not use them? if someone made tea without filtering it you'd think he's stupid, but it's ok if it's coffee? kys. I'm so sick and tired of you faggots ruining coffee

I have one of these
Just put in a filter and some grounds and water and there you go
It makes pretty nice coffee, I'm happy

>it helps the filter 'flow' better
>instead of getting slammed with slurry
>slammed with slurry
>with slurry
Nigga, fucking what?

I dunno about tea but coffee grounds are literally not a problem. They ruin nothing unless you're some kinda sperg. Technological solution is not necessary because humans have fine motor skills. Maybe you're already misusing your own tech and grinding too finely.

I think Turkish is delicious even with a little grounds.

OTOH I'm generally making Espresso for time reasons.

don't lie to me. there are always coffee grounds on the bottom of the cup. I just don't get you people. clearly my way of doing it is superior because there is a 0% chance of getting any grounds in your cup so why do so many people still shill kebab coffee? it doesn't even taste any different

my brother has one. its a pain in the ass to clean. but it makes some nice coffee.

aeropress is the easiest way to make good coffee.
best way:
>paper filter in the cap, make it wet so it stays there
>wet plunger and cylinder so it moves easier
>move plunger a few cm in cylinder and have the opening upside
>put coffee in
>fill half with water (90°C) for easier stirring >(timer start)
>fill the other half
>put cap+filter on
>turn 180° put it on cup
>(some drops will fall out)
>wait until the minute mark, and start pressing
if this doesnt work you might want to buy a new press or other filters.
>let steep for 3-5 minutes
far too long user

or you know
>insert paper filter
>insert grounds
>insert water
>enjoy coffee

I've been meaning to start cooking better coffee for myself, so far I've just been using the most generic of generic cheapo coffee makers with pre-ground beans if I want an entire can to drink over the day or my Nespresso machine for just single cups of Espresso.

What kind of setup would you recommend for what is pretty much a beginner I guess?
What's important to me is that it's relatively quick if I need it to be, I don't always have time to spend 10 minutes making coffee if I'm in a rush to get out of the house

I dont drink the kebab coffee but percolators and them are fine. Even things with a wire filter are going to get grounds in it for minimal benefit.

then why not use this user?

I was talking about filter paper

Keurig and a multiuse plastic filter filled with freshly ground beans actually tastes great and it's super convenient

Mainly a decent electrical grinder with a timer / doser so you can quickly get correctly ground beans dispensed into the portafilter. I'm using the Mahlkonig Vario, but there are many other models.

And then any quick-ish heating espresso machine. As long as it can do pressurized warm water at ~the right temperature, you're already in fairly okay shape.

>aeropress is the easiest way to make good coffee.
This is wrong, french press is easier

Well okay, it depends on the amount of coffee and you had to include the time for cleaning. A single cup is faster if you make it with an aeropress. For larger quantities a French press wins.

stainless filters leave a ton of grit in

slur·ry
ˈslərē/
noun
noun: slurry; plural noun: slurries

a semiliquid mixture, typically of fine particles of manure, cement, or coal suspended in water.

Origin
late Middle English: related to dialect slur ‘thin mud,’ of unknown origin.
Translate slurry to

No it's not. I'll never use a french press again.

Aeropress clean up is instant. You just take the bottom cap off and grinds/filter pops into the trash. It's self cleaning cause the gasket pushes down all the coffee.

You also get out more liquid, versus leaving some in the grinds.

Really? Read some bad reviews, guess I'll just stick with paper.

French presses come in many sizes, even a single cup is easier with a french press than an aeropress. The paper filters you use in an aeropress are better than the coarse filter in a french press, but that's about the only advantage I see.

See Cleaning takes much more time and this makes it overall slower then an aeropress.

>not eating coffee grounds
do you hate yourself?

Look for a Stainless Steel Bialetti, it seems to be pretty much the same

I have one of these, it's super useful since it lets me easily brew my coffee at the office without having to bring an entire setup with me

is that a dildo?

It's a portable espresso machine, originally intended for camping.
You throw in your powder and hot water, pump a bit, wait, and pour.

still not espresso tho.

How does it taste? How's the crema?

Same here, been meaning to get a decent burr grinder though since my plastic one sucks ass

It's good enough. Of course it can't compete with a $500 machine, but for what it is it's surprisingly okay.

I order single origin coffee that is roasted to order and shipped overnight, I grind my beans for each use in a conical burr grinder, I use a Chemex pour over with a 16:1 water to coffee ratio, an electric temperature controlled gooseneck kettle, start with water 30 seconds off the boil, spend 15 seconds adding 3:1 water to coffee weight to bloom for 30 seconds at the start of the brew process, and then slowly add the remaining water such that I finish adding water by 2m 30s . Then I wait between 4m and 4m 30s for the brewing process to complete and enjoy my perfectly extracted coffee.

I use freshly ground Mystic Monk coffee and I use a dripper with a cloth filter.

Only non-hipster answer in this thread

I mostly drink instant. Kenco Millicano or Douwe Egberts Gold are my usual picks. They taste alright and they're the quickest and easist to make. Boil water, pour over granules, drink coffee, resume whatever I was doing before I decided to stop and make coffee. Good for getting some caffeine down my neck before going to work in the morning.

When I have a bit more time and want to enjoy the coffee more I get out my cafetiere and some grounds, whichever caught my eye when I was last shopping. Currently I have some Taylors Hot Lava Java and it's pretty good. I own a grinder but after a week I was so fucking fed up of grinding beans that I just buy grounds now.

Side note, I don't know how Americans get through life without electric kettles.

One has to ask why coffee threads are coming to Sup Forums all the time. There's a perfectly good general in /ck/ that most Sup Forums coffee posters use anyway.

You should feel bad for using a blade grinder. Why not just buy a cheap burr grinder - whilst it won't be as good as a good burr grinder, it will be a lot better than a blade grinder.

Depends on what I want to make. I use a Sage/Breville pro grind for coarse coffee, either into a technivorm (one pot a day, into a thermal carafe, for easy caffeine), or V60 for my morning cup.

When friends are around I sometimes use my syphon, or if I have a bean that easily overextracts.

If I'm making an espresso I use the mazzer super jolly to grind, and then a gaggia classic for the espresso. Not the best kit, but does a good job. I just wish it had a separate boiler for steaming.

Occasionally my aeropress gets used, but I'm quite convinced it's a meme device of little value. Even if travelling I'd rather take a one cup V60.