What's the point of buying a smartphone if it's not a flagship?

What's the point of buying a smartphone if it's not a flagship?
What's the point of $30 smartphones?

To make phone calls

Yeah but why not buy one of those Nokia burners if that's all you're doing?

To not be retarded with money.

/thread

>buy a $30 smartphone
>it inevitably breaks down in a matter of weeks
>spend another $30 on a shit-tier "smart"phone that's barely even capable of simple tasks
>not retarded

>do that
OR
>spend even less on a disposable phone
>it's indestructible and lasts for weeks without needing a recharge

My G4 Play does all the things I want it to do.

No point in getting a flagship.

Flagships don't do anything more than the other ones. They are just the premium version with most performance and best screen and everything. If you feel like you just need any smartphone and don't want to invest you can get a cheap one and it can still do everything.

That is $30.

They also have roughly the same life spans, due to batteries dying at around the same rate.

are you seriously this dense?

>buy $30 smartphone
>friend buys $1000 flagship
>2 years later, batteries are degrades
>friend spends $30 on battery replacement
>buy new $30 smartphone
>current $30 smartphone is almost as powerful as the flagship from two years ago
Thanks technology!

A generation behind is honestly the comfiest generation. Your phone isn't so handicapped it can't run the latest applications at good speed and you pay a fraction of what you do on flagships.

Honestly feel kinda sorry for the people tricked into the flagship refresh model.

>What's the point of $30 smartphones?
Wealthy people who have personal assistants on speed dial to handle everything for them. The most important function of a phone for the wealthy is battery life and call voice quality, of which iShit has neither.

>Honestly feel kinda sorry for the people tricked into the flagship refresh model.
You shouldn't. I love buying cheap droids for 1/4 of their original retail price. Got a oneplus 2 for $40.

came here to say this about the exact same model of phone

no idea why I'd need anything fancier desu

You don't need a smartphone for that.

You don't need a flagship for it either

A smartphone used as a dumbphone is still far better than a dumbphone solely for the address book and touch screen UI.

>just bought clean iPhone 6 Plus 64GB for 80USD, no problem at all other than small crack
>people with brand new iPhone X/8 at Apple store to fix their 1000$ phone
kek

why spend 1000$ on a phone that will be worth 500$ in couple months when I can get a phone that's literally the same for 100-200$?

>iPhone
lmao

Enjoy your 50MBps flash memory on the phone.

Nvme will take over

APPLE BTFOs android

My OnePlus One still does everything I need after 3 years. Why should I buy a new one?

iTODDLERS BTFO

Same.

Enjoy the botnet and vulnerabilities in a few years that will be coming.
Remember Sup Forums

Wrong. Krait 400 CPU aren't affected and I literally get monthly automatic updates.
Meanwhile every iToy gets forced lagOS malware and are killed off enmasse every year right before the newest model launches.

0 notifications, you don’t get any pussy or even talk to anyone huh? Got a few nerd friends and your parents? Sad life to live if you ask me. Got a lot of time on your hand for smart phone

>buy 30$ phone
>install custom ROM, customize, rice it
>you can make calls, take pictures and videos, play games, use IM and VoIP, make ftp server, use ssh and all
>it works flawlessly
Buying flagships is as dump as buying apple devices for me

This. The only thing I'd like to have is NFC, so I might replace it soon.

>wanting the wireless botnet on your phone

>implying i can't sell it back to some dumb cuck for more even if it stops working
lmaOooo

>iToddler gets BTFO and has no argument
Have a (You) iPoorfag, maybe you can exchange it for a blowjob at the Apple Gay Bar. :^)

Maybe he just checks his notifications?

>itoddlers actually brag about having 5000 spam emails cluttering up their inbox notifications because they're brainlet technology illiterates and post their info all over the internet
L
M
A
O

If you need a phone for occasional/light use but don’t use it much, no need to spend huge amounts. Not sure I’d go down to $30 level but I’d have no hesitation recommending a few phones in the £100ish category. t. Flagship user.

Isn't the 30 dollar phone just the same as the flagship from 5 years ago, more or less?

But that's not the question.
People buy smartphones to do more than just make calls. The question states: Why not do it with a flagship? Why use a cheapshit smartphone?
If you just want to make calls and nothing else, you don't need to use a smartphone at all.

because I'm not balding yet desu

OnePlus One is a flagship.
OP isn't saying you need to buy a new phone annually. The question pertains to why shitty cheap phones exist; the nameless ones you buy at a CricKet store.

why do these threads always turn into "ITODDLERS BTFO APPLE IS BANKRUPT ETERNALLY STOP SHILLING PAJEET POO IN LOO"
what the fuck, it's like clockwork

>ITODDLERS BTFO APPLE IS BANKRUPT ETERNALLY STOP SHILLING PAJEET POO IN LOO
Said no one.

see
Are you fucking blind?

why pay that much for a phone if you arent a phone addict when i can just buy a thinkpad with that money instead and actually enjoy using it unlike a tiny touch screen that makes typing anything very uncomfortable. often the cheap phones are also better than the flagships.. can your overpriced brick even boot itself when you set an alarm and turn it off?

They are right though.

nice try but you cant install custom roms on low end androids

Right, I meant something like 100-200$ phone.

>why buy a good phone when I could buy a meme laptop instead?

>letting your notifications pile up while you're using your phone

I have an iphone x because regardless of what anyone here says it does have the fastest chipset available by quite a large step.

It is the most secure phone available required for work. Don't meme me out with haaha but government suing is just a cover for their backdoors@@!! Anyone can root an android.

It's $1,500 which is literally fuck all in life every 24 months. Less then a weeks work for something you use several hours a day to make money and find information on.

i buy NOS flagship phones from a few years back. now using 2 moto x2 so i can do nice full 3d video. last flagship i got new as it came out was omnia 1. wish I hadn't. its better to wait at least one year to see what turns out shit. the latest flagshit lenovo moto z doesn't have the features of my x2

>just buy one of last years cheap when it's 50% off
>don't act like a retard and handle it with care
>spend 4 years with it before hopping to the next generation

Best strategy.

For calling people, listening to music browsing the internet and youtube

You're fucking retarded if you actually believe a rich person is buying your 30$ Micromax Phone Pajeet edition Rakesh. Like seriously do you even believe that?

Still have a one plus one and it hasn't run anything slow. Smartphone needs are plateauing and manufacturers don't get this.

Doesn't have the features I want

So I don't have to worry about being robbed or dropping it as much
So I can spend the money on literally anything else

this brainlet does not know that the notifications go away after you read it

>This is how he copes with being poor.
I don't get it, why not just be poor and proud? Why lie to yourself and the internet?

>buy a $300 phone
>it does all I want, even gaming
>has microSD slot if I want to store a bunch or movies or something
I see no reason to spend $1000 on a phone.

Found the defensive itoddler. That post didn't imply that at all.

>buy last gen's flagship for 1/3-1/5 of the original price
Werks fine

Oh yes, because everyone who disagrees's with you owns Apple products, tell me more Rejeesh?
I'm sorry that you live in a country where people are dumb enough to actually steal phones and that you can't afford a flagship and as such, you tell yourself that you'll just spend that money on something else! But the truth is, you don't have any money at all :(

Wealthy people who have personal assistants on speed dial to handle everything for them. The most important function of a phone for the wealthy is battery life and call voice quality

So he's implying that an iPhone X has worst call quality and battery life and call quality then a 30$ smartphone, if so he's a fucking retard. I don't give a shit about brands, I just have an issue with you Pajeets just spreading blatantly false information.

People with flagship phones use: insta, youtube for music videos and let's plays, whatsapp, the short live video thing, face, hearthstone and maybe outlook mobile.

The people who actually have use for good camera in a phone or something are in my estimates about 0,00001% of people.

Prove me wrong.

You're 99% a faggot
Prove me wrong.

Of the people who buy flagship phones, how many of them actually need all the power and features they have?

People who don't want to have a shitty experience spend more on their phone. Sorry to tell you this, but a device with a Snapdragon 430 will lag all over the place and end up taking longer to do simple tasks. As such people just take out what is essentially an interest-free loan and buy a smartphone via a contract or a tab. It's truly and honestly that simple, nobody is buying the S8 for the all the obscure features, but for it to do what they want quickly and without lag.

But you don't need to go all the way to a flagship if you're just looking for less lag.

I love my Moto G Play but I want to upgrade to something a bit better so games aren't laggy? Any recommendations? $250 is my limit.

For me it's WhatsApp I have a smartphone only for reading the group chat of my uni class

Protip: Sup Forums is still slow.

So you can't. Name one useful app that doesn't work on well kept two year old midrange phone?

Anything below a Snapdragon 650 is a lagging mess, I've used a Snap 400 series device, a Snap 600 series and the only one that I've seen that didn't lag that wasn't within the 800 series, was the 650 and that was on a device that basically costs the same amount as a flagship. Lag is just a part of the lower end CPU's.

A two-year-old midrange phone? OK, so for this exercise I chose Motorola Moto G4 Plus, I have since upgraded to an iPhone 8, if you need an example of something that works better, I'd say quite literally everything. Bootup is faster on the iPhone 8, there's far less lag throughout the UI on the iPhone 8, the device heat's up a shit ton less. Upon bootup of my device (the G4) I wouldn't be able to even use the phone because it had to load up all the app's again and it'd heat up like crazy, with the iPhone 8, I got the same apps and it does it without breaking a sweat. Games load faster and maintain higher frame rates for far longer. The kicker is the fact that I spent 450$ on the Moto G4 Plus, I ended up spending 360 on the iPhone 8 via a 15$ tab for 24 months. This is my own personal anecdote, so take it as you wish. Nobody is saying it's mandatory to buy a flagship to have a usable device, but to have a decent experience, you should buy one.

This is also using the Moto G4 plus, a borderline "high end" smartphone, if we really want to go back, we could go to the Moto G3 which (I also owned) and will confirm was far worst.

No one should pay more than 30$ for any smartphone period.

>What's the point of $30 smartphones?
a burner cost that, you fuck

Buy a phone via a tab, stop being stupid and buying devices outright.

>Moto G3
Was it any worse than a Moto G2? Jesus fuck that thing is a nightmare.

fucking kek, this amount of projection

> (You)
>Buy a phone via a tab, stop being stupid and buying devices outright.
Are you mentally retarded? I pay $15 for 3gb of data and never go over...unlimited texts, calling, etc.

Why would I waste money being gouged on a tab?

What's the point of buying a flagship smartphone?
What's the point of $1000 smartphones?

I've owned all the way down to the G2, but the G2 stands out as the least laggy to me and that's likely because I owned it for a lesser amount of time (dindu nuffin's probably got to it when it was in my bag during gym) but the G3 performed basically the same, but after a the honeymoon phase, it was terrible, but both use the same CPU. The G4 at first was a pleaseant step up, this was until I tried charging it and it honestly felt like a space heater. It was able to sustain out of the box performance for far longer, but eventually it gave up the ghost (probably was all the social media apps) and became a laggy mess. I got tired of having to wipe my Android devices just because I have too many apps install and I just bit the bullet and tried out the iPhone 8 because I could get it on a tab. So far, my only complaint is the lack of the inclusion of Bluetooth earbuds (if you're gonna force me to dongle, at least give me something to remedy it, even if its a lesser quality) and the 720P display. However, that display might be for the better with regards to battery life.

With actual lag in usage that's fair. I'm on moto x play and it started lagging as hell until I installed android 7.1 and hard reset. Now everything is fine again.

I also give you that people use phones differently. Some perverts run always on browser with 40+ tabs on phone.

t. virgin nerd

15$ a month for Galaxy S8 = 360$
Flagship from 2017 = 400$
The fuck are you talking about gouging? It's fucking 15$ extra per month, what is that gonna throw you into bankruptcy you fucking tripfag? You won't find a decent phone for 250, it's really that simple. Don't agree? Go on eBay and see what you'll find for 250.

My G2 must be an outlier then, because it runs horribly even after resetting it.

I'm not a cheapfag advocate but there are some valid reasons.

Flagships tend to be "edgy" and jump dick first into new features that are usually immature for widespread use or are duds completely.

Their overinflated prices are just a part of the manufactures elaborate shill campaigns.

I usually get the second or third best device the manufacturer offers because I know the price is going to be realistic and the specs and build quality are going to be slightly lower than the flagship minus whatever meme is it that season.

I understand the need for 30$ devices but usually would go for anything under 80$ (that's kind of the sweet spot for low-end smartphones, regular phones are basically made by two manufacturing plants these days so who gives a fuck).

My personal gripe with the G4 wasn't even the poor performance in apps, it was just constant lag across the UI and tasks that felt like they should have taken milliseconds that took seconds.

> (You)
>15$ a month for Galaxy S8 = 360$
>Flagship from 2017 = 400$
>The fuck are you talking about gouging? It's fucking 15$ extra per month, what is that gonna throw you into bankruptcy you fucking tripfag? You won't find a decent phone for 250, it's really that simple. Don't agree? Go on eBay and see what you'll find for 250.
It's not my fault you are stupid as fuck with your money and you don't know how to set up a VoIP account with a data plan.

This is one of the main reasons I'd never go flagship day one. Same with every MS product and game in existence. Day one buying is a mistake.

I'd ask what's the point of spending $1000 on a phone when an iPhone SE (which is $350) can do everything an iPhone X can.

I don't get what the point of spending 350 outright on a device if you're gonna end up with a carrier.
The post is based upon the assumption you're like the other 99% of the North American population and are with a carrier, stick to your plan that requires you to have internet for even the most basic functions of a smartphone and enjoy trying to find a decent device for 250$.

What's the point of buying a smartphone if it's not a normal phone?
What's the point of $1000 smartphones?

When the fp is also the bp

Always pay your shit in full. Otherwise you're just asking to get in debt.

Or just take an interest-free loan?

I bought a cheap one because it was decently specced and had a removable battery. Thankfully batteries are cheap for this thing. I carry a few in my bag with me when I travel for work.

What's the point of this thread?
What's the point of asking such retarded, dumb questions?
What's the point of your life? Just end it, you dumbass.

So you are not wrong. Today you can get a $30 Android or a $100 iOS. Do they basically do the same thing? Sure. But then so does a 55" LCD TV for $500 and a 77" OLED TV for $22,000.

To some extent the more expensive item IS better and more capable than the less expensive version, but in both cases both do the same core job the same way.

In the end, buy what you can afford and want. If someone bitches, tell em fuck off and punch em in the face.